Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 08:53   #526
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

This is the only external roll cage I have seen for the Thar. Looks quite hideous. And it seems to bolted on to the foot board.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...age-4x4-4.html

Better option would be to go for an internal roll cage with a roof rack.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2014 at 20:00. Reason: Post edited - spacing.
Old 8th September 2014, 12:41   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - dude, you are exactly living my dream. My Thar would have only 3 differences to yours. It will be black. It will have half rally style body with rollover bars. It will not have negative offset wheels. Except for these three things, you are living my dream, so thanks! .

On spare wheel mounting position, I almost landed up doing the same "technical desi juggad". "As per rules" (you know which rules), the full area of the tail light rectangle must ve visible to a guy standing 5 meters away from the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees to the center line. As I had used the MM540 army bracket as it is, the 235/70R16 tire met this regulation by a whisker, otherwise "my juggad, same as yours" was ready to move the tire slightly to the LH side to meet the regulation! Small world eh? .

On snorkel, if water goes in the engine, it will bend the connecting rods and wreck the engine. So having one is better than not having one. Having one is very easy. Having a technically "really sealed" one is extremely difficult. Power delivery will be same as long as the pressure drop across the air intake system is maintained. Unfortunately, there are more "appearance snorkels" than real ones in the market out there, where I have experienced power drop. Be careful how you spend your money (buzz - there is a very simple way to "passively snorkel" the Thar CRDe, try and guess what it is, I'll tell you shortly).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr Behram,

Thank you for all the gems you have shared here. it has helped me a green horn tremendously.
Unsure of the posting protocol. Apologies Manveet if i intruded into you post.

Would like to know what either of you think of fitting the snorkel. I am to take delivery of my Thar in Oct 2014. and was keen to fit the snorkel. Also was thinking of getting it down through the dealer here in Mumbai.

My doubts
1. Is it a good Idea to fit the snorkel from the Mahindra Guys. ( my thinking was since they would know the jeep best and any screw ups can be accounted for)
2. What are things i need to look out for while fitting. - How does one go about making sure they don't cut corners .. like i read someplace here to watch out for how the piping ( not sure thatz the right word) is done & that it is not just Hose pipes but a steel one and also routing it.

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you gentlemen for all the informative gems you have been dropping here. if you could pls help out or point me in the right direction/tread.
Much appreciate your time
Old 8th September 2014, 20:49   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Update on the windshield project : I have asked around and eventually perished the thought. Too many rattles and water leakage issues.

Update on the seats. .. A couple of people have been asking me over messages about my Innova seats and I somehow missed replying. My apologies. So I have sold off the seats and gone in for the Qualis second row two-seater. Wasted some money and time on the seats but overall this finally looks good enough to stay. Just some inbuilt rattles that I need to get sorted.

Work to be sorted out this month ..
  • Move the front speakers away from the door and on small boxes fixed to the rear wheel wells. The components will go on the B-pillar.
  • Front tow-hooks welded to the chassis that will come out through slits in the front bumper.
  • Pintle hook for the rear. This would get bolted to a plate which would then bolt onto the chassis. Just cannot find pintle hooks that plug and play directly into the 4 holes provided in the Thar for this purpose. So some people have been using just 2 bolts and others welding, but I have been told that the plate method is by far the most effective & functional

I recently went on an out-of-town OTR to Corbett with my wife with a bunch of like-minded couples. And this was where it became evident where a nicely modded Thar truly shines. You can drive it 250 kms to a location and then pretty much beat the shit out of it, and then comfortably drive it 250 kms home.

All the Fortuner's, LR's, Scorpio's, Gypsy's lose out in one or the other of both areas.

A few pics for time-pass ..

Attachment 1139401
Attachment 1139402
Attachment 1139403
Hi Manveet,
Ever since i booked by THAR, have been spending all my time on your thread... Awesome effort and truly a great Jeep... ( ya i remember how you did not wanna mention Thar when ppl asked you if it was a JEEP..hahahah )
Quick question - Love the BIG Thick Antenna you are sporting here. Does it really help. Irrespective I am gonna get one (or more ;-/). are they called something specific?..
Now going back to reading the rest of your thread.. thanx mate
Old 9th September 2014, 13:06   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
I will go through their catalogue. Thanks.
==========
And by the way sorry if I've hijacked this thread.
Hi folks,

Is PDI ( Pre delivery inspection ). is it a norn, i have booked My thar to be delivered in the 2rd week of OCT 2014,

Would anybody here pls help on this brake debate, do the new models come with it or do we have have to upgrade it.

Any word this is appreciated.. thanx

Anoop
Old 9th September 2014, 13:13   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimanyu88 View Post
Hi, I am new to Team-Bhp and have also recently bought a new Mahindra thar. I got the tires changed as soon as I got it out of the showroom and then sent it for modifications. I am happy with my vehicle and very very fond of it. Posting a picture of it, please give me recommendations on what more I can get done on it except a hard-top.

Thank you
Hi Abhimanyu,

congrats on your jeep... love the way your tyres look ( more pic would be great ). What size are your tyres .. details would be great. love your front antenna if thatz what they are.

Have fun with your jeep.

thanx
Anoop
Bigmananoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:44   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmananoop View Post
Hi folks,

Is PDI ( Pre delivery inspection ). is it a norn, i have booked My thar to be delivered in the 2rd week of OCT 2014,

Would anybody here pls help on this brake debate, do the new models come with it or do we have have to upgrade it.

Any word this is appreciated.. thanx

Anoop
The brakes were updated back in September 2013. I find that the braking performance is now acceptable although it isn't the best out there. Don't be worried about the brakes, they are not bad. Once you get the vehicle, if you feel a need to improve it, then further upgrades are documented on this forum.

You will find more details regarding PDI here,
http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-d...pdi-check-list
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 22:22   #532
Senior - BHPian

In an OTR 10 days back, I have no idea when or how, but somehow the fins on plastic fan in engine bay snapped, hit the radiator and maybe someplace else as well. Quite surprising considering that it was a pretty intermediate OTR and I don't remember any particular hard impact.

Anyhow, net net I have replaced the fan, radiator and water pump. Also got the Jeep serviced - had been over 6 months - replaced engine oil, diesel filter, gear oil also (I think) plus cleaned out some water in the front differential - everything at the ASC.

Two pics from the said OTR ...

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140831_081840-2.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140831_081854-copy.jpg
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 22:52   #533
BHPian

[quote=manveet;3528057]In an OTR 10 days back, I have no idea when or how, but somehow the fins on plastic fan in engine bay snapped, hit the radiator and maybe someplace else as well.

Hi Manveet, did you indulge in any water fording? Water hitting the fan is likely to cause damage similar to ,or even worse than what you described above.
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 23:00   #534
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Bump-Stop;3528087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
In an OTR 10 days back, I have no idea when or how, but somehow the fins on plastic fan in engine bay snapped, hit the radiator and maybe someplace else as well.

Hi Manveet, did you indulge in any water fording? Water hitting the fan is likely to cause damage similar to ,or even worse than what you described above.
Yes, infact I did. Please elaborate a bit on the science behind this. And whats the best way to avoid something like this from happening. . Will be much appreciated.

There a few other Thar's that indulged in the same but apparently didn't suffer any damage. I vaguely remembered reading something about water causing the fan to snap and that was there in my subconscious but I didn't think too much about until now when you have mentioned it.
Reason being that there was a significant time gap between when I did water fording and when the Jeep started overheating and losing power during which I did quite a few steep ascents and descents. So didn't think that the water fording and damages were related.

Last edited by manveet : 9th September 2014 at 23:01.
Old 9th September 2014, 23:04   #535

[quote=manveet;3528057]In an OTR 10 days back, I have no idea when or how, but somehow the fins on plastic fan in engine bay snapped, hit the radiator and maybe someplace else as well. Quite surprising considering that it was a pretty intermediate OTR and I don't remember any particular hard impact.

Hi Manveet,

The Jeep looks awesome ... are you using the ARC Suspensions ??
Old 9th September 2014, 23:49   #536
BHPian

[quote=manveet;3528094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post

Yes, infact I did. [u].
As you know, the radiator fan, which is situated right behind the radiator, is very efficient at pulling air through the radiator, and rotates at a high speed.

However this exerts an equal but opposite pushing force (thrust) against the bearing to which it is secured. Should this fan instead meet up with water (which is a lot more denser than air), this thrust against the bearing is greatly amplified, and this causes the fan blades to either bend or rip off from the housing and propelled forward damaging the radiator.

Most people do one or all of the following to avoid this during water fording:

1. Remove or loosen the fan belt before fording, thus rendering the fan stationary during the period of water fording.

2. Replace the mechanical fan with an electric one, and install a cutoff switch , that you can be switched on/off from the driver's position. Also a "clutched" mechanical fan would also slow down to a complete stop on hitting water. I am not sure if the Thar is already fitted with one of these, and if so you may want to check out the clutch mechanism.

3. Secure / wrap a large canvas or tarpaulin all around the front end to minimise direct impact of the water hitting the fan.

4. Enter the water slowly and once in try to maintain a constant bow wave ahead of the vehicle.

The other Thars may have taken one of the above measures or gotten plain and simple lucky to have escaped without any damage.

Hope this clarifies a little

Regards
Ronnie.
Bump-Stop is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 20:07   #537

Dear,Manveet
Just wanted to know how's your hard top doing in rains.
As i am using the same Performance HT,water leaks from it during heavy rains,do you get the same problem,if yes have you fixed it and how?
Thank you!
Old 1st October 2014, 11:59   #538

Needed to know when mahindra dealer invoices ... do they invoice against a particular vehicle, asking cause wanted to do a PDI before i take delivery .. and remember reading here ..nothing can be done once the vehicle in invoiced.

Background - had booked a month back for delivery on 20th Oct, applied for a loan. which was also approved. today they called to Invoice. therefore the question.

can anybody pls throw light on this process... greatly appreciate the effort . thanx a ton
Old 16th October 2014, 22:24   #539
Senior - BHPian

A Thar is a softroader with a fording depth capability of just about 12 inches of water. If pushed beyond that all kind of failures like this radiator fan blades damaged or serious electrical system failures are highly probable.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:40   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
A Thar is a softroader with a fording depth capability of just about 12 inches of water. If pushed beyond that all kind of failures like this radiator fan blades damaged or serious electrical system failures are highly probable.
Is this confirmed by Mahindra?
The air intake is near the right headlight, and there are hardly any electronics below the air intake.

Most Viewed