Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD

Hey Thar4x4,
Congrats on completing the 10,000kms milestone.One of my close friend also owns one although just a month and half old.The amount of road presence it has is simply mind-blowing.Atleast 2 people ask him about the Thar everyday he has got used to it now.The main thing remaining is the Hard-Top which will be installed soon.
Here is a picture of the Thar.
Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-.facebook_665827425.jpg
dean5545 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey Thar4x4,
Congrats on completing the 10,000kms milestone.One of my close friend also owns one although just a month and half old.The amount of road presence it has is simply mind-blowing.Atleast 2 people ask him about the Thar everyday he has got used to it now.The main thing remaining is the Hard-Top which will be installed soon.
Here is a picture of the Thar.
Attachment 1147072
Very good looking alloys! Can you please get some details on where he got them from?

Also how much those offroad bumpers cost?
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:31   #63
BHPian

The alloys are ONYX brand and is available at many stores in santacruz area.However he has purchased it from Bhayander. Regarding the bumpers they are the expedition kit bumpers don't know the exact cost of it.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Regarding the bumpers they are the expedition kit bumpers don't know the exact cost of it.
It costs about 10,300. I have it installed in my Thar (1.5 months old).
Old 9th October 2013, 12:11   #65
BHPian

Updates:
Targa band is silent now

I didn't imagined that only 3 brackets will bring a big change, now the door rattle is totally stopped. Brackets will get black paint shortly with rear bumper ends.

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-602052_10202024120874082_290462195_n.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1069377_10202024121314093_37120275_n.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1381482_10202024121034086_1895249201_n.jpg

Most awaited upgrade, music system installed.

Pioneer MIXTRAX HU

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1384319_10202091299153497_1988972062_n.jpg

JBL 400W for rear

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1384045_10202091296713436_1787284514_n.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1377393_10202091297753462_375683581_n.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1383667_10202091298513481_882601910_n.jpg

Pioneer 280 W 6" for front.

Right side position OK however left side speaker is hitting the seat when the seat is in extreme back position, one have to pull it forward to save the speaker hitting cushion.

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-1375655_10202091295433404_1882322940_n.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-459647_483719818362766_1261810112_o.jpg

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:25   #66
BHPian

TBHP MODS: I am writing following post considering all the TBHP rules and policies, if you feel I am violating any rule or policy of forum please fell free to remove/delete the whole post or content.

Updates/Latest News on Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD weak/sinking brakes:

I purchased Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD on 27th Dec 2012, my Jeep has completed 10500 in this month and it is short of 4500 km and 2 months for the end of warranty. I am continuously struggling to raise the brake issue with M&M customer care and ASC. I have visited ASC for brake check up twice as per company advice and have paid for consumable to check their faulty/weak/sinking brake. To my shock, I was told by a ASC service manager that usually 4 wheel drive vehicles come with weak breaks, so probably was not a good option for me. Instead, I should have gone for some other vehicle such as the Scorpio. Finally the issue got closed with no success and with no updates from the company.

Two days ago I have posted a long text on Mahindra Thar Face Book page however they didn't bothered to even reply or send a message if they are afraid to accept/reply in public.

A common white collar man always suffers in India while dealing with any authority. We don't have policies and regulations and any company can fool customers easily. Same has happened with me, I bought 8 + L vehicle as it's my passion and love towards the Jeep and waited patiently for company to get back on weak brake issue however they kept me waiting till warranty ends.

What is Mahindra Rise, and their customer eccentricity?

'Live young, live free,' doesn't mean driving faulty braking vehicle and finally die or kill?

I know the easily way is to get the parts which are suggested on forum and upgrade as done by many members here.
But my question is:
1. Why should I pay for the faulty function/parts which company has installed for the sake of cost cutting?
2. Brake is a major function in any vehicle, so why to play with it without company support?

I know that it's Jeep but that doesn't mean you can put any age old system in it and sell it in market for price tag of 8 L. I bought this vehicle after considering all limitations like interior, soft top, upholstery as it is not big deal to source these things from after market. But boss! I didn't expected that I will have to pray God for every instance of braking.

Sometime ago I rear ended into a Maruti Omini in heavy traffic and have paid 5 K to the guy not because it was my mistake but because I am driving a vehicle with faulty brakes.

Now I have following options:

1. Sell the vehicle and work hard to earn the money which I lost in it.
2. Upgrade the brakes with own money and drive the same vehicle with still non reliable brakes.
3. Keep fighting with company.

For now I have chosen the third option and I will fight as I have put my hard earned money in this vehicle and I will not let it go easily.

So why am I posting it here?
Many people follow the reviews on TBHP, so just want to give them an idea about the limitations of this vehicle, and the poor customer support service of the company. I will be happy if I could even save a single customer from wasting his hard earned money.

I will appreciate if Thar/Jeep fans stay away from advising me to move to European /Japanese vehicle as I know what is Jeep and I have been travelling in Jeep since the age of 3 and have learned driving on Tata 407. But now we are in 2013 and my fight is with the company and not with the Thar.

I still love my Thar from my heart.

Thanks,

Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
The rear seat and spacers are from Rohan George, Rogeotech. This is the best ready made seat I found in market for Thar. Its is totally VFM.
Is Rogeotech the dealer who sold you the rear seats. This is actually the Qualis two-seater middle row seat.

Could you please elaborate on your "sinking" brake issue.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 13:46   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Is Rogeotech the dealer who sold you the rear seats. This is actually the Qualis two-seater middle row seat.

Could you please elaborate on your "sinking" brake issue.
Yes I got it from Rogeotech, I guess it is custom made frame as there is no stock seat which can fit between the 2 wheel arches in 34" space.

About the brakes, When I push the brake the paddle travels half distance with absolutely no brake then shows some resistance to moving vehicle but that is not guaranteed as well. If somehow vehicles stops and If I keep the brake paddle pressed the paddle sinks more till bottom.

If I pump brake paddle 2/3 times before actually applying the brakes or keep brake paddle in use, (push and release 2/3 times just to ensure that it will operate when needed) it works better compare to urgent braking.

Any non technical guy can say that, required vacuum is not building up for braking or there is leakage somewhere in brake pipes, I observed vehicle on ramp and there no damage or anything wrong with braking system.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th October 2013, 14:47   #69
BHPian

Don't know about 2013 but the ASC of Maruti was also quite pathetic in 2001. My car had a warped front disc which caused dangerous and loud shuddering if brakes were applied at 100+ kmph. I had to get both front discs changed at my expense outside the ASC. Thankfully it was a Maruti part so total spend was less than 1000/-. Since ours is not a litigious auto market like USA's, there is little we can do about this sh*t. No ASC gives a rat's a** about t-bhp either. I would suggest u get the brakes bled by a competent non-ASC mechanic. That, I think will solve ur issue.

Last edited by vivekjayasheel : 11th October 2013 at 14:51.
vivekjayasheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 14:54   #70
BANNED

Quote:
What is Mahindra Rise, and their customer eccentricity?

'Live young, live free,' doesn't mean driving faulty braking vehicle and finally die or kill?

Quote:
2. Brake is a major function in any vehicle, so why to play with it without company support?

Quote:
Now I have following options:

1. Sell the vehicle and work hard to earn the money which I lost in it.
2. Upgrade the brakes with own money and drive the same vehicle with still non reliable brakes.
3. Keep fighting with company.

Vishal
This is way much serious . If anyone gets so annoyed & irritated with your product, I think this is a BIG wake-up time for the company & address the issues.

There is no point in giving slogans like " Mahindra RISE " , if you cant address some simple issue like brakes.

I mean after all the guy is not asking a redesigned vehicle for free ??

Whats Wrong with M&M ?? Cant they just listen to customer feedback ??

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I got it from Rogeotech, I guess it is custom made frame as there is no stock seat which can fit between the 2 wheel arches in 34" space.
No, it is the Qualis second row two seater. I know because I have the same. Anyhow does not matter.

Quote:
About the brakes, When I push the brake the paddle travels half distance with absolutely no brake then shows some resistance to moving vehicle but that is not guaranteed as well. If somehow vehicles stops and If I keep the brake paddle pressed the paddle sinks more till bottom.

If I pump brake paddle 2/3 times before actually applying the brakes or keep brake paddle in use, (push and release 2/3 times just to ensure that it will operate when needed) it works better compare to urgent braking.

Any non technical guy can say that, required vacuum is not building up for braking or there is leakage somewhere in brake pipes, I observed vehicle on ramp and there no damage or anything wrong with braking system.

Thanks,
Vishal
Yes you are right, prima facie seems to do with the vacuum pump. But I can assure you that this is not a NORMAL problem with every Thar.

As per the brake issue associated with the Thar from company side, full depression of the brake MAY not lead to full stop, causing one to depress the brake for a second time.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 15:33   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
As per the brake issue associated with the Thar from company side, full depression of the brake MAY not lead to full stop, causing one to depress the brake for a second time.
I say that is a completely wrong thing to happen in first place, even my 45 year old Land Rover does not have Double Pedal brakes. Mind it that it has all drum brakes on the four wheels & does not even have a tandem master cylinder , it has a single 1" size master cylinder. Now whats the use of the " Booster" & " front discs " ?? If a vehicle of 2012 manufacture is taking a double pedal to stop ?? Am I driving some old vintage Ford T ??

I mean this is Wrong if we are talking about a vehicle which has a BS 4 badge !

Come on M&M, Rise the pedal at least

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

THAR4x4 I understand your dilema.

You will lose a lot of money if you sell your THAR.

My suggestion is that spend about Rs. 13,000 to 14,000 and upgrade to the Scorpio brake system.

Meanwhile check the following :

Front brake pads and rear brake shoes ( they can get worn out ) depending on an individuals driving style.

Get the wheel cylinders checked.

Have a look at the vacumn pump behing the alternator, observe for engine oil leaks if any.

Check if there is any obstruction under your brake pedal system, get under the vehicle please. Look at the return spring.

Had you been in Delhi the dealership ASC would have helped you but unfortunately Pune is too far away, all I know of your city is Radisson Hotel, Taj Vivanta Blue Diamond, Airport and Railway station!

Sudarshan also lives in Pune, why not refer your vehicle to him for a lookover ?

Last edited by desertfox : 11th October 2013 at 17:08.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

.....There is no point in giving slogans like " Mahindra RISE " , if you cant address some simple issue like brakes.

I mean after all the guy is not asking a redesigned vehicle for free ??

Whats Wrong with M&M ?? Cant they just listen to customer feedback ??
Sudarshan

They are family owned and the family is stupid 2nd, 3rd generation dolts who obtained their positions by knowing uncle Rahul, not by knowing stress analysis or calculus. They are not interested in listening to customers.

As many of you know, I am a foreigner, I am not an Indian citizen, but I live here.

So, a question: is it possible to file a class action suit, a national sueing of M&M for example, for failure to honor its warranties, failure to provide parts, failure to fix known production line problems....

OR

are customers forced into some customer complaint bureaucracy or some small claims litigation?

In other words, can we sue Mahindra directly for poor service/no service and no parts? Can many dissatisfied customers join such a suit and can such a suit be made known to the national media?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 11th October 2013 at 17:33.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 17:38   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[i]
'Live young, live free,' doesn't mean driving faulty braking vehicle and finally die or kill? ........
I still love my Thar from my heart.
Unfortunately, it seems they mean that you may not 'Get old' and be 'freed form this worlds's grind' when you use Thar's brake in any emergency.

Deep in my heart, i want to buy one too but my brain always overpowers the heart. I will buy one if the issues with brakes are sorted.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed