Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 20:35   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I wonder if the steering effort gets any lighter; I doubt it does because it is heavy at only parking speeds and at such speeds the engaged front components also would move slowly. I could be wrong though, and a noticeably reduction in effort may make this worthy of consideration.
It does marginally, if you have upsized tyre it will be very evident. I am a string proponent of FWH, have it installed on my Thar also. Once in a month i engage it so that the internal moves and lubricate the parts.
Old 16th May 2016, 21:31   #152
BHPian

Quote:
If this option is a must, I agree it makes sense - I don't expect to be in a situation where I can think of this need though, based on my years of use. I rarely have a combination of grades+load that make this necessary.
I wonder if the steering effort gets any lighter; I doubt it does because it is heavy at only parking speeds and at such speeds the engaged front components also would move slowly. I could be wrong though, and a noticeably reduction in effort may make this worthy of consideration.
I use low range much more frequently than most people. Three examples with my pajero:

1. A dirt Road near my farm. In high range it requires frequent shifting between 2nd and 3rd. In low range, I can cruise in 5th effortlessly without hardly any shifting, little throttle, and slightly lower rpm.

2. Long sections of the road to padum. The altitude, incline and surface conditions make Second too short and third too tall, making for lots of shifting. In low range 4th and 5th make effortless low rev cruising.

3. The climb to tanglangla, same thing. 2nd too short, 3rd too tall in high range. But 5th in low range makes the effect of altitude and incline just disappear.

In most cases, the surface condition does not require 4wd. Thus using 4L brings in all the frictional losses of tires scrubbing due to the locked center diff.

If I could use Low range without drive to the front tyres, that would be awesome. If I had a gypsy, if make sure I had that option. I would just love the option for torque multiplication independent of 4wd.

As far as steering goes x it's less about steering effort and more about steering feel. Differential in the steering axle messes with steering feel, something I don't like. If it can be disengaged, I would always prefer that.

Last edited by Harbir : 16th May 2016 at 21:42.
Old 17th May 2016, 06:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Three examples with my pajero:

1. A dirt Road near my farm. In high range it requires frequent shifting between 2nd and 3rd. In low range, I can cruise in 5th effortlessly without hardly any shifting, little throttle, and slightly lower rpm.
What you are saying is that you need a 2.5 gear in H!

The only time I missed the need for this in my Pajero was when I had to climb out a steep turn from stationary on a tarmac road; I had to slip the clutch in 1st to get past the turn, but since that was a one off, it did not matter. But a transmission as capable as the SSII needs this capability, and I had written that here as well, in my Pajero thread of years ago. A 2L option, or even 4L with unlocked centre diff would allow the car to climb twisting grades that could not be walked on 2 legs!

For the Gypsy, I can live without it. In my subjective assessment, the tradeoff isn't worth the additional cost and complexity of after market hubs.
Old 17th May 2016, 21:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Finally the ad for my Gypsy is online - please see it here. Do pass the word around

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th May 2016 at 21:57.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 22:28   #155
Senior - BHPian

Instead of selling why don't you put it a baleno engine if power is what you are looking at, if at all. On the contrary, the king carb and mpfi are just 15bhp (i think) apart with all other things remaining the same. Why get into an unnecessary mode of selling and buying the same thing. Instead mod this one. Get better shock absorbers, bumpers, rock sliders, seats, AC, lights, alloys. I'm sure it will be worth it.

If you were 'upgrading', then it should be something different.
Just my view.
Desmosedici is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 06:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Finally the ad for my Gypsy is online - please see it
Good one, I too feel the car is a keeper. Given the OTT thing, a Bangalore buyer would be ideal...if you must sell!
You haven't mentioned how many kms it has run.

Last edited by Sawyer : 18th May 2016 at 06:33.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 07:23   #157
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Instead of selling why don't you put it a baleno engine if power is what you are looking at, if at all. On the contrary, the king carb and mpfi are just 15bhp (i think) apart with all other things remaining the same. Why get into an unnecessary mode of selling and buying the same thing. Instead mod this one. Get better shock absorbers, bumpers, rock sliders, seats, AC, lights, alloys. I'm sure it will be worth it.

If you were 'upgrading', then it should be something different.
Just my view.
This is a good idea really.
Since you've spent the money and done up the vehicle and its done well by you so far, it is definitely a good idea to consider some small utilitarian mods and enhancements to it. This will cost you significantly less than buying a brand new one and at the same time, give you a lot of pleasure as well.

Think on it.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to do all these mods, except the engine swap, on the new one that I buy

Quote:
You haven't mentioned how many kms it has run.
It has ~31,000 km on the odo, which is the correct reading as per the previous owner. I did not dig too much into it, given the excellent performance of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is a good idea really.
Since you've spent the money and done up the vehicle and its done well by you so far, it is definitely a good idea to consider some small utilitarian mods and enhancements to it. This will cost you significantly less than buying a brand new one and at the same time, give you a lot of pleasure as well.
Thanks for all the friendly advice folks - really appreciate it. Believe me, this debate has been raging in my head for at least a month or so. In fact, I had placed an order for some of these utilitarian parts as well with one of the dealers here, against an advance payment. But this is one of those things which you cannot rationalize - you just know that you want to do it. So this decision has come after a lot of deliberation and I doubt that I will withdraw now. That said, I am in no tearing hurry and will wait n watch for the offers I get and enjoy my current ride in the meanwhile
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:41   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
But this is one of those things which you cannot rationalize - you just know that you want to do it. So this decision has come after a lot of deliberation and I doubt that I will withdraw now.
 So glad to hear that, cool_dube. Once in a while, we should all go with our hearts. For all you know, yours may be one of the few last new civilian Gypsies ever to roll out!

Hope your current ride gets sold off at a good price soon. Good luck!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

With only 31000 kms run, the engine has many years of service ahead of it. And if it was used in Pune, there would not be any corrosion issue anywhere in the frame/chassis.

The thing about the Gypsy is that all you get for the price is an engine, transmission, four wheels with steering/brakes and a chassis; the body/interiors are worth peanuts. When you think about that, the price for a new one seems steep to many. But I realise that this a very subjective thing and whatever works for you is best for you.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:42   #161
Senior - BHPian

I still feel from a monetary aspect, you should reconsider.

A new one is around 7.25 Lakhs on road i guess. Add on the mods that you planning and it will take you a further 1.5, maybe 2 Lakhs, so that's like 9 lakhs approx.

Imagine having that much amount in hand and building a super gypsy as per your choice, whims and fancies. I mean imagine what all can be done.

Again just saying .
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

Having bought a new one and selling it after 4 years and 30k kms, i totally agree with Sawyer and Desmo.
But, in the end, it is upto you.
Good luck with either options.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:04   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hope your current ride gets sold off at a good price soon. Good luck!
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
With only 31000 kms run, the engine has many years of service ahead of it. And if it was used in Pune, there would not be any corrosion issue anywhere in the frame/chassis.
That is correct - the engine is almost as good as new. Also, the body line is perfect. Whatever little traces of rust were there, were taken care of during the re-paint job, along with an under-body coating.

Quote:
I still feel from a monetary aspect, you should reconsider
Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Having bought a new one and selling it after 4 years and 30k kms, i totally agree with Sawyer and Desmo.
Thanks again guys, and I know you are trying to save some bucks for me However, as I said, I have already made up my mind. I already have a few good offers for my Gypsy, thanks to TBHP Classifieds. Hope to close the deal over the next week.
Old 26th May 2016, 11:09   #164
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Does the 1.3 lit engine fitted in the Gypsy power any other Maruti Suzuki car as well?

Cheers...
Old 26th May 2016, 11:47   #165
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The engine powered the esteem,versa and the Swift (until 2010)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks