Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 11:12   #46
BHPian

Re: 1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Li

Khan sir looking nice , yet to test it i guess . How is the ride quality compared to OE ones ? What about body roll ?

Tyres look puny now , how much did the kit cost you ?
karizma9292 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 12:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Why do you think injector cleaning will impact the smoothness? Shouldn't that be just remove, clean/calibrate and put back stuff??
Diesel pump tuning is a llot more complicated than Petrol engines IMO

Quote:
As I said, the reason for buying this is different. It is NOT meant to be replacement for Spidey. There is NO WAY that this can do that. I am not into active offroading any more and my needs are different now. So, IFS/No-IFS doesn't matter to me.
Why Sir? Infact this vehicle can take much more abuse and you will be comfortable

Quote:
The RTO tax would be based on the import papers or B-extract of the vehicle. That B-Extract would have all the details that can be used to calculate tax. Let's see. I will share my experiences of paper transfer here. Right now it is still underway -- even after 5 months of me getting this vehicle.

FC will need to be done. That expires (15 years) in April of 2103.

How to rectify that? Someone did tell me that take injectors for calibration and check if all have the same pressure. Can Mr KRISHNAMURTHY also do that part?

If I put in new injectors will the problem go away of existing injectors can be calibrated and used. If new injectors have to be put in, what all other parts also need to be taken into consideration for replacement for ideal setup?
One can fit the entire pump with injectors onto the pressure checking machine and check the feedback too - Please try to oversee the checking calibration if possible.

Quote:
This is how the Prado looks now.
Attachment 1057721
Super and CONGRATULATIONS
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 08:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado

Quote:

Would have bought the Jimny if it was available. No idea when (or if) it will come to India
Congratulations on resisting the temptation of buying something charismatic and Indian made that has no parts inventory support and abominable service...and buying something Japanese made that has no parts inventory support and, likely, abominable service

Seriously, I understand your reasons for trying this and I wish you good luck with it. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Slightly off topic but I saw a blurb on TV a couple of months ago that Suzuki has started selling the Jimny in Red China. There is still a persistent rumor that Jimny will be sold in India by the end of 2013 or so. My question is twofold.

1.) What's the status of the Jimny in India NOW?

2.) Does Maruti voluntarily hold back releasing models so as to NOT compete too aggressively with Indian car makers and thereby raise the ire of Indian protectionist politicians and government big shots?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th March 2013 at 08:50.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 18:25   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
...How is the ride quality compared to OE ones ? What about body roll ?

Tyres look puny now ...
The ride is much much firmer now, handling lot better. However, being a SUV, a SWB one & now with lift, it will have body roll but nothing much to be worried about. I think the experience of driving spidey for long time comes in handy

Tyres are 32" as of now and no plans to go bigger here :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's the status on this? Did you diagnnose the smoke and how was it fixed? What about the pump calibration?
Surprisingly, the smoke has reduced a lot -- a combination of my driving style change + some service aspects on the vehicle in recent past. Driven like a NA diesel, (and not a petrol), it does not smoke.

However, I will be watching this closely and at some point, when I understand a bit more about diesels/pumps etc will try and get this to near perfect state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Diesel pump tuning is a llot more complicated than Petrol engines IMO

One can fit the entire pump with injectors onto the pressure checking machine and check the feedback too - Please try to oversee the checking calibration if possible.
Thanks Vikram. I will be getting to this pump/injector work in some time in future. Am on a learning curve here and slowly understanding diesels.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2013 at 18:28.
Old 10th March 2013, 18:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Whats the update on Paper work Shahnawaz Sir?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 19:19   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Whats the update on Paper work Shahnawaz Sir?
Going on. On track Akshay. And really, a BIG thanks to you for the help.

Quote:
The ironman coils come with marking for the Driver Side & Passenger Side and I did a mistake of not noticing which side went where. That has resulted in the vehicle having a slight drooping to right side, especially at the rear side. Later checked and found that sides were reversed and need to sort that out. Will be done over the next weekend.
Got this rectified this weekend and the Coils are now as how they should have been. The tilt has gone & vehicle stance is a lot lot better.

While the lift kit was being installed last weekend, had noticed that the power steering unit boots were cracked and a leak had started. Ordered the parts (boots & oil seals/repair kit) and promptly they arrived a week later. Got the work done this weekend along with all the gear oil, TC oil, Diff Oil change, Power Steering fluid change.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress.

The steering unit. Was a pain to get this out & took along time. NOtice that the boots are cracked.
1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-steering-rack-old.jpg

The place from where the steering unit was removed.
1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-steering-rack1.jpg

The unit with oil seals changed & new boots. Should hold good for a long time now.

1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-steering-rack-refurbished.jpg

1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-steering-rack.jpg

The diff & transmission oil
1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-transmission-oil.jpg

Oil being changed in one of the diffs
1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-diff-oil.jpg

While removing the steering unit, the skid plates had to be removed. These are made of metal & strengthened at necessary places. Seeing this you can notice how much thought has gone into the engineering of parts. It is a 2 piece plate that covers almost from the front of the vehicle to under the gear box.

1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-skid-plate.jpg

Finally, got the side steps also removed & here is a picture of Prado as it looks today.
1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-lifted.jpg

Also, must say am really happy at the professionalism & attitude of toyota service folks @ Nandi Toyota Bomanahalli. It's really a pleasure dealing with them.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2013 at 19:29.
khan_sultan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 09:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
...and buying something Japanese made that has no parts inventory support and, likely, abominable service
Inventory support and service support seem to be just fine.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 10:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Surprisingly, the smoke has reduced a lot -- a combination of my driving style change + some service aspects on the vehicle in recent past. Driven like a NA diesel, (and not a petrol), it does not smoke.

However, I will be watching this closely and at some point, when I understand a bit more about diesels/pumps etc will try and get this to near perfect state.
Yes, please do monitor this and if you find the root cause and fix it, kindly do share the details. My Tucson didn't smoke much over last 4 years, but we remapped it recently, and I feel I am running a risk of higher smoke now. In my case, the turbo to intercooler pipe had a leak (it's welded for now, but it still may not be perfect). Also, the the air-intake hose (the very first one in the air path - that sucks the air from atmosphere) seems to be aged and one theory is that it may be constricting during heavy engine load no proof of this yet as we don't know how to test this). However, I am going to replace both - the hose and the pipe and then take it from there. I don't like smoke at all and though diesels tend to smoke under heavy load, I want mine to be as perfect as possible, so I am looking to learn from all the sources.

Thanks in advance.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 14:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Its good to know that Toyota will work on a 15 year old vehicle without wale nor whimper nor gnashing of teeth. That's amazing! Getting a compression test on a diesel motor can be a bit daunting because of the much higher compression of diesels but I would try to do this just for peace of mind about the health of the engine. I would also continually monitor the engine oil level for some weeks just to make sure it isn't burning oil. I would also take a good long look at my cooling system to make sure it isn't overheating and I might stress test it just a bit to that end...just my 2 rupees worth of advice.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 15:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a question to the experts.

I noticed that the transfer case of the Prado has an attachment -- a metal holder that contains a molded rubber beading kind of thing. Was wondering what it was, function etc and on searching found that it is a called the Dynamic Damper.

More searching on net showed that people have mentioned that if they don't have this, it causes vibrations, harshness etc. Also, this is a VERY expensive part. Costs around some 400 USD+. YES..!! Just for a piece of molded rubber.

Not able to figure out how it works and how it helps in Damping/reducing vibrations?

The picture below shows the Dynamic Damper (The arrows marked).

1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-tc-balance.jpg

1998 Toyota 90 Series SWB 3 Door Land Cruiser Prado. EDIT: Now with 2" Ironman Lift-swb-prado-tc-guard.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th March 2013 at 15:15.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 09:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^: The Old M800 [flat nose - first one] has a similar kind of engine mount. Try it.

They are made of a special rubber compound that absorb the frequency of vibrations generated by the engine - Whats why they are EXPENSIVE.

You could also try aftermarket mounts from the US aftermarket shops.

Go for PU ones if possible
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 14:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Vibrations

Quote:

Was wondering what it was, function etc and on searching found that it is a called the Dynamic Damper.
Till the experts give their comments, I would like to chip in with the little understanding I have.

You are right, these are known by various names dynamic damper, tuner mass etc. Essentially,the functioning of all these are the same. To tell it in simple terms this component (a spring, mass, damper system in vibration lingo) reduces the vibrations resulting from low amplitude, high excitation frequencies.

That is the most simple explanation, anything further, I will need to bring in some fancy terms like elastomeric bearing, hysterisis, vibration isolation and transmissibility, which will be too much to handle I'm sure. Over to the experts.

BTW, do you have any plans with this part? How did this query arise - anxiousness to know or something else?

Quote:
More searching on net showed that people have mentioned that if they don't have this, it causes vibrations, harshness etc.
They are right.

Quote:
Also, this is a VERY expensive part. Costs around some 400 USD+. YES..!! Just for a piece of molded rubber.
400 USD, you must be joking. If provided with the right tools, Viji can make these for 400+ INR. For reference, a similar part on the Thar costs 514.29 INR (slightly bigger in size). Did you observe this part on the Thar when you did the test drive report?

Quote:
Any idea about the shore hardness values required? Apart from vibrations (which is understood) what can happen if this part is not present?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 13th March 2013 at 14:08.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 14:32   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vibrations

Quote:
...They are made of a special rubber compound that absorb the frequency of vibrations generated by the engine - Whats why they are EXPENSIVE.
Cool. Why is this not present in say a Gypsy? Do MM Jeeps have this?

Quote:
The damper in my vehicle is not broken/needs replacement. I wanted to know how it works/what it is for etc.

But don't you think PU will not absorb vibrations as much as rubber? I have seen PU body mounts and the vibrations/harshness through those are much more than rubber mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
You are right, these are known by various names dynamic damper, tuner mass etc. Essentially,the functioning of all these are the same. To tell it in simple terms this component (a spring, mass, damper system in vibration lingo) reduces the vibrations resulting from low amplitude, high excitation frequencies.
Thanks Spikey. While I get the theory part, how do they work -- can you explain in simple terms (Is it that since this is mounted to the driveline/transmission, hence all the vibrations in that can be routed to this damper) (like they say have lightening copper wire in building)

Quote:
BTW, do you have any plans with this part? How did this query arise - anxiousness to know or something else?
No. No plans. Just curious to what it is, what it does and HOW
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 14:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vibrations

Quote:
..-- a metal holder that contains a molded rubber beading kind of thing. ...
Not clear from the pics, khan_sultan , but it seems to be attached only to the tcase...I would have thought that the other end should be attached also to the chassis. Or, is it going to do the damping just by mass addition ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Till the experts give their comments, I would like to chip in with the little understanding I have ...
, nice way of putting things !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th March 2013 at 14:38.
Old 13th March 2013, 14:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I noticed that the transfer case of the Prado has an attachment -- a metal holder that contains a molded rubber beading kind of thing. Was wondering what it was, function etc and on searching found that it is a called the Dynamic Damper.

More searching on net showed that people have mentioned that if they don't have this, it causes vibrations, harshness etc. Also, this is a VERY expensive part. Costs around some 400 USD+. YES..!! Just for a piece of molded rubber.

Not able to figure out how it works and how it helps in Damping/reducing vibrations?

The picture below shows the Dynamic Damper (The arrows marked).
That is a tuned mass damper and that is why it is so expensive. Trust me it is far from being a simple piece of molded rubber. I'm sure the weight of the rubber piece will be controlled within milligrams for it to function properly.

Quote:
A tuned mass damper, also known as a harmonic absorber, is a device mounted in structures to reduce the amplitude of mechanical vibrations. Their application can prevent discomfort, damage, or outright structural failure. They are frequently used in power transmission, automobiles, and buildings.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_mass_damper

Last edited by vikram_d : 13th March 2013 at 15:01.
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed