Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 18:12   #556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Gurkha always came in SWB,..the MWB is the JUDO, the LWB is the GAMMA
Not correct. The Gama and Judo are the same size, in fact Gama is the new name of Judo, you could say, although it may be disputed. Anyway, both are 2750mm wheelbase and would be considered LWB. The Gurkha is at 2400mm (I think) is actually a MWB, even Mahindra Major at 2311mm is a MWB. The only vehicles that can be considered SWB are CJ340/Classic and the eariler CJxx cousins of same 2032mm wheelbase.
Old 31st January 2009, 18:20   #557
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
@ Gurkha - Doesn't the TG have great pose value on the road as well; well I think so! In that case taking off the bull bar might help!
Dunno about pose value, the Gurkha is a perform value and in that case, bull bars are all but a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not correct. The Gama and Judo are the same size, in fact Gama is the new name of Judo, you could say, although it may be disputed. Anyway, both are 2750mm wheelbase and would be considered LWB. The Gurkha is at 2400mm (I think) is actually a MWB, even Mahindra Major at 2311mm is a MWB. The only vehicles that can be considered SWB are CJ340/Classic and the eariler CJxx cousins of same 2032mm wheelbase.

Samruai is correct, there is SWB Gurkha and LWB Judo and nothing else. The Gamma is basically Judo minus the 4WD and 16" plus no control arms for rear suspension. There is anti roll bar there present on both.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2009 at 18:41. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 31st January 2009, 18:44   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
All of you who are not interested in DIY, please don't even consider this vehicle, ...
Gurkha,

I’m seriously considering Gurkha or Gama along with my other choices.

Apologies if this question is too basic in this section, but can you please elaborate on the expected DIY skills?

Also, what are the core differences (where it matters) between Gurkha and Gama - apart from the wheelbase? My only source in Force website.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31st January 2009, 18:47   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Gamma is basically Judo minus the 4WD and 16" plus no control arms for rear suspension. There is anti roll bar there present on both.
Gama is available with 4WD + BSII, but can't be combined with PS, AC or BSIII engine.

GAMA (LWB) - 4WD + BSII engine
GAMA (LWB) - 2WD + BSII/BSIII + AC + PS
Gurkha (MWB) - 4WD + BSIII + AC + PS + Diff locks + Snorkel + some more.
Old 31st January 2009, 19:06   #560
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_now View Post
Gurkha,

I’m seriously considering Gurkha or Gama along with my other choices.

Apologies if this question is too basic in this section, but can you please elaborate on the expected DIY skills?

Also, what are the core differences (where it matters) between Gurkha and Gama - apart from the wheelbase? My only source in Force website.

Thanks in advance.
Initial quality control on Gurkha fitting is poor, that means you need to be technically inclined. The engine or tranny would have no issues, but bolts are left loose on chassis, body and other places so you need to get that fixed. Also you need to make sure about oils and other maintainence issues which need to be done with owner supervision. DIY in this case means know thy vehicle, know it well. Thats all.
Old 31st January 2009, 19:13   #561
BHPian

Thanks for the correction ! Somehow member rrss (not getting his handle right) videos and pictures on his homepage I think. Force4x4.com looked more compact than the images in your test drive of the Gamma ! Yup looks can be decieving especially if you'r comparing different colors. But then spec.don't lie
Old 31st January 2009, 20:08   #562
BHPian

some things that i noticed about the gurkha as it made its way through the trail attempting various obstacles. The vehicle has ample amounts of torque and great credentials but the chaps over at force tested the car in rajasthan and rajasthan alone. The entire setup and the 4x4 is best suited to soft sand and a few bits arent particularly suited to slush/mud/loose rocks. Firstly as mentioned by rhandle the bumpers are ridiculously low.
also the car is way too heavy for serious climbs and the body is bulky. If there is one vehicle that has a chance of rollover at an OTR it is this. But i guess that is the price you have to pay for creature comforts.
thirdly, the factory tyres are best suited to ROAD /SAND, they FAIL in mud and slush. i thought visibility was another issue, esp for the driver.
i wouldnt call the gurkha a half hearted attempt at an offroader. its the best combination of both worlds availaible in india today. but its just not well thought out and it will only succeed to become the weekend warriors weapon of choice. nothing more.
no offence to any car owners. its just my opinion and any corrections are welcome.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st January 2009 at 21:12. Reason: Removed excessive dots and added space after punctuations
Old 31st January 2009, 21:46   #563
BANNED

I see.........so if Gurkha is half hearted attempt, what is full hearted, I am just curious? So far I have done trails in Himachal monsoon that would make the sand dunes child's play. If Gurkha is heavy, so is G Wagen, FJ et al and they take dunes with ease. Gurkha has been tested by the best and has been around since 1987, its not a new phenomenon or a so called ' Weekend Warrior ' toy but a serious tool for those who know how to use it. If Gurkha is a weekend warrior toy, then I guess the venerable G Wagen is a toy as well. The OEM tires are made for basic off road use but even then veterans like Arkaprava Datta of JEEP Thrills rate it quite high. If you want serious tires then Yokohama Geolandar AT-S, MT or Toyo Open Country would do wonders. By the way, Force and the Germans have tested Gurkha all over and just not Rajasthan, in 1988 it was tested at Siachen and other snowy regions, the Germans torture tested it in the MB proving grounds, then it was taken to Alps for a thorough beating where it survived.

Next time, try one for a week as German 4x4 mag did and trust me, you would consider it differently. Don't worry, there is really no damage that can be done to a vehicle which has among the highest ground clearance and the strongest differential, combined with tubular chassis and front IFS made with forged steel, its indomitable as I have learned time and again and I have had many other 4WD in my stables in the past. My brother owns the G Wagen as well so I have had plenty of exposure to the best and my perspective comes from that.

Last edited by Gurkha : 31st January 2009 at 21:51.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:04   #564
BHPian

Looks like we have a new Gurkha thread

I was looking forward to seeing TSK1979 at the OTR? Sir where art thou?
Old 31st January 2009, 23:49   #565
BHPian

Quote:
I see.........so if Gurkha is half hearted attempt, what is full hearted, I am just curious?
sir you have not even understood my post.maybe if you read through it a couple of times you will realize that it says "i wouldnt call the Gurkha a half hearted attempt at an offroader. its the best combination of both worlds available in india today."

Quote:
If Gurkha is heavy, so is G Wagen, FJ et al and they take dunes with ease
exactly my point...as i have mentioned in my post.

Quote:
If you want serious tires then Yokohama Geolandar AT-S, MT or Toyo Open Country would do wonders.
all these tyres are aftermarket.some can give a ford fusion unimaginable capabilities.
Quote:
By the way, Force and the Germans have tested Gurkha all over and just not Rajasthan, in 1988 it was tested at Siachen and other snowy regions, the Germans torture tested it in the MB proving grounds, then it was taken to Alps for a thorough beating where it survived.
i agree.and after seeing pictures of these "torture tested" gurkhas its pretty clear that more than half the vehicles worth was spent on reinforcements and modifications.my point was to evaluate off the shelf off roaders.....take for example the 550/540.
Old 1st February 2009, 02:00   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not correct. The Gama and Judo are the same size, in fact Gama is the new name of Judo, you could say, although it may be disputed. Anyway, both are 2750mm wheelbase and would be considered LWB. The Gurkha is at 2400mm (I think) is actually a MWB, even Mahindra Major at 2311mm is a MWB.
Note where the rear wheel wells are in the photos below of Gama and Gurkha and the difference in the rear most side window. Gurkha and Sumo have the same wheel base interestingly enough, 2400mm. Tata once offered a 4x4 Sumo but a couple years ago relegated it exclussively to the Army.
Attached Thumbnails
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-force-gurka-1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 1st February 2009, 02:01   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not correct. The Gama and Judo are the same size, in fact Gama is the new name of Judo, you could say, although it may be disputed. Anyway, both are 2750mm wheelbase and would be considered LWB. The Gurkha is at 2400mm (I think) is actually a MWB, even Mahindra Major at 2311mm is a MWB.
Note where the rear wheel wells are in the photos below of Gama then Gurkha. Gurkha is about Sumo size.
Old 1st February 2009, 04:12   #568
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
sir you have not even understood my post.maybe if you read through it a couple of times you will realize that it says "i wouldnt call the Gurkha a half hearted attempt at an offroader. its the best combination of both worlds available in india today."

exactly my point...as i have mentioned in my post.

all these tyres are aftermarket.some can give a ford fusion unimaginable capabilities. i agree.and after seeing pictures of these "torture tested" gurkhas its pretty clear that more than half the vehicles worth was spent on reinforcements and modifications.my point was to evaluate off the shelf off roaders.....take for example the 550/540.
No one in right mind takes the vehicle off road with stock OEM tires as they are at best compromise.

Its futile to even compare a vehcile like G, FJ or Gurkha which comes with diff locks on front and rear as well as far better ground clearance to something like MM550 which at its best is a compromise, even the powertrain of the Mahindras can't hold up to the abuse that the Gurkha can take. MM550 aint' no Rubicon, as a matter of fact, far from it.
Old 1st February 2009, 14:22   #569
BHPian

Hey Everyone,

Lets put it this way " GURKHA IS THE UNDISPUTED KING OF THE OFF ROADS, JUST LIKE THE G WAGON AND FJ" But a Jeep's a JEEP period.

Now does that make everyone feel better. Now can we stick to the NCR OTR.

Cheer !!!!!!!

P.S - 0333, I totally agree with what you said.
Old 1st February 2009, 14:56   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Lets put it this way " GURKHA IS THE UNDISPUTED KING OF THE OFF ROADS, JUST LIKE THE G WAGON AND FJ" But a Jeep's a JEEP period.

Now does that make everyone feel better. Now can we stick to the NCR OTR.

Cheer !!!!.
Randeep, that's a sweet way to put your point accross.
Somehow all this Gurkha talk was making me believe that the only 4x4's left in the world are Gurkhas, FJs and G Wagens.
Let's forget who is the best and enjoy what we have without worrying about it's pedigree.
May all the 4x4s co-exist in peace!!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks