Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 15:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Are there any shops anywhere that can be TRUSTED to recondition a civilian or Army jeep from rust-bucket status to pristine condition? To deliver it in such good shape that you would have no second thoughts about taking it into the deep Himalayas? And with minimal supervision during the restore?
Here is one example: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...n-project.html
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 21:37   #32
BHPian

Dear Behram, Samurai and Dan,
I think it would be appropriate to start a thread based on your experience the workshops that are best for restoring Jeeps. That way we would all have the pros and cons of all the workshops around us. We could derive inputs from members if a particular workshop based on their experience was good and their pros and cons listed. For example, XXX workshop can get feedback like pros - on time delivery and workmanship and cons - quite expensive etc. This would for a guide to budding Jeepers and would be a benefit for us on the whole.

Dear Behram sir,
Logically speaking the Thar costs roughly eight lakhs on road now. Based on all the classifieds on team-bhp and a few i doubt that realistically the Thar could be bought for sub five lakhs in three years? Moreover with the added manufacture's increase in cost every year makes the resale value of the product higher. What would be a wiser choice sir. New DI or Used Thar ?

Regards
Barani.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Barani,

In case you didn't know, Behram (DB Sir) used to work for Mahindra and is the prime reason for the Thar to be out in the open today. He is now with Tata Motors.

If you want to zoom around on the highway at ridiculous speeds and macho looks at clubs and parties, buy the Thar Crde. Or else, if it is serious off-roading that you are talking of, take the Di and modify it accordingly. The NGCS chassis is much sought after.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:06   #34
BHPian

I knew DB sir was very reputed among us and was the brain behind the Thar. Didnt know he is with Tata now. Thanks for the update.
Old 15th November 2012, 19:24   #35
BHPian

Barani,
Is this your jeep at SIM, Coimbatore,

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121112-11.05.39.jpg
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121112-11.05.50.jpg

The MRCBT is fitted at a Straight line on the chassis, usually it is inclined at an angle to the chassis.Being an universal joint it shouldn't be trouble, but please check with the Gurus and may be you should check on company fitted vehicles as well.
Old 15th November 2012, 22:59   #36
BHPian

Hi Jerrycan, that is my Jeep only at SIM. I guess they have fitted the MRCBT on quite a few jeeps and only one person Babu is allowed for such alterations. There was another pickup close by so i guess they were cross checking the postion and stuff. I was only there for a day when the work had started and left town. Will try to get some feedback from the Gurus on it.

Just back from coimbatore and its still only at 'almost done'. Sadly I have to change the four wheel gear box rod from a two lever to a single one as I dont have a front joint currently. Any idea as to how much the cost of the body, joint and lever cost?

Apart from that one work, which I hope to do later planning to take delivery on the 21 Nov. Uploading a few pics before it goes for painting.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-harsh.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121030_110622.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121115_172640.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121115_172650.jpg  

My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-20121115_180322.jpg  

commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 01:44   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
There was another pickup close by so i guess they were cross checking the postion and stuff.
Hi Barani,
  • Did they paint the inside of the chassis section where they made it a box? For fitting the MRCBT? If not, remove the front long member and some how primer/paint the insides. Or else you will not get a chance to do it again.
  • The installation should not interfere with the etched chassis number. Does it?
  • Align the pitman arm/tie rod properly.
Check here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2794012

Quote:
Sadly I have to change the four wheel gear box rod from a two lever to a single one as I dont have a front joint currently. Any idea as to how much the cost of the body, joint and lever cost?
Sir, I dont understand the logic. Could you please elaborate?

Regards,

Dhanush
Old 16th November 2012, 11:41   #38
BHPian

Hi Sir,
- I'm not too sure if they have painted the inner section and will inform the garage to do that.
- The chassis number is not affected by the MRCBT work. I was present during that time and the mechanics were cautious about that. Thanks for your guidance Dhanush. The connecting rod is only slightly tapered in my set up(MRCBT). Is that ok?

Regarding the four wheel set up, my jeep does not have the front joint from the front housing to gearbox. Any idea about the cost of it Sir? More over my model comes with two lever stick instead of the single stick, and was told that I should change the body of the front gear box to make it a single stick. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Barani.
Old 16th November 2012, 14:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Barani - please be very careful, steering geometry for front mounted RCBT steering gear vehicles is completely different, which includes caster. The system is only suitable for torsional rigidity constant of the NG chassis (multiplication factor is 2.5). I do not know how it will behave on the "C" section chassis. I cannot understand your reason for changing over from two lever to single lever transfer case. End resultwise both are exactly same, why you want to spend money? Kindly clarify.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 17:11   #40
BHPian

Dear DB sir, really glad and honoured to have your inputs on my thread. Sir please excuse me as I am a novice and I was told to go in for the simpler single lever case. The red commander next to my commander of similar production year had a single lever case and was wondering what would be the cost input for it. If there is no difference whatsoever I would be glad to source a used joint and two levers thereby saving money.

Just reading the thread on the various types of chassis sections on team-bhp thread. The in-depth knowledge of this thread is really mind blowing.

Regards,
Barani.
Old 16th November 2012, 17:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If there is no difference whatsoever I would be glad to source a used joint and two levers thereby saving money.
Hi Barani,

Like DB sir mentioned, there is no difference at all. The difference is only in the mode of operation. Infact, I have seen some old and experienced people say that, the double lever is more comfortable to use.

Just get a front prop shaft.
Quote:
The connecting rod is only slightly tapered in my set up(MRCBT). Is that ok?
I'm not entire sure about whats happened in there. Could you please post some more pics?

Also, do you need to have that steering shock absorber? I'd say remove it, as it doesn't really help in any practical use.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 19:42   #42
BHPian

Hi sir, right now I dont have any pictures of it. Will be going next week and update on that work sir. Thanks for the info.
Old 16th November 2012, 19:57   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear DB sir, please excuse me as I am a novice and I was told to go in for the simpler single lever case.
Dear Barani - arre baba, you are already an "expert" novice, so where is the problem? Sleep below "your" vehicle and the "other" vehicle, "see" what happens when you move "two" levers in your vehicle and "one" lever in the other vehicle, then apply some rationality. You will see that both systems finally move two horizontal levers, both of which enter the transfer case! Simple, isn't it? See, now you are smiling naa? Now "think" one step further. Find an original workshop manual and read it. The original CJ3B had "two" levers (in vehicles without PTO). "Two" was changed to "one". If you were the "desi" engineer, what would you have done? It does not take rocket science to get inside the brain of this "desi" engineeer to realize that he will do everything outside the transfer case only. We Indians are conditioned to think like this. Think like an Indian engineer, you will get the answer. It is so simple. Introduce a ball and socket spherical joint to rotate the single lever to actuate either the LH rod or the RH rod. What is so difficult?

Please remember Baraniji, for one mad guy like me who talks to you like this, there are 100 other guys for whom you are just a bank vault. They couldn't care less if your vehicle had 1, 2, 3 or even 5 transfer case levers. It is only you who has to think calmly and logically, "talk to the vehicle", get your own answers and then realize where to spend your hard earned money and where not to spend it.

By the way, have you seen how the "tunnel" is made in the radiator mounting cross member for the steering rod in production NGCS vehicles? Do you know what is "Trepanning"? See the NG chassis. The round cross members pass through and through the 115mm * 60mm rectangular long members and then get full CO2 welding on both vertical webs, which give immense strength. BE (Mechanical) guys will remember "Geometrical and Machine Drawing" by N.D.Bhatt, where we did "Interpregnation of Surfaces" in the third semester. I bring you back to "Section Modulus". Now see the mounting of the steering gear box in your vehicle. Have you incorporated spacers inside the long members? If not, when the long bolts are tightened, the long members will collapse, throwing your complete effort for a toss. With highest respect for "babu" and numerous similar technicians like him who attempt to do a fantastic job, please remember that if "babu" could do everything, there would be no need for an R&D department. My family and I would have starved by now. . So, remove the front bumper, fabricate and fit spacers inside the long members. For one vehicle, it is the least you can do.

Finally, to each his own. I rest my arguments. QED!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 22:03   #44
BHPian

DB sir, the more light you throw on such topics the more I research and learn from it. I feel I'm redoing my mechanical engineering after years again albeit seriously this time. Just recalling my 'strength of materials' paper during third semester and studying all about bending moment, torsional rigidity, twisting moment on beams and stuff. Sirji with reference to your inputs, it would help numerous others on the topics you have explained. So I am only glad that your feedback has been posted on this thread.

Luckily Dhanush sir had posted pictures of his conversion and I had a rough idea of what was being done beforehand. As for "babu" it was reference to a PM. Sorry if misquoted in my context. Unfortunately there are times that I have to trust the workshop's word on their progress as it is not possible to visit it as often as I would like. That being said based on your inputs I will assess the quality and level of work when I visit it again.

Regards,
Barani.
Old 17th November 2012, 15:14   #45
BHPian

These are pictures of RCBT mods on Barani's commander. When I checked it on the NGCS 550, the box is at an inclination to the chassis. Whereas in Barani's jeep it's just straight.

The Gurus can throw more light on this modification.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121117_150517.png
Views: 5307
Size:  311.6 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20121117_150546.png
Views: 5249
Size:  352.6 KB

Most Viewed