Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 11:32   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
took Delivery of my Brand new Gypsy King Hardtop last week. Booking done on first week of November by paying 10000 rupees and delivery was on 24.11.2017 (after 3 weeks) On road price: 7,45,000/-
Dear DrANTO - let me be the first one to congratulate you on your new Gypsy King. You are lucky to have bought a legend, while it is still available fresh off the assembly lines 3 weeks is a very good turnaround time - I had to wait more than 2 months for mine! How I wish the road tax in KA was not as ridiculously high as it is - 7.5 lac for a new H/T is sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
can anybody suggest some good external rear view mirrors for gypsy. My car has only right side mirror and it is pathetic. Many people said Maruthi Omni or Bolero mirror will fit. Any other options worth considering?
The most convenient option is to go with Bolero mirrors which are readily available, reasonably priced, and a straight fit, except that these use 2 screws and Gypsy has 3 on the OE mirror - you will end up with one gaping hole. The other option is to go for these - I got these shipped to a friend in US who was coming to India the subsequent month. These are way better than the Bolero or Omni ones, although relatively expensive. But believe me, they are worth every penny, not only in terms of the smashing looks (pic for reference) but also the superb quality of vision. Try and get these, if you can.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th November 2017 at 11:36.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:03   #512
BHPian

Quote:
The other option is to go for these - I got these shipped to a friend in US who was coming to India the subsequent month. These are way better than the Bolero or Omni ones, although relatively expensive. But believe me, they are worth every penny, not only in terms of the smashing looks
Thank you for the help cool_dube. This looks absolutely fantastic. I will try to get one like this.

Frankly speaking I am extremely lucky. Gypsy production was going on when I booked my vehicle. So I didn't have to wait much. I was contemplating about buying a new Gypsy for the last 1-2 years. It is an evergreen classic and we are the proud owners of this wonderful machine.
Old 16th January 2018, 18:18   #513
BHPian

Hi All,

Iam back on this thread after a while ! Wanted some advice from people who have made long distance trips to Leh or Spiti.

Iam planning on a 7000 Km round trip in my Gypsy this April. I will be going upto Kargil (sometime in May). Further down, at an altitude of 14000ft, the temperatures will still be subzeros and snowing in a few places (Drang Drung Glacier)

My Gypsy is now 8000 Kms old and i have been doing lots of offroading. No problems yet.

Based on your experience , do you think i could face any engine issues at high altitude. Should i be ready with accessories like spark plus , fuses, oil etc assuming i cant get immediate help if i run into issues?

DrBones, i know you went to Spiti. How did you prepare for any unforeseen breakdowns??

Thanks
Shyam
Old 16th January 2018, 19:18   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
I am back on this thread after a while ! Wanted some advice from people who have made long distance trips to Leh or Spiti.
Wow! Hats off, Shyam! That would be one heck of a trip, albeit VERY trying on your spine Do keep us posted on your plans.

On your queries - do not forget that numerous Gypsies do home runs on this terrain day in and day out, given that it is the trusted workhorse of the Indian Army. There are very few vehicles that can come even close to the Gypsy when it comes to reliability on these terrains. So net-net, the Gypsy will come out of anything you throw at it - whether the driver/passengers make it - is a different question altogether

Last edited by cool_dube : 16th January 2018 at 19:26.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 19:57   #515
Senior - BHPian

I think your major challenge will be driving the car up to and back from the foothills in the heat of the Indian summer. The car will cope. Just do a full service including an oil change and perhaps have the brakes checked and cleaned too. You may have to carry a jerry can for petrol once into the remote areas.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:24   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Wow! Hats off, Shyam! That would be one heck of a trip, albeit VERY trying on your spine Do keep us posted on your plans.

On your queries - do not forget that numerous Gypsies do home runs on this terrain day in and day out, given that it is the trusted workhorse of the Indian Army. There are very few vehicles that can come even close to the Gypsy when it comes to reliability on these terrains. So net-net, the Gypsy will come out of anything you throw at it - whether the driver/passengers make it - is a different question altogether
Yea agreed ! To add to the craziness iam doing it solo If any of you guys are interested in joining in, let me know. My only concerns are a flat tyre or a electrical fault. But the yokos are divine on any road !!!

Sure i will share my plans as they materialise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I think your major challenge will be driving the car up to and back from the foothills in the heat of the Indian summer. The car will cope. Just do a full service including an oil change and perhaps have the brakes checked and cleaned too. You may have to carry a jerry can for petrol once into the remote areas.
Yea thats what i plan to do. My first paid service is coming up in March just months before i leave. Planning to request the GM to give full attention to every component (spark plugs, air/oil filters, fuses etc) and make sure they are in top condition.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2018 at 17:48. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:00   #517
Senior - BHPian

As long as there is a petrol pump, you will find engine oil, but in remote areas pumps may be far apart.

On long trips it is always a good practice to carry a few spares
- One set of Spark plugs
- Two sets of fuses
- A can of brake oil
- Puncture kit for tubeless tyres
- One set of rubber hoses
- One set of belts
- a few meters of wire and assorted cables for emergency repairs
- One or two Jerry cans for petrol, preferably 20L metal ones. In hills with 4x4, your FE may go down to 3km/L, so two x 20L will be good enough for 120-150km only.
- A two rope

and of course a tool kit consisting of screw drivers, pliers and a few spanners. Make sure that the Jack is sturdy and works perfectly, as most of the time OEM jacks are flimsy and may give way on uneven surfaces.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 14:58   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Hi All,

DrBones, i know you went to Spiti. How did you prepare for any unforeseen breakdowns??

Thanks
Shyam
Shyamkrish, Make sure your battery is in top condition. Gypsy just flies on himalayan roads. If no electronic accessories are added then nothing to worry, else check the wiring thoroughly. 2x20L jerry cans with a flexible spout for petrol is a must. You can check olive planet.in for jerry cans. Good quality Tyre inflator with puncture repair kit is a very important tool.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:53   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Shyamkrish, Make sure your battery is in top condition. Gypsy just flies on himalayan roads. If no electronic accessories are added then nothing to worry, else check the wiring thoroughly. 2x20L jerry cans with a flexible spout for petrol is a must. You can check olive planet.in for jerry cans. Good quality Tyre inflator with puncture repair kit is a very important tool.
Drbones, thanks !! Yeah my Gypsy is pure stock, no add-ons. Yes I do plan to buy the Jerry cans and the kit. Thanks for the input

BTW i saw your Spiti snaps, just breathtaking !!! I also want to go during peak snow season. Which month did you go? I can see the Gypsy covered in snow!

Shyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As long as there is a petrol pump, you will find engine oil, but in remote areas pumps may be far apart.
This is exactly the list I was looking for! Thanks a lot Will make sure I gather them before my trip!
Planning to get the hydraulic jack as well!

Last edited by aah78 : 18th January 2018 at 19:27. Reason: Typos fixed. Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 18th January 2018, 19:54   #520
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam,
All the best for your trip. Frankly, there is nothing much to go wrong in a Gypsy.
If you haven't seen this yet, you should go through this travelogue of Vijay and Shakir for some inspiration http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...m-18-days.html.
Based on my Gypsy ownership experience, in addition to AROY's inputs, please do carry spare coolant along.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 15:39   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Shyam,
All the best for your trip. Frankly, there is nothing much to go wrong in a Gypsy.
If you haven't seen this yet, you should go through this travelogue of Vijay and Shakir for some inspiration http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...m-18-days.html.
Based on my Gypsy ownership experience, in addition to AROY's inputs, please do carry spare coolant along.
Cheers,
Deepak
Thanks Starter ! Yes i will go through it so iam well prepared.
Old 17th April 2018, 19:16   #522
Team-BHP Support

So after a wait of over 2 months, finally got the delivery today

I had booked in Hard Top but they were non-committal on deliveries so I switched over when they offered me a Soft Top Yesterday. On Road Price including Gurgaon Registration and extra warranty for 3rd, 4th & 5th Year is about 7 Lac.

I will say, cheaper than a 2 cylinder Motorbike.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-1.jpeg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-2.jpeg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-3.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th April 2018 at 19:18.
Turbanator is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 19:57   #523
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Congrats Turbanator.
Did the showroom have two deliveries of Gypsy, since I see two gypsy in the picture.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 20:01   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Congrats Turbanator.
Did the showroom have two deliveries of Gypsy, since I see two gypsy in the picture.
Three actually, as per local dealer, this is the first lot they have received in 2018. One booking was from December 2017!

For some reasons, both had 13-14 Km on ODO even though Maruti plant is less than 500 metres from the local dealer.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 20:20   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So after a wait of over 2 months, finally got the delivery today :
Congratulations Wish you a pleasant ownership. Do you intend to use it for regular off-road jaunts? Mods planned?

Man! 7 lac is SWEET! I ended up paying almost a lac more, thanks to the ridiculously high road tax in KA
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks