Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2012, 17:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycan View Post
These are pictures of RCBT mods on Barani's commander. When I checked it on the NGCS 550, the box is at an inclination to the chassis. Whereas in Barani's jeep it's just straight. The Gurus can throw more light on this modification.
Dear Jerrycan - simple! Steering geometry must be plotted on CAD which will define its kinematic limits with particular reference to the "necking" phenomenon of the spherical ball with its socket in the joint. Necking essentially means reaching the limit of angle through which the ball can rotate in the socket, by design. If the projection of the ball touches the side of the socket, the ball joint will break at that point which is a catastrophic failure. Once this limit is established with minimum 30% margin, then check all parts for their physical characteristics / layout clearances and strain levels. The angular mounting of the steering box is one of the results of such design activity to achieve the kinematics required.

Now - if you guys still think that a workshop can conduct such work, heaven help you! Would you drive a vehicle where you do not know the necking factor of safety of the ball joint? There are better ways to obtain a one way ticket to you know where!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 10:13   #47
BHPian

Sirji your inputs are duly noted on the topic and will be useful for further reference. There are hundreds of chances in an automobile for a freak one way ticket that cannot be explained or rationalized by the human mind. Of course, there is always bound to be some degree of error/measurement manually compared to an automated one.

Practically and economically I think that the workshops are the most realistic atmosphere for many of us to get the parts fixed or altered. Realistically a company service center cannot be termed as efficient or fail safe as we have read so many topics on it. Does the procurement of used steering boxes or having my own steering box for the last twenty years for that matter not pose a risk of failure? Does cruising at high speeds with no ABS on our mannerless highways of vehicles, humans and cows not pose a risk to safety? Why then do manufactures compromise on it when practically it is most applicable? And to take that case for a used Jeep, there are just some things we can only hope for the best.

Regards,
Barani.
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 13:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Sirji your inputs are duly noted on the topic and will be useful for further reference. There are hundreds of chances in an automobile for a freak one way ticket that cannot be explained or rationalized by the human mind. Of course, there is always bound to be some degree of error/measurement manually compared to an automated one.

Practically and economically I think that the workshops are the most realistic atmosphere for many of us to get the parts fixed or altered. Realistically a company service center cannot be termed as efficient or fail safe as we have read so many topics on it. Does the procurement of used steering boxes or having my own steering box for the last twenty years for that matter not pose a risk of failure? Does cruising at high speeds with no ABS on our mannerless highways of vehicles, humans and cows not pose a risk to safety? Why then do manufactures compromise on it when practically it is most applicable? And to take that case for a used Jeep, there are just some things we can only hope for the best. Regards, Barani.
Dear Barani - in what both of us have written, we may both be correct or incorrect but that is not the point. Also, not a single one out of the hundreds of chances in an automobile for a freak one way ticket should be due to bad engineering, knowingly done. My mind is conditioned to think, strategize and act like an engineer. I do understand that there are numerous people who do not understand engineering. They don't have to. Everybody just cannot know everything. I am just trying to help, take it or leave it.

If a steering ball joint necks and breaks, complete vehicle control will be lost, the result can be a big disaster, that's a simple fact.

In your vehicle, please check every ball joint for necking with 30% margin under full articulation, which means that diagonal wheels are jacked up under the tires till the other two wheels just leave the ground in vehicle loaded to GVW condition and steering system rotated to full lock position on both sides, test repeated with two other tires. You will have to remove all the ball joint dust covers to physically see the clearances.

Finally, to each his own!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 14:38   #49
BHPian

DB sir, this is much more easier to understand and survey, given the clarity of explanation. Thanks for taking the pain to explain it very clearly and your concern is much appreciated.

Regards,
Barani
Old 24th November 2012, 10:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
As you can see from the picture that the jeep is made immobile the minute you leave it under their care. I later realised that this way the jeep owners will not be able to take it out of their workshop so easily. Since I had called him about two days earlier informing my arrival the jeep had some platform work done on it.

My advice on this now :( Never pay large sums of money to people you heard from somebody. make sure it is someone who you know well or atleast be able to produce a receipt. )
I am going through the same bitter experience and can very well relate with you. I have paid a value equal to the fully restored 550 to a dealer in Coimbatore. I would not like to Disclose the name here as I am trying to get back the money. A good friend and also a Bhpian has agreed to help me out of this situation.
There is a thread about this organisation in this Forum, regarding their article in The Hindu. You also seem to have got some fittings from this guy.
BTW your jeep has come out really well. Got to see your Jeep on Avinashi road at Star Rexin.
regards
Jess
Geje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 10:26   #51
BHPian

There are so many others, who have have paid full amount and are unable to get their vehicles.
But the dealers seem to be enjoying their life on other peoples money. Check their face book updates.
The dealer has got 4 jeeps (550's) from me, and have not registered them yet.
Old 25th November 2012, 15:38   #52
BHPian

Hi Jess, thanks. Just back home after taking the delivery for some trail runs. I know who you referring and guess a couple of others are stuck with him too after paying a lot of money. I did purchase the front bumpers through him but then BHPians pointed out where it was manufactured on this thread. I did mention that even though the parcel had a booking number they still tried convincing me they had manufactured it. I had met Prabhu (Jerrycan) when I came down and looks like this is how they go about usually. Hope everything works out well for you. Will PM you.

Regards,
Barani
Old 25th November 2012, 16:31   #53
BHPian

Finally taken the Commander for a test run and extremely happy with the workmanship. Should really appreciate the commitment towards the customer as most people in the garage where still finishing minute details and took delivery at 4am. Based on my work shop rating experience:

1. Workmanship and technical ability: 10/10
2. Customer satisfaction: 10/10
3. Value for money: 8/10
4. Overall workshop experience: 10/10

Having done around 500 kms over two days, think there are few niggles that should be rectified. My thanks to DB sir, Rajith, Swastik Viji, Jerrycan Prabhu, Dhanush, Sreejesh and team bhp for their overall support and guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121122_114920.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121124_032207.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121125-15.25.46.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121124_175923.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121125_143431.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-ivan.jpg  

Old 25th November 2012, 17:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never pay large sums of money to people you heard from somebody. make sure it is someone who you know well or atleast be able to produce a receipt. )
There are two places where i knew jeep work used to be 'decent' at Pollachi. One is the area behind the Iyappan temple and another is at J&D co, Coimbatore road, on the outskirts of Pollachi. JD does most of the work for Pollachi and Valparai region government jeeps, and i have personally seen some good tinker jobs in MM and Force vehicles.

And all these is for body works only. None bothers to get the 4x4 works here, as most are interested in adding spades and shovels to their jeeps, you get what i mean?

And regarding the money part, you know about the combination of a little surplus money in hand and TASMAC does! Even when you sit with them, there is this cellphone menace that tests your patience to the extremes.
Old 26th November 2012, 20:21   #55
BHPian

Congrats Man The Jeep looks really good on that Color. please post some more pics .. rear and side view . How is the steering feels ? do you feel ant kind of vibrations from rear while moving in 1st or changing gears in slow speed ?
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 20:34   #56
BHPian

Thanks sreejesh. The credit should go to dhanush for his tips on doing a matt finish. Had some trouble parking in the basement of my friends apartment as the spacing was quite narrow for this longer wheelbase. But once the vehicle starts moving a bit you can effortlessly drive with one hand. Totally worth the mod. So far no sound from the joint but 4wheel gearbox needs overhauling.
Old 26th November 2012, 20:37   #57
BHPian

Only side view picture is with me right now. Yet to finish the jeep fully and still trying to source middle row seats.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121126_204528.png
Views: 4598
Size:  522.6 KB
Old 26th November 2012, 20:47   #58
BHPian

Friend your Jeep sure looks good. The bodywork and paint job is awesome. What make are those bloody rims? They look terrific.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 10:28   #59
BHPian

Thanks. Sourced the steel rims through Swastic Viji. Must say they are much better than the alloy option I had in mind.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:47   #60
BHPian

Are these rims different from the Army rims. Can you share the prices of those rims. They look terrific.
Do you have any mods in mind. A high lift Jack and a winch is all that is needed for this jeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks