Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 13:47   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Are sales of 4x4 variants going down in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Shyam and I have pretty much decided on the Sumo platform. So there's an end to it. There is room enough for a village of 357 Biharis to LIVE in a Sumo, let alone ride around in one, so let's quit stalling and get this puppy on the road.

Does some government fellow go around and measure backsides to ascertain the correct width to use as measure of an x-seater? Does he have to take into account things like nutrition, water retention (bloating) and such like in order to come up with a bench mark for what constitutes the width of a seat? Does it take into account seasonal and/or monthly variations in individuals?
I wonder if there is a special school in India that majors in that field of endeavor. Are there special measuring instruments used or is it all done...by the seat of one's pants? Sorry, folks, the bureaucrats have been beating me up lately and I am punchy.
Dear Ken - your comments are just too good, I can't stop laughing, my stomach is paining now! Thanks for bringing cheer to my day today!

Yes, the seat length is actually measured. It is supposed to be 15 inches per person (381 mm) as per CMVR. That's why Thar CRDe LH seat is exactly 381+381+381 mm, means 1143 mm or 45 inches. And that's why Thar CRDe RH seat is 40 inches because if I had made it 381+381 mm or 30 inches as required by law, the seats would have looked funny from inside and people would have used stools to sit so I made it 40 inches instead of 30 inches. Longer than CMVR is allowed.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 4th July 2012 at 13:50. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed