Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 13:10   #211
BANNED

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Having bought a new one and selling it after 4 years and 30k kms, i totally agree with Sawyer and Desmo.
Why selling/sold it?

On the other hand, while it makes complete financial sense in buying a pre owned Gypsy and restoring it to one's heart's content, somehow, the joy of buying a new Gypsy which has everything new is a feeling I too can connect to.

Why am I saying this? Well, my better half has recently been bitten by the Gypsy bug...!!! Not the OTR bug, but the Gypsy bug.
Old 26th June 2016, 15:04   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Why am I saying this? Well, my better half has recently been bitten by the Gypsy bug...!!! Not the OTR bug, but the Gypsy bug.
Have you bought a new Gypsy?
Old 26th June 2016, 17:44   #213
BHPian

Hey Sawyer,

I had a few questions on the gears

What is the max speed at which you switch from 2nd to 3rd. The manual says the max speed on 2nd gear is 60 KPH. But i normally switch to 3rd around 40KPH. I find the engine revving high beyond 40KPH at 2nd gear. Have you stayed on 2nd till 60 KPH? Also from a fuel efficiency perspective what according to you, is the right max speed for each gear?

Would love to get the benefit of your experience

Thanks
Shyam
Old 26th June 2016, 17:52   #214
BHPian

Here are a few photos of myself and my Gypsy happily resting on my farmland and a nice temperature of 25 degrees

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-dsc_0045.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-dsc_0105.jpg
shyamkrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 18:09   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
What is the max speed at which you switch from 2nd to 3rd. The manual says the max speed on 2nd gear is 60 KPH. But i normally switch to 3rd around 40KPH. I find the engine revving high beyond 40KPH at 2nd gear. Have you stayed on 2nd till 60 KPH? Also from a fuel efficiency perspective what according to you, is the right max speed for each gear?
It is more a matter of rpm, and since you have driven other cars, the same general experience can translate to the Gypsy. Most of the times, you want to move from say, 1st to 2nd, as early as the engine can run enough rpm for the road speed being achieved, with not having the foot on the clutch. As in other cars, you will know by feel how soon you can do that for each gear, and from a fuel economy perspective, the sooner the better. But remember always that it is much easier to damage the engine by running in 3rd for example, when 2nd is needed and the engine is audibly knocking/struggling to keep the car moving, than the other way around.

While off roading on the other hand, you will want to not change in a hurry, because you want the additional power of the extra rpm, until you are sure that you don't need it, and can change to the next gear. It is quite similar to climbing a ghat in a normal car. Also, driving through water, you want to keep rpm high, to prevent water entry through the exhaust pipe and also to not stall half way.

There isn't much need to overthink this just for Gypsy, you will soon get used to the sound of the engine and drive accordingly; I assume here that you aren't new to driving generally.

I doubt I have ever come close to 60 in 2nd; I have never felt the need to hold on to 2nd till then in any situation.
Old 26th June 2016, 21:17   #216
BHPian

Quote:
I assume here that you aren't new to driving generally.
Nope. Iam definitely not new to driving, have driven for almost 23 years. Its just that i noticed the fuel gauge going up and down based on specific gears. When i am on a specific gear and pretty high RPM i find the fuel gauge shifts faster towards empty , however if iam at a lower RPM its steady. Thats why i was asking from a fuel efficiency perspective
Old 26th June 2016, 21:37   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Have you bought a new Gypsy?
No. Not yet, but fortunately I can buy one if my better half wishes to. Which is exactly what I am trying to convince her against...!!
Old 18th July 2016, 16:27   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Nope. Iam definitely not new to driving, have driven for almost 23 years. Its just that i noticed the fuel gauge going up and down based on specific gears. When i am on a specific gear and pretty high RPM i find the fuel gauge shifts faster towards empty , however if iam at a lower RPM its steady. Thats why i was asking from a fuel efficiency perspective
I believe the Gypsy Fuel gauge only indicates the level of fuel in the tank and does not show real-time consumption. So if the gauge is fluctuating, then that is a malfunction. Surprising , though !
Old 20th July 2016, 12:09   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just had a chat with the dealer - production in Maruti Suzuki plants was suspended for a few days due to fire at Subros! This might impact the production schedule for Gypsy's as well Well, just need to be patient I guess...
Here is the latest update guys - the sales manager from the dealership called earlier today to update me on the chat he had with the MSIL TSM for my area. Apparently MSIL cannot give me any definitive timeline for delivery of a Dolphin Blue Gypsy as they do not have a "bulk" order for the same as on date - now I am not sure how many units will make a bulk order.

So I am left with 3 options:

a) Wait indefinitely for a Dolphin Blue Gypsy
b) Update my booking to a Superior White Gypsy and get delivery within a month from now (as promised by the TSM)
c) Cancel the booking altogether

What a bummer!
Old 20th July 2016, 12:47   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I am left with 3 options:

a) Wait indefinitely for a Dolphin Blue Gypsy
b) Update my booking to a Superior White Gypsy and get delivery within a month from now (as promised by the TSM)
c) Cancel the booking altogether

What a bummer!
Going by the general picture of gypsy purchase by civilians, I think you only have a possible option of going for the white colour if you really want to purchase. Waiting for bulk order that too for dolphin blue color seem to be a never-ending saga.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:14   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Going by the general picture of gypsy purchase by civilians, I think you only have a possible option of going for the white colour if you really want to purchase. Waiting for bulk order that too for dolphin blue color seem to be a never-ending saga.
I understand the sales scenario. However, from a customer viewpoint, why should this be of any concern to me? This is unacceptable and not fair on the part of MSIL. How can they keep a customer waiting indefinitely just because they do not have enough orders for a particular color? As a customer, the no. of orders for this color from all over India is none of my concerns. I have opted for a color that is published in the brochure as an available color and I would expect it to be delivered to me within reasonable timelines.

I am planning to explore the option of approaching the consumer court on this

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th July 2016 at 15:17.
Old 20th July 2016, 15:38   #222
Senior - BHPian

Perfectly valid points. IIRC, couple of years back, someone in the forum had a long wait for a non-white color model, but eventually got it.

Quote:
..I am planning to explore the option of approaching the consumer court on this
Would be interesting to see reply from Maruti.
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:24   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Perfectly valid points. IIRC, couple of years back, someone in the forum had a long wait for a non-white color model, but eventually got it.

Would be interesting to see reply from Maruti.
In Mysore dealers say only harvest Green and white are available . Booking amount is 10K - 3 months waiting period .
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:39   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
In Mysore dealers say only harvest Green and white are available . Booking amount is 10K - 3 months waiting period .
This is probably the 1st time a dealer has confirmed availability of a non-white colour having same waiting period as the white one. Usually it is the same story of having white as the only colour option.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:10   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Are you sure it's 10K. The minimum I hear from dealers here is 50K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks