Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 11:25   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD

With longer shackles, recambered leafsprings and ~31" tyres, the GC has gone up tremendously! Here's some pics depicting the GC.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-gc1.jpg

However, except for the tyres, all the clearance I have got is above the axles. And, the diff clearance from ground hasn't changed much.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-gc.jpg

A comparo with the Thar.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-dscn7407-copy.jpg
Old 6th July 2012, 12:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
With longer shackles, recambered leafsprings and ~31" tyres, the GC has gone up tremendously!
Attachment 951994
What is the new cambered value? What is the length of new shackles?

Quote:
A comparo with the Thar.
Please also compare on road with a lane change test. I feel a single lane change at 50 kmph will be enough to ascertain the difference.

This mod is one thing which I hate to see on Jeeps, specially those which are employed for regular use. But that is a matter of personal choice.

Viel Glück ! (Good luck)

Spike
Old 6th July 2012, 12:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
What is the new cambered value? What is the length of new shackles?
6" up front and 7" at the back.
Quote:
Please also compare on road with a lane change test. I feel a single lane change at 50 kmph will be enough to ascertain the difference.
Yes Sir!. I definitely feel the difference. The whatever chuckability was left has now vanished.
Quote:
This mod is one thing which I hate to see on Jeeps, specially those which are employed for regular use. But that is a matter of personal choice.
Spike, you are right. For Jeeps that are seldom used Off-Road, and spend most of their time on-road this is just not worth it. However, for me, this give the priceless peace of mind over boulders. But, the Jeep bounces more now.

For longer distances I always have my trusted IKON.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

So, a sad update: My Rear Axle Tube Broke!!..

The Jeep was ferrying sacks of Arakenuts to the farm. Arakenuts are not heavy, but still, after the trip, I started hearing a sound from the left rear tyre side.

... Initially, considering the sound, we thought it was a broken bearing. Jacked up the tyre and checked for worn out bearings, but the tyre was surprisingly hard to rotate. Jacked up the other side and checked, and the effort was equally hard!!..

Tension.. The cheaper bearing worn fears now evolved to something more complex.

On checking the underbody, I was to find my rear axle in a slight arc (U) like shape, instead of being perfectly straight! The Rear Axle Tube broke from the housing. (The shorter side) Damn, with the Wayanad OTR coming up, we opened it right away. My worst fear was a bent Axle and worn out differential gears, bearings etc..

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2041.jpg

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2040.jpg

However, thankfully, I think as I noticed it at the right time, I ended up with only a broken axle tube, and a diff case(?.. on which the differential gears are mounted) and of course 90% of the bearings. Which includes wheel bearing, and all the bearings inside the differential.

Spike: Here's the answer to my question.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:05   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The reason for the above failure was THIS:::
Quote:
And as it was converted into a 2WD, the rear differential was left aligned. So, to connect the prop shafts to the transfer case, we needed right aligned differentials. So, the initial plan was to exchange these for right aligned ones, which came with LSD's. Or exchange with prior NGCS Army 550 rear differentials. However, Army 550's diff's with LSD was not available in Bangalore. Hence we went for swapping the axle tubes, which should do the job, till I get hold of an LSD walla one.

Rear Axle tubes and differentials removed. Axle tubes were sent to lathe to be swapped.

So: Differentials and Axles Sorted out temporally.
Well, for On-Road use, with minimal load and axle articulation, swapping axle tubes in a proper lathe should do the job. However, if one intends to use the Jeep mainly for rough OTR's, then the swapping tubes never gonna hold, and unlike mine (lucky), one might end up replacing the entire real axle assy. Which will cost a cool ~12-15k (used, gujri)
Old 9th July 2012, 16:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

I lost you on the part "swapping axle tubes" - please explain with pics.

1) If you did what 'I' think about the swapping then you were risking it a lot... How did the axle tubes even come "out" in the 1st place? Is it just push/pull? Or weld?

2) I have not seen such a damaged housing ever Bent axles - lots, uneven worn out crown/pinion - few, bearings - lost count, gypsy housing bent like a banana - 2 or 3, MM Jeep's - 1st!
Old 9th July 2012, 17:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I lost you on the part "swapping axle tubes" - please explain with pics.
By swapping axle tubes, I mean, the left and right axle tubes were swapped. Like changing a left aligned differential to a right aligned one.

Quote:
1) If you did what 'I' think about the swapping then you were risking it a lot... How did the axle tubes even come "out" in the 1st place? Is it just push/pull? Or weld?
Yes, I guess what I did was exactly what "You" think about the swapping.

AFAIK, the axle tubes are welded in three spots. People in the industry do the necessary to remove this weld and hammer the axles tubes out.
Quote:
MM Jeep's - 1st!
Yes!. Well, this was a WRONG procedure followed by me. I should have never swapped the axle tubes in the 1st place. I just got lucky by not ending up changing my entire axle assy.

I did it, as I was ready to change my axles only for an LSD walla one. I was not ready to swap once, and then again swap another time for the LSD's. Moreover, my mech in Bangalore assured me the "no problem". Little did he know what I was going to put my Jeep through.
Old 9th July 2012, 19:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got lucky by not ending up changing my entire axle assy
meaning? you are going to replace the entire rear now right? Or no?

Quote:
Moreover, my mech in Bangalore assured me the "no problem"
Who?
Old 9th July 2012, 20:27   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
meaning? you are going to replace the entire rear now right? Or no?
Santosh, I'm going to replace only the axle tubes/housing set up to right alined ones, and the diff case (? on which all the differential gears are mounted). Reason is, my Axles and differential gears are just fine, with no bend and no noticeable wear and tear.
Quote:
Who?
Ranjendran, Srikrishna Automobiles, Near Jayadeva Flyover, Bangalore.

EDIT: Hey, in case you are wondering if I'm using a 2WD left offset axles, then NO, they are 4WD right offset ones. And, Original company ones. So, I'm not changing it.

Last edited by dhanushs : 9th July 2012 at 20:48.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am honestly wondering if going from a 48" -> 51" -> 53" -> 57/58" & right -> left -> center offset is so easy why are people running behind the whole axle housing as such? I really dont know the answer because its a 1st here on Tbhp - to change parts of the axle housing (not moving parts). Do you really get those axle tubes in spares?/gujri? Arent you asked by the seller to buy the whole housing as such?

Since it broke once whats the guarantee it wont - again? Anyways - while you are it, why dont you go for a FFRA? REMEMBER - Even in FFRA such a failure wont mean you can be towed back home.

Did you say the tubes go into the diff (side hole) by a weld, or just a tight lathe press job?

Thx for the mech details...

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th July 2012 at 06:20.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:55   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am honestly wondering if going from a 48" -> 51" -> 53" -> 57/58" & right -> left -> center offset is so easy why are people running behind the whole axle housing as such? I really dont know the answer because its a 1st here on Tbhp - to change parts of the axle housing (not moving parts). Do you really get those axle tubes in spares?/gujri? Arent you asked by the seller to buy the whole housing as such?
Simple reason Santosh - COST.

The Axle tube cost me ~2800 bucks, where as the whole axle assy would have cost me upwards of ~12000. Moreover, there is no guarantee that I can get good condition gears and original axles like the ones I have. Yes, the Axle tubes are easily avaialble in Gujri.
Quote:
Since it broke once whats the guarantee it wont - again?
The reason why it broke is due to removing the tubes from the differential housing and refitting. If this is done even once, it will NEVER last. I come to know this now. Also, I have made sure that the Gujri Axle tubes I bought has never been messed with (You can check from the inside of the housing)
Quote:
Anyways - while you are it, why dont you go for a FFRA?
The thought had crossed my mind. But, unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no vehicle which comes with FFRA + Right offset rear-differential combo. Any idea?..
Quote:
Did you say the tubes go into the diff (side hole) by a weld, or just a tight lathe press job?
Tight lathe press job + Three spot welds.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:20   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Santosh, I think I read you wrong, sorry.

I'm going to replace the entire part as marked in the image, excluding the movable parts, like diff gears crown/pinion etc..

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-images.ashx.jpg

Img Source
Old 10th July 2012, 14:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ok - from the beginning - What is a AXLE tube according to your POV? Is it the entire left to right with the pumpkin in the middle? Or is it the 2 tubes left and right of the pumpkin? I have never seen anyone change just that tube earlier... where are the gurus when u need them...!!
Old 10th July 2012, 14:45   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok - from the beginning - What is a AXLE tube according to your POV? Is it the entire left to right with the pumpkin in the middle? Or is it the 2 tubes left and right of the pumpkin? I have never seen anyone change just that tube earlier... where are the gurus when u need them...!!
Santosh, its not the tubes left and right of the pumpkin, but the entire left to right including the pumpkin in the middle. Infact, the tubes on the left and right should NEVER be removed from the pumpkin, as they cannot be refitted to factory level reliability.

The only thing I'm not replacing are the gears.
Old 10th July 2012, 20:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Diff assy

Quote:
Santosh, its not the tubes left and right of the pumpkin, but the entire left to right including the pumpkin in the middle.
I think your understanding is wrong and you are not clear between Salisbury and Banjo / Hotchkiss axle types.

See this link- http://www.arb.com.au/media/products...ckers/5-03.pdf

Quote:
Infact, the tubes on the left and right should NEVER be removed from the pumpkin, as they cannot be refitted to factory level reliability.
Ideally assembled for life, but can be worked on if the person(s) involved know what they are doing. But India being India..

Housing and diff tube assembly are usually sold as an assembly in spares. The tubes can be ordered separately provided one knows the part number. Ahem ahem.

Quote:
The only thing I'm not replacing are the gears.
Thank God.

Spike

PDF credits- to the author.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 10th July 2012 at 20:43.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed