Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 11:56   #46
BHPian

Re: My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods

4. Offroading Ability: I have taken my Bolero to every place where a Thar or a MM550 has gone. With solid axles in front and rear; and adequate articulation, Bolero has been really good in offroad.

great! i second that, i have been using a Bolero GLX (XDp engined) for some hard core offroading in and around Goa, for at least last 5 years, and i have gone places, which have been deemed unreachable for a Bolero, much to the amazement of my fellow offroaders.
so for me, the Bolero 4x4 rules clap

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th October 2012 at 17:50.
whitemm550 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 11:44   #47
BHPian

Bucket Seats and Bumper Protection for Bolero?

Hi Guyz, I would like to know if any of you know of a reliable place to get Protection Bumpers for Bolero.

Also on the look out for Bucket seats for middle row (Bolero).

Mods, I couldnt find a thread on this...hence a new topic. Request you to redirect if required.

Thank you.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:15   #48
BANNED

Re: Bucket Seats and Bumper Protection for Bolero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hi Guyz, I would like to know if any of you know of a reliable place to get Protection Bumpers for Bolero.

Also on the look out for Bucket seats for middle row (Bolero).

Mods, I couldnt find a thread on this...hence a new topic. Request you to redirect if required.

Thank you.
hi,

Go for the M&M bull bar or From goldsun (Check their web site). Bucket seats/ captain seats for middle rows can be done by removing the rear baby seats and flattening the wheel arches from inside.

Koyas coimbatore is the right best place.But costly..
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 12:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi,

Go for the M&M bull bar or From goldsun (Check their web site). Bucket seats/ captain seats for middle rows can be done by removing the rear baby seats and flattening the wheel arches from inside.

Koyas coimbatore is the right best place.But costly..
Thanks Ranjith. Both Goldsun and Koyas are in coimbatore and I am unsure when I will be there. Do you know any place in Bangalore?

Regarding Captain Seats, Do I have to flatten wheel arches for fitting these seats in midrow?
Old 25th April 2013, 12:35   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Ranjith. Both Goldsun and Koyas are in coimbatore and I am unsure when I will be there. Do you know any place in Bangalore?

Regarding Captain Seats, Do I have to flatten wheel arches for fitting these seats in midrow?
Dont waste your precious money in JC road Bangalore, so i wont suggest any thing here.

yes you have to flatten the wheel arches to put captain seats for bolero. Koyas will do full job. get it done there.My sincere advise.

I suggest to remove the baby seats at rear and push middle row to seat @ 6-9 inches towards back to get more leg room and more comfortability.Retain the originality.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dont waste your precious money in JC road Bangalore, so i wont suggest any thing here.

yes you have to flatten the wheel arches to put captain seats for bolero. Koyas will do full job. get it done there.My sincere advise.

I suggest to remove the baby seats at rear and push middle row to seat @ 6-9 inches towards back to get more leg room and more comfortability.Retain the originality.
Thank you. I always avoid JC Road (except for breakfast at MTR ).

Ok, So I have to flatten it. wasnt something i wanted here.

Regarding baby seats, I plan to remove them anyways as We got dogs and have planned a Dog friendly cargo area. So moving seats a little back would hurt their space. Thank you for the idea though.

So its Coimbatore then?
Old 25th April 2013, 13:11   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you. I always avoid JC Road (except for breakfast at MTR ).

Ok, So I have to flatten it. wasnt something i wanted here.

Regarding baby seats, I plan to remove them anyways as We got dogs and have planned a Dog friendly cargo area. So moving seats a little back would hurt their space. Thank you for the idea though.

So its Coimbatore then?
hi,

I was not aware about your dogs story !.

Moving middle row seats @ 6 inches back wards wont hurt them, i trust.

Else drive down to coimbatore, they will take max 4 days. They will do full seats, roofs with LCD,Easy clean floor mats.Its just a dream place for quality job, if you have enough Cash.

Rajith
Old 10th July 2013, 13:06   #53
BHPian

Hi Vak

How's your bolero doing? We are expecting some drool worthy pictures from you.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am wondering, if you add PS and AC (total 150K easily), won't you be able to buy a scorpio LX 4x4? (Base model?) by putting in around 10-15000rs extra?
Does it make sense to get this if you are going to fit AC and P/S aftermarket.
Also remember, an aftermarket P/S and A/C (even from auth. service center) won't carry same warranty or have the same reliability as a factor fitted unit.
Absolutely correct with those price figures. But, here in Chandigarh, I in my Thar Di, have got an AC ( new, made in Singapore compressor, but only with the "good faith" warranty of my friendly mechanic ) fitted for Rs. 18,500/-.

At Patiala, a nearby town, they charge Rs. 15,000/- for the P.S. However my friend tells me that his mechanic for 16 years, who has been taking care of his Tata Sierra for all these years has quoted the price for the P.S. at Rs. 10,000/-

However, no denying, there is no match for original parts but 10k + 18.5 K = 28.5 K and on the other hand it is 150k. The difference is too large for a poor man like me to digest!
Old 24th May 2014, 13:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
3. Bumpy ride on road: The front suspension had zero upward suspension travel when it came from the factory.The axle tube was touching the bump stop even in stationary position. To over come this I have recambered the front leaf spring and fitted longer shackles.
also tried the CFL at the rear. Though the ride was very good. The vehicle was sitting lower, resulting in lower under body clearance and also affecting the departures angle. So I switched back to the OE leaf springs

The lack of front suspension travel, was it factory set or an anomaly in your vehicle? Why would anyone sell a passenger vehicle without suspension travel? The Bolero 4wd seems to be the standard issue for officers of the Central Police Forces, and they wont tolerate a bumpy ride. Also, those Boleros are shorter at the rear than yours.

Also, what is CFL?
Old 28th September 2014, 16:09   #56
BHPian

Preventive maintenance - Mahindra Bolero

Had a few questions on the preventive maintenance line; I did not find a 'Bolero - Issues & Solutions' thread; so bumping this up.

Not sure if it is because Bolero owners shrugs and carries on, as few niggles is nothing that will cripple a Bolero...

I have a 2008 Bolero, It is a little over 6 years now. I was wondering about the effect of age on the rubber.
  • Should I consider changing the engine mounts / body mounts? It does not rattle as of today; but then it isnt as tight as what it used to be earlier. Would this be worth the trouble?
  • Should I replace fan belts as a preventive maintenance step? Is there a prescribed fan belt replacement schedule? I am not very sure if the service center uses a tensioner to check the slack and for cracks in the belt during the regular service. I could bring this up in the next major service ask them to specifically check. (That said; I do get the squeaking noise once in a while. Like those old Indicas. I think this means a loose fan belt, isn’t it?)
  • I don’t think I have done a complete radiator flush till date. I think the 50K service has that as per the owner’s manual; but I doubt if that was done. Is this required? Or will I end up damaging the aging radiator hoses and end up replacing them as well?
  • There are no heating issues as such; vehicle is running as intended; no radiator leaks either. So is it best to continue with the occasional coolant top up during the major service?

Regd usage:
It is my brother’s daily drive; mostly sees Bangalore bumper-bumper traffic. Goes over rough patch of road for about 6kms every day. (He takes some short cut to avoid the snail crawl; which is a bumpy kacha road).

Service is done regularly; every 7-8 months. Usage is atleast 40kms every day; may be a little more on weekends. Out station drives are only once in 4-5 months. She has done a little over 70,000kms.

Any tips are appreciated. If there is a dedicated Mahindra Bolero maintenance thread; please do point that out.
The next ‘major’ service is due in OCT; I wanted to get the ride back in top shape. Hence these thoughts.
Old 28th September 2014, 18:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Engine Mounts usually last the life of the vehicle. Certainly they should be okay at six years, 70000 kilometers. I would inspect them and decide what to do. Suspension bushings may need replacing, this is routine maintenance and may give you a much tighter feel to the vehicle. It may be these suspension bushings that you are hearing and not the engine mounts. Have them look at the body mounts as well.

The fan belt is relatively inexpensive, at 70,000 Kilometers, I would replace it regardless of what it looks like, and regardless of what the techies say. The slack is something the techies will probably set correctly from their experience. Your vehicle may have a belt tensioner on it, dunno. While you are doing that have them look at the "weep" hole (inspection hole) in the water pump. If the water pump is wearing internally it will leak slightly, or not so slightly, thru this inspection hole. This is one indicator of whether your water pump is worn out or not. Make sure after they install a new belt, that your electrical system, alternator, is charging correctly. Try some starts, turn on the headlights and see if they are their usual brightness, check for dash warning lights.

I completely flush the radiator, the cooling system at least once a year. It removes internal corrosion and flakes and assures that you have the proper ratio of water to coolant. A radiator flush done properly will not jeopardize an already good working system. If the flush does result in a leak it means that the leak was about to happen anyway. In any case, if your shop is good they will test for leaks for ten or fifteen minutes of idling. Tell them you want a thorough test for leaks. It's important and they should readily agree to do so.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 28th September 2014 at 18:05.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 20:24   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
  • Should I consider changing the engine mounts / body mounts? It does not rattle as of today; but then it isnt as tight as what it used to be earlier. Would this be worth the trouble?
  • Should I replace fan belts as a preventive maintenance step?
[list][*]I don’t think I have done a complete radiator flush till date. I think the 50K service has that as per the owner’s manual; but I doubt if that was done. Is this required?
Yes, yes & yes.

Replacing the engine and the GB mounts on a Bolero is quite easy and does not need more than 30 minutes of work at a two post lift.

Further, I think you should give the truck a shot of Xado Engine revitalizer as well. I have used it with immense benefits.

At 100,000km, it is advisable (again as preventive maintenance) to replace all the rubber hoses including the fuel lines in the vehicle and have the alternator checked and the bearings lubricated/replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Engine Mounts usually last the life of the vehicle.
They don't, at least with Mahindras. Hariya (My Scorpio CRDe) has been through 3 sets of engine and GB mounts during his 1.7 lac kms with me and I am NOT a rough driver at all.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks