Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:27   #271
BHPian

Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
I am installing dual a/c s both for front and ceiling.
Will keep sharing pics soon. Thanks again for your enthusiasm.
Hi Dieselhead,

Congratulations on your amazing build.

Have you thought on using Bolero dashboard on your Marshal. It is easily to procure from vehicle scrap market.

regards,
MB4DI
MB4DI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB4DI View Post
Hi Eric,

Which makes me believe that, the rear slider windows on Bolero DI LWB could also be replaced by the fixed quarter window glass from the regular SWB Bolero ?

regards,
MB4DI
No. In the LWB Bolero, the slider window (set of 2 glasses) and the frame is much longer than the ones that came on the regular Bolero owing to its longer wheel base. Well, the Armada, Marshal (both non NGCS), and the Commander derived hardtops came with fixed glasses.
Obviously, if you can patch up some of that extra glass area with sheet metal, you can. Hope this helps.
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:42   #273
BHPian

Have you thought on using Bolero dashboard on your Marshal. It is easily to procure from vehicle scrap market.

regards,
MB4DI[/quote]
Thanks for your post. Yes I tried looking for a bolero dashboard complete with the HVAC unit. But by the time I could find a decent one, I had already modified mine for the existing one. It required changes for the bolero clutch and brake bracket, repostiong of the steering column(for sz plus engine).BTW the bolero dashboard would call for some mounting related changes.
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:54   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What Crown/Pinion ratio you are running on your vehicle ?
4.27:1. It'll do a GPS-measured 100kmph on flat ground (if you've got a couple kilometers to build up to it), but it's screaming and unpleasant at that rate. A fifth gear or 3.73's would be preferable. Up to about 75-80 it's pretty okay as-is.

Of course, I'm running a tractor 'silencer" so take that with a grain of salt !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
No. In the LWB Bolero, the slider window (set of 2 glasses) and the frame is much longer than the ones that came on the regular Bolero owing to its longer wheel base.
I'll measure next time I see a Bolero DI. The Bolero Plus has a noticeably longer rear section, but the DI's I've seen appear to gain their length by the distance between the axles, not the rear section. Thus their second-row door glass (and doors) is longer, and jnterchangeable with the Camper's. Interestingly, the old Utiliti crewcab (anyone remembwr those?) had the regular shorter rear doors of the Bolero/ Marshal / Commander. Which for its intended purpose actually seems to make sense.

-Eric
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:07   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
...On those lines, have got ours pretty well ready for it's "passing" on the 24th... Hoping and praying.
It wont pass the next 5 year FC.

It may get a 15 year new car RC Passing
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:35   #276
Senior - BHPian

2021 4x4 Bolero has factory PS...about 8.7 Lakh out the door. I have seen white plates on Campers very, very rarely. Here is one...

Old 25th April 2021, 19:38   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
2021 4x4 Bolero has factory PS...about 8.7 Lakh out the door. I have seen white plates on Campers very, very rarely. Here is one...
His other videos in the playlist shows yellow plate, same number. Not sure which one is right.

I thought they have stopped 4X4 Bolero long back, may have missed but is it still sold? for 8.7L on road? Made to order or any specific states only?
Old 25th April 2021, 20:03   #278
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Camper I typoed...Mahindra's site says they sell 4x4 Bolero Campers. I assume its the old dependable MDi3200tc motor with some BS-VI tweaking.

Car & Bike says it's available, too. Google it and you will know what I know. I am going to see if you can white-plate it here in H.P. via some legal gymnastics. Last time I knew H.P. RTO would not allow white plate.
Old 26th April 2021, 15:31   #279
BHPian

Quote:
4.27:1. It'll do a GPS-measured 100kmph on flat ground (if you've got a couple kilometers to build up to it), but it's screaming and unpleasant at that rate. A fifth gear or 3.73's would be preferable. Up to about 75-80 it's pretty okay as-is.
So, a Bolero with 3.73 ratio differential + NGT520 GB in 5th gear and 255/65/16 AT tyres, the combination would make good cruising @ 110kmph on highway with MDI3200TC touching 2500 RPM approx.

Quote:
I'll measure next time I see a Bolero DI. The Bolero Plus has a noticeably longer rear section, but the DI's I've seen appear to gain their length by the distance between the axles, not the rear section. Thus their second-row door glass (and doors) is longer, and jnterchangeable with the Camper's. Interestingly, the old Utiliti crewcab (anyone remembwr those?) had the regular shorter rear doors of the Bolero/ Marshal / Commander. Which for its intended purpose actually seems to make sense.

-Eric
LWB Bolero DI and SWB Bolero has exact same size of quarter rear glass dimensions, confirmed physically.

Quote:
Bolero Camper I typoed...Mahindra's site says they sell 4x4 Bolero Campers. I assume its the old dependable MDi3200tc motor with some BS-VI tweaking.
The BS6 version has got an Intercooler in addition with Turbocharger, different intake manifold as well.

regards,
MB4DI
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-bs6.jpg  

MB4DI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 13:34   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a fake white-plate. Friend here has also done it just because "he likes it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
His other videos in the playlist shows yellow plate, same number. Not sure which one is right.

I thought they have stopped 4X4 Bolero long back, may have missed but is it still sold? for 8.7L on road? Made to order or any specific states only?
Yes, made for a couple years in BS4 and as with the previous LX DI 4x4 available on order (a few were sold here to non-government entities), then completely discontinued except Camper 4x4.

Quote:
Bolero Camper I am going to see if you can white-plate it here in H.P. via some legal gymnastics. Last time I knew H.P. RTO would not allow white plate.
I have heard of a legit HP42 white-plate (Lahaul Distt.) Camper, But clerk at Kullu RTO told me yesterday they definitely do not issue them - only available on V-Cross/Xenon/Getaway. So it may be a district-level decision on how and whether the rules are to be interpreted/ bent.

Quote:
LWB Bolero DI and SWB Bolero has exact same size of quarter rear glass dimensions, confirmed physically.
Yes, I think there's been some (understandable) confusion here re: the LWB (but not "Plus") Bolero DI's. Not short wheelbase, but also not extended rear section. These as you say have the same rear quarter window dimensions -sliding or fixed - as Marshal / SWB Boleros of all types. Here below are the LWB Plus, the LWB DI (which came in both flat-top and hightop, with longer rear doors like the Camper's, but small rear section), the standard SWB Bolero, and the Marshal. Only the Plus has the longer rear quarter glass AFAIK:

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-screenshot_20210427131659108_org.mozilla.rocket_1.jpgOur Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-screenshot_20210427131731941_org.mozilla.rocket_1.jpgOur Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-screenshot_20210427131449483_org.mozilla.rocket_1.jpg
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img_20210421_111116_102.jpeg

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th April 2021 at 13:46.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 01:06   #281
BHPian

I have installed Armada rubber beadings and Bolero curved fixed glass in the 3rd row replacing the sliders on my Marshal SZ Plus BA 10/ BW 4x4.
dieselhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 22:59   #282
BHPian

Hi Eric,

I have been a silent admirer of your posts over the years. Having owned a 2wd Bolero for 8 yrs/ 251k kms and traveled across India including couple of trips to Ladakh, I admire the simple workhorse vehicles. And i did own a Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk later for 2 yrs / 73k kms and agree to all your observations on the suspension and low torque at lower rpms.

Till date, I have not had anything of value to post in your thread. But today I found something on olx which would be perfect for you - https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-bol...iid-1634970339

The most probable best fit for your needs would be the Mahindra Bolero DI 4wd with Long wheel base that came with a semi high top.

The next time i come up to Manali, will make it a point to meet you.

Best wishes,
JP

Last edited by Herbie98 : 6th May 2021 at 23:05.
Herbie98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 00:19   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
I have installed Armada rubber beadings and Bolero curved fixed glass in the 3rd row replacing the sliders on my Marshal SZ Plus BA 10/ BW 4x4.
Adding a few updated pics. Work stopped at all weather seals and beadings installed. Next ac work stopped due to lockdown followed by power windows and central locks. The car drives pretty well though the water temp hovers around 100. Maybe I need to look at the viscous fan, radiator and the shroud. Also the 3.73 fd swap is on the anvil.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210506_204247.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210506_204219.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210502_103940.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210502_103918.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210502_103907.jpg  

dieselhead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 00:35   #284
Senior - BHPian

A bit of an ordeal this past month or so:

When it came to the re-inspection (a.k.a. "passing") itself, I'd been concerned about a few things:

1. The lack of a handbrake (in the old days all the taxi-wallahs up here removed them, supposedly because they used to jam and immobilize the vehicle at inopportune times, but I don't know how that is technically possible).

2. Roof carrier (so I removed it beforehand, it needs a re-paint anyway).

3. Custom steel tube front bumper (OE was also steel, but anyway, they could make an issue).

4. Non-OE LED front corner marker lights / turn indicators

5. Non-OE wheels

6. Non-ISI-stamped tyres of different size than those specified on RC

7. Reverse lights working only intermittently

8. (in retrospect) one tail-lamp out.

9. No FastTag (so got one through Airtel a day or two before).

10. That rather loud tractor silencer

11. Spare diesel can mounted on the back.

12. Rear number plate mounted high, above the window glass

13. Poor quality printing on the front number plate (that way from new actually), touched up with a bit of black paint.

14. Cracked passenger-side ORVM glass (wife had whacked it on a passing tractor one day - now that's close!)

15. Probably another thing or two I can't recall at the moment

In truth the car is safe and sound and very well-maintained, and a couple of those changes have actually served the purpose of enhancing safety - BUT...

No doubt, a really strict and/or corrupt MVI would have plenty to work with here potentially. I just was praying it would be like the previous time around, when the old fellow was very jovial and it was a rainy day and he hardly gave the car a look before signing off. But this was a new fellow - a young fellow. The last new/young MVI fellow I'd come across in the district was notorious for demanding/taking money on the side... that was when I had my KB inspected, but by that time they had a video camera on him at all times and he seemed well-behaved... Well, whatever.

As it turned out, again this time, the new guy barely glanced at the car or anything referenced in the list above.

Instead, he asked me where the chassis number was on the car (which shows how young / inexperienced he is, I suppose, considering M&M put it in the same place for many years), and then, squatting down near the right front wheel, started studying it very intently, finally concluding (to my utter shock) that it was a re-stamped number. Well this was absolutely impossible, the original owner of the car is someone I know personally from the very next village a kilometer from here, and it's been in this area it's whole life, and I myself have seen the RTO's hard-file on the car with a copy of the original sales invoice, etc, etc...

Apparently he was (again) too young / inexperienced to know anything about the quality of the SN# stampings coming out of Mahindra 20 years ago...? Or else he was half-blind (which is possible, as I really don't see anything messy about the stamping). If he'd merely been after a "donation" there would have been that whole list to work against. As it is, he must have just been inept.

Even if inept, he was adamant and scribbled something more or less illegible pertaining to the rejection on "Form 25", and moved onto the next vehicle.
I followed him, protesting that I had already re-inspected the car and traced that same number five years ago, whereupon there was no issue whatsoever - he replied that he wasn't here five years ago! Said I'd have to get the original sales agency to compose and sign some kind of verification.

You've got to be kidding me, right?

I told him the number was legit, that twenty years ago at Mahindra they were probably hand-stamping numbers... and kept after him, more or less pleading.

Finally he took the form back, looking disgusted, and signed his approval, as far as I could tell. From there according to what I was told online, I was to upload the signed document and report to the relevant RTO for processing.

I truly hate to get into all the details about what sort of confusion from all sides ensued thereafter- it seemed nobody out there comes across owners who, like me, had paid my fees online. Agent outside (who uploaded the doc) was telling me I still had to pay the Token Tax. One guy in the office said no, who ever paid a token tax on a private vehicle, they're just trying to cheat you... Another office guy, after clicking away on the computer for a very long time with a frown, finally said everything was done, and "come back tomorrow" (I live an hour away from there); But a different (RTO) office guy sitting five feet from this one said no, token tax has to be paid. A higher official had been out to lunch for several hours and not back, and upon re-appearance near closing time, also seemed unsure as to this Token Tax. Her office guy said it needed to be paid. Official has to approve everything in this particular setup, and having struck up a nice friendship right then and there (no monetary or other material exchange, mind you), desktop was opened, and file was e-approved - but I was told the system was down and this tax payment not functional, so when it was up and running again I would get a call, whereupon I could even avail of an agent closer to home and pay the Token Tax and get the RC printed, whatever.

Back in my hometown, I visited an agent (two agents, actually) who again seemed puzzled: "Who paid did this earlier payment?" Uh, me. He too said the system wasn't accepting payments, come back later, whatever.
Then lockdown started. Offices closed. Called the official (and hour away) who said things would re-open after the 17th (they didn't), come back then and they'd take care of everything and settle it.

Finally a bright idea came and I just figured I'd check online and see what the status was, and lo and behold, after clicking around here and there for quite awhile and inputting vehicle data on a few different pages with no success, I actually managed to find something that took me to a lovely high-res image of my new RC card right there online and ready for printing.

Whatever...

What a mess.

Had made an offer on a 2015 Scorpio rebuilder project... wasn't supposed to take this long for approval, so unsure as to whether it's still a "go". But if that doesn't work out, I figure with five years valid (and hard-earned) forward registration on the Marshal, it may just be worth upgrading it for better highway use.

Most of the past couple years mainly my wife had been driving it, as I favored the two-wheelers for most of my local transportation. But these past few weeks have myself been behind the wheel quite a bit and keep thinking what a good car it is...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 28th May 2021 at 00:41.
ringoism is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 00:40   #285
BHPian

So much for the nightmares and anticipations for getting the fitness of your vehicle at least from a fellow 20 year old marshal owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210521_164707.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210519_211129.jpg  

dieselhead is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed