Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2007, 20:33   #106
nbr
BHPian

hey SAMURAI, are you really inclined towards the GURKHA. If 4*4 is the sole reason for you to buy the GURKA, y can't you consider the BOLERO series ,which r equally rugged like the GURKA, and offer better refinement and snob appeal.
Old 8th February 2007, 21:26   #107
Team-BHP Support

nbr, if you really think Bolero = Gurkha, you haven't read this thread.
Old 8th February 2007, 22:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Anyway, now my wife is also catching the 4x4 bug. She wants me to sell the Baleno and go for Gurkha.
A Samurai riding a Gurkha - now that would be something, wouldnt it?

No offence meant, but the Gurkha lacks any sort of creature comfort. The roads around your area arent bad enough to warrant you riding around in tractor comfort.

It can never replace a sedan. Dont get carried away by the 4X4 videos - how many times in your life would you be doing that?
Old 8th February 2007, 23:39   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No offence meant, but the Gurkha lacks any sort of creature comfort. The roads around your area arent bad enough to warrant you riding around in tractor comfort.

It can never replace a sedan. Dont get carried away by the 4X4 videos - how many times in your life would you be doing that?
Agreed that the Gurkha can never replace the comforts of a sedan, but Samurai himself mentioned that he lives in a village with Bad roads..

True, you may not get plush leather seats and AC and other stuff.. But a rugged machine with basic necessities are available in a Gurkha..

Maybe its not all that bad after-all..
Old 8th February 2007, 23:55   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not so quick...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force4x4.com
The Gurkha features a double wishbone independent front suspension with torsion bars and a rear live axle with elliptical leaf springs. Both front and rear axles have anti roll bar while the rear axle has additional stabilizer bars. All these things mean nothing till you take a ride in the Gurkha and are amazed by the ultra smooth ride even on the roughest roads. You really have to ride it to believe it.
Quote:
I have places around here where I can do that. Don't forget we have two sedans and a hatch at home. It is not like 4x4 will become my only ride. Actually I can offroad in my office plot. Anyway, I won't make up my mind until I try my cousin's Gurkha properly.
Old 8th February 2007, 23:58   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
True, you may not get plush leather seats and AC and other stuff.. But a rugged machine with basic necessities are available in a Gurkha..
Actually it does come with PS and AC, leather seat can be put later, for me art-leather will do.
Old 9th February 2007, 09:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post
but Samurai himself mentioned that he lives in a village with Bad roads.. ..
Errr - the "village" part is an exaggeration. I mean, which village has a few dozen pubs and stuff?

It is a cool small town.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:02   #113
NIP
Senior - BHPian

samurai...i think the gurkha will be a good 'hobby-vehicle' if you get one. keep it for life and work on customizing it over the weekends/holidays. a nice set of alloys with rubbers to match, and some good art-leather seats should be a good start IMHO. i personally think the gurkhas are better built than the Mahindra MM540/CJ Series anyway - not to mention the MB engines compared to the rackety MM ones. there are people I know who use the Mahindras as daily transport and are extremely happy about it...

IFAIK, there are 2 types of off road janta. ones who like it cushy and 'never want to get dirty' types who drive expensive SUV-type vehicles (endeavour, terracan, CRV, tucson etc.), who get most of their action in the Pub/Mall parking lots...and the mud-bashing 'never mind those scratches' types who live and drive to work everyday in estates/mountains etc. and drive MMs, Gypsies etc. i think we dont fit into either of these categories as of now , but 'hobby 4x4' enthusiasts are somewhere in between maybe !? check this out for inspiration:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...9/Landy4no.jpg

and a good read on soft-roaders / off-roaders here:
About.com: http://motortrend.com/buyersguide/buylease/112_0407_ic_offroad/

PS: please do post pictures/reviews on your cousins Gurkha asap.

Last edited by NIP : 9th February 2007 at 10:22.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
samurai...i think the gurkha will be a good 'hobby-vehicle' if you get one. keep it for life and work on customizing it over the weekends/holidays.
Now THAT sounds like fun ! Samurai san dont lose the Baleno. I know of another person thats picking up 2 of these Limited Edition Gurkhas, so perhaps you can use his help in the 'customizing' part.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:29   #115
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now THAT sounds like fun ! Samurai san dont lose the Baleno. I know of another person thats picking up 2 of these Limited Edition Gurkhas, so perhaps you can use his help in the 'customizing' part.
steeroid, you lose and gain sedans/cars around your 4x4...the right one stays for life . and besides, i aint talkin about monster trucks or dune bashing here...plain simple custom jobs which samurai can handle without any help. not to mention all the fun he can have, considering his love for the outdoors...!

Last edited by NIP : 9th February 2007 at 10:30.
Old 9th February 2007, 11:30   #116
NIP
Senior - BHPian

talkin about inspiration for a 'custom' job, here's a few pics. i think force motors needs to do some homework before on slapping some ridiculous front grills:

Last edited by NIP : 9th February 2007 at 11:34.
Old 9th February 2007, 12:46   #117
Team-BHP Support

Wow NIP, that looks cool, it is the LWB version with 4 doors.

These days I rarely get to drive above 100Kmph even on highways thanks to bad roads and slow traffic. Therefore it makes more sense for me to switch to a slower 4x4 and have some off-roading fun. If I go for luxury SUVs like Safari/Scorpio 4x4, they will be well over 11Lakhs and I may never take it off-road.

Anyway, I am not in a hurry. I will take my time checking out Gurkha in person and then decide.
Old 9th February 2007, 13:56   #118
BHPian

Samurai san... Is the Engine The BS3 one with EGR Developed by Merc or an Force Motors upgarde of their OM 616??
Old 9th February 2007, 18:16   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Samurai san... Is the Engine The BS3 one with EGR Developed by Merc or an Force Motors upgarde of their OM 616??
I only reported what was forwarded by my cousin, exactly what is in message#100. Don't know any more.
Old 9th February 2007, 18:33   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YES Force motors is planning in a big way...

1) New engine OM611 which will go in production next month
2) New Body styling a combination of both Scorpio & Sumo
3) A New Gear Box G32
4) Recently a whole new chassis called rationalised chassis.

Also underway is new face of Traveller.
If this is the case, then the possibilities with the new engine and gearbox are endless for 4X4 enthusiasts. Although Force Motors would have to skip a few generations in fit & finish department to match M&M, not to mention the marketing strategy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks