Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 12:43   #61
BHPian

Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Now, the KMT90 on my Jeep is busted and I have been suggested to find a replacement. Nirankar ji suggested that I a sell the one I have and get a better condition one from Mayapuri.
Hmmmm, this sounds familiar, happened with me as well, all gears were worn out, and I was suggested the same, I ended up buying a gear box which was totally overhauled, but that cost me around 19K but then this is Pune and not much options available here, I am sure you should be able to get something cheaper.
But be careful, you might get a gearbox for around 8-10K as well, but reliability also needs to be seen, else you might end up spending the money on something which might only last for a few months.
Also, one option would be to check on repairing the existing GB with new parts, and work out the maths there. I feel even if a bit expensive at least I am sure that I have new stuff which I can rely on.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:56   #62
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Else for the KMT90 i guess you shouldn't pay more than 8-10k max if you get a piece in excellent condition. And as per mayapuri tradition, dont expect a very decent amount for your old gearbox.
I would love to keep it original and hope I can find a good piece in that that much money. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Also, one option would be to check on repairing the existing GB with new parts, and work out the maths there. I feel even if a bit expensive at least I am sure that I have new stuff which I can rely on.
You are right. But fortunately, this maths was done for me by Nirankar ji who said there is no point fixing this because everything needs changing even housing. So the price may come down to same or even more. I am going to get a new-to-me KMT90 and see how that works out.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

I guess I spoke too soon!

Ok no point in comparing the labor rares/spares prices I am used to Vs your list here. Lets fix the GB. I dont know who Nirankar-Ji is but any competent mechanic can pin-point whats bust in a KMT90. You did drive the Jeep into the garage right, so its driveable, but sick - OK. Whats sick? Give a break up of parts needed and lets take it from there.

Stop replacing assemblies at a whole, before you know a lac would be gone and you wouldnt have even opened the engine and tyres and body/paint would be a distant dream!! Slow down a bit!

PS - read Trojan's ^ post abt buying another GB - it is 100% true!!

edit

saw you ^ post

Ask why should the GB housing should be changed? Is the slot for bearings worn out, become slightly bigger? Is the oil seal hole become bigger?

Realize one thing sooner than later - there is no way you are going to bring a 20 year jeep to assembly line spec. You can only make it driveable, well hypothetically you can bring it to OE spec, but spend few lacs on new engine and new GB Tcase, etc etc. Draw a line, set a realistic target.

Last edited by svsantosh : 19th October 2012 at 14:03.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 14:48   #64
BHPian

Totally agree with svsantosh, housing change? I could not understand that part, because due to wear and tear gears may get worn but housing damage needs to be investigated as KMT is built like a tank.
Also, you did not mention that you faced any kind of issues while driving, my gear used to get stuck on 4th while down shifting and would budge only after 10-15mins of coaxing.
So, though the gears were worn out, the housing was intact with a lot of muck inside.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Totally agree with svsantosh, housing change? I could not understand that part, because due to wear and tear gears may get worn but housing damage needs to be investigated as KMT is built like a tank.
Also, you did not mention that you faced any kind of issues while driving, my gear used to get stuck on 4th while down shifting and would budge only after 10-15mins of coaxing.
So, though the gears were worn out, the housing was intact with a lot of muck inside.
So the 1 and the 3 gears were very hard to "find" and by that I mean, while driving I couldn't change easily. I will go there tomorrow and check what he has to say but just for the record, Nirankar is the guy who is recommended by the likes of some very big Mahindra guns when it comes to repairing their Jeeps. No names needs mentioning. But I really appreciate and understand your point. It is really my own fault for not knowings what's what of what's what but as per our last conversation, the gears were worn out and the housing had some damage. I will check that tomorrow. Otherwise, here's a new estimate :
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-estimate.jpg  

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 19th October 2012 at 15:06.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Eh, whats this now? Whole diff interior quote? What happened here? Get in touch with some NIOC guys naa, their jeeps do extreme OTRs and I am sure they have reliable roadside mechanics who can 'repair' a jeep, not 'assemble' new parts and screw the hell out of the owners wallet!
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 18:20   #67
BHPian

Its seems like a Whole new Jeep Build, Best of Luck .

BTW I really like the name "MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !'.
Old 20th October 2012, 19:04   #68

After a sleepless friday, I went to the garage today. Nirankar ji showed me the reasons why KMT90 is to be changed. With twitching eyes, I could see that the entire housing was cracked and the gears are missing teeth just like my grandma. If we were to repair it the cost would with more than what we are to pay for another KMT90. So option one was to get the same one repaired and option two was to get another KMT90 (verified by their mech) and sell the one I have.

I chose option two and was getting ready to ferry the mech and the GB to and fro from Mayapuri and spend another sleepless day driving through the oh-so-enjoyable Delhi traffic. But then like a miracle, with help of Nirankar ji, I found out that a certain member of Tbhp and NIOC was selling his KMT90. Assurances were floated that the parts are genuine and mechanic themselves were satisfied so I bought it. Yessir, I am now the owner of two KMT90's.

PS. Anyone looking to gift a KMT90 to their spouse on Karvachauth? I will give you a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Eh, whats this now? Whole diff interior quote? What happened here? Get in touch with some NIOC guys naa, their jeeps do extreme OTRs and I am sure they have reliable roadside mechanics who can 'repair' a jeep, not 'assemble' new parts and screw the hell out of the owners wallet!
I did. And they said do what classic auto tells you to do. They were utterly satisfied with their service and insisted not to stray away to Mayapuri guys because I would eventually end up here. I may be paying a premium but I want this as my daily driver so mental peace is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Its seems like a Whole new Jeep Build, Best of Luck . BTW I really like the name "MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !'.
Thanks. I wasn't expecting it to be a whole new jeep build but the gods really want the monkey to do what he saw

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2012 at 02:18. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 22:38   #69
BHPian

Whats the condition of the Engine & Gearbox ?! I think the gods already Saw the Bubble in the radiator and the Sound of honey bee .
Old 21st October 2012, 02:18   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I did. And they said do what classic auto tells you to do.
Chandrajeet as Santosh has suggested draw line and make realistic targets. While Classic is excellent for all Jeep works he is also expensive. There some things worth getting done from him while some can be done by the road side mechanics to satisfaction. Break down the work into what to get done from Classic and what from outside.

Like classic gave an estimate of 5k for my non functional wipers requiring motor change etc etc. I got the whole assembly opened washed in petrol greased up by my road side electrician and it worked like a charm. Still does after 4 years. Cost - 300 bucks!

Works I got done from road side mechanics

1. Suspension overhaul.
2. Brakes overhaul including turning the disc and drums on lath.
3. Canopy.
4. Differentials

Above are common / similar to loads of Mahindra commercial vehicle doing duty in Delhi. Road side mechanic are fairly acquainted with these.

Slow down bro. You will need to a lot of moolah to modify the jeep ones it is done.

cheers
vishwas
Old 21st October 2012, 08:00   #71

Thanks for the insight Vishwas. Can you please suggest some mechanics whom you trust?
Old 21st October 2012, 13:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

hmm, when you saw this jeep before purchase wasnt the missing gear tooth felt on TD's? never mind - this situation does call for a new/used gb.

did you check for back-compression of the engine? puffs of smoke from oil filler cap, do keep me posted on that too please.
Old 21st October 2012, 14:57   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
did you check for back-compression of the engine? puffs of smoke from oil filler cap, do keep me posted on that too please.
Some smoke will always be there in used engines, I guess. In addition to that, check if oil is spurting from the dipstick?
Old 21st October 2012, 18:59   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Some smoke will always be there in used engines, I guess. In addition to that, check if oil is spurting from the dipstick?
OK. I did check with them if engine was doing OK and to that they said they haven't checked it but it "seemed to be doing OK". They were to do some mumbo-jumbo test on it today was were to get back to me tomorrow with the results.

I know you guys are thinking that I am spending too much on it and I may be sounding like a housewife but trust me, juggling between a baby sitting for the entire day and then working the whole night I do not leave me with any time and will to pursue after a mechanic.

Plus you guys down south are spoilt for choices. There I said it.
Old 21st October 2012, 23:54   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Vishwas. Can you please suggest some mechanics whom you trust?
Where do you put up in Delhi. There is Mogli who does jobs on Romi's jeep and also accompanies us to OTRs for a quick fix. Very hands on mechanic and knows what we put through jeeps in OTR's.

Btw Romi owns a 7-8 jeeps, was the one who recommended Classic to me but he also gets some jobs done from Mogli. I dont have Mogli's contact though. Join Northern India Offroad Club on FB. Romi's very active there.

I get my odd jobs done in the shahdra / Dilshad garden area where all the Fat Fat seva guys come to get there mahindras done. Dirt cheap rates. Servicing still from Classic.

cheers
Vishwas

Most Viewed