Team-BHP - Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/11847-trax-gurkha-good-gets.html)

I'm looking for a jeep and have heard great things about the Trax Gurkha (2400 mm SWB) from Bajaj Tempo. Supposed to have awesome offroad abilities. Can anyone suggest where I can get more dope on it, since one has to place an order to get it? (There's almost no possibility of a test-drive as it's only available on a made-to-order basis.) Does anyone own one? Are there any road reports on it? Comments, guys...

There was a user called Gurkha on the forum who has one. He is not active, unfortunately. I've sent you his number - call him and ask for feedback.

I read about the Trax Gurkha in one of the auto mags. Don't remember which. It is supposed to be a very capable off-roader but is not very suitable for somebody used to creature comforts of modern cars.

:OTBajaj Tempo has now been renamed to Force Motors.

I dont know much now about the Gurkha but i know that it is appreciated a lot not for its quality or its creature comforts but for its great off road abilities. not only indian mags but even some German mags had apreciated its forte but i feel that they are primarily meant 4 the xport markets and thus they are a rare sight on our roads.

Check out the Trekker or the Judo. They are very rugged and reliable.

the trax really dint make waves as ,it had suspension problems . The front suspension used to have a lot of problems and that was another reason the matador is extinct ,these days .

I have driven M&M Jeeps (CLs and Commanders)extensively and Trax (Old ones) too. In terms of driveability and comfort, Trax range is better anyday. But they are broader and longer which makes it difficult to take them up the hills.

In terms of Pure Off-roadability, I have not seen anything better CL. I have driven it on forests of Western Ghats (Gypsy King is not for poor men)

Suggest you also check out Bolero. In case you are not going to do hill climbing all day

u can mail BTL(Force motors) guys and request for a brochure and details.
Btl also displayed a macho looking offroader at auto expo'04 designed by DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by agspins
u can mail BTL(Force motors) guys and request for a brochure and details.
Btl also displayed a macho looking offroader at auto expo'04 designed by DC

The Kargo King DCPU looks quite macho..

Manish

I went to Khivraj motors to check on the DCPU, but i was blown away by the Gurkha.. It appears that the Gurkha is made to order, transported from the Pithampur plant of BTL (now Force Motors). The sales person told me that Force motors is coming out with new-looking fronts for almost all of its vehicles..

Hell, i did not know that Force motor vehicles are powered by engines from MB..

I gurkha 4x4 with a soft-top, a-la Mahindra Classic, and the OM-611 engine would blow away all the so-called SUV's by its sheer performance and capabilities..

Here is another link to the Tempo Trax Gurkha discussions..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...po+Trax+Gurkha

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
I have driven M&M Jeeps (CLs and Commanders)extensively and Trax (Old ones) too. In terms of driveability and comfort, Trax range is better anyday. But they are broader and longer which makes it difficult to take them up the hills.

In terms of Pure Off-roadability, I have not seen anything better CL. I have driven it on forests of Western Ghats (Gypsy King is not for poor men)

Suggest you also check out Bolero. In case you are not going to do hill climbing all day

Suggest that you take a look at the 2400mm Gurkha and you will forget all about CJ's and CL's. A Jeep wrangler is the only other vehicle which comes closer to a Gurkha..

Quote:

Originally Posted by man23ish
Suggest that you take a look at the 2400mm Gurkha and you will forget all about CJ's and CL's. A Jeep wrangler is the only other vehicle which comes closer to a Gurkha..

I agree I should. The Tempo/Force diesel engines are really smooth compared to those found in Mahindra range. From your post it appears that Force motors is planning to revamp the looks department. Let's see

Do you have the specs? I am not seeing Gurkha listed on their website

even automags like autocar india say nothin can touch the gurkha
in off roading this side of a hummer

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmehta
even automags like autocar india say nothin can touch the gurkha in off roading this side of a hummer

I second that thought.. Check out the following link

http://www.force4x4.com/video/4x4.wmv

Manish

Hello all,

My name is Ramachandran. The proud owner of a JUDO 4x4. I would rate this vehicle as one of the best off road vehicles I have ever driven. I regularly go to the Jungles and take my vehicle off road. It is a monster off road. No matter how hard I try to get stuck, It just doesnt get stuck. The diff locks are like a magic. When you get stuck, just lock your diffs and it moves you out of the hazard like a freight train. I wont waste any more time telling you how good it is offroad.

However what makes this vehicle endearing is , It performs on road too. I has very good pickup. A top speed of 130Kmph + and a very very smooth engine. The ride is very comfortable too.

There is body rattling, the seats are not of very good quality , the leaf springs and bushes squeak etc. But all these are minor things that one can fix easliy.

BTW, www.force4x4.com is my website . You can go check out pictures of tigers and elephants and Gaurs at www.force4x4.com/gallery Click on "WILD LIFE AND GETAWAY PICTURES"

And about the Bolero 4x4. I used to have one. If you intend to do any serious offroading , please save your money. It has many problems when you take it offroad. You can also see pictures of the different ways in which the bolero can get stuck on my website.