Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 21:03   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Sadly enough, I will not be able to use the OE spare wheel cover, which I love, since it does not fit on a 215.
Never say can't, not when you live in the country renowned for 'Jugaad'!
Take it to any half decent cushion works fellow and a li'l cutting & stitching later the lion should be back perched over the spare wheel.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 13th October 2016 at 21:08.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 07:06   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

I threw away the cover - since the car is always parked in shade at home, it doesn't serve any purpose and I think the car looks better without it.
Old 15th October 2016, 10:54   #393
BANNED

[quote=Aroy;4073043]Gypsy is not the ideal vehicle for comfortable highway journeys. The closest that you can get to a Gypsy is the Thar which comes with AC and PS and has much better Highway Ride./QUOTE]

For some reason, I could never get as excited about the Thar as the Gypsy. Also, the Gypsy is a relatively simpler vehicle, something that appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I have obtained 14 km to the litre on highway drives,
Do you concur that the Gypsy is not a comfortable vehicle for the highways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Gypsy is not at all the ideal vehicle for highway hauls from any aspect. I can vouch for this, having driven one from Pune to Bangalore. I thought you already had a Pajero Sport for mile-munching, eh?
Hmmm...this kinda of dampens it for me then.

I "had" a Pajero Sport, not any more. :(
Old 15th October 2016, 14:07   #394
Senior - BHPian

By today's standards, it is not at all comfortable for highways - unless the surface is good and the weather gods are kind. Who ever said otherwise?
Old 15th October 2016, 17:49   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
For some reason, I could never get as excited about the Thar as the Gypsy. Also, the Gypsy is a relatively simpler vehicle, something that appeals to me
Agreed! No offence to Thar owners - this is a very individual thing. After having driven a Classic for 8 years, no other Jeep comes even close. But, that said, if you intend to buy a lifestyle vehicle, 4x4, swb, open top, and (most important), a mile-muncher then look no further than the Thar. Gypsy will simply not cut it as a highway car. It can be your second or third car at best, more so if you are a family guy. I use it as my daily drive but when it comes to those market hauls, it is my good old Alto that cones to the rescue.
Old 15th October 2016, 18:25   #396
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

When I had the choice of 'One car/ jeep' in the 90's and again in the early 2000's I chose a Gypsy.
I did take it on highway drives and all over the place.
It is really not ideal for the highway if you're looking for comfort but it always brings out a sense of 'adventure' and it certainly brings out the innate dormant 'Gypsy' in me for sure.

Our points of reference have changed over the years as have our needs for comfort and of course, our financial ability. Thats why most of us have graduated to more comfortable SUV's because some of us (me included) really cannot leave the "innate Gypsy inside of one", behind.

Saying that, even though the Yeti is there and it comes with squillions of nice things in it, there is still nothing quite like the Gypsy, as a bare bones, spartan, utilitarian vehicle with zero frills. The only reason I would want one now, is to go back to the early days and enjoy those cues while the health and physique still permit such an indulgence. I just love those vehicles and it is a complete "heart" thing and NOT a "head" thing in my case.

Hence unless you want an 'enthusiast' vehicle as a second or third car, dont go for a Gypsy.

If you go in and buy one with your eyes wide open, then know and be sure of what you're getting into!

The Gypsy is a brilliant vehicle in many ways but please be alive to its shortcomings as well! Im buying one soon just to relive my lost youth but this is being entered into with MY eyes Wide Open.

I hope to enjoy drinking at this particular "fountain of youth" for the next few years...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th October 2016 at 18:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 06:44   #397
BANNED

So do tell, which is the right tyre size if one changes the Gypsy tyres?
Is it 215/65/15 or 205/65/15. Clearly the general preference here seems to be Yokohama Geolandar AT/S which is fine, but what size exactly?
Old 18th October 2016, 07:25   #398
Senior - BHPian

Having used both, my vote is easily for the 215 - also I think it is a 70% profile so larger than the 205/65 on both counts.
Pros:
1. A little softer ride
2. Better highway performance because of lower engine rpm at the same road speed.
3. A little better off road
4. Can be mounted on the stock rims
5. Needs no body cutting - it is the largest size that can be used like this
6. Better looks
Cons
1. Spare wheel mounting leaves an indentation; I have no idea what this will do to the tyre, my stepney has remained unused for 5 years since I bought the tyres. I do not rotate it in for wanting to not have the other four tyres suffer this possible issue. Couple of punctures fixed without needing to remove the tyre.
2. OE wheel cover won't fit
3. Extra effort to steer while parking - barely noticeable. But the bigger issue may be the increase in the already lousy turning circle. I haven't measured that though.

Bottom line: my vote for the 215 Yoko, a no brainer IMO.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:34   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So do tell, which is the right tyre size if one changes the Gypsy tyres?
Is it 215/65/15 or 205/65/15. Clearly the general preference here seems to be Yokohama Geolandar AT/S which is fine, but what size exactly?
Keep in mind that it is 215/75/15 we are talking about.
My vote is also for this size. I had BF Goodrich on mine and it was an amazing tyre.

Last edited by starter : 18th October 2016 at 09:35.
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 11:30   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having used both, my vote is easily for the 215
Sawyer - what prompted you to switch from 205s to 215s? I am sure the former would not have worn out enough within that time frame to warrant a change.

On my feel of the 215s - amazing is all I can say! I drove the Gypsy for about 10-15 km on the stock tyres (MRF Estate tubed) before switching over to Yoko Geo 215 and there is a world of difference b/w the two. The ride is (relatively) much more comfortable and road noise is minimal. I did not feel much diff in the steering effort while parking - maybe since I did not use the stock ones for more than a few days. Net-net, it was a good decision to go for the Yokos, worth every penny I'd say.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 12:19   #401
Senior - BHPian

I changed because I got a very good deal from the dealer to exchange the 205 for the 215; he probably had a customer already. Ended up as a win win.
Old 18th October 2016, 12:47   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Keep in mind that it is 215/75/15 we are talking about.
My vote is also for this size. I had BF Goodrich on mine and it was an amazing tyre.
I too agree, this is the perfect upgrade for a stock gypsy. Will offer good ride as well as wont compromise too much on power front. Choices are Yoko, Conti, BF Goodrich and if you want to do good offroading go for Maxxis Trepadors.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 13:33   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I changed because I got a very good deal from the dealer to exchange the 205 for the 215; he probably had a customer already. Ended up as a win win.
Yeah, but you were probably already looking out for a change, right? The dealer would not have accosted you in the middle of the road and asked you to change Wanted to know the reason.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:47   #404
Senior - BHPian

Because having used the car for a year with the 205, the pros of 215 were of interest. But I would not have changed even so if the resale of the 205 would have been for silly prices, capisce?
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 21:55   #405
BANNED

Guys

Thanks for all the inputs.
So is it that 205/65/15 is not recommended and is it that 215/65/15 is not available at all or generally not recommended?

I am concerned about what I just read about the 'indentation' on the rear spare tyre when mounted, in the case of the 215/75/15.

Last edited by bblost : 18th October 2016 at 22:24. Reason: Typo.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks