Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 15:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hi.

Asking a very stupid question, experts kindly reply

Is MM440 same as what is captioned above? MM ISZ? 440 also comes with a petrol engine. I am not sure whether it is a 3 speed or 4 speed. but it is a monster offroad.

Andy
As far as i know Andy (am no expert though), 440 came with the hurricane while this ISZ comes with the Isuzu 1.8.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 1st August 2013 at 15:43.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
As far as i know Andy (am no expert though), 440 came with the hurricane while this ISZ comes with the Isuzu 1.8.
Cheers,
Deepak

Did the ISZ come before 440 or after? and which is the superior one 440 or ISZ. I am glued to this thread.

Andy
Old 1st August 2013, 16:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the ISZ come before 440 or after? and which is the superior one 440 or ISZ. I am glued to this thread.

Andy
Dear Andy,
As far as i know, ISZ came much later than 440.
And i am not sure which is superior, maybe some experts can pitch in.
I however had a blast checking out Jammy's yellow 440 and that would be my pick anyday over the ISZ.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers,
Deepak
Quote:
Dear Andy,
As far as i know, ISZ came much later than 440.
And i am not sure which is superior, maybe some experts can pitch in.
I however had a blast checking out Jammy's yellow 440 and that would be my pick anyday over the ISZ.
Cheers,
Deepak
Dear Deepak,

I too have done extensive offroading in Jammy's yellow 440, hence my question

Andy
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:32   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Andy
Andy, AFAIK, even though petrol powered, both are very different vehicles.
  • The 440 is a C-Section vehicle, whereas the ISZ is an NGCS.
  • The 440 comes with carb hurricane engine, whereas the ISZ comes with a MPFi 1.8 Isuzu engine.
  • The 440 is a 4 speed KMT 90 + T-18 GB whereas the ISZ is 5 speed Isuzu trooper CB + TC (or BW?)
  • The 440 is 51" front closed knucke, drum brake and back 51" SFRA whereas the ISZ is 57" OKBJ with disc brake and booster and back 53" FFRA with LSD(?)
  • The 440 steering is old gen 540 where as ISZ has MRCBT.
  • The 440 is 139.7 PCD, whereas the ISZ is 160 PCD.

In short both of them are entirely different. Its like asking if the MM540 is a better offroader, or the NGCS. Both have their own positives and negatives.

However, the ISZ is newer..
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know, MM ISZ came in early 2000 with ISZ powered petrol engine (same engine which used to come in Petrol Amby) , NGCS chassis, front disc with booster and 5+R gearbox.
At least i saw above configuration Jeep in blue color being delivered to my relative in 2000. And what i got to know from him is they specifically ordered this config. And yes, it didnt come with front plastic grill as mentioned few pages back.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
As far as i know, MM ISZ came in early 2000 with ISZ powered petrol engine (same engine which used to come in Petrol Amby) , NGCS chassis, front disc with booster and 5+R gearbox.
At least i saw above configuration Jeep in blue color being delivered to my relative in 2000. And what i got to know from him is they specifically ordered this config. And yes, it didnt come with front plastic grill as mentioned few pages back.

Shubhendra

And what is the reason Mahindra dropped this monster from their line up? It wasnt selling being a petrol? I feel very sick at this moment thinking about this

Andy
Old 1st August 2013, 17:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And what is the reason Mahindra dropped this monster from their line up? It wasnt selling being a petrol? I feel very sick at this moment thinking about this

Andy
Andy, IIRC, it was sold in few numbers (~1500?), only to government.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 17:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Andy, IIRC, it was sold in few numbers (~1500?), only to government.

So which departments in the govt have these
Jeeps, now they would sell in scrap, and I would like to lay my hands on these beauties. Sigh ..

Andy
Old 1st August 2013, 19:06   #40
BHPian

There is one available in Delhi Scrap Market & One is available in the 2nd page itself . But any one know about rear Diff ? LSD or Not !!
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:37   #41
BHPian

Somewhere in the middle of my SPOA spotted one of these beauties. I was driving past the Salem scrap yard market towards the lorry mechanics area to fit a new radiator for one of my rigs. The pic says it all

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-screenshot_20131002112124.png

So walked back to the place where i saw this and luckily the owner was still there. He had come to pick some used spares for his truck. So after getting to know a few details I asked him if he was willing to sell it. The owner flatly refused saying that he was not interested in selling and quite blunt at it. The rains soon poured and I was stuck there for about half an hour when small talk slowly started. So by now, he was a bit more approachable with conversion ranging from topic to topic. Just as I was about to leave I managed to give him my card as well as take down his number.

Did make the first call a week later and by the end of the month the sale was completed. The odo read 40224 when I picked it with top condition. Just around August i had sold my family car, a fiesta classic with the intension of picking an Ertiga this diwali. Now I think that this will be shopping for this diwali
commander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:06   #42
BHPian

A couple of pics of the isuzu
Attached Images

commander is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Buying and running a MM ISZ in todays time speaks a lot about ones passion. A very capable vehicle and looks pure in its looks. If you don't mind my asking @commander, what does your business card say that you finalised the sale within a month and that too from a reluctant seller?
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Buying and running a MM ISZ in todays time speaks a lot about ones passion. A very capable vehicle and looks pure in its looks. If you don't mind my asking @commander, what does your business card say that you finalised the sale within a month and that too from a reluctant seller?
Well what can I say, just coincidence. Just to put a bigger picture. The seller buying old truck parts means that he too is in the transport business and that owing a petrol jeep is like a tank for us. All specs original which means even the two tyres (sep 99) still running in it. So sparingly used and my guess is that he found it as a alternative as a large family car instead of a omni given his rare usage. Had an lpg kit in it so u can understand. Happened to mention he picked it from a relative and my guess would be just around a lakh. He did have an idea to make it diesel but his usage of around 8000km in the past two years did not warrant it.

So what do I do. Check the papers and all in current and the vehicle. Then research how much I can pick up a ngcs for. Do a bit of study to see ifs its possible. Since you see a reluctant seller you pay the premium at the cost of sacrificing your second car ( a modest ertiga at best for this diwali). My business card would simply read as a upper middle class person. Given the circumstances what would you do sirji, let this beauty slip or take your chances with it?
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Bharani, you should get it tuned and get the carburettor (If it is not FI) replaced with a performance unit. Get it ported, free flow exhausts and you will have about 115 bhp!
jyobeb is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks