Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:03   #1

I've recently become the owner of a unique piece of automotive gear, and having observed the interest shown on this forum for Unimog in general, I thought I would share some images and tales about this awesome creature.

The Mog in question is a 1987 U1150 (series 417) that has been carefully converted to an all seasons camper and tourer. Sporting an OM352 straight 6 diesel at 5.7L capacity, it is rated at 110 horses, although that figure varies somewhat according to altitude, which I'll cover more later.

This particular model is apparently the one on which the Tata 713 is based, although there are significant differences with the suspension and probably the drive train. This Mog has the fully articulating suspension for which they are justly famous, and even a chassis made of spring steel for additional flex... a feature that is apparently no longer available on newer models.

I should point out by now that having only recently become acquainted with this wonderful machine, there are many finer points I am still learning myself, and do not consider myself an expert on Unimog by any means.

Having said that, I am learning fast... My first drive was 8 days overland from Leh to Manali just as the winter was closing in, with several detours along the way, including the most spectacular Tsokar region, where some of these images are taken.

Enough with the preamble... here's some pics:

First camp, somewhere on the banks of the Indus

Bogged already on Day 2!

Coming over Rohtungla just on sunset

Between Pang and Sarchu... it's No Mans Land!

A slightly distorted image due to stitching several images together

Finding a campsite at dusk

Regarding the purchase, as this seems to be of interest to several, I'll cover quickly it's history as this will put into context how I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

This Mog started life as a Mercedes demonstrator model in Germany, and was never registered for first 10 years, and basically had negligible usage. As a result, when the previous owner came across it in 1997, he was not able to register in Europe due to change emission control laws. After completing the conversion, he decided to bring it to India and shipped to Mumbai, where it sat on docks for 10 months before finally being allow to legally import and register here. (still has MH plates).

The Mog did several tours of duty from Pune to Rajastan, across to Nepal, and finally made its way to Ladakh, where its fully insulated camper section was put to good use. (I can testify as to it functionality, as I awoke several mornings to minus 10C and less, down to minus 14C, and still a reasonable 5C, rapidly increasing to 20C plus inside).

The owner managed to get 42,000kms on the clock since new, and then put to rest in Leh, Ladakh... as his interests took him elsewhere. There it sat for 5 years, wrapped up in canvas, with a tin roof and weight off the springs on blocks, until he found out recently it was needed to be moved for a construction project. Via a friend, I heard about his wish to sell it quickly, and as I was already planning to be in Manali, I decided to fly up to Leh to have a look... the rest is recent history. I bought it and drove it back here to Manali, learning everyday more about this incredible beast of a truck.

As can be expected with a 25 year old vehicle, there have been a couple of minor teething issues to deal with... the air line for the 4WD system had a leak and I had to get underneath several time to try in the subzero temps to patch it up. The shocks finally gave out after a particularly nasty patch of highway just out of Keylong... and I'm trying to source a new set of compatible shocks from within India (any suggestions gratefully accepted!)

Other than that, it is a treat to drive, the engine is basically new, very well cared for throughout its life, and the rest is true German engineering thru and thru.

As the question was asked, Yes I own Yak Trak Tours, and plan to use the Mog for expeditions in coming years, but just to be clear, I'm not here to promote myself or business... just the joy of driving in some of the world's greatest landscape, the Indian Himalayas, which has been my passion for over 20 years.

I'll see if I can find some more images to do the Mog justice!

My '87 Unimog U1150-steam-n-ice.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-warming-up.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-morningchill360.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-lahaulimog.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-flightykiang2.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-lachalungla-moggy.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-bigskynoroad.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-moggyoutlook.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-moreyplanes1.jpg

My '87 Unimog U1150-pangcamp.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2012 at 15:50. Reason: Adding your buying experience to the opening post itself
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My '87 Unimog U1150

This is stuff straight out of dream, bitten by wanderlust and a tool to take care of it, plain amazing.

Please post more details about the vehicle and your ownership experience and yes more such images of No Man's lands!
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:27   #3
BHPian

Wow, congratulations!! You seem to have already put the Mog to very good use. The experience of finding and owning this monster will make for some very interesting reading! Was it brought in from Australia? The camper conversion seems to have been carried out quite professionally. Please tell us more!

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 2nd November 2012 at 11:31.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely wonderful, the first Unimog ownership thread on Team-Bhp.
Please share more details about this magnificent beast.

It would be helpful if you could share the details on how you came to acquire the Unimog.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:51   #5
BHPian

I am on my way to Manali, so I can kidnap you and take your unimog as ransom !!!

On a serious note, superb machine, some offroad pics and articulation pics would be great.

Congrats on your acquisition,very few people are so fortunate.

Devansh
spawnofsatan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

So i assume you own yak trak Siddhartha_YT?

How did you get to own the Uni. More details please.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Unimog thats the word i googled and found that it is a german acronym "UNIversal-MOtor-Gerät
looks quite interesting as an alpabet and a product.
please give us more details

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 2nd November 2012 at 13:49.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:03   #8
BHPian

Nice ride , please post more pics and details .

How did you buy it ?

Whats your ownership experience so far ?
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '87 Unimog U1150

Siddharta,

There are 1 in 114 million who are as lucky as you. If there is something worth having in life is a UNIMOG in this state.

It is no wonder that the engine runs smooth after 25 years, it is German engineering at its best.

How this came to India and got registered here is another matter to wonder, but you are one lucky guy, who now owns it and putting it to use it was intended for, in the sub zero temperatures in an insulated vehicle is sheer pleasure.

Very interesting thread which immediately caught my eye, though there are some on the other side of the border belonging to fellow members, it is nice to have one this side too.

Have many safe miles in it.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:26   #10
BHPian

Good lord, of all the things one can stumble upon in Leh wrapped under canvas you stumble upon one of the most coveted and iconic 4x4s! Guess the gift of enlightenment came to you in the form of exquisite German engineering with 4 wheels (4 bardos!) attached to the drivetrain! Next time I'm in those parts, I am certain to go looking under anything covered with canvas. Who knows what it may turn up!

if you are based in main Manali, this one must be a hoot to drive up and down the narrow lanes. Please post more pics from the trips, the Mog seems to have gone down slopes and paths that most of us in 4x4s even dare not venture into out there.

Just one request, if you can, stay clear of driving on the marsh lands this late in the season since they are used for grazing.

Thanks for sharing
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:48   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The queue to buy the mog when you wish to sell her starts right here... behind me!

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2012 at 11:18. Reason: u = you
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:21   #12
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the history of this amazing machine.

Would like to request some interior pictures now.
mitrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:31   #13

I'm beginning to appreciate how fortunate I am, hearing some of the responses here! As requested, I'll post some interior shots, and one with a bit of wheel extension. Unfortunately, the moments when I am using the Mog at its greatest capacities are when I am least able to get the shots.

One of the features that I love about its 4WD capacity is that it runs on compressed air system, and with a simple flick of a knob under the seat, I can turn from 2WD to 4WD to 4WD diff lock instantly, even while moving. This has saved me from embarrassing moments such as crossing an frozen stream with a steep embankment... 4WD was slipping on the ice, so switch on diff lock, shift to low range, and up we go!
Attached Thumbnails
My '87 Unimog U1150-inside01.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-inside02.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-inside03.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-wheel-extension.jpg  

Siddhartha_YT is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for awesome piece of machinery you bought, Unimog has always been my dream machine. I am unable to find a proper scale model of the thing in this country, you got a real piece of it, cool
agspins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Siddharta,

Speechless!

This is a true expedition class vehicle and built for this very purpose.
I can see the thick insulated curtains and the wood paneling on the roof and walls, inbetween must be the filling to keep out side temperatures out, hot or cold.

A no fancy layout of seats turning to beds is totally maintenance free.
Apart from shift on the fly, what is the off white unit behind the drivers seat, mounted on top that looks like a CPU?

It is a dream. I can make a travel plans through YAK TRACK Tours, if you promise that I can live in this for the duration. Half the reason to come is this UNIMOG.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks