Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:01   #61
BHPian

Those are not Army Rims Geje.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geje
Are these rims different from the Army rims. Can you share the prices of those rims. They look terrific.
Do you have any mods in mind. A high lift Jack and a winch is all that is needed for this jeep
Hi Geje. Mentioned the source and specs of the rims earlier in the thread so that shouldnt be a problem. Pretty sure you are bite by the Jeep bug and it is really something. Since you have a lot of time go through as many threads as possible before you finalise your jeep. As of now I only have the center seats, some soft top work and free wheeling hubs that I really want to do. As for winch , hi lift jack and others can wait after 57" OKBJ, LSD, and maybe even a xd3p engine which I really don't know when it will be possible. Frankly as the gurus mentioned I accept in the end there is no end. Not sure which thread but svsanthosh had mentioned that Jeeps are not built but they are made which I truly standby. Every Jeep is unique and everyone's requirement is unique as stated. So feel free to get what you want and a lot of material and members here in this forum will guide you to achieving it.

Regards
Barani
Old 7th December 2012, 21:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Dear Behram, Samurai and Dan,
I think it would be appropriate to start a thread based on your experience the workshops that are best for restoring Jeeps. That way we would all have the pros and cons of all the workshops around us. We could derive inputs from members if a particular workshop based on their experience was good and their pros and cons listed. For example, XXX workshop can get feedback like pros - on time delivery and workmanship and cons - quite expensive etc. This would for a guide to budding Jeepers and would be a benefit for us on the whole.
There's an old saying: "You can get it done fast, cheap, or right - pick any two" (think about that for a minute: For example: You can get it cheap and fast, but it won't be right. You can get it right and cheap, but it won't be fast; you can get it right and fast, but it won't be cheap). Among reputable outfits re: Jeep or any other kind of work on the planet, those are generally your options, and I've found that this "rule" fairly universally applies.

But with some disreputable outfits (which in this land are not rare), you unfortunately can't realize even one of the three.

Your Commander looks really great.

-Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 7th December 2012 at 21:46.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 21:50   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Finally taken the Commander for a test run and extremely happy with the workmanship.
Hi,

Your Jeep looks really good! I'm happy that the paint job came out really well. Few suggestions.
  • Choose any one indicator lamp location. Either on the fender or on the grille. I'd prefer on the Grille.
  • Get a headlight grille and an insect guard!
  • Please do something about the thing on the side, which looks like a foot step.
  • Get rear wheel flares. Leave the front as it is. It looks great!
  • Do you really need all those lights on top?
Other than that, the Jeep looks just perfect!!.. I'm glad that the wait has come to a fruitful end.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 00:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism

There's an old saying: "You can get it done fast, cheap, or right - pick any two" (think about that for a minute: For example: You can get it cheap and fast, but it won't be right. You can get it right and cheap, but it won't be fast; you can get it right and fast, but it won't be cheap). Among reputable outfits re: Jeep or any other kind of work on the planet, those are generally your options, and I've found that this "rule" fairly universally applies.

But with some disreputable outfits (which in this land are not rare), you unfortunately can't realize even one of the three.

Your Commander looks really great.

-Erik
Hi Eric,
Just reanlysing your quote with the real world situations and must say you are spot on. Have experienced the first and last options but think ran out of patience and trust to opt for the second option. Great quote. And to top all this, many "such" outfits always manage to go scott free for such practices. Sometimes we just learn it the hard way. Thank you.

Regards
Barani.
Old 8th December 2012, 00:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Hi,

Your Jeep looks really good! I'm happy that the paint job came out really well. Few suggestions.
[*]Choose any one indicator lamp location. Either on the fender or on the grille. I'd prefer on the Grille.[*]Get a headlight grille and an insect guard![*]Please do something about the thing on the side, which looks like a foot step. [*] Get rear wheel flares. Leave the front as it is. It looks great![*]Do you really need all those lights on top? Other than that, the Jeep looks just perfect!!.. I'm glad that the wait has come to a fruitful end.
Hi dhanush,
First I must say a big thanks to you for posting the details of the painting procedure in your thread which saved me loads of dough. Finally I got what exactly I wanted without even the word DuPont at a fraction of the cost.

* Based on my sad story most body parts were a mix and match and I guess I ended up getting a bit of both.
* Definitely getting those two items - mesh is OE and any idea about headlight grill ?
* Intended to be a side step before I learnt being a true jeeper but now am planning to rework it as a rock slider / and just a little to be as a side step. Will that work ?
* Thar wheel arches didn't fit but guess can get one done with hard rubber mat.
* I doubt I will ever use them but had my heart set on the front bar and lights from the start. I did work on the pipe twice cos I didn't want it too high nor too low
* Mrf wanderer suits my budget for tyre replacement but should I go for the 235/70/16 or 255/65/16.
Attaching a rough sketch of the soft top design. Let me know your suggestions and thanks again.

Regards.
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2012, 14:51   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Commander - what else did you expect? You have learnt the hard way. I hope this nonsense never happens to anybody else, ever!

Dear Rajith and all - on tuesday evening, I was sedately driving home (I drive through the heart of Pune city everyday, 30 kms each way) and took a small detour due to a massive traffic jam. Suddenly I saw an "Old Jeep Market". So, I just had to stop, there was no way I was going to miss this one, all of you will totally agree! .

I parked my car safely some distance away and casually walked in, pretending to know nothing, just wanting something called "Jeep". There were two guys who promised me the moon + all planets in 15 days flat for something above 3 lacs only. The exact words were - "Injun pejot / di / gaar / diphrental / axle-bixal / body-bidi / top-bip / paper-biper, all takatak". They tried to sell me a completely dilapidated Commander 750 DP Soft Top, calling it an "MM" (at least they knew that something like MM exists). Conversion from 2WD to 4WD was very easy as per them, only one "danda" to be fitted! I had a "cutting chai" at their expense (why not!) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now they will wait forever for the "bakra" to come to them, HaHaHa! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I didn't realize you're based in Pune!

Are you referring to Arab garage "the ONLY dealers of open sports jeep in Pune" (whatever that means) as per their board outside the massive jeep graveyard in Somwar Peth, or Memon Auto situated a few meters away?

And when you refer to driving through the "heart of Pune city" every day, is there any way I can meet you for 5 minutes at a place and time of your convenience?
Old 10th December 2012, 15:48   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
I didn't realize you're based in Pune! And when you refer to driving through the "heart of Pune city" every day, is there any way I can meet you for 5 minutes at a place and time of your convenience?
Dear Vivekjayasheel - sure, it will be my pleasure to meet you. Please send me your mobile number by PM, I'll call you and we'll fix up where to meet.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th December 2012, 16:10   #69
BHPian

I don't think I am allowed to PM anyone on here... the last time I tried that, I was reprimanded by a moderator, LOL. My number is 9823106662. Thanks much, respected sir.
Old 10th December 2012, 23:56   #70
BHPian

Your Jeep seems to be back in SIM, Coimbatore. They are Fast and Right. They are also reasonable if not Cheap

Not all out fits can go Scot-free They have Limitations.
At least the outfit in Coimbatore seems to realize this. We have formed a cartel and have preferred a complaint at the outfits Jurisdiction. The three musketeers are likely to end up behind bars. Thanks to our good friend and Bhpian, it would not have been possible without him.
Geje
Old 11th December 2012, 13:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
.......I bring you back to "Section Modulus". Now see the mounting of the steering gear box in your vehicle. Have you incorporated spacers inside the long members? If not, when the long bolts are tightened, the long members will collapse, throwing your complete effort for a toss.............So, remove the front bumper, fabricate and fit spacers inside the long members..........
Bharani,

This is the spacer that DB Sir is referring to. Picture is from a Bolero PicUp truck which came for a steering box job to my local garage.

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-mrcbt.jpg
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 19:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh

Bharani,

This is the spacer that DB Sir is referring to. Picture is from a Bolero PicUp truck which came for a steering box job to my local garage.
Hi sir ,
Is the spacer the sleeve inside the tubular section of the chassis through which the long bolts run? Had a look at the process in dhanush sir detailed report beforehand and confirmed with the mechanic as well. He too added that the bolts will collapse if there was no spacer.
Old 24th December 2012, 16:22   #73
BHPian

Current update : Just finished with the gearbox overhaul and other minor complaints. Got innova jump seats for the rear but then the old rollcage had to be redone. So spent a good part of the weekend reworking on it and as dhanush sir mentioned side step had to go. Completed rollcage and soft top work has begun.

Not able to attach multiple photos through the app so just a few updates on the rebuild.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121224_163502.png
Views: 4449
Size:  570.7 KB

More pics of the completed rollcage.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!
Attached Images

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th December 2012 at 07:39.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:39   #74
BHPian

Hi commander,
Your jeep has come out really well, i had posted earlier on your thread, it has come to every bit that i had in mind. I am glad you went your sensibilities of what you want than going with the flow. since, the jeep bug has bit me too, i have decided to go in for short body, i didnt find any suitable commander frame jeep which was in my budget. You search handle i have posted pics of the short body, now its going to be a WIP soon.
Congrats again.
nofear5611 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 13:05   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear5611 View Post
Hi commander,
Your jeep has come out really well, i had posted earlier on your thread, it has come to every bit that i had in mind. I am glad you went your sensibilities of what you want than going with the flow. since, the jeep bug has bit me too, i have decided to go in for short body, i didnt find any suitable commander frame jeep which was in my budget. You search handle i have posted pics of the short body, now its going to be a WIP soon.
Congrats again.
Hi indra, just checked your posts in the section and hope you have a great rebuild. Do take a trusted mechanic with you before you make the actual purchase which will give a better picture at what you are looking at. Happy Jeeping. The completed work of my commander.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20130104-13.02.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks