Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 18:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The leaking HT is the only one thing keeping me from the PA hard top option. I hear the Hyderabad New Mars HT is absolutely sorted.
When I was in the market for a HT, the Hyderabad version still had issues. So I took the plunge for the PA version. I would rather be the first commercial customer for PA which is Noida based than for a HT which comes all the way from Hyderabad.

I like the removable top concept of the Hyderabad HT, but as on date still think the PA HT is better looking and overall a better deal.

Quote:
Sigh !! Even wind noise is a big no no for me, as it is also going to compromise on the aircon other than the irritating sound
I seem to have given you an exaggerated impression about the wind noise. It is perceptible only after 100 kmph. A small 1-2 mm gap somewhere is enough to create noise, but doubt it will affect AC cooling.

Quote:
I do not think you should take the puddles on the dashboard lightly, lest it results in some unwanted short circuit or some such mishap.
Electricals? What electricals? Apparently they don't have enough electronic/ electrical goodies anyways to be short-circuited. Did I mention that when I took delivery of the vehicle, they were washing the interiors with a hose-pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63
Guess we all learn as we go along.

Enjoy the ride!
Yes, we do. I have had my share of learnings with the Jeep, but more from other areas than the HT.

Cheers!
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 19:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Washing the insides with a hose !! Now that is surely interesting ! LOL

Well as for the looks bit, I agree that the PA HT looks better, my main worry is the water seeping in.

Well did you look at the Bimbra option as an alternative ? I did see a Thar with a Bimbra HT (possibly amongst the first lot) I found it a tad crude and the finish was not upto the mark either. Any views on the Bimbra vs PA ??

Cheers
Old 5th March 2013, 19:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Washing the insides with a hose !! Now that is surely interesting ! LOL

Well as for the looks bit, I agree that the PA HT looks better, my main worry is the water seeping in.

Well did you look at the Bimbra option as an alternative ? I did see a Thar with a Bimbra HT (possibly amongst the first lot) I found it a tad crude and the finish was not upto the mark either. Any views on the Bimbra vs PA ??

Cheers
I preferred the PA to Bimbra from an aesthetic standpoint. Had almost decided to go for Bimbra but changed my mind at the last minute .. here are two posts where I have mentioned relevant details ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2988520

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2990098
Old 6th March 2013, 19:56   #94
Senior - BHPian

Update: Lights & Spacers

Two quick updates :

1. Rear wheels have been spaced out by 1.5 inches each. So the front and rear track are now absolutely in-line.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_spacer1.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_spacer2.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_spacer3.jpg

Also removed and threw away the round bicycle reflectors - the ones below the tail-lamp cluster.

2. Projectors (with white angel-eyes) installed in the front headlights. The glass was replaced by clear plastic, reflector painted matte-black and motorcycle projectors installed. I could have gone in for bigger projectors but that would have entailed further jugaad and time and effort. As it is, I damaged one projector in the R&D and wasted money here and there overall in this mod, but it was worth it. This was a controversial mod that I played a lot around with in my mind with, before going ahead with the execution.

The quantity of light is sufficient, but some work needs to be done on aligning the focus. Either ways, the current focus is better than the stock. If you hardcore JEEP fans don't like this mod - all I can say is that pictures perhaps don't do justice, it REALLY looks good in the flesh.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130306_l1.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130306_l2.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130306_l3.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_l4.jpg

3. This has been coupled with six pairs (total twelve, and a thirteenth in the cabin light) of LED strips that have replaced ALL the exterior Bulbs. These include front parking light, front indicator, side indicator, rear indicator, brake and reverse light bulbs. So now there is absolutely no bulb lighting anywhere in the exterior - very crisp ON-OFF, and sharp lighting. It has done wonders to the looks. Shown below is a pic taken from mobile that will just depict the brightness. Will take a few DSLR pics and put them up soon - those will give a much better idea about the mod.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_l5.jpg

Last edited by manveet : 6th March 2013 at 19:58.
manveet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 20:42   #95
BANNED

Re: Update: Lights & Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Two quick updates :

1. Rear wheels have been spaced out by 1.5 inches each. So the front and rear track are now absolutely in-line.
hi,
whats spacer cost and availability, is it a reliable one for 4wd??
rajith
Old 7th March 2013, 00:41   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Two quick updates :

Also removed and threw away the round bicycle reflectors - the ones below the tail-lamp cluster.
Loving the look of the wheels.

Btw could you throw some light on 'front and rear track are now in line'? We're they not aligned Earlier? Arent the front and rear tyres the same spec? That brings me to a newbie question - do the front and rear tyres have to be of the same spec?
Old 7th March 2013, 08:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi,
whats spacer cost and availability, is it a reliable one for 4wd??
rajith
hi Rajith
I got this made from mayapuri (Delhi based jeep market) directly from the guy with the lathe machine who does it for everyone else. it is made from iron (not aluminum) and each is over 3kg in weight. cost me about 6-8k. I am not sure about spacer interplay with 4wd so cannot comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Loving the look of the wheels.

Btw could you throw some light on 'front and rear track are now in line'? We're they not aligned Earlier? Arent the front and rear tyres the same spec? That brings me to a newbie question - do the front and rear tyres have to be of the same spec?
the tires are same spec but there is a design "issue" with the chassis from production - it is narrower in the rear as compared to the front which translates to a narrower rear track as well. why mahindra has accepted this - you will find in a few threads - I dont recollect the reason. something to do with the thar being amalgamation of different vehicles.
Old 7th March 2013, 09:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is made from iron (not aluminum) and each is over 3kg in weight.
And why did you choose iron over aluminium? Any specific reason?
Wouldn't the same spacer in aluminium be lighter and thus reduce the stresses on the axle?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 10:00   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
And why did you choose iron over aluminium? Any specific reason?
Wouldn't the same spacer in aluminium be lighter and thus reduce the stresses on the axle?
Cheers,
Deepak
Probably. But I wanted a spacer soon and did not have time to research the Iron vs. Aluminum route. Also, did not have a source to make it for me in Aluminum, this option came my way so I chose it.

I was told that using these in the front will lead to a heavy steering, but not much problem in case I am using them in the rear. Even the PA guys offered to make me spacers, albeit at a much higher price point, and also in Aluminum. So I was like, what the heck - it can't be that wrong, and went ahead.

Hope that clarifies
Old 7th March 2013, 10:10   #100
Team-BHP Support

Behram loves it when customers fix the design bugs he intentionally left in the Thar.

But I really like how your Thar has been shaping up. Not sure about the engineering aspects of the mods, but the visual aspect of your mods are really classy. You have made major modifications, while making the Thar look more and more appealing after every mod. I sincerely feel that a certain J.S.Nanda would do lot better by taking design cues from you. In fact, he should send every one of his customization design to you for approval.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 11:38   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Behram loves it when customers fix the design bugs he intentionally left in the Thar.

But I really like how your Thar has been shaping up. Not sure about the engineering aspects of the mods, but the visual aspect of your mods are really classy. You have made major modifications, while making the Thar look more and more appealing after every mod. I sincerely feel that a certain J.S.Nanda would do lot better by taking design cues from you. In fact, he should send every one of his customization design to you for approval.
Dear Sharath - good one I say! . I did not leave any "intentional design bugs" in the Thar. The decision on differential wheel track was taken way back in 1996 when the very first NGCS Armada was made and tested on a certain test track in the midlands area of England. Thar is one of the many models that carries forward this design. The front track is more to reduce the turning circle diameter.

"That certain Mr.J.S.Nanda" (aka my very good friend - Jaggi) is no longer associated with customization. He is transferred to another department. I believe he is happy now! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 11:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Dear Friends,

I will be highly obliged if someone could PLEASE tell me how to change the steering wheel of the Thar. People say that a Hub has not been designed for the Thar as yet. That answer would have been acceptable, but the problem is that I have personally seen and driven a Thar that had the steering wheel changed. Unfortunately, it was a second-hand vehicle for sale with Mahindra First Choice, and hence there was no way I could contact the first owner.

I have a nice looking steering wheel, with a "JEEP Logo" on the centre horn button, ready to be fitted on the Thar. But the Hub eludes me. :( .. Any inputs on what vehicles steering rod is the same diameter as the one on the Thar?

What is giving me sleepless nights, not to mention the pain from numerous failed attempts, and money blown - is that somewhere there exists a hub that is a bolt-on fit for the Thar, but I just don't know where to procure it from !! .

Looking forward to inputs on this one query, THANKS!!

Last edited by manveet : 7th March 2013 at 11:57.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:

Probably. But I wanted a spacer soon and did not have time to research the Iron vs. Aluminum route. Also, did not have a source to make it for me in Aluminum, this option came my way so I chose it.

I was told that using these in the front will lead to a heavy steering, but not much problem in case I am using them in the rear. Even the PA guys offered to make me spacers, albeit at a much higher price point, and also in Aluminum. So I was like, what the heck - it can't be that wrong, and went ahead.

Hope that clarifies
Hi Manveet

Are the spacers bolted to the axle and wheels mounted on them or they're simply sandwiched in between? I believe there's a lot of compromise on safety if it's the latter.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:06   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

I will be highly obliged if someone could PLEASE tell me how to change the steering wheel of the Thar. People say that a Hub has not been designed for the Thar as yet. That answer would have been acceptable, but the problem is that I have personally seen and driven a Thar that had the steering wheel changed. Unfortunately, it was a second-hand vehicle for sale with Mahindra First Choice, and hence there was no way I could contact the first owner.

I have a nice looking steering wheel, with a "JEEP Logo" on the centre horn button, ready to be fitted on the Thar. But the Hub eludes me. :( .. Any inputs on what vehicles steering rod is the same diameter as the one on the Thar?

What is giving me sleepless nights, not to mention the pain from numerous failed attempts, and money blown - is that somewhere there exists a hub that is a bolt-on fit for the Thar, but I just don't know where to procure it from !! .

Looking forward to inputs on this one query, THANKS!!
Dear Manveet - simple! The steering column is of Bolero. Actually the whole vehicle is an amalgamation of Bolero and Scorpio which looks like a Jeep, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 12:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Apologies if I may sound naive. But isn't 100mm track difference which translates to 50mm each side too much to compensate this way? How safe does the vehicle remain after this and what needs to be done to make it safe?

Manveet, nice mods. Just one suggestion though that struck as soon as the HLs snap came in front of me. Pls align the lines on the HLs clear plastic covers, either vertically or horizontally. It just strikes out odd (maybe it is just me) from such a fab setup.

Also, could the round reflectors be converted to some red led lights? IMO it would look good and probably I have seen somewhere some such setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks