Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2016, 06:52   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
So after 3 months of waiting patiently, but to no avail, I have decided to succumb to the charms of a white Gypsy Should have one in my parking lot within 30 days, if all goes well!!
Are you buying the hard top?
and when exactly did you book it?
Old 4th September 2016, 09:10   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Were they a straight fit or you had to get additional holes drilled?
Gypsy mirrors need 2 screws while the bolero mirror is a 3 screw pattern.
If you are averse to drilling holes, you could get maruti van mirrors from the showroom and get it fitted on the Gypsy.
Be careful with the brand of bolero mirrors. Try to get one from LUMAX.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 12:05   #273
BANNED

Just for fun my Dad and I went to Pratham Motors HSR Layout.
No one there knows anything about the Gypsy except for the fact that it will be delivered in around 3 months after one books it and pays the downpayment amount.
There is not even one executive who knows anything at all in that shop - except for the fact that they tell you that you must not park here or there but must take your car further away, park and walk back.
Then they also try to sell you Brezza Saar - Full Hit Car Saar. Beshtu Saar.

They don't even have a good stock of brochures and in general the service attitude is all wrong.

But then, thats the downside of being India's most popular and trusted car maker with zillions of dealerships, complete control of the market (which at the moment still appears to be a 100% sellers market) and a 100% laissez faire attitude to consumers.

Because clearly, the need and want and demand is just so overwhelmingly more than the supply that these dealers simply couldn't care less.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 23:07   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
They needed drilling holes on both sides
I'd refrain from doing so, unless absolutely unavoidable. Is it true that a LHS OE ORVM for the Gypsy is not even available as a spare part with MSIL? Hard to imagine a car being produced without a LHS ORVM in today's times So much for CMV rules! Thank god they at least provide indicators!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Are you buying the hard top?
No, I am getting a soft top.

Quote:
and when exactly did you book it?
I booked it on 24th May (more than 3 months back) with Dolphin Blue as the color of my choice. It was sheer ignorance and unawareness on my dealer's part that my booking was accepted in this color, despite (as I was told by the TSM later) MSIL's clear instructions to dealers to not take bookings in any color other than white. So I waited for 3 months, running from pillar to post, trying my best to get my Gypsy in this color. After 3 long months I eventually realized the futility of my endeavor since MSIL was very clear that they will not produce the Gypsy in a color other than white unless they have 20-25 orders in that color - which was highly unlikely a case for Dolphin Blue - as well as the fact that MSIL does not give a hoot if I end up canceling my order. In fact, the TSM recommended that I cancel my booking and they would instruct the dealer to refund the entire booking amount ASAP. This, along with a very innocent (but sensible) statement from my 7-yr old (how does the color matter dad, as long as we are getting an open top Gypsy) nailed it for me and I switched my order to a White about 10 days back. From what I hear, a new lot is rolling out around mid-Sept and given 10-12 days of transit, I should have my dream car by end of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
If you are averse to drilling holes, you could get maruti van mirrors from the showroom and get it fitted on the Gypsy.
Thanks Deepak. Are Omni mirrors a straight fit for the Gypsy? Also, I presume that even with this option, I'd have to drill holes on the LHS door anyways, right?

Quote:
Just for fun my Dad and I went to Pratham Motors HSR Layout.
Ha.. this is in stark contrast to my dealer who was not only 'aware' that Gypsy is available for 'civilians' but was confident of getting me one in any color I want The level of unawareness of these dealers when it comes to the Gypsy is as appalling as it is amusing.

Quote:
Because clearly, the need and want and demand is just so overwhelmingly more than the supply that these dealers simply couldn't care less.
You are spot on! As I said above, and I believe Sawyer mentioned in one of his posts, they would not give a damn if 15 orders for a Gypsy go down the drain while they are busy cranking out hundreds of Swifts and Brezza's per day

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th September 2016 at 23:11.
Old 5th September 2016, 05:06   #275
Senior - BHPian

They might be bothered if they get 15 civilian orders for the car even every few months; they don't.
Old 5th September 2016, 05:20   #276
BANNED

Quote:
No, I am getting a soft top.

From what I hear, a new lot is rolling out around mid-Sept and given 10-12 days of transit, I should have my dream car by end of this month.
What will happen if I also come to your dealer and ask for a Gypsy? Suppose Im ok with a hardtop white will I also get one in this Sep lot?
Or shall I have to wait until dark - that is December or so for a vehicle?
Next, what IS the final On Road price for your White, Soft Top? And the corresponding price for a Hard Top?

Cheers.
Old 5th September 2016, 08:34   #277
Senior - BHPian

I need to ask the mods to close this thread. It's injurious to our pockets!
Rahul shared his ad here and it rekindled the dormant Gypsy bug in me. And now shankar.balan has started on his 'quest'.. lol!
It really is an amazing machine. More than two decades, yet it can tug at heart strings like no other. Wow.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 09:57   #278
Senior - BHPian

A gentle warning to not let the heart overrule the head. The Gypsy isn't an easy car to live with over the long term, on Indian roads, in Indian traffic and Indian weather.

That John Abraham also has one in his garage should not be the deciding factor. There is a reason why almost all private buys of this car are from the used market. There is also a reason why you won't see any ex Army people buying a new Gypsy for themselves.

The other thing to know is that for Rs 8 lakhs, all you get is an engine, a drive train with steerable wheels, a rudimentary body, and an apology for a suspension.

Buy it with the heart perhaps, but not in a brain freeze moment. I'd go so far as to say buy a new one only if the investment is small enough to be a casual one in your book.

Last edited by Sawyer : 5th September 2016 at 10:04.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 11:49   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the corresponding price for a Hard Top?
Hi Shankar,
While there is no comparison to Gypsy in terms of ergonomics, it pretty much feels better in every other aspect.
If you would like, please drive my vehicle - '15 Thar. It is not as bad as you think. Post that, you can make a decision of whether to go with a Gypsy or a Thar. We could also chat up a bit on the Thar v/s Gypsy debate

Quote:
Buy it with the heart perhaps, but not in a brain freeze moment.
Absolutely agree. +100..

Quote:
While there is no comparison to Gypsy in terms of ergonomics, it pretty much feels better in every other aspect.
I meant, thar feels better in every other aspect.
Quote:
Thanks Deepak. Are Omni mirrors a straight fit for the Gypsy? Also, I presume that even with this option, I'd have to drill holes on the LHS door anyways, right?
Yup, the Omni mirrors are a straight fit.
You would still have to drill holes on the LHS door. However, there would be indentations already on where the hole needs to be drilled.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by Aditya : 5th September 2016 at 15:00. Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old 5th September 2016, 14:41   #280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Rahul shared his ad here and it rekindled the dormant Gypsy bug in me. And now shankar.balan has started on his 'quest'.. lol!
It really is an amazing machine. More than two decades, yet it can tug at heart strings like no other. Wow.
I absolutely agree. Its like sitting in my head and not going away. 30 years and still it is capable with its simplicity and toughness, to elicit such reactions from so many different kinds of people!

Quote:
A gentle warning to not let the heart overrule the head. The Gypsy isn't an easy car to live with over the long term, on Indian roads, in Indian traffic and Indian weather.

That John Abraham also has one in his garage should not be the deciding factor. There is a reason why almost all private buys of this car are from the used market. There is also a reason why you won't see any ex Army people buying a new Gypsy for themselves.

The other thing to know is that for Rs 8 lakhs, all you get is an engine, a drive train with steerable wheels, a rudimentary body, and an apology for a suspension.

Buy it with the heart perhaps, but not in a brain freeze moment. I'd go so far as to say buy a new one only if the investment is small enough to be a casual one in your book.

This is solid advice. I agree. But there is nothing like a new Gypsy. I m not into all this re-building jazz. I just aint got the time. For me, if I want it, I will probably buy a new one, but if I do find a top class used one, I can consider it. Saying that, I am just pipe dreaming right now. I can barely run my Yeti each month for 700-900 kms so you can imagine what a complete dunderhead I would be if I went and bought a Gypsy as well.
I m not influenced by John Abraham and other people at all. I just have this strange urge within myself.

Quote:
Hi Shankar,
If you would like, please drive my vehicle - '15 Thar. It is not as bad as you think. Post that, you can make a decision of whether to go with a Gypsy or a Thar. We could also chat up a bit on the Thar v/s Gypsy debate
Deepak
There are two Thars in my neighbourhood - both are up for sale. I mentioned this on another thread. My Dad and I went and sat in them and fiddled about with them yesterday but both of us came away saying the Thar is EXACTLY the same as our old MM540 and MM550 vehicles of the 1980's and 1990's. Nothing has changed, not even the door handles nor the window glass nor the zigzag stripe on the doors. Yes the heart is a Scorpio Crde engine and it does have 4x4 but the location of that 4x4 lever is so inconvenient that it is irritating. Having owned a Bolero and a Scorpio within the last 10 years, I can easily see the similarities in parts used and the general feel of the vehicle including the engine.
I love the looks of the Thar. No doubt about it. And I love its ruggedness. I love its tough gauge of metal and no nonsense look and feel.
But it is not ergonomic at all.
Frankly, while the Gypsy is better by a small margin, neither is that a very ergonomic vehicle either.

So for the moment, it is a pipe dream. I don't know if the pipes will play up and their strange, haunting music will end up leading me along this path like the Pied Piper of Hamelin led the Rats and the Children out...
Old 5th September 2016, 15:53   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What will happen if I also come to your dealer and ask for a Gypsy? Suppose Im ok with a hardtop white will I also get one in this Sep lot?
You need not come to my dealer - any dealer should take your booking. All bookings go via the TSM, irrespective of the dealer. If you are serious then I can check with him - particularly, on the feasibility of getting a hard top, since that too, akin to the color issue, depends on the 'threshold' no. of orders.

Quote:
Next, what IS the final On Road price for your White, Soft Top? And the corresponding price for a Hard Top?
On-road price in Bangalore for a soft top Gypsy King is almost 8 lac as of now. Add another 15K or so for a hard top. Any dealer should be able to give you a quotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I completely agree. Had it not been for this thread, I'd probably be content with my pre-owned Gypsy and saved a good amount of moolah But then, I would point everyone to the signature line on Shankar's posts and say no more!

Quote:
Completely agree with Sawyer here. Having owned a Mahindra Classic for 7+ years and then a pre-owned Gypsy for almost a year, I was able to take the plunge for a new Gypsy with confidence. In Shankar's case, too, it should be a safe bet I guess since he has owned a couple of Gypsys in the past. The most important aspect is to completely understand the pros and cons of a car like the Gypsy before signing that cheque.

Quote:
I'd go so far as to say buy a new one only if the investment is small enough to be a casual one in your book.
Again, agree completely! For 'relatively' sane (completely sane people would probably not buy a Gypsy in the first place) folks, it makes sense to go the pre-owned way.

Quote:
We could also chat up a bit on the Thar v/s Gypsy debate
On boy - here we go again Well, I guess both vehicles have their merits and demerits. Ultimately, it is the 'feel' of the vehicle (which is a very very individual thing) that drives these decisions. So I'd strongly second Starter's advise - take a TD of the Thar and decide for yourself. BTW, I TD'ed the That too before I took the plunge.

Quote:
Yup, the Omni mirrors are a straight fit. You would still have to drill holes on the LHS door. However, there would be indentations already on where the hole needs to be drilled.
Cool - thanks! Wonder what could have prevented MSIL to equip Gypsy with a LHS ORVM from the factory. Saving a measly 200-300 bucks on a 8 lac vehicle sounds el cheapo!!
Old 5th September 2016, 16:00   #282
BANNED

Please check on the HardTop for me.
Id at least like to know.
Id much rather have a hardtop than a softtop.
Old 5th September 2016, 16:19   #283
Senior - BHPian

As far as I can tell, the Thar isn't much different a buy than the Gypsy; the niggly Mahindra issues/ergonomics compared to the flawless mechanicals(!) of Gypsy make up by losing the advantage gained by diesel. And remember that if you go into nature reserves, the diesel racket is why Gypsies are often allowed inside, being petrol and much more silent.

The only thing I see the Gypsy lose out on Thar that ought to be considered is AC. Considering the additional hours needed for long trips given the slow/safe highway progress of these cars, this can be a clincher. As also in Indian cities with long humid summers.
Old 5th September 2016, 18:06   #284
BANNED

In Bangalore with its overall great weather one can live with an Non AC Gypsy. Excepting of course for the pollution.
And yes, one of the things that are most attractive about the Gypsy is its near silent petrol engine which as you say makes it perfect for nature reserves etc. Nowadays with the price between petrol and diesel narrowing day by day coupled with overall low running, one can happily buy a petrol SUV even though it might gulp rather than sip.
Old 5th September 2016, 18:33   #285
Senior - BHPian

I recently did an extended drive when it returned 13/14 km to a litre of petrol - not frugal, but not too bad.

But in the city, one realises how much the noise pollution there is as well these days, in a Gypsy. Horns can sound startlingly close and loud. On the other hand, drive in the hills or on country roads, and one can smell nature in all its variety - cow pats included! - instead of the same packaged AC smell one gets in the cities as well, and therefore a nice change. Of course, the Thar has this as an option as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks