Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 17:02   #61
BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Very well executed job mate, guess you have spent a lot of time getting/doing all of those! About the wheels, PURE AWESOMENESS!!. Coupled with the new fender extensions/ as you call them are kewl. Great.

I hope you put up some dash pics as well! Also, you have put up a nice signature(forum sign)

Keep it sky high,
Drive Safe.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 01:07   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_s14 View Post
Hi manveet,
Great pics and an amazing hardtop... Looks amazing. Was this your first trip outside delhi with the new HT? How did it perform w.r.t squeaks , rattles, etc.??? Hows the cooling/heating performance? Does the HT cut outside noise effectively??

Also, kindly inform us about the price of the HT? IIRC it was somewhere around 40k.
What all does that include?
Yes, this was the first and only trip outside Delhi till date. And the HT did the job well, but there is a lot of work still remaining. Now I need to figure out whether to go back to the Peformance Auto guys (they MAY not charge me extra, but will take time and Noida is not convenient) or get it done from nearby under my closer supervision. To summarize, this HT is far from being a perfect bolt-on solution. If you're in a hurry to decide, please speak to me on the phone. Else, I intend to do a review on this as well. Maybe in a week-10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Manveet, it is coming together really well, but needs a few more tweaks to get it to the level of the M&M ones. I'm not a big fan of black on red. I'm not sure if the front portion looks exactly the same as the M&M ones, could be because of the angle. Please post more pics, especially the interiors.
Here is another pic of the exterior. Front Fog-lamps are still pending. Not sure whether I should go for a bull-bar - don't really need one except to mount protect the Hella's.

Any thoughts on how the Hella's will look minus the bull-bar? Please note that the OE plastic Mahindra plate between the front bumper and radiator was replaced long back by a metal sheet, on which I can mount the Hella's. But am not sure about aesthetic appeal of those without the Bull-bar. Look forward to your thoughts on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0101-copy-copy.jpg  

manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 01:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Any thoughts on how the Hella's will look minus the bull-bar? Please note that the OE plastic Mahindra plate between the front bumper and radiator was replaced long back by a metal sheet, on which I can mount the Hella's. But am not sure about aesthetic appeal of those without the Bull-bar. Look forward to your thoughts on that.
Nice job on the HT, would wait for your review to understand how much of pain and money goes in putting it on although I have no plans to do it on my jeep yet.

Regarding the lamp fitting on the existing bumper, you can look at cbopanna's Thar which has exactly the same fitment as you've described. Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-8.html
Old 9th January 2013, 11:40   #64
BHPian

manveet really good job on the Thar overall, its great to see your attention to detail and personal attention to each aspect of the mod job.
Like i mentioned in my message to you, seeing your project has again recharged me to put the Thar back in my list of prospective vehicles for 2013. (my mother wont be happy )

I'd suggest you go in for the bull bar in case you plan to get the Hellas fitted, they fit better on the bull bar.

also what sort of speeds were you managing on the highway? How did the Thar feel at over 100kmph (in case you crossed that speed)

Looking forward to some interior pictures
Old 9th January 2013, 12:53   #65
BHPian

Really nice looking Manveet. Good write up and good pics as well. You are the first thar owner I've seen that makes the stock bumper look good. keep the mods coming and all the best.

PS Ive noticed that you have the centre console in your thar. Was thinking of installing that as well. What's your review on that, is it worth the 8.5k ??
Old 9th January 2013, 14:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I really dislike both the stock front bumper and the M&M bullbar. The latter only serves to scare the living bejesus out of anyone who finds a That with that in their rearview mirror.

Mounting it on a simple metal sheet eventually leads to the lamp getting loose and squeaks will follow.

I prefer something like below. It is by Rugged Ridge. But again, there's no mount for the lamps on it.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-82501.27.jpg

The new pic gives me an idea of the amount of work left, especially where the door and HT comes together.

Last edited by codelust : 9th January 2013 at 14:06.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really dislike both the stock front bumper and the M&M bullbar. The latter only serves to scare the living bejesus out of anyone who finds a That with that in their rearview mirror.

Mounting it on a simple metal sheet eventually leads to the lamp getting loose and squeaks will follow.
I love the stock bumper, and dislike the OE bull-bar. Agree on the metal sheet. So now I need to figure out a bull bar design and a way to fit the Fog lamps.

Quote:
I prefer something like below. It is by Rugged Ridge. But again, there's no mount for the lamps on it.
Found it OK OK. Am keen that the bull-bar gets integrated ON the top-side of the bumper and the fog fit slightly behind it. The main purpose would be to (a) protect the fog lamps, and (b) provide a strong mounting point. I do not want the bull-bar to protrude much beyond the bumper. Skid plate is a part of the "to-do" list.

Quote:
The new pic gives me an idea of the amount of work left, especially where the door and HT comes together.
I am not so sure you have got the correct impression from the pic. Outside fitment is perfect, as is the area where the door and HT come together. What you are seeing in the picture is actually just a displaced rubber-beading.

Will surely post more interior pics to give you a better idea.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 10:38   #68
BHPian

If you are planning of retaining the front bumper then try installing a Stinger.. Vijay @ swastik fabs has done a neat job on them. check them out.

https://www.facebook.com/swastikfabs
for the facebookers.. thats the link above.
ad1329 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 14:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

This is from our recent family trip to Chokhi Dhani in Jaipur. Decided to do a quick run to Sambhar Lake on the second day, and had two options. I chose the one on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-dsc_0007_8_9_fused-copy.jpg  

manveet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 08:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

I just noticed today morning that my jeep has a significant tilt towards the left. (Also visible in pic above)

Any idea what this could be about? Suspension problems? I am worried. Seems this is going to be my first big ticket problem.

Last edited by manveet : 11th January 2013 at 08:07.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:34   #71
BHPian

Hi Manveet,

I happened to be at Nehru Place (New Delhi) last week, and got a good look at your jeep which was parked there. I totally admire the overall work done on your Thar and is already giving me ideas for further actions on my jeep as well. I loved the hard top and the rear seating arrangements. Needless to say but the Alloys are too good.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
I'd suggest you go in for the bull bar in case you plan to get the Hellas fitted, they fit better on the bull bar.
Suggestion taken. That's what I will be doing.

Quote:
also what sort of speeds were you managing on the highway? How did the Thar feel at over 100kmph (in case you crossed that speed)
I was cruising between 100-130 kph. The vehicle was well planted. The only problem was that the HT is not fully sealed (both noise & water), so the air noise was quite high at speeds over 90 kph.

Quote:
Looking forward to some interior pictures
Coming up, most likely over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329 View Post
Really nice looking Manveet. Good write up and good pics as well. You are the first thar owner I've seen that makes the stock bumper look good. keep the mods coming and all the best.

PS Ive noticed that you have the centre console in your thar. Was thinking of installing that as well. What's your review on that, is it worth the 8.5k ??
Thank you for appreciating.

About the console, the build quality is far superior than anything else I have seen till date, but one problem I face is that the cubby-holes provided are not at the most convenient places. Plus, you would have to relocate your HU. Overall, I am satisfied.

I will try to post some interior pics over the weekend, perhaps that will give you more clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_s14 View Post
Hi manveet,
Great pics and an amazing hardtop... Looks amazing. Was this your first trip outside delhi with the new HT? How did it perform w.r.t squeaks , rattles, etc.??? Hows the cooling/heating performance? Does the HT cut outside noise effectively??

Also, kindly inform us about the price of the HT? IIRC it was somewhere around 40k.
What all does that include?
The price is 50K. It is only one layer of fibreglass, which means the interior does not have the smooth finish. This is unlike other HT's at the same price point that have two layers of fibreglass, with insulation in between.

There is some leakage with respect to air and water, so obviously that translates into quite a bit of ruckus at speeds of over 90 kph+. Its fine with respect to squeaks and rattles, but how it performs in the Delhi sun is yet to be seen - although I don't have high expectations on that

Having said that, this is the best looking HT in the market right now. But the interior finish quality of PA guys is far from perfect - more on that once I post the pics.

Will be visiting the Service Center tomorrow to find out what the body tilt is all about.

Last edited by manveet : 11th January 2013 at 17:35.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 18:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:

I will try to post some interior pics over the weekend, perhaps that will give you more clarity.

The price is 50K. It is only one layer of fibreglass, which means the interior does not have the smooth finish. This is unlike other HT's at the same price point that have two layers of fibreglass, with insulation in between.

There is some leakage with respect to air and water, so obviously that translates into quite a bit of ruckus at speeds of over 90 kph+. Its fine with respect to squeaks and rattles, but how it performs in the Delhi sun is yet to be seen - although I don't have high expectations on that

Having said that, this is the best looking HT in the market right now. But the interior finish quality of PA guys is far from perfect - more on that once I post the pics.

Will be visiting the Service Center tomorrow to find out what the body tilt is all about.
Manveet,

Eagerly waiting for interior and more exterior pictures I am also looking for HT , have went through all the options available. Personally I like Italian but it is way costly so second option is Hyd HT.

Your review about PA HT will give some thoughts.

BTW Your Thar is looking awesome and coming up with new mods day by day, I am following

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 12th January 2013, 11:58   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed today morning that my jeep has a significant tilt towards the left. (Also visible in pic above). Any idea what this could be about? Suspension problems? I am worried. Seems this is going to be my first big ticket problem.
Dear Manveet - the front suspension has adjustable torsion bars. Tell the dealer to set it to height as per the workshop manual. I am very happy to read that you chose Thar over the Mercedes. You have made my day! Thanks! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 13:49   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - the front suspension has adjustable torsion bars.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram, is it advisable to adjust the torsion bars to a non-stock setting to accommodate taller tyres? In other words, is this a viable alternative to the shackle lift we do to the solid-axle jeeps? Is there some kind of camber-and-alignment chart one can use if one wishes to use a different setting?

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/...ion_bars_.aspx also seems to be a nice link for this...

Last edited by vivekjayasheel : 12th January 2013 at 13:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks