Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 17:18   #556
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Appreciate any inputs on this. Does anyone know the dimensions of the torsion bars (length and diameter)?
has anyone installed torsion key?
Old 19th May 2015, 15:11   #557
Senior - BHPian

From my second post on this thread ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
I was happy with the Accord, and life was good. But it all changed when I drove the Mercedes C63 AMG. Man, the exhaust note was insane and the way the red leather seats completely sucked you up – yummy!

In retrospect I am amazed by how quickly I fell out of love with my Accord. I mean it was a nice car, low profile tires, angel-eyes, FFE, and the works – but suddenly it seemed too wannabe. It handled like a ship, had automatic transmission, and wasn’t the fastest or most comfortable car in the garage anyways. So I stopped caring about it as much as I used to (yes, I am guilty of the sin) and never really drove it anymore.
Life goes full circle and here I am.

I was happy with the Thar, and life was good. But it all changed when I started driving a real Jeep, an MM540. Lifted suspension, 35 inchers, open top, brute and muscular - damn!

In retrospect I am amazed by how quickly I fell out of love with my Thar. I mean it was a nice car, 31 inchers AT's, lowered roof for that Wrangler look, nice interiors, CFL, the works – but suddenly it seemed too wannabe. It wasn't a real Jeep, had AC, IFS, and wasn’t either the most capable offroader, or most comfortable car in the garage anyways. So I stopped caring about it as much as I used to (yes, I am guilty of the sin) and never really drove it anymore.

My driving last few months has been split mostly between the Q7 and the Jeep, which is why my Thar is not being driven at all. Maybe about 500 kms in the last 6 months or so. Finally, succumbing to family pressure and so it goes on Sale. 2.5 years and 14,500 kms on the odo.

Latest pics follow ..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-3.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-4.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-5.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-6.jpg  

manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 16:43   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
From my second post on this thread ..

Life goes full circle and here I am. Finally, succumbing to family pressure and so it goes on Sale. 2.5 years and 14,500 kms on the odo.
It is indeed a well defined "full circle". You are truly enjoying the off-roading with your Jeeps. I have always loved your posts on Thar and then MM540.

I did not find the post in classified section though. What is the asking price, if I may ask?
Old 22nd May 2015, 10:53   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
It is indeed a well defined "full circle". You are truly enjoying the off-roading with your Jeeps. I have always loved your posts on Thar and then MM540.

I did not find the post in classified section though. What is the asking price, if I may ask?
The classified is yet to get approved, updated the gallery. Will either sell at mentioned price within 1 month, or sell off the major parts (like CFL, alloys+tires,) separately, remove minor accessories (hood latches, Fog-lamps, spacers) and install them on the MM540, and then sell at whatever market offers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...do=view&g=5849

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2015 at 13:28. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:18   #560
BHPian

Hey Manveet, its not wannabe by any means, its quite nice to tell you the truth, just keep the original lights/hood latches and it looks as classic as it did when you gor it from the showroom. What i can make out from the yellow jeep is that I've become a hardcore offroader which is why you've fallen in love with the yellow 540, i still loveeee my Thar, drive it to work daily and do the mountain trips once every 3 months. I'm sure you cant do this in the 540, thus its still a great Jeep and depends upon the mode of use from individual to individual. Hope you agree, just posting how I feel ☺

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2015 at 13:25. Reason: Please proof read your posts prior to submission. Punctuation, sms lingo, spaces to be taken care of.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:48   #561
BHPian

Hey Manveet,
Man…..! :(
it's sad to know you're letting it go, you’re mods on your Thar have been so helpful for all.
Yeah agree with Abhimanyu888 that you're Thar doesn't look wannabe by any means. Ofcourse you are looking at it alongside the yellow beast(with all that muscle and nothing but the muscle) and thats whats playing the games on you man.
I'm sure you're gonna miss it.
Old 12th July 2015, 03:05   #562
Senior - BHPian

Got a couple of very good quotes for the Jeep, but in the process I realized ..

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-one-does-not.jpg

Also, it's helped my out in some really tricky situations, so much so that I went ahead and installed a fixed tow installed to the yellow Jeep, and upgrade the pintle hook on the Thar to a high quality one.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20150711_152018-copy.jpg

Plus, they look so nice together. Brothers in Arms.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-01.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-02.jpg
manveet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 00:58   #563

Hey Manveet. Great thread and pretty well done up Jeeps. I liked the hardtop on the Thar, could you share some details about the hardtop?
Old 13th July 2015, 10:55   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, it's helped my out in some really tricky situations, so much so that I went ahead and installed a fixed tow installed to the yellow Jeep, and upgrade the pintle hook on the Thar to a high quality one.
I'd say, keep them both. get yourself a trailer and tow your 540 to OTRs in the Thar. considering the level of mods, the 540 may not be suitable for Highway driving. much like what @Gujarati does.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 16:04   #565
BHPian

hi manveet,

i saw you driving your jeep in Def Col market a few weeks back. Wanted to ask you if the suspension is raised in anyway ?

been following your thread since inception but dont remember you mentioning this anywhere.

I could be wrong but the jeep seemed higher than other Thars that ive seen around.

could you clarify

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 16:31   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijai_DAH8084 View Post
Hey Manveet. Great thread and pretty well done up Jeeps. I liked the hardtop on the Thar, could you share some details about the hardtop?
Performance Auto, Noida. They are the official modifiers for Mahindra Adventure for North India, mine was one of their first commercially sold HT's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I'd say, keep them both. get yourself a trailer and tow your 540 to OTRs in the Thar. considering the level of mods, the 540 may not be suitable for Highway driving. much like what @Gujarati does.
Agreed. Am foreseeing that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi manveet,

i saw you driving your jeep in Def Col market a few weeks back. Wanted to ask you if the suspension is raised in anyway ?

been following your thread since inception but dont remember you mentioning this anywhere.

I could be wrong but the jeep seemed higher than other Thars that ive seen around.

could you clarify

cheers

Kundan
Good question.

No, its not raised at all. It looks like that because of the custom fender flares - they sit higher than most others available in the market, and the design is such that they expose the entire wheel well, hence adding to the illusion. You're not the first person to have asked me that though.

God is in the details. Glad you noticed.

Cheers!

Last edited by manveet : 20th July 2015 at 16:39. Reason: grammer
Old 20th July 2015, 16:35   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Good question.

No, its not raised at all. It looks like that because of the custom fender flares - they sit higher than most other available in the market, and the design is such that they expose the entire wheel well, hence adding to the illusion. You're not the first person to have asked me that though.

Cheers!
Thanks for the prompt response and clarifying the confusion. i wanted to stop you but it was really crowded in the market and i could see you were exiting.

next time !
Old 11th September 2015, 20:54   #568

Quote:
Performance Auto, Noida. They are the official modifiers for Mahindra Adventure for North India, mine was one of their first commercially sold HT's.

Agreed. Am foreseeing that happening.

Good question.

No, its not raised at all. It looks like that because of the custom fender flares - they sit higher than most others available in the market, and the design is such that they expose the entire wheel well, hence adding to the illusion. You're not the first person to have asked me that though.

Cheers!

manveet, what kind of tires can I put on the stock Thar rims? Bighorns? These seem to be stock rims. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...x#imageGallery

thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:46   #569
Senior - BHPian

Have made up my mind, with 15,500 kms on the odo, the Thar is now definitely going on sale, latest pictures follow ..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-front_0.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-rear_2.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-rear_1.jpg  

manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 06:45   #570
BHPian

Yes, I too have the same question for you Buddy. Very safely without altering the engineering or safety, instead of stock tires, if I upgrade, would 245 70 r16 be ok ? And if I put in at tires instead of ht, how significant difference would be in ride quality and noise.

Most Viewed