Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 14:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
Since questions like this do not elicit replies, I went to the M&M workshop and asked them questions about it, and I am happy to say if your vehicle is under warranty, your brake booster gets replaced free of cost. So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys.
Sorry for the delay. Going forward, please quote or PM for quicker response. Yes you are right. Koncept Mahindra will replace your booster FOC if car is under warranty. Those guys are knowledgable primarily because they work closely with Mahindra Adventure folk up north. So this replacement is borne of their own R&D and initiative.

I doubt Bhasin Motors or Shri Durga would do this. Did you check with them or Koncept itself?
Old 25th December 2012, 18:31   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Sorry for the delay. Going forward, please quote or PM for quicker response. Yes you are right. Koncept Mahindra will replace your booster FOC if car is under warranty. Those guys are knowledgable primarily because they work closely with Mahindra Adventure folk up north. So this replacement is borne of their own R&D and initiative.

I doubt Bhasin Motors or Shri Durga would do this. Did you check with them or Koncept itself?
Dear Manveet - they must also set the LSPV to the new value and provide the bigger vacuum tank of Scorpio (as an accumulator) or you will lose pedal feel under repeated braking. Please insist on it.

Rajith, please help everybody. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th December 2012, 09:16   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Manveet thanks for your reply. I am just learning the ways to quote and stuff.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif

Yes I did it from Koncept. And they claimed that they invented this solution http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif
bout the ride... i am not a technical person.. but the braking has improved drastically. The jeep stops at dead on application.

By the way saw your Jeep at PA@noida the other day.. looking good must say.... are you going for the PA fenders as well?
Old 26th December 2012, 14:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manveet thanks for your reply. I am just learning the ways to quote and stuff.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif
I can see you still need to figure out the smileys.

Quote:
By the way saw your Jeep at PA@noida the other day.. looking good must say.... are you going for the PA fenders as well?
Thanks for the compliments on the Jeep. I was at PA till late evening on Monday for the delivery - just managed to get it completed. A few touch ups on the paint and rubbing polishing is still pending though.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-bushwackerjeeppocket_style.jpg

The PA guys are quoting 20K for the Bushwacker type Fender flares (like in the pic above) and 13K for a pair of spacers to push the rear wheels out by 1.5 inches each. This pricing seems quite exorbitant so that is on hold as of now.

Do let me know in case you can help me with a source for 1.5 inch spacers for the rear wheels.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 18:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by:manveet
Do let me know in case you can help me with a source for 1.5 inch spacers for the rear wheels.
You can try R&T Auto Catalyst or Ironman blr. But i as a layman (I am an absolut technical donkey ) somehow feel it might not be a good idea...

yes even i thought the PA BW type FF's are really overpriced .

But, i am sold on the design, its almost 6" in width compared to the 4" of the M&M Thar expedition kit. it saves a lot of splashes on the sides, which happen on general puddles, etc.

lets catch up one of these days.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2013 at 06:06.
Old 27th December 2012, 18:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Reading around the forum, I have realized going in for spacers will not yield much advantage. The likely risk to structural integrity of suspension is not worth the aesthetic advantage.

However, am still bitten by the fender bug.

The Bimbra ones have a design which is close to what the Bushwacker has. I have high regard for the quality of their end-product but feel that their designs could do with some aesthetic improvements. Although their Manager has refused point blank, I have still spoken to and emailed Taran Bimbra to check if they can make the following changes to their end product.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-bimbra-modified-fender-1.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-bimbra-modifies-fender-2.jpg

I don't think above is very difficult from a technical perspective - but they just need to decide whether it is worth their time and effort on modifying something for one customer, or just sell stuff off the shelf.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 14:43   #52
BHPian

Re: List of Mods in 1.5 months / 1700 kms.

Quote:
  1. Central Locking
Hi Manveet,

Great upgrades you have done, would you mind giving a few more details on the central locking on the Thar? I too have installed a hard top and bucket seats, and opening the rear gate climbing from inside is a pain (as the arm-rests come in the way).

Does your central lock open the rear door as well? If so how did you go about it.

I have been told by some that opening the rear gate via central locking would not be possible, another option I am looking at is installing the Gypsy rear locking mechanism which has a key and can be opened from the outside.

Your inputs appreciated.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:13   #53

Quote:

As we speak, my Thar is getting stripped, ready to get a few inches chopped off from the windscreen and B-pillars, to accommodate the Wrangler shape Hard-top by Performance Auto in Noida. Exactly like the one we saw on Raj’s Thar in a previous post.

Cheers!
Hi Manveet,
Can we see some pictures of the modded thar?? I have been planning to get a Hard top too, but have held back since i never liked a designs available elsewhere. I like what PA people have done in the pics that you posted and would like to see how it looks on a red one.
Old 30th December 2012, 14:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
[list=1][*] Front and side facing rear seats upgraded to those of first and third row respectively, from Toyota Innova. Also, complete floor carpeting and upholstery redone.

Coming up in next 10 days is a removable FRP Hard top from Bimbra.
A great list of mods. One question though:
- Do the Innova front seats fit perfectly, or is there specific considerations to be borne in mind?
- Also, it would be great if you could share some (even approx.) figures of how much the seats cost you.

Thanks,
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi HillyThar, I_s14, and Contrapunto,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your respective Thars! Do post some pictures in your Garage - I would love to see what mods you guys have done.

Hope I have answered your queries below.

Cheers!
Manveet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Hi Manveet,

Great upgrades you have done, would you mind giving a few more details on the central locking on the Thar? I too have installed a hard top and bucket seats, and opening the rear gate climbing from inside is a pain (as the arm-rests come in the way).

Does your central lock open the rear door as well? If so how did you go about it.

I have been told by some that opening the rear gate via central locking would not be possible, another option I am looking at is installing the Gypsy rear locking mechanism which has a key and can be opened from the outside.

Your inputs appreciated.
I am using the basic Xenos Central Locking + Alarm, and it works perfectly. Some installers had mentioned that the rear door will not open properly as the mechanism is tight, but I faced no such issues. Ask around some more, confidently tell the installer that your friends have got it done and it works. If you still do not succeed, do let me know and I will try to find out the exact model no. of my Xenos central locking system and let you know. Once your central locking works, you will not need the rear key-locking mechanism. I had the option of going in for one when I got the Hard-top done, but I did not feel the need for it.

I could not understand what arm rest you are mentioning as my jeep has none. You could put up some pics to clarify. Anyhow, 90% of the time rear passengers in my Jeep prefer to use the front passenger side door - they just step over the center console to access the rear passenger seats. Ingress/ egress to the rear compartment by opening the rear door is a very painful and time consuming process - especially after installation of third-row Innova seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_s14 View Post
Hi Manveet,
Can we see some pictures of the modded thar?? I have been planning to get a Hard top too, but have held back since i never liked a designs available elsewhere. I like what PA people have done in the pics that you posted and would like to see how it looks on a red one.
Yes, I would love to post pictures, not getting time to take them though. Please give a few days for detailed pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
A great list of mods. One question though:
- Do the Innova front seats fit perfectly, or is there specific considerations to be borne in mind?
They fit perfectly and are highly recommended. Do NOT go in for the ones that come with arm rests inbuilt. You may have to change location of your seatbelt mounting on the A-pillar and do away with the seat-belt socket that comes with OE, as the Innova seats have the seat-belt socket inbuilt. No major modifications needed that a regular seat installer cannot manage.

One thing to take care of though, if you go in for front speakers installed with MDF ring, they may rub against the seat, especially if you keep your seat forward like I do. My front passenger seat is always pushed back so no speaker interference on that door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post

- Also, it would be great if you could share some (even approx.) figures of how much the seats cost you.
Sure. I paid about 6K for front and third-row seats in all - purchased from Mayapuri. Then I got the cushions marginally refurbished, with new seat-covers stitched in black, and painted the plastic parts black as well, along with end-to end carpeting in grey. For all this I paid about 12K-14K over and above cost of seats.

Delhi/ NCR guys can contact me via PM for references to get Thar work in Mayapuri.

Last edited by manveet : 2nd January 2013 at 10:36.
manveet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 09:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hi HillyThar, I_s14, and Contrapunto,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your respective Thars! Do post some pictures in your Garage - I would love to see what mods you guys have done.

Hope I have answered your queries below.

Cheers!
Manveet

I am using the basic Xenos Central Locking + Alarm, and it works perfectly. Some installers had mentioned that the rear door will not open properly as the mechanism is tight, but I faced no such issues. Ask around some more, confidently tell the installer that your friends have got it done and it works. If you still do not succeed, do let me know and I will try to find out the exact model no. of my Xenos central locking system and let you know. Once your central locking works, you will not need the rear key-locking mechanism. I had the option of going in for one when I got the Hard-top done, but I did not feel the need for it.

I could not understand what arm rest you are mentioning as my jeep has none. You could put up some pics to clarify. Anyhow, 90% of the time rear passengers in my Jeep prefer to use the front passenger side door - they just step over the center console to access the rear passenger seats. Ingress/ egress to the rear compartment by opening the rear door is a very painful and time consuming process - especially after installation of third-row Innova seats.
Hi Manveet,

Thanks for the details, its great to be participant at the Team-BHP forums. I have installed the Scorpio seats with armrests as the front seats, and have shifted the stock front seats to the rear (and have taken out the headrest).

As you have done, have installed a Xenos central locking system, which now operated the rear gate perfectly, making entry and exit for the rear passengers much easier than trying to navigate over the narrow gap in the front.

Here's a pic of the front seat just to show how narrow the space became.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-img_5799.jpg  

HillyThar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 08:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
Here's a pic of the front seat just to show how narrow the space became.
Cheers
Nice looking stuff. But do the front arm-rests not pose a problem for the driver during changing gears. Also, the Hard-top seems to be pretty good, more details on that please? Preferably with pictures.

Here are a few pics from my recent trip to Jaipur ..

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0053_4_5_fused.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0013_4_5_fused-copy.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0089_90_91_tonemapped-copy.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0073_4_fused.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0087_8_tonemapped-copy.jpg

Last edited by manveet : 8th January 2013 at 08:23.
manveet is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 10:49   #58

Quote:

Hi manveet,
Great pics and an amazing hardtop... Looks amazing. Was this your first trip outside delhi with the new HT? How did it perform w.r.t squeaks , rattles, etc.??? Hows the cooling/heating performance? Does the HT cut outside noise effectively??

Also, kindly inform us about the price of the HT? IIRC it was somewhere around 40k.
What all does that include?
Old 8th January 2013, 12:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Nice looking stuff. But do the front arm-rests not pose a problem for the driver during changing gears. Also, the Hard-top seems to be pretty good, more details on that please? Preferably with pictures.

Wow !

Dear Manveet,

Your Thar looks amazing now, can you please upload some detail photo showing interior and exterior of this HT and cost if you are ok for sharing.

I got delivery of my Rocky Beige Thar in Dec 2012, did 700 kms in last couple of weeks and looking for options in HT and rear seating.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 8th January 2013, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Manveet, it is coming together really well, but needs a few more tweaks to get it to the level of the M&M ones. I'm not a big fan of black on red. I'm not sure if the front portion looks exactly the same as the M&M ones, could be because of the angle. Please post more pics, especially the interiors.
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks