Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 11:43   #76
BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

Following from Zee business news artocle today:
Price: 6 to 8 lakhs
BS IV compliant

"Zeebiz Bureau

New Delhi: Force Motors Gurkha 4X4 SUV is likely to be launched next week as per media reports. The car will be reportedly launched as early as February 15.

The 4X4 vehicle will compete with Mahindra’s Thar, reports further said. The Gurkha will be based on the Mercedes Benz G Wagen platform. The price of the SUV is expected to range between Rs six and eight Lakh.

Gurkha, the facelift version of the older Gurkha model will be launched with added features both internal and external. In the exteriors the vehicle will see changes in its headlights, alloy wheels.

There is a change in its engine too. Force Gurkha will have 2.6 litre diesel engine producing 76 PS power and 185 Nm torque, mated to a five speed manual transmission. Added to this, the engine will be BSIV compliant as well."
Old 12th February 2013, 11:24   #77
BHPian

Here is the link to Autocar website which says it will be launched on Feb 15th.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/331...+Articles+feed

I wish they had also offered an option of 4 doors so that I could consider it for my farm use!

According to the AC website they are first launching the BSIII version, to be followed by a BSIV later.

I took a TD when they first launched the Trax with OM616. May be I should TD the 'new car' after a few decades!

Hope the build quality improves, since most Trax bodies were almost hand built and were prone to rust and rattles.
Old 12th February 2013, 12:23   #78
Senior - BHPian

As per IAB report (here - http://indianautosblog.com/2013/02/f...n-feb-15-63323) the Gurkha will be 82 bhp (not 76 ps, as reported above).

The wheels will be slightly bigger @ 245/70-16 & the interiors could be newer & dual tone. Hope the fit & finish & ergonomics are better than the previous iteration.
Old 12th February 2013, 13:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonya View Post
Here is the link to Autocar website which says it will be launched on Feb 15th.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/331...+Articles+feed

I wish they had also offered an option of 4 doors so that I could consider it for my farm use!

According to the AC website they are first launching the BSIII version, to be followed by a BSIV later.

I took a TD when they first launched the Trax with OM616. May be I should TD the 'new car' after a few decades!

Hope the build quality improves, since most Trax bodies were almost hand built and were prone to rust and rattles.
Although 4 Doors would have really helped, but I doubt the short wheelbase can accommodate the same. A longer wheelbase, would compromise the vehicle's abilities. They definitely should have the 4 door as an option though.

Regarding Rust - I don't know how many eons back you took a TD to opine so! My Gurkha (4.5 yrs old) has no rusting issues, and it has seen it's share of slush and water crossings.

Regarding Rattles - Some rattles would definitely be there. After all this is a truck! It gets a bit louder after each off-road and then you can get a periodic tightening and greasing done and everything is again quiet until your next offroad. Isn't that the same with all Jeeps?

^ CARDEEP - 245/70/16 is Smaller than 7.5x16. You lose circa. 1/2 inch Ground clearance, but it's not a big deal, is what I have learnt.

Last edited by roy_libran : 12th February 2013 at 13:06.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 13:36   #80
BHPian

@ roy_libran
Agree, it was eons back. That's why I qualified saying when they launched the Trax

I considered the Gurkha around 6 years ago before I settled for Corolla. But they said I cannot register in Hyderabad since it was BSIII or less, not too sure now.

Nice to hear that the body holds through, I agree that for a 4x4 probably one cannot avoid rattles. I do remember, again eons ago, that I had to 'set' the doors of my fiat every month, though the costs were very low!

Your post kind of motivates me to definitely TD when it is launched.
soonya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 15:09   #81
Senior - BHPian

Even I am considering the same Soonya - actually negotiating more than considering, with my wife - How about owning a second Gurkha in the family.
Old 12th February 2013, 15:29   #82
BHPian

the FB page of the "SUV Force One" confirms the launch:
Quote:
Great news for all the real off – roaders. The Force Gurkha is getting launched on February 15th, 2013.
Old 12th February 2013, 16:28   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
the FB page of the "SUV Force One" confirms the launch:
Interesting rendering of the artist's image on the FB page:
1. Winch bumper with integrated offroad headlights.
2. Jerry can on the side.
3. Roof mounted lights.

Hope one can accesorize the Gurkha with these offroad goodies straight out of company showroom.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Der all - hmm, this should make the game interesting now. This segment is going places, I can smell some serious volumes here! Hope this segment really gets the product that it deserves, who brings it, at what cost and value proposition remains a matter of conjecture.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 13th February 2013 at 09:19. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 11:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Der all - hmm, this should make the game interesting now. This segment is going places, I can smell some serious volumes here! Hope this segment really gets the product that it deserves, who brings it, at what cost and value proposition remains a matter of conjecture.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Dhabar,
I read and try to 'understand' each one of your posts.
I am intrigued by the word 'conjecture' used by you in the above post.
Come 15th Feb and the new Gurkha will not be conjecture and the rumored hard top Thar is likely to be even more expensive than the current one.
Can we expect a cost and value proposition from a 3rd manufacturer this year Sir?
Best Regards,
Harsh.
Old 13th February 2013, 14:03   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshD View Post
Dear Mr. Dhabhar, I read and try to 'understand' each one of your posts. I am intrigued by the word 'conjecture' used by you in the above post. Come 15th Feb and the new Gurkha will not be conjecture and the rumored hard top Thar is likely to be even more expensive than the current one. Can we expect a cost and value proposition from a 3rd manufacturer this year Sir? Best Regards, Harsh.
Dear Harsh - hello to you. Please read my statement in totality. What I meant to say was that this segment is expanding, the target customer is recognizing the value proposition that these vehicles give to him. In other words, this segment is no longer "niche", it is well on its way to becoming mainstream. It is this advance recognition of the market dynamics which brought Thar to life. Its actual sales volumes far outweigh anything envisaged, that itself indicates how this segment is moving. Now with this background, please weigh all the "pros and cons" of all the three manufacturers and post your comments. I still hope that this segment gets the product that it really deserves. Who will get it still remains a matter of conjecture. As of now, I do not have that answer but whoever gets it will enjoy the success that serious volumes will bring! The big question is - what to get? That's where "Product Clarity" and "Customer Insight" come into play. .

I had shown the opportunity way back on 21 December 2010, its an executive decision, that's what executives are for, to take decisions!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:44   #87
BHPian

Meanwhile, in Force Motors land;
I called up a dealer around Mumbai to confirm launch:
Me: I called to enquire about the Force Gurkha
Showroom: Sir, that car is not available.
Me: Yes, I Know, I have heard that it will be launched on the 15th.
Showroom: No Sir, the car is out of manufacture.
Me: You don't know about the impending launch?
Showroom: No Sir. We have not heard anything about it. Why don't you call after a couple of days and recheck. Maybe we will also know some info by then.

My impressions:
1. No smoke and mirrors.
2. The Showroom person genuinely believed that the Gurkha was and is out of manufacture.
3. I am nervous about the dealer product knowledge and training.

Deja vu anybody ?
HarshD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 16:00   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Deja vu anybody ?
Which dealer did you call, the commercial vehicle dealer or their new "personal vehicle" dealer ?

Since we know that this is a "niche" product as of now, its quite possible that Force Motors will try and sell it through their Personal Vehicle dealers rather than the Commercial Vehicle dealers.

P.S. However, this is mere speculation on my part.
Old 13th February 2013, 16:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I called up a dealer around Mumbai to confirm launch:
Me: I called to enquire about the Force Gurkha
Showroom: Sir, that car is not available.
Me: Yes, I Know, I have heard that it will be launched on the 15th.
Showroom: No Sir, the car is out of manufacture.
Me: You don't know about the impending launch?
Showroom: No Sir. We have not heard anything about it. Why don't you call after a couple of days and recheck. Maybe we will also know some info by then.

My impressions:
1. No smoke and mirrors.
2. The Showroom person genuinely believed that the Gurkha was and is out of manufacture.
3. I am nervous about the dealer product knowledge and training.

Deja vu anybody ?
At least guys back at home (Pune) are aware about launch on 15th. The only thing which was they were not sure - "Gurkha will share display with ForceOne in SB road display or not"
Old 13th February 2013, 17:23   #90
BHPian

On 15 February launch under PVD (personal vehicle division) are

1) Force Gurkha
2) Force one 4x4 with ABS (Top End)
3) Force one with TDI engine (base version)

Internal launch happened on 11 February, media launch is on 15 February at Noida in International Bus & Utility Vehicle Show 2013.
007 Bond is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks