Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 13:30   #451
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Thanks for the advise desertfox. I didnt know that mahindra was also offering a hardtop, that would be great but veryy expensive I think, what should I search the pune hardtop as? Do you mean the hyderabad onr by mistake?
Old 24th December 2013, 13:04   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu88 View Post
Thanks Manveet sir, went through the thread and found out, been calling performance auto on 0120-4240000 and 0120-4240400 but no one answers, is there any other way to get in touch with them??? Thanks again
Try Parvinder Chawla aka Poddy at 8860924952. You may give my reference.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 16:57   #453
BHPian

Thanks Manveet sir, got in touch with him and hes just forwarding the details to me. Thanks again.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:54   #454
BHPian

Re: Rear Innova Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Conceptually this is a good mod, with some inherent Pros and Cons.

Hi Manveet...I took inspiration from your post (and nitin_80) and got a similar pair of rear seats. As expected and as you had also suggested in your posts the metal road couldn't take the load too long and gave way. Have you found a better solution to this? I found this image somewhere where the stand looks sturdier than the rods that we have on our contraptions. Any idea what this could be?

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2013062500143.jpg
Old 13th January 2014, 15:48   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red herring View Post
Hi Manveet...I took inspiration from your post (and nitin_80) and got a similar pair of rear seats. As expected and as you had also suggested in your posts the metal road couldn't take the load too long and gave way. Have you found a better solution to this? I found this image somewhere where the stand looks sturdier than the rods that we have on our contraptions. Any idea what this could be?

Attachment 1188904
This guy has got some good stuff done. Note the rubber damping on the rear tail door and rear cabin floor. Any more pictures of this Thar?

On the seats, this guy's folding mechanism comes down and fits (maybe using some kind of locking bracket) on the sides of an H shaped member screwed to the floor. Better than what my pictures showed, especially from a rigidity standpoint. I know of at least half a dozen people who have referred to this thread and got the same seat setup from the same vendor in Mayapuri. And some have even improvised like this chap seems to have done. I just wish that they could contribute back to this forum for all to benefit.

Regarding my seats, I changed my setup a few months ago. Am using a front facing single seat bench that fits in between the wheel wells and folds forward and flips up to create space in the rear cabin. Guess some updates are due on this thread along with more photos. I will do that after my next set of mods sometime end January as I have not been able to give the Jeep any time at all past few months due to my personal commitments.

Will be in Pune 24th to 26th January. Anybody wanting to meet-up can drop me a line. Would be fun to share Jeep stories. Will be visiting Pune after 10 years - did my engineering from there - best days of my life .

Also, in an interesting development, got a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. So hope to shoot and put up some nice POV videos.

Last edited by manveet : 13th January 2014 at 15:49.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:05   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
This guy has got some good stuff done. Note the rubber damping on the rear tail door and rear cabin floor. Any more pictures of this Thar?

On the seats, this guy's folding mechanism comes down and fits (maybe using some kind of locking bracket) on the sides of an H shaped member screwed to the floor. Better than what my pictures showed, especially from a rigidity standpoint. I know of at least half a dozen people who have referred to this thread and got the same seat setup from the same vendor in Mayapuri. And some have even improvised like this chap seems to have done. I just wish that they could contribute back to this forum for all to benefit.

Regarding my seats, I changed my setup a few months ago. Am using a front facing single seat bench that fits in between the wheel wells and folds forward and flips up to create space in the rear cabin. Guess some updates are due on this thread along with more photos. I will do that after my next set of mods sometime end January as I have not been able to give the Jeep any time at all past few months due to my personal commitments.

Will be in Pune 24th to 26th January. Anybody wanting to meet-up can drop me a line. Would be fun to share Jeep stories. Will be visiting Pune after 10 years - did my engineering from there - best days of my life .

Also, in an interesting development, got a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. So hope to shoot and put up some nice POV videos.
Hi Manveet...thanks for your reply and thanks for bringing some fine things to my notice. Now when I look closely I am able to understand a little the purpose/structure of the H shaped member. It mimics the latches which are there in the innova floor - see the image below.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-innova.jpg

He's not discarded the folding flaps which are there under the original innova seats ( and not there in your seats ). These flaps have hooks which latch onto the H member just like they do in the original innova mechanism. Also if you see closely the bottom cushioning of the seats cuts across the wheel arch ( the longer the contraption connecting the bottom of the seat to the floor the less sturdy it is) unlike ours which sit completely on the wheel arch and are attached to the improvised metal member attached to the arch.

I got these images from the catalogue of new mars auto. Not sure if Prabhu will divulge out the 'trade secrets' but will ask him nonetheless.
red herring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:39   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manveet...thanks for your reply and thanks for bringing some fine things to my notice. Now when I look closely I am able to understand a little the purpose/structure of the H shaped member. It mimics the latches which are there in the innova floor - see the image below.

Attachment 1190050

He's not discarded the folding flaps which are there under the original innova seats ( and not there in your seats ). These flaps have hooks which latch onto the H member just like they do in the original innova mechanism. Also if you see closely the bottom cushioning of the seats cuts across the wheel arch ( the longer the contraption connecting the bottom of the seat to the floor the less sturdy it is) unlike ours which sit completely on the wheel arch and are attached to the improvised metal member attached to the arch.

I got these images from the catalogue of new mars auto. Not sure if Prabhu will divulge out the 'trade secrets' but will ask him nonetheless.

Finishing nonetheless, these seats are too high. The new setup I have is better . Will post pictures the weekend after my Mumbai Pune visit i.e. around 2nd Feb types.

Do ask him about what product he has used for damping. AFAIK it is a rubber polymer spray which is sometimes used in the underbody.
Old 14th January 2014, 11:02   #458
BHPian

Hate the break this thread on the seats.. but any idea if there is any major impact if i remove the CAT/resonator of the thar. Also would appreciate it if anyone could guide me on..
1. Turbo Timer installation (since the thar comes with immobilisers so i dont know if this is possible)
2. Blowoff valve installation.

thanks..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2014010601045.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2014010601044.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img2013122600977.jpg  

Old 14th January 2014, 11:41   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manveet...I took inspiration from your post (and nitin_80) and got a similar pair of rear seats.
==========
Attachment 1188904
Any information on what is the head room advantage in this setup ?
Old 14th January 2014, 12:16   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
Any information on what is the head room advantage in this setup ?
if you are talking about what Manveet and nitin_80 have done there is no direct headroom advantage as compared to the stock benches since they are of the same height however there is significant leg room improvement which can allow you to slouch on the seat and avoid hitting your head on the ceiling. Someone taller than 5'10" will end up rubbing his head on the ceiling even with these seats. The image that I pasted gives you further 2-2.5 inches of advantage since the seat does not sit on the arch.
red herring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 15:27   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you are talking about what Manveet and nitin_80 have done there is no direct headroom advantage as compared to the stock benches since they are of the same height however there is significant leg room improvement which can allow you to slouch on the seat and avoid hitting your head on the ceiling. Someone taller than 5'10" will end up rubbing his head on the ceiling even with these seats. The image that I pasted gives you further 2-2.5 inches of advantage since the seat does not sit on the arch.
OMG, I just noticed. In the pic you sent the seat is not sitting on the wheel well because apparently the wheel well has been chopped to fit the seats and not vice versa.

If that is the case then this is a terrible mod job.
Old 15th January 2014, 10:21   #462
BHPian

I recently removed the resonator/CAT on my thar crde and put a straight through pipe instead. I noticed an immediate increase in the throttle response and the engine pulled much better at higher revs than before, anyone else tried out this mod? If so would love to hear about your experience. Also if there is a chance of any kind of damage, please put forward your thoughts as it is quite important to know the cons of doing this.

The noise level did go up a bit, sounds like a Di now but still within limits and quite tolerable as most exhaust impulses are taken up by the turbo itself. Since this is a turbo I reckon that I can get away with this mod since I do not require any back pressure unlike a naturally aspirated engine.. or maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated ? or should I just go back to stock ?
Old 15th January 2014, 12:23   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329 View Post
I recently removed the resonator/CAT on my thar crde and put a straight through pipe instead. I noticed an immediate increase in the throttle response and the engine pulled much better at higher revs than before, anyone else tried out this mod? If so would love to hear about your experience. Also if there is a chance of any kind of damage, please put forward your thoughts as it is quite important to know the cons of doing this.

The noise level did go up a bit, sounds like a Di now but still within limits and quite tolerable as most exhaust impulses are taken up by the turbo itself. Since this is a turbo I reckon that I can get away with this mod since I do not require any back pressure unlike a naturally aspirated engine.. or maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated ? or should I just go back to stock ?
Put it back. Its not a drag racer. Back pressure is necessary,esp at low RPMs as it helps in torque. If you are going to be off roading, its always better to stay stock. The throttle response increase with a straight pipe is marginal. You feel it because of the sound.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:02   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Put it back. Its not a drag racer. Back pressure is necessary,esp at low RPMs as it helps in torque. If you are going to be off roading, its always better to stay stock. The throttle response increase with a straight pipe is marginal. You feel it because of the sound.
noted.. but i did feel an increase in the low and mid range..i could do better pulls on 2nd that i never could before.. as for offroading - yes you are right.. might end up running hot and have heating issues..

so it goes back on then... or maybe.. try a magnaflow....hmmmmm...
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:54   #465

Hi Abhimanyu, I bought the Thar around the same time as yours. Are you planning on getting a Hard top? I live in Chandigarh and visit Delhi(dwarka) very often. So if you you know about a good place in Delhi where i can get a hard top?

Your thar looks amazing by the way.

Most Viewed