Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2014, 19:57   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2000 Armada Grand 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Shubendra, Actually to be brutally honest, it is easy and jolly-good to be without a 4x4. (READ - Jeep).
Somehow, I had missed it earlier. Anyway, congrats on growing up. (I guess having a child does that!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th December 2014, 11:32   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
Is it worth the effort if what you want is a reliable vehicle under 3 Lacs which can be used for long distance travelling to remote areas with 80% on road and 20% off road situation.
If done properly There will be no problem at all. Best part with Mahindra Vehicles are you get spares and mechanic almost everywhere. If you get base vehicle within 70K (Armadas are retailing at 60-80 K in Poona) then you will still have 2.3 lacs. Now if you add below expenses:
1) Most important : documentation update (tax, insurance) - 10K
2) Engine: DiTurbo - 75 K
3) Tyres on stock rims - 30 K
4) Electricals - 10K
5) Upholestry - 10K
6) Paint - 20 K
7) Mechanicals & labor (including basic mechanical work) - 50K

Total: 2.25 Lacs
It all depends on condition of base vehicle.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 17:25   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

If done properly There will be no problem at all. Best part with Mahindra Vehicles are you get spares and mechanic almost everywhere. If you get base vehicle within 70K (Armadas are retailing at 60-80 K in Poona) then you will still have 2.3 lacs. Now if you add below expenses:
1) Most important : documentation update (tax, insurance) - 10K
2) Engine: DiTurbo - 75 K
3) Tyres on stock rims - 30 K
4) Electricals - 10K
5) Upholestry - 10K
6) Paint - 20 K
7) Mechanicals & labor (including basic mechanical work) - 50K

Total: 2.25 Lacs
It all depends on condition of base vehicle.

Shubhendra
75k for a rebuilt engine from Mahindra?
Old 16th December 2014, 10:59   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
75k for a rebuilt engine from Mahindra?
75K for used engine from total loss vehicle. If i am not wrong new DiTurbo engine costs 1.85 Lacs + taxes from Mahindra.

Shubhendra
Old 16th December 2014, 11:27   #215
BHPian

Quote:

75K for used engine from total loss vehicle. If i am not wrong new DiTurbo engine costs 1.85 Lacs + taxes from Mahindra.

Shubhendra
1.85 lac must be the cost of a new engine. Any idea of the cost of a rebuilt engine from mahindra?

I know Tata offers rebuilt engines for about half the cost of new.

Would it make sense to get a rebuilt engine from mahindra (if available) at 10 - 15% higher cost . instead of letting a local garage tinker with it.
Old 17th December 2014, 10:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I know Tata offers rebuilt engines for about half the cost of new.
I am not aware of any such practice in Mahindra.

Shubhendra
Old 18th December 2014, 19:59   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information Dhanush. Now a very open ended question -

Is it worth the effort if what you want is a reliable vehicle under 3 Lacs which can be used for long distance travelling to remote areas with 80% on road and 20% off road situation.
The XD3P as such is reliable. If properly rebuilt. Reliability wise, a stock vehicle with properly rebuilt engine would score higher than swapped Di engine'd vehicle.
Quote:
If done properly There will be no problem at all. Best part with Mahindra Vehicles are you get spares and mechanic almost everywhere.
Basically, there will be no problem with the engine. But fabricating the mountings considering extra weight, the driveline angle, setting up cooling system etc..etc will not perfect as a factory fit.
Old 14th January 2015, 14:43   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Santosh, Eric - how difficult it would have been for a engine conversion from xdp to di in the armada or armada grand. What would have been the major technical challenges besides the paper work. Is it a direct fit with the existing transfer case and gearbox or will it had to be changed.
Technically possible, but factory fit and weld is end of the day more reliable and strong. Paper work possible but cant get into details on a public forum - READ - not the right way, but short cuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
1. You will have to make an adapter plate to match the bellhousing to the BA10 gearbox.
2. You will have to fabricate engine mounts. I have a feeling the Bolero Di engine mounts might be suitable.
3. Rewire the engine.
^ yes... done a few engine swaps on friends jeeps, too much headache to acheive a ready made solution from showroom.

Quote:
Thanks for the information Dhanush. Now a very open ended question -

yeah - totally, but be prepared to spend a weekend every month at a garage for some checkups at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Somehow, I had missed it earlier. Anyway, congrats on growing up. (I guess having a child does that!)

Regards
Sutripta
Yes Dada... I will get back but need some time with son for a few years now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The XD3P as such is reliable. If properly rebuilt. Reliability wise, a stock vehicle with properly rebuilt engine would score higher than swapped Di engine'd vehicle.

Basically, there will be no problem with the engine. But fabricating the mountings considering extra weight, the driveline angle, setting up cooling system etc..etc will not perfect as a factory fit.
Yep, true that!

Most Viewed