Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 18:15   #346
BHPian

Re: planning to restore mm550 ngcs 2006 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Better buy restored ones for 2.5 to 3 lacks from north and register it in Hyderabad.
Unless you want to experience the restoration process (many people including me enjoy the process more than end product ) and ready to spend your weekends, week days and what not to finish it which you initially think as a 2 month's project.

In Maharashtra, it costs around 50: to register army disposal 550.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Actually i have in 2010, restored a 1999 mm550 therefore i know what you mean by saying spending weekends at workshop
Due to some un avoidable circumstances i had to sell that in 2012. I thought that would be the end of JEEP thing but you know better. Once bitten you are addicted to it.
I am basically looking for NGCS platform with 5+1 gearbox(ngt 20).
I PLAN TO DO THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS
1. Change the engine to toyota 14b
2. 35 inches tyres
3. most probably SPOA.
4. differential lock at the rear

For this i have decided to purchase the bare mm550 platform.

Thanks and regards
Ashish
P.s : would need your advise as i know you are one of the offloading guru...
Old 1st August 2015, 22:26   #347
BHPian

@ashroy_6 care to share your contact details?
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:51   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
2. 35 inches tyres
3. most probably SPOA.
I am no offroading guru wuru.....
We are working on same above setup but with non NGCS 550 (we wanted more chassis flex)
Tyres and SPOA with folding shackle is already done, bought 14B from Goa last week when i was at RFC and hauled in scorpio back to Poona.
Ordering diff lock in next 10 days as well.

Shubhendra
Old 11th August 2015, 10:38   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply. Actually i have in 2010, restored a 1999 mm550 therefore i know what you mean by saying spending weekends at workshop
Due to some un avoidable circumstances i had to sell that in 2012. I thought that would be the end of JEEP thing but you know better. Once bitten you are addicted to it.
I am basically looking for NGCS platform with 5+1 gearbox(ngt 20).
2. 35 inches tyres
3. most probably SPOA.

For this i have decided to purchase the bare mm550 platform.

Thanks and regards
Ashish
P.s : would need your advise as i know you are one of the offloading guru...
Ashish,

That ngcs on the picture looks like body line is out of shape will be difficult to get the perfect shape. check the chassis also. Are you getting this with valid rc ? without rc you may need to do the complete restoration.

Why 14B?
ngcs stock front axles wont take the load of 35" tyre with 14B. With 35 you have 2 options to fit the tyre spoa or cut the fenders.

5+1 gb means minimum you need NGT530 for that you need to buy BW Manuel TC. To fit that tc you need to change rear diff to centre offset diff. Then you need to increase front drive shaft length and decrease the rear.

Its too complicated.From my little experience with my build My suggestion is get an old thar crde & convert to solid axle.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 11th August 2015 at 10:40.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 10:51   #350
BHPian

5+1 gb means minimum you need NGT530 for that you need to buy BW Manuel TC. To fit that tc you need to change rear diff to centre offset diff. Then you need to increase front drive shaft length and decrease the rear.

Hi, Thanks for the reply
The 2006 model comes with ngt 520 5+1 gearbox if i am not mistaken as a standard fitment....
So i guess i will need not have to change the gearbox.

Well i guess mm550 has DANA 44 axels both front and rear so i am hoping that little carefull driving should'nt break the axles. What i have read is that dana 44 can easily hold tyres size till 35" easily.. I may have to do little research here..

Sir, regarding using 14b i think it makes about 24 kgm torque whereas ngt 520 is rated for around 20 kgm torque. I am sure companies will always add 25-30% as safe margin to any of there components.

Kindly correct me where ever i am wrong.

Thanks once again
ashish

Last edited by ashroy_6 : 11th August 2015 at 11:10.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:58   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well i guess mm550 has DANA 44 axels both front and rear so i am hoping that little carefull driving should'nt break the axles. What i have read is that dana 44 can easily hold tyres size till 35" easily.. I may have to do little research here..
We've all broken a lot of Dana 44 axles with 31, 33 & 35 inch tyres with bigger and heavier engines. The front axles of a stock 550 cant handle tyres more than 31 inchers and torque/weight more than Di turbo.
Quote:
Sir, regarding using 14b i think it makes about 24 kgm torque whereas ngt 520 is rated for around 20 kgm torque. I am sure companies will always add 25-30% as safe margin to any of there components.
I've also seen the NGT520 breaking a lot of times even using the Di Turbo. So, with 14B, it might be more troublesome.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:41   #352
BHPian

Re: MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Shubhendra ji,

I copy pasting Pratheesh's post from Scorpio tread , these are the engines came on Scorpios before M-Hawk

Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS1 – Gear Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – without EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS2 – Gear Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – with EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS1 – Chain Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – without EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS2 – Chain Drive – Non CRDe – no ECU as operated by mechanical fuel pump – with EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.6 BS3 – Chain Drive – CRDe – with ECU – with EGR without EGR cooler.
Scorpio NEF 2.5 L Euro-II - Chain drive- Non CRDe- no ECU as operated by mechaical fuel pump- with EGR
Scorpio NEF 2.5 L Euro-IV - Chain drive- CRDe- with ECU- with EGR and EGR cooler

In C-section I don't know how reliable will be them in competition tracks. Jumps,sudden jump release of clutch etc can damage the chassis so a MDI3200 is the best on a 540/550/CJ500/ jeeps just my thought. On a SWB XD3P , SD25 will be a good choice.

I believe with these engines on jeep one can flore the pedal in offroad competitions without worry, in a budget.

- Sreejesh
Hi Sreejesh,

This EGR which keeps mentioned with various engine models is same as "Exhaust Gas Re-circulation", rite or is it anything different. I have obtained some information from wikipedia about this term and it appears to reduce engine temprature using the re-used gases but with reduction in engine output.

link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

I was thinking that though this method have minor impact on performance, can it be used as a solution to reduce the so often discussed engine over heating problem when we add more load over to engine, along with 4 core / big radiators and additional cooloing fans. My intention is, if we add an air conditioning system [load], it appears to shoot up the running temerature of an XD3P engine as many have updated here in various threads, having this feature will help us or not. Also when I went to a local air conditioning mechanic, he told that they don't do it on XD3P engine.

Requesting advice on this

regards,
winsler
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:48   #353
BHPian

Off Topic but I just acquired a 2006 NGCS MM550 Ex Air Force after selling 4 non-NGCS 2000/2001 MM550s a little over a year ago.
Need some info before venturing on the restoration:
1. I need a fixed windsheild. Will that of Thar CRDe fit ?
2. Will the Thar CRDe canopy be a direct and simple fit ? costs what ?
3. Can I replace the dashboard with that of the Thar DI ?
4. What would be a right position to install a Superking blower for the ac ?
5. Can I install a Bolero GLX PS box easily ?
6. What is the maximum size of a AT or MT to be mounted on the stock rims ? 245R75 16 or 265 ?
Thanks in advance for any helpful infor coming in.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:35   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Installed CV joint. Made by Gowtham. It works super and no steering vibrations in 4WD , steering feels free so more control on Offroad.
Please let me know the cost and contact details. I'm interested.
Old 20th October 2015, 15:33   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead View Post
Need some info before venturing on the restoration:
1. I need a fixed windsheild. Will that of Thar CRDe fit ?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Will the Thar CRDe canopy be a direct and simple fit ? costs what ?
Yes, no idea about cost.

Quote:
3. Can I replace the dashboard with that of the Thar DI ?
Yes. If you want more upmarket feeling , you can fit dashboard of Old bolero as well

Quote:
4. What would be a right position to install a Superking blower for the ac ?
If you can afford to remove glovebox than either that area or use bolero dashboard and use OE blowers.

Quote:
5. Can I install a Bolero GLX PS box easily ?
Yes.

Quote:
6. What is the maximum size of a AT or MT to be mounted on the stock rims ? 245R75 16 or 265 ?
most preferable tyre size 245/75/16. You can use Maxxis BigHorn 764.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th October 2015 at 16:03. Reason: Post edited. Please refrain from posting responses within the quoted post. It is inconvenient to respond to such a post.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 14:26   #356
BHPian

Pics of my recently acquired 2006 NGCS MM550.
Attached Thumbnails
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-wp_20151031_10_14_19_pro1.jpg  

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-wp_20151031_10_15_07_pro1.jpg  

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-wp_20151031_10_15_33_pro1.jpg  

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-wp_20151031_10_15_51_pro1.jpg  

Old 1st November 2015, 16:15   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Current spec , copied Arka's post from 540 wish list with some change.
Hi Sreejesh,

Please let me know which PS did you install in your MM550 and the cost including the pipes, pump, container and bracket?

Last edited by ampere : 1st November 2015 at 16:19. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Old 4th November 2015, 12:07   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Please let me know which PS did you install in your MM550 and the cost including the pipes, pump, container and bracket?
The power steering box/pump/hoses is same as that comes in the NGCS Aramada, Bolero 4WD, and Pick up 4WD. It is made by Rane and costs about 23K for a new one including the mounting bracket for the steering box. For NGCS 550, You just need to unbolt the manual box and bolt the power steering box. You will also need to change the pulley to two slot or three slot if you are planning to fix ac also. The pump and pump bracket can be the OEM from the Bolero DI/Pick up 4WD or the Bolero XD3P 4WD depending on your engine. The complete assembly costs about 35K new plus cost of installation.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 14:40   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
We've all broken a lot of Dana 44 axles with 31, 33 & 35 inch tyres with bigger and heavier engines. The front axles of a stock 550 cant handle tyres more than 31 inchers and torque/weight more than Di turbo.
Aren't all these M&M front axles full-floating? If so, the wheel bearings ride on the spindle (essentially supporting the vehicle's weight) not on the axle itself. So the sole loading on the axle is torsional - and breakage can only be due to more torque (via increased engine output or lower gearing), or to bigger, grippier tyres, NOT engine / vehicle weight.

Rear axles on the 540/550's, etc, are not full-floating, but at the rear, engine weight is hardly a factor (unless you're hauling a replacement DI engine in the back ).

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 4th November 2015 at 14:47.
Old 4th November 2015, 15:07   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
.. So the sole loading on the axle is torsional - and breakage can only be due to more torque (via increased engine output or lower gearing), or to bigger, grippier tyres, NOT engine / vehicle weight.
Hi Eric,

You are right. But then, a heavier engine will mean the axles need to handle more torque.

Essentially, the FAW of an offroad prepped vehicle is much much more higher than stock. Eg: Winch 50kgs, Steel Wheel and Big Tyres 20kgs atleast more each, Power steering Assy, AC, Bull Bar, Lights, Hi Lift Jack on bonnet, etc etc.. Add to that a 150 kgs heavier engine means the FAW has gone up atleast 300kgs.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed