Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 20:40   #121
BHPian

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Just the little bit of information that I could gather about M2di & M2dicr with the help of fellow tbhpians, internet and mechanics alike. Please feel free to correct if any of my information is wrong.

M2di - Di turbo derived with ECM with fuel pump being cable operated. (Similar system to the ones on Di turbo). Not sure of the bhp.

M2dicr - Di turbo derived with ECM on common rail with fuel pump controlled by sensor. Not too sure because the specs says 63bhp on the mahindra bolero site.

Fabrication of new boot using and platform for rear.

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131104_174916.jpg

3mm diamond sheet for side and rear door.
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131112_155222.jpg

Not too sure how to place the spare tyre horizontal/vertical or tapered(rear view mirror visibility is zero). Will figure that once the external roll cage is fabricated.
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131112_170130.jpg

Innova seats are a must on the list of specifications(rear). So removed the plastic cladding at the bottom and will fabricate new frame with an additional spring for the seat. Saves me about two inches on each seat and now can be fitted inside.
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131112_155133.jpg

The dashboard of the bolero and pick up looks the same except for a different shelf for the music system, and colors. Is the Thar Crde dash of the same spec with a support frame at the top or smaller than the bolero one near the windshield part. Any clues?

Regards,
Barani.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:42   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
The dashboard of the bolero and pick up looks the same except for a different shelf for the music system, and colors. Is the Thar Crde dash of the same spec with a support frame at the top or smaller than the bolero one near the windshield part. Any clues?
I think there are minor changes,since most of the MM parts are reusable components. I haven't particularly observed the windshield area, but both do look somewhat similar in the size.

You build is shaping up good, may I know why did you go for a full body, when you intended for a roll-cage?

Should have picked up Bolero Camper if that was the idea right? Just a question, no offence meant

So your old body is going be a scrap of you have plans for re using them?
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 11:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Should have picked up Bolero Camper if that was the idea right? Just a question, no offence meant
Where is the fun in that?

And this effort is still about half of a campers cost.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 11:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

SVS,

That's why this "Real Jeeps are Built not Bought".

Your jeeps is really becoming a "Commander" , is that rear portion is welded to the body ?
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 16:45   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
I think there are minor changes,since most of the MM parts are reusable components. I haven't particularly observed the windshield area, but both do look somewhat similar in the size.

You build is shaping up good, may I know why did you go for a full body, when you intended for a roll-cage?

So your old body is going be a scrap of you have plans for re using them?
Just checked with a Thar and the bolero/pick up dash board that I picked. The plastic in front of the speedo hood is about three inches on the bolero and about an inch on the Thar near the windshield part. That gives space between the dash and the steering wheel as well as the gear lever area for Thar.

Primary reason for going hardtop :

The drive to Palar this year had me drenched in rain for over three hours and I could feel my body going numb. So after Palar I made up my mind to look for used armada shells as double cab pick ups are almost impossible to find. Didnt get much and the low budget ones were for sale as a whole - meaning I had to dispose rest of the vehicle. Luckily during my visit to Mettupalayam for a replacement of the rear housing I happened to find this shell. No second thoughts - just bought it and will be my primary vehicle. Also

*Security
*Can be used as a daily drive/primary vehicle, long distances.
*Added comforts AC/Music.

Put a word to a couple of tinker shops in Salem and in about three weeks sold my old shell, windscreen, roll cage and soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Good and now it gets better. I was so crazy about a double cab shell, after many dead ends I approached M&M for a quote -Rs. 1,40,000 without the doors and windscreen and misc. That is what let me to an armada shell and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
SVS,

That's why this "Real Jeeps are Built not Bought".

Your jeeps is really becoming a "Commander" , is that rear portion is welded to the body ?
Thanks Sreejesh. It has about two inches space between the cab and boot. Both are independently mounted on the chassis.

A few pics of the current work.

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131114_130445.jpg

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131114_130532.jpg

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131114_132312.jpg

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20131114_150124.jpg

Regards
Barani
Old 14th November 2013, 18:59   #126
BHPian

Hello Barani Sir. Your "Commander" is just coming out so well. Congrats on the great work going into it. The Armada body gels so well woth the MM 550 look of the front body.
But I have a couple of thoughts on the other side of it as well.
1. You quoted that the rear portion is welded separately to the chassis. Will that not be a problem in the future taking various issues such as rigidity, safety etc into consideration?
2. And the rear has the 3mm diamond sheets placed for the rear door and the rear body top. Will that not cause any rattling sounds and add to the noise of the vehicle as a whole?
Please clarify me as I'm just a beginner in all these respects and ignore anything that you find off topic.
Regards,
Vinay.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:59   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
The Armada body gels so well woth the MM 550 look of the front body.

1. You quoted that the rear portion is welded separately to the chassis. Will that not be a problem in the future taking various issues such as rigidity, safety etc into consideration?

2. And the rear has the 3mm diamond sheets placed for the rear door and the rear body top. Will that not cause any rattling sounds and add to the noise of the vehicle as a whole?

Please clarify me as I'm just a beginner in all these respects and ignore anything that you find off topic.
Regards,
Vinay.
Hi vinay,
Let me welcome you to team bhp and to the offroading community as well. And please no sir, very much a learning novice myself.

* it is not an armada body but one of a double cab pick up (utili I guess) that came before the camper and maxx models. Still lucky to have found it as it blends with the jeep look.
* it is not welded to the chassis but mounted on the mounting points provided on the chassis.
* will be using a lock nut for those areas with sufficient washers. Will update after trails. Rear door will have one of those old screw and tighten mechanism to stay fixed.

Regards
Barani
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 22:34   #128
BHPian

Some very good information that I happened to miss regarding the engines.

Source:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html

Scorpio M2DI BS-III- MDI3200 with Chain Drive
Bolero MDI3200 BS-III with Gear Drive
Scorpio M2DICR BS-IV- MDI3200 Chain Drive engine with Common rail (different) & without Intercooler
Xylo MDI CRDe 2.49L BS-III / IV- Common rail engines with reduced Stroke length.

All engines are different, don't ask me intricate details and whom they are being targeted to.

Spike

PS- I hope everyone is aware of the predecessor of these engines.

Regards
Old 15th November 2013, 00:32   #129
BHPian

Yes, mounting was what I actually meant.
And looking forward to the complete WIP pics and updates of this thread barani ji. The work you are currently undertaking is what I've had in the back of my mind since a couple of years, (a double cabin MM550 Commander), but in vain.
Completely glued to your thread and expecting a mighty outcome for all your efforts. Sure, once done, you'll have countless stares across the streets and a number of such new projects turning up on this forum!
Regards,
Vinay.
TwistOfFate! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 08:54   #130
BANNED

hello Commander ,

Just a word of caution, now yours is a metal body hard top with SPOA , just dont get carried away on side slopes.

I have been using a metal body, 5 door LWB Jeep since 89 & had been through some scary moments. It happens somehow quickly than you imagine. For a moment or point its all OK & then it comes, it starts lifting too quickly to act upon. I have seen HT jeeps Rolling without any clue, But fortunately it has not happened with me as I took due care, & as to making few people stand on the side foot boards.

Please add some kind of Rock Sliders on which at least four people can stand . also add Grab Rails on the hood for them to hold.

As far as my Land Rover is concerned , it has an aluminium body, so the CG is lower than it would appear, but again be cautious.

Happy Jeeping... this build is going to give you one hell of an experience I bet.

Sudarshan

* EDIT - check this, this is what I have, but BTW please weigh your vehicle when you complete it. There are electronic weigh bridges on highways for trucks, it works good.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3003101

Last edited by Sudarshan : 15th November 2013 at 09:06.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

I am really happy to see your build Bharani! It is coming out really well.
However, you may need to mount the roll bars to the chassis for better safety.
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 10:17   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
hello Commander ,

Please add some kind of Rock Sliders on which at least four people can stand . also add Grab Rails on the hood for them to hold.

Happy Jeeping... this build is going to give you one hell of an experience I bet.

Sudarshan

* EDIT - check this, this is what I have, but BTW please weigh your vehicle when you complete it. There are electronic weigh bridges on highways for trucks, it works good.[/url]
Thanks sir, rock sliders in the pipeline.

Sreejesh had also told me to get that checked due to the additional weight now. Will get that checked after the complete rebuild.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:28   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I am really happy to see your build Bharani! It is coming out really well.
However, you may need to mount the roll bars to the chassis for better safety.
Thanks sir. Will it hold good if I extend it from there to be mounted on the chassis. I didnt have a clue how the rollcage would shape up so just went ahead wiht it on the body. One more question, is it ok to weld the mounts for the rollcage on the chassis.

Regards
Old 15th November 2013, 12:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

It would be better to weld an anchor arm to the chassis and bolt the rollcage to the anchor arms. Will help you when you need to remove the body at any point in the future.
Woukd you mind sharing how much you paid for the twin cab?
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:14   #135
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you consider fixing the spare on the roof using a well designed carrier. Fully functional and easily accessible by standing on your boot.
Your visibility will not be hampered either.

Most Viewed