Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 18:08   #256
BHPian

Re: Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Lovely... tell me more...

That thing got a 4x4 lever?

The LWB Boleros with solid (live) front axles are very easy to convert to 4x4... find me one with P/S & A/C (and maybe the M2DiCR) and I'll take care of the rest...

LWB Boleros which have AC, will not have 4WD, though few are available with M2DICR as well.

The ones which are 4WD, doesn't have AC.

PS is not available in these but the Bolero Camper/PIKUP PS is direct bolt on and easy to get.

Choose your poison
Old 16th April 2021, 16:50   #257
BHPian

Quote:
I've got channels for imported take-offs of just about any size/type, if nothing else.

Had a look at the 2013 Pure 2wd yesterday,

Not being able to see the front corners while driving,

With the third row out, stowage area would be very generous despite the lower height.

Radiator and A/C condenser sitting kinda low & completely exposed, and no frame member nearby with which to attach solid protection, so that solution would take some engineering.

Still it's not nearly as low as sedans of course,

Bigger Aria issues for us are the lack of 4-Lo gear, spotty Tata quality/reliability, and 4wd being available only on pumped up electro-variants... which in combination, as you say, tends to limit confidence.

That's a main reason I'm not just taking my friend's clean one-owner Safari 4x4 (3.0) LX, actually. Numerous niggles, and not looking for another child to take care of!

-Eric
Hi Eric,

An emphatic yes to all the points!

Inspite of driving SUVs pretty for a long time, driving the Aria had a learning curve to it and was not just plug and play.
With the 3rd row out, you have ginormous amounts of space, it spoils you and you can never pack light ...ever.
Underbody protection needs some creative engineering and I am sure you will get some idea. If you can get hold of the Army Spec Storme, it comes with additional ground clearance (Storme - Aria - Hexa) share the same underpinnings.

The AWD system works well and I have faced no issues with that, just the issue with the tires - needs A/T at least, the time I used Ceat Czar HTs - the tread pattern was nearly identical to the Ceat Czar AT which was available in 265 instead of the 235 needed and hence I didn't go for it.

Btw I have dropped you a PM too

Cheers,
Old 17th April 2021, 00:09   #258
BHPian

Today I test drove my marshal with sz 2600 plus engine with BA 10/ BW 4x4 setup . I feel I need to change the stock 4.27 to 3.83 FD.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210416_133724.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210413_175331.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210413_175309.jpg  

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-20210413_175259.jpg  

dieselhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:00   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
Today I test drove my marshal with sz 2600 plus engine with BA 10/ BW 4x4 setup . I feel I need to change the stock 4.27 to 3.83 FD.
Where I am the road conditions make it an adventure to EVER go much over 60kph and I would go the other way and put 4:88 or 5:38 crown gears in it for low end grunt and mountain climbing...but that's me. This looks like one really nice restoration/rebuild. Much applause

Did you have any hassles with your RTO or your insurance over the Scorpio engine or any other mods? Are you finding tyres for it? Have you had to replace any of your glass? Any trouble finding glass?

Impressive! I hope you will give us more pics and narrative on this. I might want to do this once the virus(s) get out of town.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 14:25   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Did you have any hassles with your RTO or your insurance over the Scorpio engine or any other mods? Are you finding tyres for it? Have you had to replace any of your glass? Any trouble finding glass?

Impressive! I hope you will give us more pics and narrative on this. I might want to do this once the virus(s) get out of town.
Thanks for your encouragement. As for the rto thing? Mums the word. Guess you get it. Insurance as you know anything above 1.5 liter is same for act only. Tyres I opted were 205 / 80 / R16 goodyear wranglers (OE for Isuzu DMax).

All glasses with rubber beadings are available locally. I intend to shut the sliding thing in the back. I am installing dual a/c s both for front and ceiling.
Will keep sharing pics soon. Thanks again for your enthusiasm.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2021 at 19:12. Reason: u = you. Please proof read posts before submitting. No SMS language, short forms or acronyms. Thanks.
dieselhead is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2021, 19:40   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I would go the other way and put 4:88 or 5:38 crown gears in it for low end grunt and mountain climbing...but that's me.

Ken, will add my 2 paise to Dieselhed's replies (lovely work there, btw!):

IMO I'd concur with him re: gearing. Our DI has plenty-O grunt, I'd thought often of going to 3.73's and just using low-range if I get in a tight spot. The BA-10 has a very low 1st in my experience, and the 2.6 Turbo is that much better, plenteous torque from not much above idle. I drove a couple of the old Commander /Armadas with the 5.38's and really hated them, even at (my?) hill speeds they seemed to be screaming... and that's with a Peugeot that could wind a lot higher than the DI. For all-rounders I think the original village-oriented gearing is pretty short in most two-decade-old Indian utes...

I think I've got the same size tyres on mine - or maybe 215/80-16's, which are just a tad taller. Mine were Bridgestone Blizzak M+S imports, but it's great to know the Isuzu's are using a size that's good for these, as it will considerably increase options.

Except the windshield (which is straight from the pickup), all glass is shared with the standard 5-dr Boleros, so basically never going to be issues there. Bolero rear quarter windows are a direct replacement for the sliders... and for that matter the old Commander slider for the back window can fit in place of the Marshal's fixed one...

RTO's and MVI's are like the rest of officialdom - there are good and corrupt, understanding/ nasty, cooperative and inflexible. I've had good experiences with most, and have never been asked for or paid bribes.

The law, moreover, appears to be like most other laws... with a bit of flexibility & discretion built-in for those "special situations". I inquired of RTO's / MVI's both here and Mizoram about proposed engine changes on the Marshal and Impulse, and all indications were that it IS possible (legally) "under applicable sections of the Motor Vehicle Act". Not knowing the intricacies (/loopholes?) of that Act myself, it is for others to analyze/ interpret. So best to be friendly / disarming with them, at least.

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img_20210418_132001_101_1.jpeg

On a whim drove with the family out through the tunnel to Koksar today... Snow was falling by the time we headed back - but we actually needed the 4x4 to get out of a muddy patch in front of the makeshift dhaba where we'd refreshed ourselves

Every time I start thinking we might get along well enough in a car lacking 4x4, I prove myself wrong.

Great car, this is...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 18th April 2021 at 19:50.
ringoism is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 00:19   #262
BHPian

I've hit a glitch now. The front leaves are flattening out under the load of the sz. Now the PS pump is hitting the diff housing and the belt is getting lose resulting in no power steering. Thinking of adding a leaf plus adding spacers to the mount brackets to lift the engine.
dieselhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:33   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've hit a glitch now. The front leaves are flattening out under the load of the sz. Now the PS pump is hitting the diff housing and the belt is getting lose resulting in no power steering. Thinking of adding a leaf plus adding spacers to the mount brackets to lift the engine.
You can do that, but transmission mount would have to be raised an eaual amount as well- the crankshaft / transmission output shaft have to run in a parallel orientation to the differential input shafts, otherwise the cross-joints will create vibrations athigher speeds. The shafts can run in a different PLANE (lower or higher, to left or right) but they must be parallel, not tilted from the axis.

Raising suspension to clear a PS pump seems an excessive compromise. I would think it might be possible to re-work the bracket somehow?

Anyway, have fun - such glitches are part of the game when it comes to engine swaps.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 01:05   #264
Senior - BHPian

Another leaf and/or somewhat longer spring hangers?
Attached Thumbnails
Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-screen-shot-20210420-12.56.00-am.gif  

DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 09:52   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Another leaf and/or somewhat longer spring hangers?
Longer hangers (a.k.a. "shackles") are available off the shelf from typical desi suppliers. I have a set I've not yet put on. Mainly because longer ones are by nature weaker and prone to more deflection with cornering.

But going this route, you still would need taller rubber stops (already hard to find the stock one for the differential side - which is where you especially need it), else on bigger bumps / greater compression the differential is still gonna whack the pump.

And again, is it really worth raising the entire car and effecting handling (by raising center of gravity), only to clear a component which may be as easily re-locatable?

Raising it would indeed be quick and dirty, but you would not even get the benefit of increased suspension travel / articulation.

Bhpian Vikrant made his own mounts for P/S & A/C (on a DI) Marshal... Took him some time, but it seems a better solution, if possible in your case.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 00:36   #266
BHPian

Thanks Dan and Eric for your 2 cents. I think I will go a hybrid way - one additional leaf and raise the mount brackets. Still getting some interiors done. Ac lines and brackets being positioned. So will take to the garage and sort out few more issues namely leaks, steering,brakes, idle speed et all along with the ps pump issue.
Old 21st April 2021, 15:24   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Except the windshield (which is straight from the pickup), all glass is shared with the standard 5-dr Boleros, so basically never going to be issues there. Bolero rear quarter windows are a direct replacement for the sliders... and for that matter the old Commander slider for the back window can fit in place of the Marshal's fixed one...

-Eric
Hi Eric,

Which makes me believe that, the rear slider windows on Bolero DI LWB could also be replaced by the fixed quarter window glass from the regular SWB Bolero ?

regards,
MB4DI
Old 21st April 2021, 22:14   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB4DI View Post
Which makes me believe that, the rear slider windows on Bolero DI LWB could also be replaced by the fixed quarter window glass from the regular SWB Bolero ?
Yes, as I understand it.

I neglected to mention that f/r doors & door panels and glass (exc. LWB, which shares rear doors with Camper) are also same between Bolero/ Marshal.

This to me is a significant plus point of the Marshal - all the standardization / interchangeability. It's got that classic Jeep look - BUT although the last year of production was 2009 (IIRC), they have enough in common with Pickups, Campers, Boleros, and even the Thar (all longtime poplular models pretty much nationwide) that parts supply is hardly an issue. Meaning it's one of those rare "classics" that is both easy to upgrade and easy to service / repair / restore and ultimately keep using.

...assuming the gov/ courts allow us to continue driving them.

On those lines, have got ours pretty well ready for it's "passing" on the 24th... Hoping and praying.

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img_20210421_111210_10101.jpeg

Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS-img_20210421_111116_102.jpeg

Got the paintwork and touching up finished just before the rain started... and this is supposed to go on a few days.

It looks deserving of another five years, if you ask me...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 21st April 2021 at 22:28.
ringoism is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:25   #269
BHPian

Eric,

Your Marshal looks amazing with addon of BLACK dressing tone over the hinges and roof patterns, adds exclusivity to the vehicle. I am sure passing won't be a problem.

What Crown/Pinion ratio you are running on your vehicle ?

Mahindra parts bin makes it easy to swap the 'ornaments'.

regards,
MB4DI
MB4DI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:15   #270
BHPian

Quote:
On those lines, have got ours pretty well ready for it's "passing" on the 24th... Hoping and praying.

It looks deserving of another five years, if you ask me...
She is looking absolutely smashing, by the looks of it and seeing the amount of utter trash which ply on our roads this in comparison is Gold standard, I am sure you will get the renewal!

Great job!

Last edited by Trojan : 22nd April 2021 at 12:16.
Trojan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed