Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 18:06   #121
BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Today, i went to the ground and tried out the 4H and 4L modes. One thing i noticed is, when the vehicle is in Neutral and i dont press the clutch i find it very difficult to shift from 2H to 4H (though i can). However when i press the clutch , it easily switches between the modes. Is that the way to do it?

I ran the vehicle a few feet on 4H and it worked fine. However iam a bit confused with 4L. I thought the clutch isnt even needed for 4L. WHen i switched to 4L and released the clutch on 1st gear, it stalled. However next time i was able to do it and just press on the gas pedal and could crawl. However when tried again it stalled

Do i even need to press the clutch for 4L. Even if i release it fully shouldnt it crawl? Why does it stall sometimes?

Thanks
Shyam
Old 8th May 2016, 18:26   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Today, i went to the ground and tried out the 4H and 4L modes. One thing i noticed is, when the vehicle is in Neutral and i dont press the clutch i find it very difficult to shift from 2H to 4H (though i can). However when i press the clutch , it easily switches between the modes. Is that the way to do it?

Thanks
Shyam
I am no expert. But a Gypsy owner/driver told me that the correct way to switch between the modes is to press the clutch while doing it, apart from being stationary. He mentioned that it causes less wear and tear and occurs easily. I haven't cross checked this. But the general notion is that whatever the vehicle accepts more naturally is better.

Experts, please enlighten.

Regards,
Neel
Old 8th May 2016, 19:51   #123
BHPian

I take back my words. I tried 4L again both in 1st and 2nd. I could feel the torque in 2nd gear. I was able to run directly on 2nd without any stall issues and i could feel the power. So i believe it works. I guess it didnt lock fully into 4L earlier

Also, as Sawyer said earlier, i think the 1st gear in the Gypsy seems to have pretty good torque to handle the steepest of climbs . All you need to do is push the gas
Old 8th May 2016, 20:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

Changing modes is done after pressing the clutch. Changing into 4wd can be done while moving - I don't recall what is max speed recommended, but below 30 kmph is good. Going from 4H to 4L, only with a stationary car.

Any correctly tuned car should crawl in first with both feet off the pedals; I haven't tried this in a long time, but I expect that the Gypsy will do this in second gear also, when in low range. Actually, the car is more manageable in second and higher gears in low range, it is very sensitive to the accelerator pedal in first and can be a jerky drive.
Old 11th May 2016, 22:39   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

These discussions have got me really excited, so much so that I am leaning towards disposing off my newly acquired pre-owned carb King and pick up a brand new MPFI one! Interestingly, the dealer has told me that the following colors are available - silky silver, airforce blue, dolphin blue, and harvest green. Yes, you got it right - NO WHITE! I asked them twice and they confirmed.

If all goes well, I should be placing the order within a week or two
Cheers...
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 07:03   #126
Senior - BHPian

With all that said, I won't be surprised if the one that is delivered will be white. Buy the soft top - it is the one to have. Now that you have decided to live with the impractical things about it, might as well go the distance!
Old 12th May 2016, 08:12   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Interestingly, the dealer has told me that the following colors are available - silky silver, airforce blue, dolphin blue, and harvest green. Yes, you got it right - NO WHITE!
When it comes to the Gypsy, neither the dealers nor anyone at MSIL is sure what is available to a civilian customer at any point of time!

The MSIL website for the Gypsy shows these four colours:
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-capture.jpg

In any case, I believe MSIL will be making your Gypsy to order. So go ahead and order your Gypsy in the colour of your choice. The classic 1980's blue is my favourite. Congratulations in advance!
Old 12th May 2016, 10:23   #128
Senior - BHPian

I have a vague memory of being told in 2009 that the harvest green was a strong possibility, till the white landed up. I had only declared at the time that I would refuse delivery of a red car.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:11   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have a vague memory of being told in 2009 that the harvest green was a strong possibility, till the white landed up. I had only declared at the time that I would refuse delivery of a red car.
Harvest green is still available and bought by my relative few months back.
Maximum national parks now have a policy to allow only petrol 4x4 vehicle inside the jungle and thus Maruti still supplies that green gypsy to many operators.
There was once a rule which might have changed as i am not sure to not allow gypsy older than 5 year. Many operators in Bandhavgarh and Panna had to buy new gypsies.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 12th May 2016, 12:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy the soft top - it is the one to have. Now that you have decided to live with the impractical things about it, might as well go the distance!
Of course I will buy the soft top - goes without saying. And you are right - having driven my current Gypsy for a good 6 months on almost a daily basis, I got a good perspective of living with a Gypsy and decided to go with a new one, while I can afford it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Harvest green is still available and bought by my relative few months back.
Shubhendra Sir - would it be possible for you to share a pic of a harvest green Gypsy? I have been trying hard to see how this color looks on a Gypsy but have been unable to get any good images. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
When it comes to the Gypsy, neither the dealers nor anyone at MSIL is sure what is available to a civilian customer at any point of time!
I agree. Interestingly, I went to the dealer again today and when I asked the sales rep about the color options again, she googled for available color options for a Gypsy I requested her to reach out to MUL and provide me with available options. Let's see.

On a side note - I am about to put my current Gypsy up for sale on TBHP classifieds. Interested folks can PM me for details. Here is a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-g1.jpg  

Old 12th May 2016, 13:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am about to put my current Gypsy up for sale on TBHP classifieds.
The car looks to be in decent shape, and if it is a 1.3 litre engine, are you sure you want to invest in a new one? What do you think you are missing?

Philosophically, the less the electronics the better in a Gypsy kind of a car. Less to go wrong. I bought mine new in 2009 because I wasn't sure how to get a reliable used one, and I knew I was going to keep it for at least ten years.

If your car is in sound mechanical condition, why change?

Harvest green is very close to the army colour. More of green and less of brown tint compared to the army one, but at a distance it looks very similar to an army Gypsy.

Last edited by Sawyer : 12th May 2016 at 13:41.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:52   #132
Senior - BHPian

This I believe is the harvest green colour we are talking about. Remember seeing a handful at the factory a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-27022010.jpg  

Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 13:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This I believe is the harvest green colour we are talking about. Remember seeing a handful at the factory a few years ago.
Yes, this is the one.

Shubhendra
Old 12th May 2016, 16:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car looks to be in decent shape, and if it is a 1.3 litre engine, are you sure you want to invest in a new one? What do you think you are missing?
I am not missing anything really - the car runs great. It is just the urge (aka "keeda" ) to own a new Gypsy, more so because I intend to keep it for a good 10+ years. Getting a pre-owned one was more of testing the waters - looks like I am good to go for a new one.

Quote:
Looks good, and quite close to the Army one. This will be my choice, if available. Although Dolphin Blue looks equally tempting.

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th May 2016 at 16:11.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:14   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks good, and quite close to the Army one. This will be my choice, if available.
cool_dube

To be honest, having seen both the green Gypsies side by side at the factory, there is a noticeable difference in the two shades. I don't know if you have seen the Gypsies at the various national parks / sanctuaries in India. This harvest green colour is that colour (similar to the green seen in nature). I think the shade was on offer in the Maruti 800 / Omni of the 1990's.

My pick would any day be the blue, or even the red. In any case, looking forward to seeing your shiny new Gypsy!

Most Viewed