Team-BHP - PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/131376-pics-rare-mm550-ngcs-4wd-1-8l-petrol.html)

I was in for a very plesant surprise when I saw this 540 (or 550?) next to my Hosur mechanic shop. It came for a water wash and literally they washed it down!! The petrol engine refused to start and its been for over a week...

---SPECS---

MM 540 (550?, I really dont know)
NGCS Chassis
FFRA rear axle
OKBJ in front
Looks like 57-53 combo
1.8 Liter PETROL MPFI ISUZU engine
BA10 (or a NGT520) type aluminium body slender GB (I didnt get down under for under body pics)
BONE STOCK to the last detail
A TamilNadu govt jeep

How I wish this comes up for auction, sigh!!

I have never seen this elusive Beauty... So decided to capture some pics, let me know if you guys want more, Its not going anywhere for some time!!

I searched for a dedicated thread for the petrol 5x0, didnt get a match, so lets dedicate a thread for this RARE MM...

ANY more details gurus can add for posterity is welcomed here... not many would know or have seen one. How I wish I could just drive for a KM in a trail to feel how a petrol NGCS would feel, sigh!
please:

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-001.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-002.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-003.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-004.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-005.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-006.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-007.jpg

PICS : The rare MM550. NGCS, 4WD & 1.8L PETROL-picture-008.jpg

Santosh, this is the same one that we saw last saturday rt?

If this is MM540 with petrol engine, what is MM440? I mean, what is the difference in specification between this and MM440.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArunV (Post 3017031)
...what is the difference in specification between this and MM440.

The MM440 came with the F-head Hurricane, KMT-90 and T-18, if I'm not incorrect. :)

Cheers,
Rahul

Yes Arun, the same one. I was 50% sure it was a petrol 5x0, but when I went near it I was plesantly shocked to see the ngcs part, etc etc...

It looks like a fairly recent vehicle registration, TN-29 G XXXX which means a government vehicle in Dharmapuri district in Tamilnadu. I think the engine has been changed to petrol because why would the government buy a petrol 4x4 Jeep(Diesel saves costs). Also, it might be an auctioned vehicle and the bid winner changing the engine(just speculating).

Another observation I had was the front Fascia plastic cladding. Did a 540/550 ever come with such plastic cladding a la Armada?
The battery appears to have been removed.

Off topic: I like your tag line(Arya has begun walking, thats nice)

Santhosh,

Same kind of jeep is there at Wayanad bought from Delhi . It was used by J&K police. MM550 ISZ ,comes with the Isuzu 1.8L petrol engine & Isuzu gearbox which came on bolero sports. It also had a body graphics on both side
through doors.

- Sreejesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakchow (Post 3017129)
I think the engine has been changed to petrol because why would the government buy a petrol 4x4 Jeep(Diesel saves costs). Also, it might be an auctioned vehicle and the bid winner changing the engine(just speculating).

Another observation I had was the front Fascia plastic cladding. Did a 540/550 ever come with such plastic cladding a la Armada?
The battery appears to have been removed.

nope

totally a OE stock petrol 5x0 and still owned by govt :)

sree - yes, JK had a lot of these.

This IIRC is one of the very 1st NGCS 5xx vehicles that was released. If I'm right, they were launched from 2001. A person who lives very close to my house in Wayanad has an immaculately maintained blue version of this.

This one came with Izuzu engine, Izuzu GB, NGCS, MRCBT or rather, except for the engine and GB, everything was similar with an Army NGCS 550.

I think, the MM440 was a C-Section vehicle.

Though i am no jeeper,but i still remember this being launched during late 90's(yes with petrol Isuzu engine),the front grill is stock and came from factory,and as someone mentioned earlier,it had graphics on doors,there was one in use by police force,and then it just vanished.

It would be interesting to know from where Mahindra would have sourced these petrol engines. Perhaps, Dhabar Behram, if ever he see this thread, could throw some light on this product.

Dhanush, yes this has the MRCBT, non-power assist.

Does anyone know the GB model on this jeep? Not in a hurry, tomm I will slide under for some underbody pics and GB/Tcase model pics.

edit
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 3017418)
It would be interesting to know from where Mahindra would have sourced these petrol engines. Perhaps Dhabar Behram, if ever he see this thread, could throw some light on this product.

IIRC Hindustan Motors. This Drive train was a direct lift from the AMBY, experts?

EDIT2

Its called MM ISZ-Petrol

Details from this site ( SEE EXCEL)
http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/mm-ra...ification.html

MM ISZ.xlsx

Wow, now this is a rare piece indeed. I wonder why they stopped manufacturing this. It would have been a good option available to people to at least get a petrol option.
Thank you Santosh, boy you sure do have an eye for picking out these gems.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 3017424)
Its called MM ISZ-Petrol

Santosh, I guess its called MM 540/550 ISZ. Most vehicles are, MM550 ISZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajeev k (Post 3017418)
It would be interesting to know from where Mahindra would have sourced these petrol engines. Perhaps, Dhabar Behram, if ever he see this thread, could throw some light on this product.

Dear Rajeev and all - ah, so finally the MM ISUZU is on TeamBHP. These vehicles were made in Kandivli plant around 2004 when the NGCS "finally" came on the short wheelbase (MM platform). The engine was from Hindustan Motors (Contessa MPFI). It had huge startability issues due to the inline fuel pump used. Fuel efficiency was a measly 5kmpl. Contessa engine parts will fit. Best of luck!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 3017569)
These vehicles were made in Kandivli plant around 2004 when the NGCS "finally" came on the short wheelbase (MM platform).

Sir, my neighbor has one of these. Its from JK police and the model is 2001. Any idea its released to civilians?