Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 21:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gautam (G Amby Mad) - you are very lucky, you have picked up my dream. This is a true blue CJ3BLHD, the Jeep that I always loved and always wanted. The bodyline is fantastic, just see the first picture. The conversion, especially the brake booster etc is all worthless junk which must be thrown away. Best of luck with a good restoration. DKG and Fazal are in Hyderabad only, please go and meet them for guidance. I shall also guide you in totality. Hyderabad is one of the best places in India to restore a Jeep.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I just felt like Sachin Tendulkar told me that he liked my bat!

Thank you Behram Sir. Needless to say I have come across so many of your inputs across the forum, am so glad I decided to be stubborn and follow my gut about the jeep. Believe you me, you have mentioned looking at the bodyline, even in the shape that it was in, the 3/4 view caught my eye and that was what made me look at the jeep with interest. I know nothing about design or the technicalities involved in a jeep but it looked like such a handsome devil I knew I had to have it.

It will take me a few months to begin work on a rebuild and in the meantime I plan to acquaint myself better with this door-less wonder. I have followed both Fazal and DKG's experiences with great interest and have reached out to both of them, who very kindly responded and am sure it's only a matter of time before I meet with them in person.

You know I will be picking your brain when I need to. Once again, thanks for those very kind words. You've just made me want the jeep even more
Old 24th August 2012, 22:05   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gautam - thank you for your gracious comments, it is my pleasure to help you. I can assure you that no other vehicle can match the pure bliss of driving a true blue open top CJ3B with the winsdshield glass folded down over the bonnet. First and foremost, I request you to retain the "appearance authenticity" of the Jeep. You may want and you can make a modern vehicle, nothing wrong in that but its timeless looks should not be changed. I am saying so, looking at the external mirrors of your black Ambassador. Those mirrors do not do justice to the car, please do not do such things here.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 22:33   #18
BHPian

Ah Behram sa'ab, I might be guilty of a subtle indiscretion or two already. Nothing major, the Jeep still looks the same. I will upload some pics in a couple of days. I guess when one is not a serious collector/restorer but just a lover of all things automobile, personal touches get added on the way. People in my line of work cover all manner of sins by using the term 'creative licence'!

Anyway am sure whatever small changes there are will not offend any jeeper sensibilities! Please ignore the mirrors on the Amby, they are about 12 years old and battered senseless but they have a sentimental value which is why they are still on
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:28   #19
BHPian

Incessant rains in Hyderabad, a procrastinating painter and a typical Hyderabadi 'ho jayega boss' mechanic means that the jeep isn't ready yet

Have been promised that I will get it, come hell or high water, 10 days from now. Crossing my fingers.
Old 15th September 2012, 14:25   #20
BHPian

D-Day's come and gone and the jeep's still not totally ready yet.

Glad to say however, that it's close and I should have it in 3-4 days time. In the meanwhile I thought I would share some pics on how the jeep looks right now.

Pending jobs :

Touchups
Some electricals, wiper
New Tyres (Yokohama ATs)
Meters need to be changed, which will happen in Round 2

Have been promised delivery on Tuesday and have crossed my fingers. Till then, here's 6510. Sorry for the image quality, have been using my phone for now.

Right now, my fav. pic
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-1.jpg

Some front shots
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-2.jpg
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-3.jpg
[Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-4.jpg

The bikini!

Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-5.jpg
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-6.jpg
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-7.jpg
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-8.jpg

Topless and bringing up the rear...
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-9.jpg
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-10.jpg
G_AmbyMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 16:30   #21
BHPian

any plan to convert it to 4WD ?

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 15th September 2012 at 16:32.
Old 15th September 2012, 17:49   #22
BHPian

Yes Sreejesh.

All that happens in Round 2.

As I mentioned earlier on the thread what I've done so far is make it somewhat presentable and roadworthy. Also, have never driven a Jeep before, I want to get used to it. Maybe in a couple of months and after meeting some of the Hyd gurus who can advise me on what to do next and where to do it, round 2 shall begin.
G_AmbyMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 21:54   #23
BHPian

From the point of view of a Jeep lover( with absolutely no offense meant and also agreeing that 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder'), let me say that there are certain sour points visible from the pictures, which DOES not go with the spirit of the 3B
1.The steering
2.Gypsy rims and 15' tyres
3.Tailgate
4.Seats

When you had the never to be missed offer of Behram Sir to guide you in the restoration you ought to have availed it.( Please don't take it as criticism of any sort, but only that I expected to see the Jeep turn out better after restoration)

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 15th September 2012 at 21:57.
Old 15th September 2012, 22:03   #24
BHPian

Hallo Hallo,

No offence taken. No one seems to be taking note of the point that this isn't the restoration! This effort is to make the jeep roadworthy and presentable so that I can drive it around and get used to it!

Restoration is Round 2 and that happens in a few months from now. Right now have another project popping up that will divert the Vitamin M and that besides I have to first get the hang of driving it around.

Yes, steering, meters, seats, tailgate etc will all go in Round 2 and will be original. Not sure about the wheels though. For some reason I just didn't like the look of the ndms, maybe it will be alloys with ATs.

And it says WILLYS .. blame my cam fone for making it look like an X
Old 16th September 2012, 20:47   #25
BHPian

Sorry for being a blockhead. Please post the detailed pics of your future restoration.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
Incessant rains in Hyderabad, a procrastinating painter and a typical Hyderabadi 'ho jayega boss' mechanic means that the jeep isn't ready yet

Have been promised that I will get it, come hell or high water, 10 days from now. Crossing my fingers.
Welcome to the world of jeepers! My own jeep an MM540 is being rebuilt at the same place and it has still a couple of weeks work left!
I have seen your jeep there but didnt have the pleasure of meeting you ! Maybe next time we will bump into each other.
Old 16th September 2012, 21:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
Welcome to the world of jeepers! My own jeep an MM540 is being rebuilt at the same place and it has still a couple of weeks work left!
I have seen your jeep there but didnt have the pleasure of meeting you ! Maybe next time we will bump into each other.
Hi Acclero, I think I saw your 540 too. Has a snorkel and is blue? I think they were doing something to the roll bars? We should catch up once both our rides are ready!
Old 17th September 2012, 13:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gautam,

I am glad I bumped into this thread, though a bit late.

Like most seniors here have, let me too join in congratulating you on the ownership of this SWB. Surely, you will evolve into an off roader since you now have the equipment.

It is a very nice Jeep you now own and the unparalleled prowess of a SWB can only be experienced when driven off roads, to know what it is capable of. I don't drive my Lynx, I walk it, on obstacles, sheer pleasure.

There are two ways of going about it, make it stock or a Hybrid. Since the base vehicle is far from stock you will need to spend and spend, I suggest make it into the later and enjoy it for years to come. When you have enough "Vitamin M" saved for this project and before changing the front diff to a live axle and 4X4, please feel free to contact me.

Please don't mind these pics on your thread, I did these two 3B's back to back and it was challenging making one a 100% stock and the other a 0%,(as per my requirements).

Btw your Mark I is beautiful!

Regards,
Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-3b.jpg

Coming back to life - an apt song for a junked 1965 Willys-lynx.jpg
Old 17th September 2012, 14:24   #29
BHPian

Thanks Fazalbhai.

I have lost count the number of times I have gone through your Lynx thread. Am sure the offroading bug will bite me bigtime and I know when it does I would like my jeep to be just like yours, not only in the looks department but also performance-wise.

Unfortunately, I have zero mechanical knowledge, am just happy if things are working the way they should and going through your thread makes it even more obvious! I would love to learn though and yes, rest assured I will definitely be getting in touch and am very much looking forward to that.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:37   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gautam - with Fazal guiding you, everything shall be achieved. Remember to spend money only and exactly where required. Please post some engine compartment pictures with photographs taken from various sides. The radiator seems to be positioned too low, it may lead to cavitation problem.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks