Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My '87 Unimog U1150

Siddharta,

You are the one to be jealous with, not only for the vehicle you own but also for the amazing talent you have as a photographer.

We are lucky to be with you on this forum and thanks a lot for sharing this with us.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:44   #17
BANNED

Simply Amazing..!! your luck, and the vehicle Siddhartha.

I was at Zanskar a couple of months ago and I crossed paths with a relatively new Unimog that was driven by its owner across 33 countries and I must say, the awe that the beast emnated was simply beyond words. I m sure it is the same with your Unimog as well.

I will certainly make it a point to see your beast the next time I m in the hills.

Congratulations once again and wish a million happy motoring miles with it. Keep it maintained like new, will ya.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:48   #18
BHPian

If "jealousy" can be so shamelessly displayed it is in this thread! I am a confirmed non believer in fate / destiny but your passion got you this Mother of all 4x4's. To top it all you live in the kind of terrain to which the mog can add beauty.............happy driving
maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 09:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Amazing and the interiors have left me drool You are the forums envy, my friend. Please post more pictures for us to drool over
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 12:02   #20

Someone asked about the control box at the left side behind the drivers seat (which is left side as in Europe)... this is the electrical switching and fuse box... it has both 12 volt and also 220v systems internal, with inverter and solar panel on roof. It used to have a generator system as well, but this has been removed due to too much heat building up in the gennie box. I haven't found I needed the generator as yet, as my 220v requirements are quite minimal. It can be useful for power tools, etc.. but I can use those when I get back to 'civilization'. There is an air purifying system on the roof that I need to look at getting functional again... beats sucking on dust in those hot dry moments with the windows down!
Siddhartha_YT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 14:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Really amazing acquisition. Hope to see more pictures of the region with Unimog in it.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 15:02   #22
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2012 at 15:55.
The King is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th November 2012, 23:43   #23

A few more images of the last tour through Ladakh. There are a couple more of the Tsokar region, as this was my favourite place to pull up for a few nights, then one of the winching set up, using a couple of boulders to try and winch out of a bog I found myself in one morning.

Another is of the 'flight deck', showing the GPS unit on the left, which is hard wired to the laptop and shows realtime location on the mapping system (using a software program called Fugawi). This allows me to zoom into any map loaded on the system, track my route and create waypoints so I can find my way back to any particular spot that I fancy.

And finally a road sign that sums up the reason for the journey...
Attached Thumbnails
My '87 Unimog U1150-camping-out-tsokar.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-roadside-tsokar.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-mog-bog-winching.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-flight-deck-indus.jpg  

My '87 Unimog U1150-timetothink.jpg  

Siddhartha_YT is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 00:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

That is one awesome piece of machinery. Neighbors envy, owner's pride, eh?

How do you maintain this, do you do all the work this machine by yourself?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 11:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but I had to make my jealousy of your vehicle, the drives and the place you are at, known.

Congrats on the good buy, Siddhartha!

Also, thanks for sharing the photos.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 11:50   #26
BANNED

Okay now, I don't want to get teary eyed and all, but I have to say this:

We are here for a blink of an eye. Most people define fulfillment, achievement, and satisfaction in different ways, many materialistically. These are the results of the infamous rat race and "civilization".

The average human lifespan is 70 years. Some people don't even care to garden their yards properly, yet you have the incredible fortune and luck of having to spend so much time with the Mog and one of the most incredible regions of beauty on earth, which has been formed by millions (or more?) of years of earthly engineering (just the history behind the beauty is another hard to digest aspect, can't even imagine visualizing it).

I truly truly envy you. Just the pictures speak thousands of words, I can't even imagine how visiting that part of the world would be if I get to see things myself.

I'm not exactly a nature guy, in fact I think these nature-automobile threads on TBHp are a bit funny, you know, us being automobile fanatics and tree-huggers is kind of ironic.
But I do feel many things in life are taken for granted, especially the soil we walk upon.

BTW, when I was younger, I couldn't even find a remote control Unimog in this damn country (still love it), yet you manage this thing in India!!!

Please do tell us how you get spares/parts/servicing done.

Also do you have any idea how many other unimogs exist in India? Please do share more pictures if you have any, especially the high res pics.

Cheers to you for living your dreams, mentally and spiritually, you must be living in pure nirvana!

Last edited by D33-PAC : 5th November 2012 at 11:53.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Man this is envy stuff. The first thing you ought to do buddy is to tie a "evil eye prevention charm" lol. But seriously you are one lucky guy. Mind sharing the price? Send a pm if you dont want to share it here.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 20:47   #28
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2012 at 10:44.
parimal_vb is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th November 2012, 14:06   #29
BHPian

Awesome Unimog. Congrats. Use the HD Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shocks and springs they are the best in the world.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:02   #30
BHPian

I am jealous Siddhartha. I do believe you have yourself a piece of automotive history. The Unimog has been one of the most fantastic machines ever to doth the mantle of a global explorer. Whats even more fantastic are the pictures you've uploaded.

I do certainly hope the Unimog you will have more stories to tell.

Cheers and happy touring

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks