Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 19:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...I personally like the way 5 door Gurkha looks. The current face lifted 3 door one isn't to my taste.
The Gurkha has always been 3-door, I think...it was the Gama (earlier Judo) which was 5-door.

I also prefer the 5-door to the 3-door, due to practicality as a family-friendly off-road vehicle.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 25th December 2012 at 19:40.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the biggest hindrance in the minds of a customer (in case of a product like Gurkha) is not its specs, but the attitude of the company.

Unless Force motors look in to the after sales and service of their products, I donīt see this thing setting the sales chart on fire. But yes, it indeed has good potential, no doubt about that.

Quote:
if not,coupled with taller 4.1 ratio it will suffer in deep sand & muck conditions. Revised interiors is a good thing.
Vinod, you must be keeping a close eye on this one.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 22:47   #18
BHPian

That gurkha thing is got the Di turbo om616. Good low end torque unlike the thar.

I will keep a close eye on this machine, hard top , mercedes engine, superb suspension and with little cosmetic mods , it will look like a G wagen .

Force should have used the 5 cylinder om617 engine .
Frankenstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 23:40   #19
BHPian

Whatever is visible from the pictures, with this look (at least the side profile) Force will not be able to sale this vehicle much. Its not going to catch the heat in the market. It may not be able to reach the Mahindra Invader marks also. They should appoint a good designer to design their upcoming vehicles. The roof line should have been little more flat, they shouldn't have raised the roof towards the tail end of the vehicle like Bolero XL.

All the best Force.
Old 26th December 2012, 08:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Whatever is visible from the pictures, with this look (at least the side profile) Force will not be able to sale this vehicle much. Its not going to catch the heat in the market. It may not be able to reach the Mahindra Invader marks also. They should appoint a good designer to design their upcoming vehicles. The roof line should have been little more flat, they shouldn't have raised the roof towards the tail end of the vehicle like Bolero XL.

All the best Force.
Have you seen a Force Gurkha in the flesh? Beside the shattering off-road ability, its the minimalistic, butch look which makes it stand out and gathers so many admirers. The Gurkha's looks are not meant to be pleasing, just purpose-built. I'm happy that Force has gone in to improve the mechanical bits and kept the external look intact.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 11:28   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mohan for a brief review. Gurkha's main issue was lack of power and specially in low ratio. Has the low ratio been revised? If not, coupled with taller 4.1 ratio it will suffer in deep sand & muck conditions.
Dear Vinod - on 4.1, at the end of the day he needs to meet BS4, does he have a choice? One can always monkey around with the low ratio but then you know how things work! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 12:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Whatever is visible from the pictures, with this look (at least the side profile) Force will not be able to sale this vehicle much.
All the best Force.

NOT, "SO BAD" after all.
My GURKHA ,before, I gave it an off-road look :

Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune-final-my-gurkha-1.jpg
mohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

For some unknown reason, the teambhp site (and other forums) is accessible today from my office. And what a pleasant surprise to see this. Thanks a lot for the thread and nice to know about the improvements. A flatter roof would have definitely looked better but it was always like that. As few have already expressed, i also sincerely wish Force improves their customer service at least by a decent margin. Even if the 'next month' launch gets materialized in the next 6 months, by mid 2013 we should be having a highly capable, family friendly offroader on Indian roads.
Kandisa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 20:45   #24
BHPian

Its really came as sweet surprise that force motors have put their act together and are on the verge of launching the new gurkha.Its going to add some vigor to the 4*4 market .The legendary G wagen inspired looks and heart would indeed get the attention of the enthusiasts and widen the choice bracket hitherto ruled by mahindra thar .I for one will definitely give flight to fantasies once again and consider getting one for me .
regards
praveen singh
Old 26th December 2012, 21:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
NOT, "SO BAD" after all.
My GURKHA ,before, I gave it an off-road look
]
Mohan Sir, very neat review and you have a fantastic Gurkha yourself. Hope you would not mind putting a thread detailing her and her exploits.

PS. Very to try and understand on how you broke through the ECU ? What were the gains and bargains for it?
Old 26th December 2012, 22:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

PS. Very to try and understand on how you broke through the ECU ? What were the gains and bargains for it?
The VP6 Bosch is not amenable for editing by the user.
I had desperately wanted some more juice from the mill since I knew the same engine on the Tempo Traveller (TT)gives a 90BHP power rating.
The TT has a different fuel pump,nozzles and the ECU is set at different parameters. So Changing to a TT ECU couldn't help since I would have to change the fuel pump(ECU governed) and the complete wire harness for the same including the nozzles ,a very costly affair ,almost Rs 90K .
So I had been after many garages /individuals to try and modify the parameters,although the standard answer was that it couldn't be done .
Couple of months ago , I accidentally came across Abhishek , now a fast friend ,who volunteered to work on it. Being from the automobile industry specializing in this application he could break the immobilizers and changed the fuel pump and other parameters .
My Gurkha now has vastly improved power and very soon I intend to do a Dyno check to know exactly how much gain in BHP and torque has been achieved .( I have a feeling from the throttle response ,that I may have achieved a rating of 100Bhp and a significant gain in torque too).

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2013 at 06:36. Reason: Fixing quote
mohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 00:55   #27
BHPian

I saw one today, in Hyderabad, parked on the side of the road. Black. With some badass tyres and alloys. My heart skipped more than a beat. Was in a tearing hurry as I was late for a meeting or else would have taken some pics. Hope to see it again soon because if you believe in love at first sight, I've found mine!
Old 27th December 2012, 11:06   #28
BHPian

Hi Doc, long time no hear. Very nice write up on the pre-launch Gurkha. More importantly great to hear you've managed to squeeze out more bhp and torque from your baby. We should plan some offroading soon. Its been a while now..
Old 27th December 2012, 13:52   #29
BANNED

Not more than a month ago, spotted a black color (matt finish) GURKHA with no camouflage. A brand new vehicle (plastic cover still on the interior) & a red no plate & an A4 size paper on rear win shield clearly pronouncing "TEST VEHICLE", enough to make heart beat.
My only question to Bhpian, with part time off roading, will it still hold good as daily office commute vehicle ?
Eagerly awaiting for the official spec & PRICING
Old 27th December 2012, 16:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had to break the immobiliser codes on my Bosch ECU and tweak it to give my Gurkha the additional power it needed).
How did you do it sir?

Quote:
Couple of months ago , I accidentally came across Abhishek , now a fast friend ,who volunteered to work on it. Being from the automobile industry specializing in this application he could break the immobilizers and changed the fuel pump and other parameters .
My Gurkha now has vastly improved power and very soon I intend to do a Dyno check to know exactly how much gain in BHP and torque has been achieved .( I have a feeling from the throttle response ,that I may have achieved a rating of 100Bhp and a significant gain in torque too).
What exactly has he done - increased pump pressure? Yeah, and does the Gurkha have an RPM meter as OE?

Any interior pics of your lovely vehicle?

Thanks and cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed