Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 06:46   #316
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Do people that install snorkels ever use them in anger? Considering that once the car is used in that depth of water where an air intake snorkel is useful, a complete wheel strip down, cleaning and inspection/lubrication is mandatory.
Absolutely. Even after a bout of mud roading and slush sliding, a complete clean up and lube job is mandatory. No one ever realises this and this is why, with the exception of a few solid off road people's cars, most of the vehicle which have been abused off the roads are in poor shape.
It is all very fine to go off roading, but equally one owes it to one's vehicle to look after it properly afterwards...
It takes a lot of time and energy and expense, to maintain a vehicle that is used extensively for off road work...I used to spend quite a lot on the upkeep of my old Gypsy's when I had them - especially in Madras where there is a lot of salt ingress if one went to the beach in it and in Bangalore where there would be a great deal of slush and muck trapped within the wheels and brakes areas after a bout of soft slush and swamp driving...

its a bit like maintaining a rifle or gun, well, oiling it and lubricating the barrel after use, because cordite and gunpowder do corrode the barrels. Same with air rifles and pellet guns, where the lead pellet residue corrodes the barrels. A good oiling is necessary from time to time, using a cotton lanyard or wick...

I have never used a snorkel nor driven a vehicle equipped with one, though I have done some amount of light wading through streams etc in the Nilgiris in the old MM540 and MM550DP's when my Dad was on the Tea Estates.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th September 2016 at 06:48.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 07:20   #317
Senior - BHPian

Where the rifle analogy breaks down is how laborious the job of stripping down the running gear of a 4WD is. Not so easy to follow the infantryman culture of not going to sleep without first attending to the weapon.

I now use the car on poor roads only when I want to get to the other side for a reason beyond just turning around and come back home on equally poor ones!
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 07:30   #318
BANNED

Quote:
Where the rifle analogy breaks down is how laborious the job of stripping down the running gear of a 4WD is. Not so easy to follow the infantryman culture of not going to sleep without first attending to the weapon.

I now use the car on poor roads only when I want to get to the other side for a reason beyond just turning around and come back home on equally poor ones!
Look after your gun and it'll look after you. The old Western Cowboy dictum.
Saying that, you appear to be a mature off roader - using the vehicle off road when required, not just for the heck of it. I believe in this philosophy too, now I too would go off road only on "need basis" not otherwise.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:31   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ask them if they'll give me one - second hand... and can you put up a pic or two?
Sure will tell them next time I meet them. I dont have any photos of my own but here is a news article and a video.

The Chennai Police Facebook Page also has some photos here.
sjcherian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 18:46   #320
BANNED

Saw this one again. It is getting prepped for competition off road I believe..My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1474031786.157179.jpg
Old 19th September 2016, 16:44   #321
Senior - BHPian

What would be a 'safe' battery upgrade for a Gypsy King mpfi?
Old 19th September 2016, 17:24   #322
Senior - BHPian

Why upgrade? I bought my car new in 2009, and the OE Exide is still healthy. The car starts as when new even today. Except for rarely used Hella lights, I run only OE electrics though.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:29   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why upgrade? I bought my car new in 2009, and the OE Exide is still healthy. The car starts as when new even today. Except for rarely used Hella lights, I run only OE electrics though.
Say I intend on running aux lights, a basic music system and if needed, an auxiliary fan. Will that still run ok on stock battery spec? I was looking at a one step upgrade.
Old 19th September 2016, 17:32   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Say I intend on running aux lights, a basic music system and if needed, an auxiliary fan. Will that still run ok on stock battery spec? I was looking at a one step upgrade.
Yes, It will run on stock setup. I have ran 2 Hellas, had the Aux Fan due to the AC which i used to use separately as well without the AC running and an Amp with Bass Tube.

Cheers,
Raj...
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:23   #325
Senior - BHPian

You do know that the car comes with an OE fan?
Old 19th September 2016, 18:57   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do know that the car comes with an OE fan?
From what I've read, heard and understood, the stock radiator setup is good as long as the rest of the system stays stock.
Any modification, like the addition of PS or AC, will require a radiator upsize, or an additional fan etc.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

I have no idea, I stayed away from any major mods of any kind. But my guess: Yes, although not for PS.

But there is an OE fan in the car, that looks and works exactly like an AC without the AC.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:17   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea, I stayed away from any major mods of any kind. But my guess: Yes, although not for PS.

But there is an OE fan in the car, that looks and works exactly like an AC without the AC.
You are talking about the blower, and I'm referring to an additional fan for the radiator!
Old 19th September 2016, 19:35   #329
Senior - BHPian

The radiator already has a mechanical fan. This is driven based on the engine temp. If you install an AC, the condenser gets fitted ahead of the radiator thereby blocking the air and hence another electrical fan gets installed on the condenser. This is also driven depending on the AC temp. Now whenever the AC is not on and you are moving in traffic, there is no air to be sucked in hence the electrical fan can be connected to a switch and be turned on during these times as the engine temp goes up.

Just a caution, make sure that this fan is connected to the ignition and not directly to the battery as i had accidentally kept the switch on once which drained the battery. As a precaution, i used to keep this fan switched on always, even without the AC while driving.

There are multiple threads on AC installation and overheating in the Gypsy. Please refer to those for more info.

Cheers,
Raj...
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 10:09   #330
Senior - BHPian

What's the right way to mount a boomerang shackle?

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-picsart_092110.02.49.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-boomerangshackleorientation.jpg
(Pic from jeepforum.com)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks