Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 12:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

It will be interesting to see if M&M suddenly turn up with a hard top and find ways around the CMVRI regulations that have allegedly been responsible for its WW2 fit/finish/ergonomics.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 14:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I have only so much money, can mantain only one car, need my job, and need my sanity. Gurkha looks the part, but I don't think it serves what I need. At Rs.8 lakhs plus, it is not possible to pleasure the heart over the head.
Looking at your laundry list, a mall-going Suv is what probably fits you best. Neither the Gurkha nor the Thar can probably meet even one percent of your wants or needs. This is most definitely not for you. No offense.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd January 2013 at 22:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post in full. Thanks.
roy_libran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 21:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Looking at your laundry list, a mall-going Suv is what probably fits you best. Neither the Gurkha nor the Thar can probably meet even one percent of your wants or needs. This is most definitely not for you. No offense.
None taken. The market for a compact modern vehicle within 10 lakhs with high ground clearance and with 4x4 for only touring needs (and not upto the kit levels required for sports off roading) remains untapped, and is an opportunity wasted by these manufacturers.

Last edited by manolin : 7th January 2013 at 22:07.
manolin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 00:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

None taken. The market for a compact modern vehicle within 10 lakhs with high ground clearance and with 4x4 for only touring needs (and not upto the kit levels required for sports off roading) remains untapped, and is an opportunity wasted by these manufacturers.
This is not what the Gurkha is intended to be. It is supposed to be a relatively comfortable, hard-core off-roader which can also be used for touring seating five in comfort.
A Gurkha lets you go off-road at a much higher comfort level than anything else, and for a few crazy blokes like me, practical enough as a daily drive too...
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 00:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Your requirements are based more on comfort rather than ruggedness .
I suggest the Gurkha or the Thar is definitely not a vehicle for you .

Typical Offroaders such as the above are designed differently ,have different requirements and use different gear ratios ,axles and transfer cases which increase the manufacturing cost .

More or less an airconditioner , power steering ,power brakes ,an inbuilt music system ,comfortable seating and ride is what I would be satisfied with my 4x4 vehicle .

Should I need dual air cons with a heater,immobiliser,keyless entry ,fridge,height adjustable seats etc ,I would be looking at say a Fortuner , Endeavor , Landrover ,Mercedes G class which unfortunately start from 25 lakh onwards.

So your question should rather be aimed at Toyota , Ford ,Mercedes etc (foreign players)as to why they cant come up with a 4x4 SUV at a price tag of less than 10 lakh (fulfilling all your requirements!!!!)
mohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 04:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I have only so much money, can mantain only one car, need my job, and need my sanity. Gurkha looks the part, but I don't think it serves what I need. At Rs.8 lakhs plus, it is not possible to pleasure the heart over the head.
Look at the Duster instead of Gurkha.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd January 2013 at 22:53. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts in full. Thanks.
sabret00the is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 11:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
Jeepbug - can we have some pics, please?
Sure i am attaching them ,but somehow they are not uploading
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune-cam00091.jpg  

Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune-cam00094.jpg  

Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune-cam00095.jpg  

jeepbug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 11:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Hi I am also in Mohali. if its convenient to you, may I request a drive of your vehicle. I am seriously considering buying a Gurkha and it would help to have driven one first. Thanks. You do not have PM privileges it seems, hence I am posting here.

Vikram.
Dear Vikram i will be more than happy to allow you a test drive.
you are welcome any time to chandigarh, or if you want i can come to manali.
Regards
Dr Gurpreet
Old 16th January 2013, 15:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbug View Post
Sure i am attaching them ,but somehow they are not uploading
Hi,

the Gurkha looks really neat in black, I had the Olive green Judo; this looks much better.

The 1st pic has alloys on the Gurkha, while the other 2 are the stock wheel caps; are these before/after pictures? If you could clarify.

If possible some pictures of the interiors too please, along with details of any modifications or addition you may have done.

What model Gurkha is this ?

How does it handle on the highway, especially over 100 kmph

Sorry for the list of questions but having owned a Force product im very excited to see the improvements made

cheers

Kundan
Old 16th January 2013, 19:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Vikram i will be more than happy to allow you a test drive.
you are welcome any time to chandigarh, or if you want i can come to manali.
Regards
Dr Gurpreet
Thanks Dr Sahib, anything convenient to you should be fine. Are you a dentist by any chance and happen to know one merchant navy captain from Mohali with the same name as yourself ?
Old 17th January 2013, 20:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

What are the chances that the new specs will be available on the Gamma? Is it actually possible to order for the Gamma in 4WD?
Old 20th January 2013, 21:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Are you a dentist by any chance and happen to know one merchant navy captain from Mohali with the same name as yourself ?
Hi, yes i am a dentist and do know Gurupreet bawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
The 1st pic has alloys on the Gurkha, while the other 2 are the stock wheel caps; are these before/after pictures? If you could clarify.

If possible some pictures of the interiors too please, along with details of any modifications or addition you may have done.
,i sold the alloys and geolander at tyres,i dont know how to upload pictures can email them to you,2008 model,never touched 100 kmph on it, its illegal.

it is really well made rugged machine ,i am thankful to its seller for maintaining it so well

Note from Support - Please read the forum rules here. Refer to rule # 5b and #7 please.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th January 2013 at 15:18. Reason: posts merged
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, yes i am a dentist and do know Gurupreet bawa
Dr Sahib we are third generation friends almost like brothers. You know I told him one day that I have requested a fellow bhpian for a test drive and he was like ..ohh meinu dassin, I have a doc friend who also has one and we can request him for a proper test drive.

Its great to know you. Do come over, Deepak has gone for his contract and will be back towards March. Ill take your number from him and come and meet you one day.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It will be interesting to see if M&M suddenly turn up with a hard top and find ways around the CMVRI regulations that have allegedly been responsible for its WW2 fit/finish/ergonomics.
I couldn't agree more. I am a potential customer of the Thar. I went as far ahead as to take a test drive, loved the mechanicals but was sorely disappointed on the fit/finish/ergonomics. It is about time that Mahindra seriously gave a vehicle which was actually worth 8 lacs on road. I don't see any problems to the 'business case' as any improvements will only bring in more volumes. I had postponed my decision by about six months thinking that the hard top may come in.
However, with the Gurkha now coming in the picture there may be no need to wait for a 'decent' Thar. Keeping my fingers crossed that Force deliver a spot on product.
Does anybody have any idea whether Tata are planning anything in this space. They have the Defender. Surely, 'Indigenisation' of that robust platform is not so difficult "
Old 24th January 2013, 14:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
+1

I followed a new Thar for about 10 minutes on a bright sunny morning and concluded that they never took any Thar for a reflection test to check the finish and paint job. It is downright pathetic and may be worse than a job by local street side denting-painting workshop.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks