Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:59   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So, after months and months of holding back my desire to have either a locker, or an LSD, I finally bought an LSD!!
Nice upgrade, any particular reason why you chose the LSD over a locker? Or you selected this, as it had a future scope for front axle ? And did you check if the LSD works, works properly?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 3rd January 2013 at 21:05.
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Nice upgrade, any particular reason why you chose the LSD over a locker?
Well, I was so keen of getting a locker, but, somehow, I also thought I needed to own an LSD. Because, I can always get a locker for the back, and put this LSD in the front.. So, started the traction improvement mods with the LSD!
Quote:
And did you check if the LSD works, works properly?
Well, sort of.. And, here's where I need the assistance experts like you and others!

What I discussed with Sreejesh and did was:
  • I jacked up one wheel, and tried to turn it with hand/force. Its like the brake is jammed and the Jeep rocks forward.
  • I jacked up one wheel and slowly let the clutch go in 2WD, 1st H, and the Jeep jumped from the jack.
  • Jacked up both wheels and tried to turn one wheel, the other wheel turns in the same direction. However, when my mech was turning one wheel and the other was rotating, I tired to stop one wheel, and with my hand it was very difficult..
So, is it working fine? Dear pratheesh and fellow bhp'ns please suggest some more tests for me to make sure my LSD is working fine.. Just for the peace of mind that the money spent is worth it!

Now, for the 2nd quirey. The oil I used is this: Is it fine?

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2479.jpg

Last edited by dhanushs : 3rd January 2013 at 21:22.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for the peace of mind that the money spent is worth it!
Wanna check if it is working fine ?? Go offroad in sections having good articulation obstacles .

You can check it on road also (by feel ), but that is a bit of abusive test, I do not recommend it for personal vehicles.

Quote:
Now, for the 2nd quirey. The oil I used is this: Is it fine?
Seems to be in range, so must work fine.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 09:06   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I jacked up one wheel, and tried to turn it with hand/force. Its like the brake is jammed and the Jeep rocks forward.[*]I jacked up one wheel and slowly let the clutch go in 2WD, 1st H, and the Jeep jumped from the jack. Jacked up both wheels and tried to turn one wheel, the other wheel turns in the same direction. However, when my mech was turning one wheel and the other was rotating, I tired to stop one wheel, and with my hand it was very difficult. So, is it working fine? Dear pratheesh and fellow bhp'ns please suggest some more tests for me to make sure my LSD is working fine. Just for the peace of mind that the money spent is worth it!
Dear Dhanush - you are on the right track. I am very happy that unknowingly you are conducting DOE (Design of Experiments). Pratheesh is correct, on personal vehicle, it is not advisable to do further tests. Test vehicles is a different matter! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 11:06   #140
Senior - BHPian

Dhanushs,

Going for the LSD over lockers was a wise choice considering its cost, availability, replacement, performance, on our off-road conditions etc.

The tests that you have carried out to ascertain if it is working or not are correct, especially that when you rotate one wheel, you cannot force the other to stop. It is working.

Here is one final test, In 2WD mode at a speed of 10kmph plus, while taking a sharp U turn, sudden acceleration engaged in 2nd gear and you will feel a surging kick from the outer wheel followed by the tyre against the road, grating sound.

LSD has an pronounced advantage on off road situations.

Why not use 90 instead of a multigrade, even though it is in the range?
I use MAC Spirol 90.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 13:47   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

You can check it on road also (by feel ), but that is a bit of abusive test, I do not recommend it for personal vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Pratheesh is correct, on personal vehicle, it is not advisable to do further tests.
Dhanush, as you see Dhabhar Sir has corroborated my statement. It is not advisable to do any further tests. On tarmac, the surface is not loose (unlike when you are offroad) hence it passes the shock loads back into your driveline, which IS BAD. Also, the LSD has a clutch pack which opens up over a period of time, you decide now.

Quote:
Test vehicles is a different matter! .
Thanks to you Sir, I learned this very well. I know you remember our back to back comparison of a LSD and MLD on the rollers at test track. The people back there are still trying to contemplate, if a MLD is feasible for a particular product. Perhaps we were in the right place at a wrong time !

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th January 2013 at 13:50.
Old 4th January 2013, 15:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Dhanushs,

I have tested my Jeep this way and nothing went wrong since two years plus, in real time off road conditions, stuck between rocks and circumstances the load is worse than tarmac or off it.

Even if. LSD is not a Delicate Darling as it is made out to be, remember it comes to you from army vehicles which have done atleast 10 years rugged service and the army guys on various terrains of India do not drive it as their personal vehicle, plus we do all the off roading on the same LSD, seldom does one hear that something went wrong.
Regards,
Old 9th January 2013, 21:07   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks very much sir's!. I have one more quirey.

I understand that LSD is a clutch, and it opens up/slips(?) at times. So, like there are tips on increasing clutch life, how to drive a Jeep equipped with LSD? Or rather, should I watch out for something while driving my LSD equipped Jeep?
Old 16th January 2013, 14:28   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

A daylight pic after fitting the front tow-hooks. . En route to Bangalore.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-dscn8619-copy.jpg
Old 16th January 2013, 17:02   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I was so keen of getting a locker, but, somehow, I also thought I needed to own an LSD. Because, I can always get a locker for the back, and put this LSD in the front.
I may be wrong as usual, but isn't the rear only supposed to have an LSD and the front only a locker? Because unlike the rear wheels, the front ones are always supposed to rotate at the same speed as each other even when turning etc.?
Old 16th January 2013, 19:03   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
I may be wrong as usual, but isn't the rear only supposed to have an LSD and the front only a locker? Because unlike the rear wheels, the front ones are always supposed to rotate at the same speed as each other even when turning etc.?
Hi Vivek,

Infact, both the rear wheels and both the front wheels and front and rear wheels have different speeds while turning.

The outside wheel irrespective of front or rear are always at a greater speed than the inner wheels. Also, the both the front wheels together spin at a different speed than both the rear wheels.

IMO, the perfect combo would be, Rear Auto Lockers + Front Manual Lockers. Or else, with front locker/LSD, turning in slush is a crazy business.

Also, unlike LSD, the locker is not friendly on the axles.
Old 31st January 2013, 21:00   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep is back from the workshop after the BAOTR 2013!

Total damages worth 1850/- Includes, starting motor servicing, full body wash, and diesel tank leak fixing.

Pretty cheap, considering what it went through there.. I'm a happy man!

Lost my Camera, so, No Pictures.. :(
Old 31st January 2013, 22:50   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lost my Camera, so, No Pictures.. :(
I remember your camera on the first night, you kept it on the table where we were sitting. Never leave the camera lying around, always have it on you or in front of the eyes.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 16:12   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I remember your camera on the first night, you kept it on the table where we were sitting. Never leave the camera lying around, always have it on you or in front of the eyes.
And on that table it was lying till the morning ...Carelessness is on my part. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Jeep hasn't been to the workshop for the last 2 months! And this is a record hard to break.. Well, for those who are wondering how I achieved this feat.. The jeep wasn't with me..

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-mm540-xd-workshop.jpg

On a serious note, works carried out were:
  • The brake pipe on the right side was leaking fluid, and it would be sprayed all over the tyre on hard braking! Thank god I still had some pedal left to drive it to the work shop. Bought a pipe from Mahindra pickup for ~300 bucks.
  • The rear bumper and the chassis cross member was a MESS. I've lost count on how many times the bumper has hit. Let alone OTR's, even in our farm, if you try something out of the ordinary, the bumper takes and hit and the chassis cross member bends :( . For now, I've tinkered both back in place. But, desperately need to remove the rear bumper, and find a cosmetically AND functionally good looking substitute.
  • After BAOTR, I had not cleaned my fog lamps, and reverse lights. Cleaned them, only to find that the reflector was completely damaged.
  • The Jeep was slightly overheating, and I didn't have enough time to look into it. However, this time, I removed the insect mesh and power sprayed water over the radiator fins. Lot of muck came out, and overheating issues solved.
Issues that is yet to be sorted out, and needing help from fellow members:

- On hard braking, when the body lurches forward, I have this grinding/braking sound coming from the front/bottom/god-knows-where, as if the radiator fan is being smashed against the radiator. However: I have checked, and nothing is hitting the radiator, the alternator is not hitting anywhere, the the GB shield plate is not hitting the exhaust... In short, no turning/moving parts are hitting anywhere.. However, I slightly doubt the leaf springs, which I'm yet to check. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated! Please...

- I've been having this slight oil leak from the crank shaft main bearing. However, nowadays the leak is increased! . The Jeep needs a liter of oil, say every 150-200 kilometers! My mechanic says it cant be sorted out by just removing the gearbox, and accessing the bearing from that side. He says 'pejuots' have to be dismantled completely to set this leak right.. Is that the case???!!!!... I'll be damned, as after I had changed the pulleys of the water pump, I have absolutely NO overheating. Also my engine has NO bad smoke, NO bad sound, has awesome mileage, has awesome power, and its not drinking oil (evaluated from exhaust). Also, its an UN-opened engine. Even if I open up the engine, I dont have the guarantee of getting it rebuilt properly. This is as per the mech, and the numerous experiences (some even in the forum).

So, is there any way that I can sort out the leak from the crank shaft main bearing?!!

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st March 2013 at 16:14.
Old 26th March 2013, 00:06   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of days back, something bad happened, which I discovered today.

A new mechanic, was trying to sort out the sound (mentioned in the above post), suspected the brake pads, and removed it. Cleaned it, and refit. The sound did not stop, and we were done for the day.

After that, I was feeling that the Jeep would pull slightly to the left.. I was being lazy and didn't check it for the last couple of days. However, today, I went down to see if something is wrong.. and to my utter HORROR I find the right brake discs all SCRATCHED!..

The stupid mech had fit the pads reverse! It was the steel that was braking, and not the asbestos!

I have been promised new pads and a disc. If the thickness of the disc is unacceptable, i might as well resurface mine.. :(

TUILIE!

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th March 2013 at 00:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks