Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 21:15   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by parag.agrawal View Post
Came across a fully wrapped Xenon XT today near Kharghar.
Looking at the type of wrap, and the LHD + 4x4 part, this one quite likely headed to this docks for export. A test vehicle would have different type of wrap. And this one has alloys, too !

Last edited by condor : 27th March 2018 at 21:17.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 16:16   #92
BHPian

Just finished a well over 8000 Kilometers journey on the Xenon. From Mangalore to Leh-Ladakh and back. Was an amazing experience.

The whole point of the journey was not to stay at any hotels or even to eat at one. The xenon was our home for 11 days. We cooked our own food on a portable gas stove. We camped in the xenon at scenic spots. Had a great time waking up to beautiful views all along our way.

We were two drivers who took turns driving the xenon every three hours. We removed the rear seats so we could have enough luggage space to put keep in stuff like cameras etc. At night, we just reclined the seat and had a comfortable nights sleep. Although we did have tents and sleeping bag. setting it up was a big hassle.

We needed roughly about 750 Litres of Diesel. The Aircon was on all throughout the journey.

The xenon served well throughout the journey, not a single squeak. she never gave us any trouble at all and we completed the journey safely.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience-img_7890.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience-img_20180606_103211.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT (EX 4X4) - Ownership Experience-img_20180606_103256.jpg  

Last edited by yamaniac : 11th August 2018 at 16:22.
yamaniac is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 01:57   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Just finished a well over 8000 Kilometers journey on the Xenon. From Mangalore to Leh-Ladakh and back. Was an amazing experience.
Fantastic news and a reassuring one considering that there are so many negative comments about Tata's reliability. Between the Xenon and the V-Cross I like the overall looks of the Xenon more due to the lesser rear overhang on the Xenon. The rear of the v-cross looks too commercial. But I think Tata is no longer selling the Xenon to private owners. Bhpian Senhero had a hard time getting his Xenon registered with white plates last year.
Sorry for diverting, please do post a full fledged travelogue. I can promise I will be the first one to go through it
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 09:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:

The whole point of the journey was not to stay at any hotels or even to eat at one. The xenon was our home for 11 days. We cooked our own food on a portable gas stove. We camped in the xenon at scenic spots. Had a great time waking up to beautiful views all along our way.

The xenon served well throughout the journey, not a single squeak. she never gave us any trouble at all and we completed the journey safely.
Wow. 11 days of sheer adventure in a Xenon. When are we going to get a detailed write up about this adventure ?

With that kind of wheels and the proven 3 liter Engine, it would have been almost effortless for your Xenon. But driving 8000 km in 11 days and sleeping in the car is what makes this trip truly adventurous. Great Job !
Prowler is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 10:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The whole point of the journey was not to stay at any hotels or even to eat at one.
Awesome, there are not many xenon stories around about such long distance travels and yours is a unique one. Although I think it may not be really very comfortable to continuously sleep on the recliner seats inside the vehicle for such no of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
But I think Tata is no longer selling the Xenon to private owners. Bhpian Senhero had a hard time getting his Xenon registered with white plates last year.
Even when it was selling there was not much of interest from TATA to sell the product to Indian customers. It was probably the only and closest Indian rendition of the Hilux and could ve been a trend setter before Vcross was introduced in the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
With that kind of wheels and the proven 3 liter Engine, it would have been almost effortless for your Xenon. But driving 8000 km in 11 days and sleeping in the car is what makes this trip truly adventurous. Great Job !
If I am not wrong the XT has the 2.2 Dicor engine as the Safari.
Kandisa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 11:32   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
If I am not wrong the XT has the 2.2 Dicor engine as the Safari.
EDIT: apologies for the back to back post, just went through the previous pages of the thread, it is 3L indeed.
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Bhpian Senhero had a hard time getting his Xenon registered with white plates last year.

He owns a 3.0L so he had issues registering it as a privet car.

I had sent him registration copy of my XT, after showing it to local authority he was able to register it as a white board car. (donk ask me how)
jeepster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:26   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a 207 / Telcoline , pre-2006. ( the IDI engine version). Any leads please let me know. FC should be valid.
Old 1st November 2020, 18:32   #99
BHPian

Hi everyone... Sorry for the late post but considering the love for pickups, off roading and camping is at an all time high and growing, posting my ownership experience and general suggestions for people considering buying a Xenon..

I bought a Xenon XT 2.2VTT 4x4 last Jan and it's almost 2 years now... I bought the car in pretty bad cosmetic shape but decent mechanical condition... Considering how rare it is to find a 2.2 4x4 these days I only found 3-4 cars around India for sale.. None in South India because back in the day they were not available in white board here.. So I found one in my budget but the truck was in Nagaland... I took a risk and paid him 5k advance without seeing the car in person and checking it.. Long story, short, had to fly up to Dimapur and meet the guy.. Stay there for 10 days, get documentation done and find a guy to transport it to Bangalore.. Finally drove it to Guwahati and put it in a trailer truck.. The car landed here after 25 days.. The wait was painful..

All the cosmetics were in bad shape so I started my shopping of the below items:
Dashboard center console
A/c switch panel -2.5k
A/c vents - 3k
IRVM - 800
ORVMs - 9k
4x4 switch - 500
Headlight height adjuster switch - 400
Combination switch - 1100
Steering wheel - 4.5k
Gear knob - 300
Gear shifter rod leather cover - 450
Cabin air vents - 1600
Sun shades - 800
All 6 glasses (windshield, 4 windows, rear glass) - 8k
Pedal rubbers - 300
A/c control cables - 600
Cigarette lighter - 1200
Ashtray - 700
Power window switches - 600
Door pad rubbers - 250
Door beadings (all 4) - 3k
Windows channels and beadings - 2.5k
Rain visors - 1000
Antenna with wiring - 600
Fog lights + fibre casing - 2k
Reverse lights - 1600
Rubber foot mats - 1200
Music system - 5k
Reverse cam + Screen - 7k
Speakers - 4k
Under seat Subwoofer with built in amp - 6k
Upholstery - 8k

All this work cost me close to 1.75 lacs including labour

Now coming to mechanical work:
Rear pickup bed door - 7k
Door hanging steel cables - 300
Roll bar - 4k
Tinkering + painting almost the whole car - 20k
Replaced front and rear LSD - 9k
Brake rotors + pads + rear shoes - 10k
Tie rod ends - 3k
Lower ball joints - 4k
Rear leaf springs - 7k
Bike loading ramp - 8k
Tie down eyes - 5k
Drive shafts rebuild - 8k

The biggest mistake I did was buying the 17" off road rims with 235/65/17 A/T tires. Firstly the offset was so much, they touched the bumpers and wheel arches which I had to cut... Secondly the tire profile was low so i had to run higher tire pressure making the ride bumpy... Thirdly, due to the offset, the lower arms, upper arms, ball joints, link rods and stabiliser bar took a massive beating...
In the 14 months I used those wheels and tires, i replaced the lower arms which had cracked, twice.. The link rods, upper arms and bushes were changed 4 times.. The stabiliser bar was bent out of shape twice.. Due to the heavy stress and bent lower arms i even changed the tires twice.. I had to get rid of them and get a reliable setup since this was supposed to be a daily driver and for race bike transportation to different cities...

During all this the clutch wore out and the 4x4 motor packed up.. Add another 30k to the shopping bill without labour..

After parking the truck during lockdown and saving up, finally got down to buying new 15" alloys with Kenda 31x10.5x15 A/T tires... The OE tires are 27.9 inches tall.. So these automatically increased ride height by 3 inches.. and instantly the cushioning was great, and the ride was comfy.. Got down to changing the clutch and 4x4 motor last week as well..

Though the initial pickup is slightly reduced due to taller tires, a little work on the turbo downpipe and a muffler delete for the slight rumble makes up for it.. Finally after almost 2 years of running around, really happy with the way its turned out.. will attach all pics in my next post..

Coming to the ownership experience, a lot of people, like me thought that the 4x4 would be better to own than the 4x2.. Unless you're doing hard core off roading, you really can't use 4 wheel drive on tarmac roads... (Read up on drive shaft binding)
I've never switched it on till date even in moderate off road conditions.. The rear wheel drive and engine torque is more than enough to carry loads and do adventure trails or forest exploration.. Also, the front diff and transfer case and drive shafts add close to 100-150 kgs to the truck, reducing power and fuel efficiency... So personal suggestion would be, if you're looking for 90% road and 10% off road, get a 4x2 and you'll be much better off.. signing off for now.. cheers ✌🏼
speedfreak7116 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Hi everyone... Sorry for the late post but considering the love for pickups, off roading and camping is at an all time high and growing, posting my ownership experience and general suggestions for people considering buying a Xenon..

I bought a Xenon XT 2.2VTT 4x4 last Jan and it's almost 2 years now... I bought the car in pretty bad cosmetic shape but decent mechanical condition... Considering how rare it is to find a 2.2 4x4 these days I only found 3-4 cars around India for sale.. None in South India because back in the day they were not available in white board here.. So I found one in my budget but the truck was in Nagaland... I took a risk and paid him 5k advance without seeing the car in person and checking it.. Long story, short, had to fly up to Dimapur and meet the guy.. Stay there for 10 days, get documentation done and find a guy to transport it to Bangalore.. Finally drove it to Guwahati and put it in a trailer truck.. The car landed here after 25 days.. The wait was painful..
Thanks for sharing about your experience. It does seem like you had a hell of a ride. Can you please share the year of make and how many kilometers was the Xenon run when you made the purchase. My Xenon XT 2.2 4X4 has completed 9.5yrs and 1.4 Lakhs Kms so far and I haven't had to change any of those cabin related stuff you have listed above. I have only changed the clutch plates (twice), clutch cylinder (once), leaf springs (once), ball joints, and discs (once). I use off-roading for at least 25-30% of my overall drive and 4X4 has been used at least on 10-15% of the drive. No one uses 4X4 all the time, but just those few times are critical to get the work done. You can use 4X4 H mode on tarmac during rainy season so that the vehicle doesn't skid or have a tail spin.

It appears the vehicle you picked up was abused extensively and not maintained. Oversized tyre upgrade are never advised and will have an impact on the components. Most professional upgrades will also mean upgrading upper and lower arms, bearings, stabilizer bars, etc. You should have gone of 2" lift kit before upgrading to 17" tyres.

Mod Note -
No discussion about specific car brand WhatsApp groups please.
Please trim the quoted part when replying to a post.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st November 2020 at 17:46. Reason: Mod note attached.
Pardus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 18:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Thanks for sharing about your experience. It does seem like you had a hell of a ride. Can you please share the year of make and how many kilometers was the Xenon run when you made the purchase. My Xenon XT 2.2 4X4 has completed 9.5yrs and 1.4 Lakhs Kms so far and I haven't had to change any of those cabin related stuff you have listed above. I have only changed the clutch plates (twice), clutch cylinder (once), leaf springs (once), ball joints, and discs (once). I use off-roading for at least 25-30% of my overall drive and 4X4 has been used at least on 10-15% of the drive. No one uses 4X4 all the time, but just those few times are critical to get the work done. You can use 4X4 H mode on tarmac during rainy season so that the vehicle doesn't skid or have a tail spin.

It appears the vehicle you picked up was abused extensively and not maintained. Oversized tyre upgrade are never advised and will have an impact on the components. Most professional upgrades will also mean upgrading upper and lower arms, bearings, stabilizer bars, etc. You should have gone of 2" lift kit before upgrading to 17" tyres.
Yes. The previous owner had used it like a proper truck rather than a lifestyle pickup which it is supposed to be ��
He was constructing a house and had used it to transport the required raw materials. Also since mods and accessories shops are almost close to none in the remote village in Nagaland, he had cut out the a/c vents and dashboard to accomodate a double din entertainment unit. Lol
When I bought the car, it had done 92,000kms, so the clutch was way past it's life already. And on those roads which hardly had one km of tarmac, he always ran it on 4H. Hence I'm guessing the LSDs were worn out as well.
I have been looking for upgradable suspensions, lower and upper arms since day one. But nobody seems to have anything for the Xenon. Would be great if you could put me in touch. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st November 2020 at 17:42. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
speedfreak7116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 00:13   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post

I am an original owner of a Xenon XT 4x4, 2013 model. I have posted my posts and a few pics of the vehicle.

I agree that this particular vehicle seems to have been badly misused by the previous owner. My xenon is 7 years old, done about 60k kms. I have used it mostly for long haul trips across the country lugging an old army surplus trailer that i modified, my dogs and my bicycles.

regards

Arvindhan
Lt Col

Last edited by Sheel : 21st November 2020 at 17:44. Reason: Quoted post is edited. No discussion about WhatsApp groups please.
rosewarrior_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 20:34   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post
I am sorry, but I don't know how to PM another member here. Could someone please tell me how to contact another member one on one?
The PM feature will be enabled for you once you complete 25 approved postings. Till then please use regular post. You could check on the other member's profile if you can send a mail to his personal mail box (if he has enabled it)
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:08   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post
I am an original owner of a Xenon XT 4x4, 2013 model. I have posted my posts and a few pics of the vehicle.

I agree that this particular vehicle seems to have been badly misused by the previous owner. My xenon is 7 years old, done about 60k kms. I have used it mostly for long haul trips across the country lugging an old army surplus trailer that i modified, my dogs and my bicycles.

regards

Arvindhan
Lt Col
Sir how did you get permission to haul a trailer? Would like to know the process and get one for my truck as well.
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Sir how did you get permission to haul a trailer? Would like to know the process and get one for my truck as well.
As of now, no permission. Like someone above mentioned, in the North, trailers are pretty common. I have not faced any problems with the traffic cops so far. But yes, I am also looking for a way to register my trailer.
rosewarrior_101 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks