Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 19:41   #76
BHPian

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Hi all,
Just back from my first OTR in Bengaluru and it was an awesome experience. My first thanks to the organizers and marshals for giving a great event on and off the trials. The off road trails were given rave reviews by the usual offroaders which shows the effort put in by members of BODA to conduct the event. The stay was pleasant, the events were carried out without any delays and confusion and concluded by a socail dinner. We were a convoy of six Jeeps from Salem and everyone really had a great time at the event. So hats off to all the organisers of the event.

COMMANDER AT THE OTR.
We set out around 9ish on Friday morning and the first event was a hill climb. That went fairly well except for a thud on the rear housing on the last rock. Lucky it was only was diff guard which had taken the hit. After a few minor one's there was this hill with sharp turns going down. I could see a few mm540's and Thar's having a tough time on this one. So my turn comes up and i knew it was going to be a tuff one because of my added wheelbase but knew it was just a couple of more tries in mine. I take the right u turn and then had to back up for the left articulation when my spotter tells me something. I couldnt get it and finish the trail and head down only to hear that my cooling fan had shattered to pieces there. My heart sank as I knew that meant my radiator could have taken a hit and worst off all my OTR was done by 11am. So got down opened the bonnet and bingo radiator had started leaking. Luckily Viji sir spared me some m seal and my salem convoy helped me sort the repairs on the radiator. After about an hour radiator leak almost arrested but I would have to carry on the event without a fan. Luckily the Jeep did manage to keep the temperature to continue all the trails of the day. Back we went to the camp site and we were brainstorming for a solution to get it fixed for the next day. Bumped into sriny_blr and his brother Prabakar who put me through one of the marshals Lokesh who offered his help. Being almost 7pm he suggested that to get a DI model fan and bring it back to camp would not be feasible but he did spare me a wagon r fan that could be operated through my battery. So he arranged an electrician and we managed to clamp the fan on the grill and it did work efficiently through all the trails and back to Salem. So end of the day there is a not much I could complain about the Commander except maybe taking a little bit more effort.

Now damage to the vehicle: Radiator servicing, cooling fan to be refitted (the distance between fan and radiator was about an inch in mine whereas most had about 2 to 3 inches. should work on that), humming sound from gearbox is back on and leaks and from nozzle, etc etc. , check housing oil levels. Will update a few pics when i get them.

Cheers
Old 28th January 2013, 20:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
the distance between fan and radiator was about an inch in mine whereas most had about 2 to 3 inches. should work on that
If fan is close to the radiator, cooling will be better, right?
Old 28th January 2013, 20:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

ok thats why 1 action pic was with just the grill and ur parking @ home has a fan on the grill... lucky you!
Old 28th January 2013, 22:45   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If fan is close to the radiator, cooling will be better, right?
That would seem to be the logic but almost all the jeeps had proper spacing between the radiator and the fan. With the electric fan fitted the distance was about 7 to 8 inches from grill to radiator but still it proved to be more effective than my normal radiator. Gurus please clarify this doubt: On our way back we have severe radiator leakage on one of the jeeps. So we put a packet of turmeric powder into the radiator and that stopped the leakage completely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
ok thats why 1 action pic was with just the grill and ur parking @ home has a fan on the grill... lucky you!
Yes sir, that was lucky indeed. Missed you at the OTR but hope you were glad to the condition of your old jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20130128_173847.jpg  

commander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 09:27   #80
BHPian

Sir
I saw your jeep at SIM yesterday. He says that it is back for getting new axles. Are you planning to retain the old axles ? Please do let me know if are disposing those axles. I will pick them up.
Geje
Old 16th February 2013, 15:17   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geje View Post
Sir
I saw your jeep at SIM yesterday. He says that it is back for getting new axles. Are you planning to retain the old axles ? Please do let me know if are disposing those axles. I will pick them up.
Geje
Hi Geje, changing the front axles to 57 OKBJ and FFRA. Not able to send you a PM. Please PM your number and I will call you. Thanks.
Old 21st February 2013, 08:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Geje, changing the front axles to 57 OKBJ and FFRA. Not able to send you a PM. Please PM your number and I will call you. Thanks.
Sir,
I plan to get a NGT 520 Gb for my existing 540. I also Intend to go for the OKBJ but with a smaller track. Would you please share the contact details of the seller.
I do not have PM facilities. It would be of great help if you could share the details on the FORUM.
Thanks in advance,

Jess
Old 21st February 2013, 10:12   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
I plan to get a NGT 520 Gb for my existing 540. I also Intend to go for the OKBJ but with a smaller track. Would you please share the contact details of the seller.
I do not have PM facilities. It would be of great help if you could share the details on the FORUM.
Thanks in advance,

Jess
Jess sourced it through Jerrycan. You can contact him for further details.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:14   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
Thanks in advance,

Jess
Jess,

If you are looking for a smaller track OKBJ, there is a 51" OKBJ from major is for sale in Calicut Scrap market. But the price is high 9k for the tube.

- Sreejesh
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Jess sourced it through Jerrycan. You can contact him for further details.
Thank you Commander. Can you please share the total cost of conversion to OKBJ.
Now your Jeep has the latest upgrades, Next TURBO IC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Jess,

If you are looking for a smaller track OKBJ, there is a 51" OKBJ from major is for sale in Calicut Scrap market. But the price is high 9k for the tube.

- Sreejesh
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your Input.You mean just the axle housing. I need the whole front axle and housing with disc brake set. I also need the Rear housing (FFRA).

@Jerrycan.
Prabhu Sir, Can you help me source a front and rear axle set up and an NGT 520 geat box with Transfer Case.

Thanks In advance
Jess
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:01   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
we put a packet of turmeric powder into the radiator and that stopped the leakage completely!!
Barani, this is a very popular get home-tip. I hope the owner has sorted out the issue and not relying on haldi for ever.
Quote:
Thank you for your Input.You mean just the axle housing. I need the whole front axle and housing with disc brake set. I also need the Rear housing (FFRA).
Hi Gege, If you are not planning to increase the track width, then, your stock axles will do the job. It is a cheaper alternative. You will have to source the discs and the entire set up though, will cost you ~14k.
Quote:
@Jerrycan.
Prabhu Sir, Can you help me source a front and rear axle set up and an NGT 520 geat box with Transfer Case.
I know a person who has the front an rear axles in stock. I will let you know.

btw, why do you need an NGT520 GB?. The shifts will be much smoother, with no Jeep music, but, IMO, nothing can beat the good 'ol KMT 90 off-road. The reliability is unmatched. Please do re-think your decision.
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
but, IMO, nothing can beat the good 'ol KMT 90 off-road. The reliability is unmatched. Please do re-think your decision.
Why is the reliability of the NGT 520 inferior to the KMT 90, could you explain? Is there any failure probability inherent to it (TM only) ?

Spike
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:35   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Why is the reliability of the NGT 520 inferior to the KMT 90, could you explain? Is there any failure probability inherent to it (TM only) ?

Spike
Sorry for not being clear.

One of my main concerns in OTR's is the underbody taking a hit. However, hard we try, sometime or the other, we end up on the cross member like a sea-saw. Specially when we venture out on unknown territories. IMO, the KMT 90 can handle that kind of abuse much better than the NGT5xx.

There is also one more reason, of which, I'm not so clear, that most of the commercially used 4x4 vehicles in Ooty are swapping their hardly used NGT520 for a KMT90.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

IMO, the KMT 90 can handle that kind of abuse much better than the NGT5xx.
Ok, so that is your opinion. I thought you had some solid reason.

Quote:
There is also one more reason, of which, I'm not so clear, that most of the commercially used 4x4 vehicles in Ooty are swapping their hardly used NGT520 for a KMT90.
Interesting observation, would love to know why.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd February 2013 at 15:13.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:18   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Interesting observation, would love to know why.
When I was considering Thar DI last year, a Mahindra SA whom I know well told me not to consider it because of NGT520. Apparently, it has issues with synchronizer rings, they are getting too many complaints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks