Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 10:11   #91
BANNED

Re: Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Its just brake issue if your are driving daily in bumper to bumper traffic.
Even that is not a big issue, I have driven it . Those were adequate.

Look at it positively

Those make you more alert

Those make you focus on driving (than any other thing around).

In a way you feel young (I felt so) & makes you live long .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 10:18   #92
BHPian

After talking to many people I've realised that not all Thars are bad even though there are some lemons in the lot. Unfortunately there is no way for the customer to figure out if what he is getting is a lemon or a peach. I just completed the Raid de Himalaya in my Thar and for the entire journey from Mumbai to Shimla to RDH and back to Delhi the only thing that gave way was a hand brake wire. So looks like I landed a peach and not a lemon. Btw, there were 4 Thars in the RDH this year and 3 of 4 finished the rally without much trouble - so all evidence to point out that the vehicle is reliable.[/quote]

I tend to agree. I guess even i have landed a peach. My Thar hasn't been to ASC or any mechanic for anything other than change of fluids (as suggested by Beharam Sir). And i plan to even stop that once my warranty expires next month. Maybe, forum member can compare notes and check if a particular batch of vehicles had problems.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:51   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
My Thar hasn't been to ASC or any mechanic for anything other than change of fluids (as suggested by Behram Sir). And I plan to even stop that once my warranty expires next month.
Dear Samwagon - thanks! At least you listened to me and you are implementing my request with good result, so I am happy!

My desired result was: Nothing happens to the car - EVER - the customer only adds fuel and drives. This result seems to be coming true! That word "EVER" raises the bar exponentially and changes the equation completely!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th October 2013, 11:09   #94
Senior - BHPian

The Anti roll bar is excellent. This is exactly what it should be to offer maximum protection to the driver. In an external one like this it would be better if at least the centre bar is slightly curved to actually assist the vehicle in the rare event of a roll. Otherwise it is a welll designed protection.

Make sure all bindings - nuts and bolts that attach the bar to vehicle bodyare fastened very tight with double cut washers in them.

Any issues with Air leak / water leaking into the cabin issues with Prabhu's hard top ?

Last edited by desertfox : 30th October 2013 at 11:11.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
I tend to agree. I guess even i have landed a peach. My Thar hasn't been to ASC or any mechanic for anything other than change of fluids (as suggested by Beharam Sir). And i plan to even stop that once my warranty expires next month. Maybe, forum member can compare notes and check if a particular batch of vehicles had problems.
It might be too early for me to say that my thar is a peach but I can say it is not a lemon either, going by the serious issues some others have faced.

I have covered 15000 kms so far which includes 70% city driving and the rest highway, with few OTRs (not very extreme). So far nothing critical has happened apart from the handbrake issue and a couple of blown taillights. I have also not faced the free pedal brake issue (if I can call it that) though I wont say the brakes are very efficient. The jeep fish tails badly when hitting a pothole over speeds of 50kmph but I think thats more to do with the design than a flaw with some particular component.

The vehicle always starts with a single crank and no funny noises from the engine/ chassis so far. I get an average of 11-12kmpl in the city. The canopy hasn't leaked even in the Mumbai rains though there is some condensation that usually forms at the roof in the centre.

Just hope that I haven't spoken too soon....
Old 30th October 2013, 19:40   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Any issues with Air leak / water leaking into the cabin issues with Prabhu's hard top ?
The cross bar on the top is actually curved if that's what you mean.
No issues with air and water leaks so far for the hard top.
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:17   #97
BHPian

Ready for Diwali Padwa, full wash and wax at home. Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-image1493131727.jpg Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-image1011120235.jpg Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-image2142463325.jpg

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 3rd November 2013 at 17:20.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 15:29   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
The jeep fish tails badly when hitting a pothole over speeds of 50kmph but I think thats more to do with the design than a flaw with some particular component.
So this term is called fish tail, I was not aware about this and I thought there is some issue with steering column thanks for sharing this.

This issue is reduced 80% for me after I shifted to 8J alloy wheels which increased the foot print and vehicle feels very planted now, I can hit 80 km/hr or more easily on bad roads.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 10th November 2013, 19:35   #99
BHPian

Winter is here, let enjoy the Jeep.

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-mahindra-thar-topless.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-mahindra-thar-topless-1.jpg

Live Young, Live Free - My Mahindra Thar CRDe 4WD-mahindra-thar-topless3.jpg
Thar4x4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:20   #100
BHPian

Looks really good without the soft top. If I got alloys added to my Thar they would be of the type you added.
Have you trimmed the front bumpers?
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 12:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Looks really good without the soft top. If I got alloys added to my Thar they would be of the type you added.
Have you trimmed the front bumpers?
Hey,
Thanks for compliment !

Surely, alloys is the best upgrade I had because the vehicle not only looks cool but it is very stable on high speed, fish tail and nervousness on pot holes is decreased drastically.

Yes the bumpers are trimmed from both side with help of roadside fabricator 50 Rs. job. While off-roading I smashed bumper, then it started starching left tyre on turning.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th November 2013, 16:22   #102
BHPian

Wow looks yummy. Wish i could take mine's Top off, but its already got too chilly in Delhi.
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 22:14   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vishal - 4914 looks just superb, congratulations. Let's meet one of these days, it's been quite some time since we met. I'll tell Gajanan and Sudarshan also. I want to drive the 8J rims, see how they are behaving. Get the spring steel bumperettes and the pintle hook from somewhere, it will complete and compliment the real Jeep look, nobody's done it so far!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 21:38   #104
BHPian

DB Sir,

I have a question relating Vishal's thar.

Is matching both the tracks (front & rear) have negated fish-tail effect or it is alloy wheels?

I have stock tyres & rims and I experienced fish-tail effect at high speed & bad roads.

Thanks in advance.

Neelesh
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 23:05   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
I have a question relating Vishal's thar. Is matching both the tracks (front & rear) have negated fish-tail effect or it is alloy wheels? I have stock tyres & rims and I experienced fish-tail effect at high speed & bad roads. Thanks in advance. Neelesh
Dear Neelesh - hello there! As you are from Pune and I work in Pune, let's catch up. I'll be delighted to meet you.

Your question cannot be answered in isolation. It's not just a question of matching tracks. Of course a rectangle is better than a frustum of a cone. Steering geometry cannot be compromised, especially a parameter called "scrub radius". Change in wheel rim offset changes the scrub radius. This means that it changes the tire's operating envelope (locus) completely. In absence of an engineering layout defining jounce (suspension compressed) / rebound (suspension expanded) / full articulation (position of two diagonal wheels just off the ground when the other two are jacked up and vehicle is steered with gross vehicle weight load), even in the best case scenario, the locus of operation of the tire with changed scrub radius can only be speculated, isn't it? On equalizing the rear track, as the wheel bearing location remains unchanged, eccentric loading of the bearing will increase, affecting bearing load carrying capacity and design life. This is a semi-floating axle with one bearing. If the track has to be increased, it calls for a longer axle tube / axle shafts. Axle testing is itself a major assignment on rig / vehicles. Also, body articulation needs to be layout defined and tested. There is something called "coefficient of rolling resistance" also. Then the vehicle's unladen weight changes. If it gets into a different inertia class, then it gets into emissions testing for the great CMVR. Satisfied or you want more? Whew! .

99 vehicles out of 100 move on non-standard wheel rims and tires these days but that does not change engineering equations. Please PM me your mobile number, let's meet, I'll draw the layout and explain to you!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed