Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 01:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Clinic - Coimbatore

A nice article in The Hindu about three engineers from Coimbatore, TN who have a passion and liking for old jeeps and do restore them to glory. I am not sure if they do a restore them to original condition or renovation with new parts. But on the whole a nice work. I guess, our coimbatore BHPians know them(could be also possible that, they are already on TBHP- if so please raise your hands.) you guys surely deserve a .
Quote:
Three friends buy old jeeps and restore them into hi-tech, road worthy vehicles. K. Jeshi visits them at their Jeep Clinic where they carry out the transformation

It was nothing more than junk when they bought the Willys GPA, a jeep manufactured in 1941 during the Second World War. Three engineers from Coimbatore bid for it at a Defence Yard auction and towed it all the way to Coimbatore. Here, they lovingly restored it, and today it stands pretty at their recently inaugurated Jeep Clinic. A. Gopal, K. Naveen and R. Muthu Kumar have converted their love for jeeps into a business opportunity. They refer to their clinic as a high-tech private hospital for jeeps! It is here that old jeeps are given new life. “Other than the chassis and the engine, we replace almost everything else - the nuts, screws and bolts - and rebuild the body. The vehicle is ripped open, and re-modelled from scratch,” says Gopal.
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-sty...?homepage=true
AlphaKilo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 19:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep Clinic - Coimbatore

Absolutely wonderful! After reading this article and going through their website, my first reaction this is the best gift for a middle aged explorer. I spoke with Muthu of Jeepclinic and apparently, they have a backlog of deliveries. With his permission I am sharing, he expects a ball park range of Rs.4-5 lakhs for Thar CRDE modifications as detailed in their site. The job could take around 2 months once you handover the vehicle. What do the experts around here say?
Old 21st September 2012, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

My $0.02 - if they are restoring Jeeps to their original glory, that would be wonderful. But if they are replacing everything with THAR CRDe components et al - hmmm I will not be keen.

PS: This is my personal opinion only and not to berate the work done by these folks.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Shubz sir +1 to you opinion.

But what I understand from the report is, they restore the "Willys" and Thar's are customised according to user requirements. In either way, nice place to look for spares, sort one stop shop.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Shubz sir +1 to you opinion.

But what I understand from the report is, they restore the "Willys" and Thar's are customised according to user requirements. In either way, nice place to look for spares, sort one stop shop.
Yeah I agree with that. If spares are something they can deal with, a lot of us would have lot of piece of mind.

do they have an official website or something?
Old 21st September 2012, 22:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
do they have an official website or something?
http://jeepclinic.com/

There you go! A good initiative and seems to be guys who are really interested in jeeps.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://jeepclinic.com/

There you go! A good initiative and seems to be guys who are really interested in jeeps.
Thanks for the link! I see nice body works being done/displayed. but I still feel it is all about modification than restoration.

Example:
Mahindra MM 550 XD has a re-circulating ball type steering with a turning circle radius of 6.34 m.
The vehicle has a disc brake at front and a drum brake at the rear. Now someone could tell me if MM550 comes with a disc brake at the front?
Old 21st September 2012, 22:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thanks for the link! I see nice body works being done/displayed. but I still feel it is all about modification than restoration.

Example:
Mahindra MM 550 XD has a re-circulating ball type steering with a turning circle radius of 6.34 m.
The vehicle has a disc brake at front and a drum brake at the rear. Now someone could tell me if MM550 comes with a disc brake at the front?
As you rightly saw, it does look like more of body work modification and some fancy stuff. Well, I am sure, if our Cbe members can talk to them and find out if they do technical modifications, restoring to original conditions - will be an asset to some members who need assistance.

I believe disks at front are standard on MM550 DP(NGCS) models. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I believe disks at front are standard on MM550 DP(NGCS) models.
MM550 has front disc brakes, since pre-NGCS models. Correct.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:51   #10
BHPian

I am located in Coimbatore and if anybody needs information on these Jeep Clinic guys I could pay them a visit and make inquiries. From what I know about them [grapevine news] is that they are more into modifications/alterations than into actual restoration of older vehicles. Feel free to contact me if you need me to find out about them.
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 06:27   #11
BHPian

Dear All,
My friends have had first hand Experience in dealing with these Guys. Should you need any information please mail me on gejessop@gmail.com. I can also give you some contact nos of their customers who have done some modifications from them.
Regards
Geje
Geje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 15:19   #12
BHPian

Geje, it wouldn't be right to comment on somebody, who does not have a privilege to defend himself on this forum. It would be prejudice to condemn what has not been investigated. You are sending wrong signals.
Jerrycan
Jerrycan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycan View Post
Geje, it wouldn't be right to comment on somebody, who does not have a privilege to defend himself on this forum. It would be prejudice to condemn what has not been investigated. You are sending wrong signals.
Jerrycan
Sir,
Its unfair to say that he's openly accusing them here. Based on his experience he's only asking them to contact him through mail in case of any doubts they have. If someone has had a positive experience they are free to share it as well. Nothing to degrade the passion that people at Jeep clinic have for jeeps but just random information (positive/negative) that people are looking at the internet before committing themselves.
Old 23rd March 2013, 15:54   #14
BHPian

Sir,
I never said he was accusing somebody. If he has some thing to share, he should do so openly on this forum, not by sending private messages. That would benefit all the members of this community. He says his friends have first hand experience, and has sent my contact details to their customers.That was unwarranted.
Prabhu.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:29   #15
BHPian

Sir,
I am not accusing or berating Jeep Clinic without a genuine reason. I Only asked potential customers to contact before they put in their hard earned money to buy their Dream Jeep
I badly want to post the names and Contact nos of the very dissatisfied customers and those who felt cheated by Jeep Clinic on this thread. But this being a Public forum , I would not want to expose their contact details. How ever I can share their details on a need to Know basis thru PM and Email.
Best Regards
Jess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks