Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 22:31   #1
BHPian

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Its been very long since I got fascinated by Gypsy King , As all gypsy owners say, its my teenage crush.

Its mid 2005, I am doing my MS(ortho) in Chennai, went out for dinner with my friends on East coast road (ECR) .

Had a very heavy dinner as usual, after which it was difficult getting out of my chair. Slowly helped myself out, Came out of the restaurant to my loving santro ( I clocked 85K on it with out even a single problem in 4 yrs) suddenly I spotted a beautiful open top gypsy beside my santro, Unable to turn my eyes, just kept starring it for 10 minutes.

My friends started to shout at me, so I have to leave that gypsy with a very heavy heart. I was not able to sleep the whole night .

Days passed, Years passed, Completed my MS (ortho) started to work in Chennai Greams road Apollo hospital for some time, shifted to Hyderabad worked in KIMS hospital after that Aware global hospital.

In 2009 August, finally shifted back to my home town and started my practice.

But still the Gypsy spark is burning inside me.

My main target after I started my practice is to own a brand new Gypsy as soon as possible.

Its February 2011, I finally decided to buy a new gypsy , Contacted my local Maruti dealer (Novelty Reddy and Reddy motors) and enquired about it.
To my surprise the sales person promised me to get me White hard top Gypsy with in 10 days after paying the full ex- showroom price, Very exited but did not belive him because you cannot imagine how fraud is that dealer, every persone in the dealership will start demanding money form you once you pay a booking advance horrible experience, people there are corrupt from top to bottom, it works like a government office not like a car showroom.

With the help of my co-brother and his father, Finally Booked a brand new Gypsy from SB Motors Rajamundary, on May 2 nd 2011 .The dealer booked my Gypsy with out any advance. But as goodwill gesture I paid an advance of 25K. Delivery time promised to me by the sales person is 6 weeks. Recived a call after 4 weeks on May 30th from the dealer, that my Gypsy has arrived, I did not sleep whole night.

Next day morning I planned for the delivery, But next Auspicious day is on june 4th 2011.Next day unable to control my excitement went to the showroom which is 85km from my place just to have a look at the beauty. Took the test drive of Gypsy for the first time, Experience of driving a brand new gypsy is something only to feel for . I am on Cloud 9.Four days were never so long in my life before that. Finally the day has arrived. Started by 1 pm that afternoon to Rajamundary, Reached there by 2:15pm .

My Beauty is ready for delivery .

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1543.jpg

God finally my dream is a reality now

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1545.jpg

I cant belive my self, its a reality now to own a brand new Gypsy king

I just kept touching my gypsy and feeling it as if i my soul is getting connected with my gypsy . After a while i came back in to this world .

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1546.jpg

Next comes the chance to open the drivers door
I just loved the interiors , have no reason for it . Took the steering in my hands and felt like a King , now i understood why its called a king
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1544.jpg

Opened the tail gate, and felt like it has acers of space which you dont find in any other car .
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1547.jpg

I opened the bonnet to have a look at the 1.3 beauty
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1549.jpg

Closer look at the 1.3
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1551.jpg

One of the workshop mechanic came to me and said, Sir today morning showroom owner came to see your gypsy, and took it for a drive to the near by temple and got the pooja done. It’s the first time showroom boss came and took a car for pooja personally.

It’s the first gypsy they delivered, after they started the showroom in past 18 years. Finished the official paper work in 30mins. I tried to bargain for some discounts ( knowing that I am going to get nothing), To my surprise I got a cash discount of 7K and floor mats(tough they are not of Gypsy) for free. Got insurance done outside from National insurance agent, on which I saved 4K as compared to the quote give by the dealer. Got a cupon for 5 liters of petrol from the nearest petrol station.

Took the delivery of my beloved beauty to the petrol station got its tummy filled up to the brim, and drove back my Gypsy to my place.

The journey starts with my Gypsy

I am like a kid with his new toy , just dont know what to do where to go . I want to shout, jump what not . Journey back home started and in 2 hrs we reached home , it was around 8pm . i want to sleep in my gypsy but you can understand the way your family looks at you if you reveal your desire . Had a sleepless night just waiting for the sun rays to hit my place on our planet , finally at 5:30 there is some light . I got ready in 30 mins , took the keys and started the engine . wrooom comes the 1.3 mpfi to life , just dont know where to drive so took it straifht to my farm which is 8 kms from place slotted the 4WD level to 4H and down i am in the paddy field . By 10 am i am back at my hospital in the OPD . The day ended with lot of offroading in the farm.

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1553.jpg

You can see the happyness on my face
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1555.jpg

Gypsy at peace, even my soul got some peace at last
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1557.jpg

Next day was a sunday , so i started to explore the near by beaches . where people cant go by a vehicle, then i started to see the beauty of my surrounding beaches completely isolate and untouched places . Now the explorer in me started to wake up .

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1561.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1562.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1563.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1564.jpg

What you like

• Its timeless design, it looks very good even after 26yrs since its launch.
• Fantastic gearbox its real fun to use.
• 4x4 capability, nothing can touch it offroad.
• Highway stability (don’t panic looking at this line, I did 135kmph on
Hyderabad outer ring road with AC, It is rock stable, thats after changing the shoes to Yokohama geolanders 215-75-R15)
• Very very reliable (don’t have to befriend a mechanic) fill it and shut.
• Service intervals of 12 months or 10,000kms.
• Very cheap to maintain
(except its taste for premium diet, war horse must be fed well to win the war)
• John abhram owns one.

What you don't

• Suspension .
• Rear seat comfort.
• Its premium diet.
• Myths about its fuel efficency.

Features

Kindly read all of the points below, took lot of pain in typing them[/b].[/b]

• Vanity mirror on passenger side sunvisor.
• Fabric seat upholstery for hard top version.
• Reclining and sliding front seats.
• Adjustable head restrains.
• Lockable glove compartment.
• Steering lock.
• Floor carpet.
• Front package tray.
• Driver side rear view mirror.
• Spare wheel cover.
• Front foot step assembly.
• If u r looking for features this is not for you .

Comfort

Its up to you to make it as comfortable as you can, Definitely better than mahindras ( not talking of scorpio ).I am not against any Mahindra cars.

Driving experience

John abhram said " Its like a wild horse " when he owned a brand new gypsyfew years back, that article was published in Autocar magazine.He is true, you have to tame it and then the fun begins with a Gypsy. Silky smooth engine and gearbox, I have to appreciate its petrol motor under the hood for all the fun.I have driven mahindras but no where they can be compared to a gypsy.

Lot of torque for a petrol motor. On highway you forget to shift to 5th gear and do 100km+ in 4th until you notice it. Had fantastic time with my Gypsy. I use my gypsy only for weekend drives, some times drive it to my hospital also.

Some strange feeling I discovered about Gypsy drive is, its like a craving for a smoke or a beer on a weekend.If I dont drive it for one week the above said craving starts to drive the Gypsy.

I want to call it Gypsying (like Smoking and Boozing)

Gypsying is an addiction for sure.

Fuel efficiency

The most interesting topic for any Indian, regarding cars ( For a country obscessed with mileage). DON’T FORGET IT’S A MARUTI. Its fuel efficient nothing to worry.There are lot of myths about Gypsy fuel efficiency.

HIGHWAY – 11.5 TO 13.5 kmpl with AC.
CITY – 8-10 kmpl with AC.

Maintainance

Service inrervals of 12months or 10000kms. It costs you 2000rs for every 10000km for oil and filter changes.

Thank's for patiently reading my Gypsy ownership experience, Hope you have enjoyed it.

More pictures of my gypsy for you

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1567.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1569.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1575.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_1576.jpg

Last edited by drbones : 31st October 2013 at 22:00. Reason: want to add my driving experience and ownership report
drbones is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 00:48   #2
BANNED

Re: Owned a brand new Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI finally.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2012 at 13:15.
sinhead is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th August 2012, 00:53   #3
BHPian

Let me the first to Congratulate you Drbones. Congrats for your new vehicle purchase. Only a real passionate car loving guy can keep the dream for many years and work it out when the right time comes. I could feel your excitement while reading each line of buying experience. Happy motoring my dear friend! Gypsy was a dream for many including me during school days, later when many new vehicles came in market and petrol price shot up that excitement died down. But after seeing your thread feel like, if Maruti could have plonked a diesel engine and updated the vehicle as per times, still there would have been many takers for this wonderful vehicle.
Willeys78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 01:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see you living your teen dream, that too buying a brand new one. Showroom's sole Gypsy sale in 18yrs eh?
Good to see that the Maruti emblem and name still exists on the Gypsy, one face lift it would have been gone.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 01:49   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. I hope you enjoy the time spent with the beast. You had a dream and you achieved it , I am really envious!
On a side note i was in jaipur last week with my uncle who is a brigadier and happened to sit in military green new 2011 gypsy(yup the car number started with a ^11. All military vehicles have the first two digits of their regn. number as the year of manufacturing). The beast had run just 1800 kms. I even drove it within the cantt and boy, i sure loved the confident take-me-anywhere-capability of the car(All military gypsies are 4x4 by a rule & BTW does it come in 4x2?). On chatting with the driver, he said that he is planning to remove the rear side facing seats because of the zero thigh and back support and fitting 2 front facing rows. It didn't strike me to ask him how he planned to do it and took it for granted that it was possible, one of the reasons being i was not interested in the gypsy much.
But IMO now i don't think that its possible and it would be difficult to fit at least the 2nd rear row. Any ideas fellow Bhpians?
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 07:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. Your story is what this forum is about - automotive passion! Also, should you ever wish to personalise/pump some steroids into your Gypsy, do look at khan_sultan's thread on conversion of his stock Gypsy to Spidey.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Congrats! Expect some envious looks - may be from another MS student!

I have same question as abhinavinc. Is your version 4x4 and is it the default?
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2012, 23:17   #8
BHPian

Congratulations Drbones ! I must admit that you really are passionate about your true love your Gypsy. Wish you a million safe miles in your drive !
Ahmed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 10:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. It felt nice to read about your passion for owning a Gypsy and how it turned into reality. Wishing you many happy miles in your ride.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 11:15   #10
BHPian

Nice to read about the Gypsy after a long time! It was my school days dream vehicle too! The only turn off was the interior which Maruti should have updated by now.

BTW how much did it cost OTR? is it 4*4?
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 11:30   #11
BHPian

Congrats Doc!! Gypsy looks really good, and you look happier

Please do keep us posted about your adventures with your beloved beast!

Congrats again. Cheers!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 23:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willeys78 View Post
Let me the first to Congratulate you Drbones. Congrats for your new vehicle purchase. Only a real passionate car loving guy can keep the dream for many years and work it out when the right time comes. I could feel your excitement while reading each line of buying experience. Happy motoring my dear friend! Gypsy was a dream for many including me during school days, later when many new vehicles came in market and petrol price shot up that excitement died down. But after seeing your thread feel like, if Maruti could have plonked a diesel engine and updated the vehicle as per times, still there would have been many takers for this wonderful vehicle.

Thanks willeys78. As u mentioned maruti should have improved it a lot if they wish to, It would have given Tata and Mahindra sleepless nights.

Things what a Gypsy needs right now are?

Factory fitted AC,

Power steering,

Body colored dashboard (same design with metal) for that retro look,

Comfortable seats front, front facing rear seats,

1.3 ddis engine mated to its fantastic 4x4,

ABS, Air bags.

Reduce rear overhang by 11 mm which will qualify for small car tax benefit,

Can reduce its ground Clearence by 10mm to increase stability on highway,

Increase it's front and rear wheel tracks further by 10 mm, can retain the same wheel base.

Give it a good suspension,

A metal top.

Maruti can position it in the price range of 6-10 lacs promote it as a life style vehicle and see the magic it does.

Maruti kindly stop marketing of Kizashi and Grand vitara which will never take off in Indian market. Concentrate on Gypsy and see what it does ?

Hope I can meet some Top brass at maruti and convince them for my dream project Mission Gypsy, get involved in its development.

Kaash, if I am an automobile engineer I would haved tried my best for this project to give India the best affordable All in one SUV. But any one from maruti is interested I am ready to join the team of Mission Gypsy.

[/list]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
Congrats on your new ride. I hope you enjoy the time spent with the beast. You had a dream and you achieved it , I am really envious!
On a side note i was in jaipur last week with my uncle who is a brigadier and happened to sit in military green new 2011 gypsy(yup the car number started with a ^11. All military vehicles have the first two digits of their regn. number as the year of manufacturing). The beast had run just 1800 kms. I even drove it within the cantt and boy, i sure loved the confident take-me-anywhere-capability of the car(All military gypsies are 4x4 by a rule & BTW does it come in 4x2?). On chatting with the driver, he said that he is planning to remove the rear side facing seats because of the zero thigh and back support and fitting 2 front facing rows. It didn't strike me to ask him how he planned to do it and took it for granted that it was possible, one of the reasons being i was not interested in the gypsy much.
But IMO now i don't think that its possible and it would be difficult to fit at least the 2nd rear row. Any ideas fellow Bhpians?

Thanks abhinavinc, gypsy comes only with 4x4.

It doesn't have a 4x2 version even abroad where it's called SJ413 or Suzuki Samuri in different countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Congrats. Your story is what this forum is about - automotive passion! Also, should you ever wish to personalise/pump some steroids into your Gypsy, do look at khan_sultan's thread on conversion of his stock Gypsy to Spidey.

Thanks theMAG,

All the members of team bhp are very passionate about their rides, so am I.

Team bhp provides a fantastic platform to express our passion towards our cars, bikes and anything with an engine and wheels.

I followed khan sultan posts with very keen interest on his Spidey.

But will plan my own modifications in future. Want to use my gypsy stock for at least for the next 3 yrs, and enjoy its originality and thrill.

Then comes the phase of modifications on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Nice to read about the Gypsy after a long time! It was my school days dream vehicle too! The only turn off was the interior which Maruti should have updated by now.

Thanks urajkumar,

On Road price for hard top is 7 lac in andhra pradesh.

Taxes are the highest in India here.

Any accessories you prefer are extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post

urajkumar thanks,

As you said, maruti should have updated the interiors.
OTR for gypsy king hard top is 7 lac (andhrapradesh), any accessories will be extra.

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2013 at 13:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 13:23   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to 4x4. Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st November 2013, 19:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Interesting ownership thread, which saw light of day a year after it was written .

Have you made any updates to the car as yet? AC, Power steering, off-road mods? Looking forward to your year-long ownership update.
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Interesting ownership thread, which saw light of day a year after it was written .

Have you made any updates to the car as yet? AC, Power steering, off-road mods? Looking forward to your year-long ownership update.
Predatoreheelz sorry for the delay in posting this thread , Ac was installed which is very effective . Power steering was planned , but after I changed my tyres to geolanders ATs steering was comfortable even in city traffic . Hence PS cancelled . Regarding off-road modifications nothing radical we're done or neither on my plans in future , installed fuel tank guard , front differential guard and transfer case guard . I use my gypsy for long cross country drives and weekend off-roading . Clocked 28000kms as of date , will update all my drives and memorable events with this fantastic 4x4 vehicle one after the other .
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed