Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 15th March 2019, 11:54   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
But you wanted snow???
-Eric

Oh yes I want snow! And I get to vicariously experience all that through your updates.

I once lived in such a place for half a decade and even had a SUV to boot. But I found the chillness too numbing on my body's extremities (it's always the fingers, the toes, the nose, the lips and the ears that bore the brunt) - thus it came to be that I binge-watched Netflix and HBO Go in perfect whiteout conditions. Despicable me.
locusjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 06:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Okay guys, I was going through an old SD card and found pics from a trip last year that I forgot (or lacked time) to post then.

You want to be away from maddening crowds? Well, Manali may not be your place anymore. Even now in early March, a surprising number of tourists has turned up. They are working on a bypass for the town, maybe a new bridge or two and flyovers, and they say it'll be decided within a couple days whether the National Highway is going to be re-routed to just behind our once-sleepy village...

Safely extracted, we all breathed a big sigh of relief, and were not too sure we'd do it again. The pics hardly do it justice... it was S-C-A-R-Y...!

Will add the balance of the photos in a second post, as some glitch or the other is preventing my adding more here...

Thanks for your interest,

And do enjoy,

-Eric
Thank you Eric for sharing the pictures. This is just what I'd like to do on my next trip.

I was in the Palampur area couple of months ago & did a interesting/challenging drive that I will post about in the 4X4 Adventure section shortly.

Himachal probably has a lot of such hidden gems and it will be interesting to chronicle at least a few of these.

The only dilemma that one might face is whether making these details public will be in the long term interest. The rate at which new highways are being planned to connect the hitherto far flung areas (as mentioned by rdst_1) will result in a scenario soon enough that there will not be any place that remains "unexplored" and that is almost certainly an inevitability..
Vikram Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 09:57   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Himachal probably has a lot of such hidden gems and it will be interesting to chronicle at least a few of these.

The only dilemma that one might face is whether making these details public will be in the long term interest. The rate at which new highways are being planned to connect the hitherto far flung areas (as mentioned by rdst_1) will result in a scenario soon enough that there will not be any place that remains "unexplored" and that is almost certainly an inevitability..
At the moment the SC has banned ALL tree-felling in H.P. for any reason - including road improvements, etc. I suppose the ban will end too soon, people will demand their highways, railways, tunnels, whatever. They say it will be possible in the future to arrive at Manali from Delhi in something like five hours. Whereas if you want to protect a place, the best thing is to keep it inaccessible as possible.

I always struggle with that when it comes to the question of sharing such things here in the forum. I think at this point I tend to keep the "inevitability" in mind. With GPS / Google Earth satellite images, I'm finding out-of-state vehicles out exploring surprisingly remote places pretty frequently now. I figure that Team-bhpians are a bit more conscientious and socially-aware than the average tourist looking for his next party/drinking spot, and thus am a little more comfortable putting things up here... that said, still (after four years) haven't posted the Mizoram travelogue for fear of this very thing: beautiful, untouched places getting destroyed by filthy hordes of low-grade tourists. The whole Himalayan region is so beautiful, and so sensitive... best thing we can do is encourage the right sorts of visitors, the right sorts of right-minded operators. Keep trash bags in our cars, be absolutely intolerant of litter, even from our own passengers, encourage and practice and share safe driving practices, etc. And for God's sake, if anyone really feels the need to blast trance music, please don't allow them to do it at Chandra-Tal... or any other of the few places in India you can still find purity / serenity / silence.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 16:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay guys, I was going through an old SD card and found pics from a trip last year that I forgot (or lacked time) to post then.

Thanks for your interest,

And do enjoy,

-Eric
Rajgunda is the place that is beyond Barot. You travelled through Billing, that means its possible to do a full circle on that circuit?

Thanks.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 22:04   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Rajgunda is the place that is beyond Barot. You travelled through Billing, that means its possible to do a full circle on that circuit?

Thanks.
I wouldn't know for sure, but I think there is still some walking involved to get to Rajgundha from both sides, whether you are coming from Barot via Bara Gram or through Billing. It's definitely doable as a trek and many people do that every year crossing over to Barot from Billing. Eric would be better placed to give the answer though.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 12:27   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I wouldn't know for sure, but I think there is still some walking involved to get to Rajgundha from both sides, whether you are coming from Barot via Bara Gram or through Billing. It's definitely doable as a trek and many people do that every year crossing over to Barot from Billing. Eric would be better placed to give the answer though.
Though I don't have the most latest answer. This is what the road looked like back in mid-2017 on the Bada Gram/Barot side. It wasn't possible to move beyond this point on 4-wheels.

Photo from here: https://goo.gl/maps/gQGQFWe551P2

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-barot.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote