Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 14:25   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - simple! The steering column is of Bolero. Actually the whole vehicle is an amalgamation of Bolero and Scorpio which looks like a Jeep, that's all!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks, now I need to figure out if there is a hub for the Bolero available in Indian market - which most likely is NOT available.

In your knowledge, does the diameter of Bolero steering rod match any other commonly available Indian vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Hi Manveet

Are the spacers bolted to the axle and wheels mounted on them or they're simply sandwiched in between? I believe there's a lot of compromise on safety if it's the latter.
Hi Amol,

You may view the embedded video below, followed by a picture of my installation. This is exactly how I have gone about it, and I believe there is no compromise on safety..

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130223_140720.jpg

Hope the above clarifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Apologies if I may sound naive. But isn't 100mm track difference which translates to 50mm each side too much to compensate this way? How safe does the vehicle remain after this and what needs to be done to make it safe?
Hi Parsh,

Your question is valid. In my personal opinion, this is an absolutely safe mod, else I would not have gone about it.

In fact, purely from a theoretical perspective, since the vehicle is RWD, I was quite confident that by making the rear track equivalent to the front, I would not be doing something technically incorrect.

Practically, I am quite certain it has become more stable if not remained the same. To be very honest, I noticed a slight change in handling for the better post-mod, but I did not bring it up earlier, and will still not vouch for it - because I am not a professional tuner that installs a conical K&N filter and claim a 7 BHP power increase!

But what I can surely vouch for is that the handling is NOT in any way inferior than before. My main objective was to improve the vehicle stance - which has been effectively achieved. .

Quote:
Manveet, nice mods. Just one suggestion though that struck as soon as the HLs snap came in front of me. Pls align the lines on the HLs clear plastic covers, either vertically or horizontally. It just strikes out odd (maybe it is just me) from such a fab setup.
Wonderful point. The guy that was working on my setup had never done a car setup below (these are motorcyle projectors and the clear glass belongs to the classic Bullet) and had no idea how the light would eventually fit into the Thar. The fact that my Jeep was elsewhere getting some other mods meant we could not use the hit-and-try method conveniently.

As per process, the only way to change this was to break the seal, and reseal. We did it once to align the lines, but after fitment we realized that now the project beam cut-off was vertical instead of horizontal. To realign that we had to rotate complete light unit as projector light was already fixed. So we lived with the eventual output and tried to maintain symmetry.

Net net, the point I am making is that what you are mentioning is what was desired by me as well, but after breaking one projector, and wasting at least four clear-glasses, one tends not to be fussy about these things

Quote:
Also, could the round reflectors be converted to some red led lights? IMO it would look good and probably I have seen somewhere some such setup.
Dude, you and I think alike . I played with that ideas as well and managed to identify nice round LED lights (also from the bullet classic) but I eventually dropped the idea as it was not a bolt-on job and I was running out of time and patience. I have a picture of those lights somewhere, will try to pull them out and share - in case anyone else wants to run with the idea.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th March 2013 at 15:30.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 14:45   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Thanks, now I need to figure out if there is a hub for the Bolero available in Indian market - which most likely is NOT available.

In your knowledge, does the diameter of Bolero steering rod match any other commonly available Indian vehicle?.
I am sure it would be available. Punjab is full of ridiculously pimped up boleros with huge tires and tiny steering wheels. As soon as recession kicked in, the safari as a pimp mobile was largely replaced by bolero.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 15:18   #108
Senior - BHPian

Side Vie Mirrors don't match.

I have a very interesting observation. I just noticed few days ago (after 4 months of ownership) that my front LHS and RHS side view mirror don't match. And this is the way it came from the dealership.

Evidently, this is something unique to my vehicle and not to Thar's in general. Any idea how this might have happened??

Here is a picture to show you guys what I mean ..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0105.jpg  

Old 7th March 2013, 16:37   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I have a very interesting observation. I just noticed few days ago (after 4 months of ownership) that my front LHS and RHS side view mirror don't match. And this is the way it came from the dealership.

Evidently, this is something unique to my vehicle and not to Thar's in general. Any idea how this might have happened??

Well, the answer is pretty simple. The Thar is a amalgamated Bolero and Scorpio, so the rules of symmetry may sometimes be broken to give the customer a very unique product. BTW, the RHS mirror is the odd man out I think but it looks better than the stock mirror.

Also, the spacers setup is what I thought it'd be, thanks for clarifying. The stance is definitely better with the mod.
amolpol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 17:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

That is quite an observation! The RHS mirror seems to be from new Bolero where as the LHS one is the standard Mahindra jeep/ Older Bolero category.
BTW, manveet, just interested to know, have you noticed any change in the turning radius after installation of the spacers?

Last edited by Kandisa : 7th March 2013 at 17:11. Reason: Addition
Kandisa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 17:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
That is quite an observation! The RHS mirror seems to be from new Bolero where as the LHS one is the standard Mahindra jeep/ Older Bolero category.
BTW, manveet, just interested to know, have you noticed any change in the turning radius after installation of the spacers?
Thanks for the specific info. Do you think Mahindra Dealer will fix this problem under warranty. My first service is still due.

And about the turning radius, Sir I do not even know the mileage I get, turning radius is a very advanced level query . I can assure you it is nothing significant - else I would have noticed.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 19:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Well i think this is too simple an issue. Decide which one you prefer and simply ask the dealer to replace the other one with the same piece. Yes i was just curious whether you felt any change in the turning radius, nothing technical abut it!
Old 9th March 2013, 09:09   #113
BHPian

Re: Side Vie Mirrors don't match.

Quote:

I think it was a PDI mistake Where the dealership won. It look like a transportation Damage by the dealership guys and by mistake they put "a" Bolero Mirror without checking old or new !! or the old model is out of stock and they jest fit the available one. Check your right door,windshield frame,B-Piller for any sign of paint shade differences.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 10:19   #114
Senior - BHPian

Any inputs on how this rear rollover bar would look on my Jeep? Pictures pulled from Bimbra Facebook Page. I would keep the overall height a little lower since my Jeep is 2-3 inches shorter than stock. And perhaps invert the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-227646_476116359090914_1368907004_n.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-307679_476116375757579_712953123_n.jpg  

Old 9th March 2013, 11:28   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Any inputs on how this rear rollover bar would look on my Jeep? Pictures pulled from Bimbra Facebook Page. I would keep the overall height a little lower since my Jeep is 2-3 inches shorter than stock. And perhaps invert the tires.
For some reason I have always disliked this mod. I saw this same specimen on the road near Savitri Cinema in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so could take a good long nice look at it. It now as a "if you can read this, flip me over" sticker on it. A bit excessive, if you ask me.
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 12:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
For some reason I have always disliked this mod. I saw this same specimen on the road near Savitri Cinema in bumper-to-bumper traffic, so could take a good long nice look at it. It now as a "if you can read this, flip me over" sticker on it. A bit excessive, if you ask me.
I agree with Codelust. Its a bit of a "moreover". It would be better to have a separate Tyre Carrier (as in the back bumper of Thar Expedition Kit) or you can check with Swastik Viji. That should be more functional, but only word of caution, do check out with other users if it clatters and chatters on aging.
iMASKARAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 17:21   #117
BHPian

Quote:
One word -Skip. Considering the rest of the tastefully done suff.
nitin.rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 01:09   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful point. The guy that was working on my setup had never done a car setup below (these are motorcyle projectors and the clear glass belongs to the classic Bullet) and had no idea how the light would eventually fit into the Thar. The fact that my Jeep was elsewhere getting some other mods meant we could not use the hit-and-try method conveniently.
Hi Manveet,

Are these Bi-Xenon projectors or the ones from the TB 500?

Amol
Old 11th March 2013, 10:18   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
I agree with Codelust. Its a bit of a "moreover". It would be better to have a separate Tyre Carrier (as in the back bumper of Thar Expedition Kit) or you can check with Swastik Viji. That should be more functional, but only word of caution, do check out with other users if it clatters and chatters on aging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
One word -Skip. Considering the rest of the tastefully done suff.
Thank you for your inputs - I was truly 50:50 about this. Now I am confident. But what I really want to do is relocate the extra wheel to the dead centre of the tail gate. But this will have to wait a few months. That job entails welding etc., something I will do at the time when I am getting a mount fabricated for Hella's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Hi Manveet,

Are these Bi-Xenon projectors or the ones from the TB 500?

Amol
Bi-xenons.

All the new Enfield lights have a 7 inch diameter. The Jeep light has 6.5 inch dia. which is same as the classic Bullet. So you either buy TB 500/ other light units and do R&D around fitting it or you open up the Jeep lights and do R&D around modifying those. Hope I have clarified.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 12:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Updates

Quick Updates

1. New Momo Steering wheel with some suede, and nice red out-stitching to go with the upholstery.
2. New Sparco Gear-knob and ABC pedal in brushed steel.
3. Got rid of the fenders.

Refer below for some really poor quality grainy pics. The vehicle is looking slightly distorted, esp. the rear quarter pic, and the brightness of light is misleading. In fact, the headlight is off - that's just the angel eyes on but impression given is that HL is on.

Will try to take out time for some better DSLR pics. Meanwhile, will love to hear your feedback on these.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130313_183910-copy.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130313_184009-copy.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130313_184028-copy.jpg  

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20130313_184052-copy.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 14th March 2013 at 12:09.
manveet is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks