Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 22:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: CJ3B - A Dying breed in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Which Mahindra model had a 38 bhp engine?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hyderabad.html

I know this because I checked out this jeep. The one that got away. :(

A lot of information here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...arities-2.html
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 22:46   #17
BHPian

cj3b's are still around. and so are even fewer MB's . I'm talking about only original spec 3B's & MB's... People here swear by 3B's, and a some of them are still used as utility vehicles (trailer & water tanker trailer pullers) . But the sad thing is , a lot of them are getting dieselized day by day. I still think Shillong has the most number of original spec running 3B's (both LHD & RHD) compared to anywhere else in the country.
Old 16th October 2012, 23:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
I wish we had a small company who can take up building cj3b something like the dabwalis or the hyderabadi market but in a more organised manner with original specs and parts. That so called company can easily book 100-200 jeeps per year with both soft tops and hard tops.Any takers????
Um, don't they have to comply with CMVR?
Old 16th October 2012, 23:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Um, don't they have to comply with CMVR?
Well, we can get away with that Dabwali Style!
kcj3b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 11:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
Dear DB Sir - the Gyan guru who ordered the scraping of the CL340 dyies needs to be sent to the Gallows in a jeepster's world.
Dear kcj3b - you are correct, but how many will you send to the gallows, they were all over the place with people sitting in "meetings" with them. There were some really good Japanese guys also, but they were quite rare, they talked sense so there was a problem because somebody would then have to do something about it.

I remember one particular guy who used to come from Kolkata in violet flowery shirts and bright yellow pants with red shoes with some yellow lines on them (I forgot his name). His hair was completely freckeled or some such thing. He was in a "class of his own". We used to attend sometimes, to bring some "variety factor" in our otherwise quite mundane lives. After a lot of deliberations all over the place (for which he must have charged a bomb), he finally gave some recommendations for dealer service workshop interiors. One workshop in Mulund (Mumbai) was converted exactly as he wanted it. The workshop looked like a disco and customers actually commented like that. I remember that the walls were dark violet, we had to put on lights during daytime also. It is another matter that customers' cars still stood there because things on cars still did not happen but that was not this fellow's problem, that was my problem because I happened to work in that department at that time.

I have seen guys spending huge amounts of time on the type and "detailed texture" of tiles to be fitted in the workshop (instead of caring for customers), then leaving the job and rejoining after just three weeks, getting promoted three grades up and trying to do the same thing all over again. They are still at it I believe!

And we are talking of reviving the CJ3B. We must be nuts! .

We must get into the business of making "4WD brand textured tiles" instead! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 11:40   #21
BHPian

OT.
I must meet DB Sir soon. You have said what exactly runs through my mind many times.

Most companies have such "Managers" who would not let the guys do what they are supposed to do.

If Chrysler Jeep is entering Indian market through Fiat India & if they assemble them here, maybe a lucky few of us can experience real new "JEEP" again.

No 140 bhp, 1.3 Super MJD on them please.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Reminds me of a problem we had with Avaya PBX. They introduced a bug with a minor patch. When we raised the bug, the Avaya managers refused to believe it is a bug. They tried convincing us it was a new feature. We kept fighting and the baton kept moving between managers. Finally it reached the 6th manager in the chain after nearly 3 months of wrangling. The 6th manager was new to the company, so he decided to bring an Avaya lab engineer to the telecon so that he can understand the problem better.

Within 5 minutes into the meeting, the lab engineer declared it was indeed a bug, a major one. The managers had only stonewalled for 3 months, it took an engineer 5 minutes to understand.

This is why managers are called as damagers, especially in technology companies, whether it is automotive or computers.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th October 2012 at 11:56.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 13:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

The problem these days is that we have to deal with companies with multiple layers of indifference and people just argueing/debating/fighting to keep their positions/jobs.

But having said that, what is stopping an entrpreneur to emerge out of a passionate knowledgable person and create a way we can still have these products. Maybe not from the assembly line directly but re-built from proper parts (as they are available) using proper processes and techniques. Re-building an old car does not require to adhere to CMVR norms.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:11   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I must meet DB Sir soon. You have said what exactly runs through my mind many times. Most companies have such "Managers" who would not let the guys do what they are supposed to do.
Dear Skyline GT-R - (good name, you love drifting, do you?) I will be delighted to meet you.

Dear all - one of my very good and knowledgeable colleagues told me to read a book "Car Guys v/s Bean Counters". I am going to read it now for sure! Thanks my dear friend! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th October 2012, 14:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The guy who took the decision to scrap CL340 dies...

Oh my... for some reason I was hoping they would lie in the yard like the sedan body SUV!! Didnt know its long gone! Sad!
Old 25th October 2012, 15:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u]

I have seen guys spending huge amounts of time on the type and "detailed texture" of tiles to be fitted in the workshop (instead of caring for customers), then leaving the job and rejoining after just three weeks, getting promoted three grades up and trying to do the same thing all over again. They are still at it I believe!
Dear DB sir,
Well...they are called the dealer development guys. The jap auto company that I work with have plenty of these fellows coming to office in yellow and orange flowery shirts and bermudas from Head Office (not naming it)sipping on diet coke and deciding what design of showroom should India have and what Indian customer wants, Needless to say many of these bizarre showrooms have flopped not before taking down the dealer principal's money with it.

Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Dear DB sir, Well...they are called the dealer development guys. The jap auto company that I work with have plenty of these videshi fellows coming to office in yellow and orange flowery shirts and bermudas from Head Office (not naming it) sipping on diet coke and deciding what design of showroom should India have and what Indian customer wants. Needless to say many of these bizarre showrooms have flopped not before taking down the dealer principal's money with it. Andy
Dear Andy - you are correct, as long as the money going down the drain is somebody else's, people play in nonsensical ways, sucker the management with fancy presentations, then resign and disappear, only to repeat the same thing with a new set of guys! You seem to have experienced it firsthand, I can see the pain in your post!

Dear all - now that we all unanimously agree that there is an all pervasive (at all levels) and a very influential breed of "other" people who have actually proved that - "those who work get more work, others get pay, perks and promotions" and "PhD" stands for "Pull Him Down" - "the more intelligent a person, the more hardworking a person, the more committed a person, the more number of persons are committed in pulling that person down" (both these quotes are not mine, they came in The Economic Times of 1991, I had cut the newspaper and stuck it under my work table glass when I worked in Premier Automobiles Kurla, I shall never forget these quotes), I feel that we now have to conduct a meaningful discussion on - "how to deal with these (nuisance value only) characters" because they are not going to disappear for a long long time to come. Believe you me, in my opinion, this should become one of the most sought after, discussed, exciting and controversial threads on TeamBHP. Fire away guys, only good will come out of it!

Dear Sharath - you may like to hive off this discussion in an appropriate section if required.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 22:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

And one more pretty authentic Cj3B is on the sale in the classified section. I had the option to go for this jeep long time back when i was searching for one. Just that my purpose was bit different and it was not that practical to go for Cj3b. So if you are really interested in picking up an original 3B there are two pretty good options available.
Old 27th October 2012, 14:35   #29
BHPian

Slightly Off-topic

That is the precise reason why Qualis was phased out. We had more than 10K order booking in 2004, Scorpio had just been launched and as we hoped to look forward to healthy competition, the blow was announced. Now japs have woken up to Indian car buying behaviour and we hope Innova does not meet the same fate.

Fortunately CJ3B has a large fan-following both in India and abroad, CJ3B sites like queensu.au have ensured that this iconic brand would'n't die down in annals of Indian automotive history.

One of these days, maybe we should CJ3B-only (include CJ340 as a diesel cousin) OTRs to promote this rare breed.

Andy
Old 27th October 2012, 16:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
One of these days, maybe we should CJ3B-only (include CJ340 as a diesel cousin) OTRs to promote this rare breed. Andy
Dear Andy - now that's a wonderful idea. I totally endorse it. Nothing comes close to a good CJ3B. Nothing! I hope Vinod reads this.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks