Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 22:03   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi all,
Can I have an information about the JONGA with 3 windshield vents ???
These are from 1st lot of JONGA's from VFJ...

Regards,
Hrishikesh
You mean two windsheild and a U shaped gap between the two. Its was used for mounting RCL antitank weapon.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:58   #137
BHPian

@ Sir Alec,
Yes sir, you guessed perfectly....
somewhere I have read that it used to have a high capacity fuel tank & also a specially fabricated water tank....
Is it correct ???
Can you give me some more information about it ????

I need information as I am preparing blog about this magnificent vehicle...
my blog ID is: VFJ JONGA - AN INDIAN HUMVEE
I would like to hear from you some suggestions about the postings on blog...
Regards,
Hrishikesh
Old 18th May 2009, 08:41   #138
BHPian

@ Sir Alec,
Can you please give me some information about these JONGA's ?

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Old 18th May 2009, 13:06   #139
BHPian

Quote:
@ Sir Alec,

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Hi,

Taking forward what SirAlec mentioned, the RCL gun was mounted on both the Jonga's and the 3B's. These were used extensively during the 71 war and they were a nightmare for the Pakistani armored regiments. After the war was over American experts came to examine the RCL guns as that time the American Patton's armor was indestructible. The Americans wanted to see the gun that blew their tank to bits and pieces. The guns mounted on the jeep made them easily maneuverable and tough targets for the tanks.

But just a warning, if you ever plan on buying such vehicles I recommend a you to thoroughly check the chassis.

Regards,

Randeep
Old 18th May 2009, 22:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Sir Alec,

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Unfortunalely i have very little knowledge about jongas history, Did managed to fiddle a few engines.

here are few links which might help

JONGA - A tribute to Indian army's favourite SUV | Articles | Car Forums - CarWale.com

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/t.../05/26/&prd=mp&
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:19   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post
Hey Iqbal
My uncle was in the army (now retired) and I do have fond memories of him in a Jonga too. This was about 20 yrs ago, and for a kid the jonga seemed like the titanic.
Well as for your question on where the Jonga's have gone, I had the misfortune of seeing a Jonga being broken down in the local "gujli" to extract and sell the metal. Sadly I guess lots of Jonga's have gone down this road.
One of my friends though has managed to get his hands on a Jonga - with the original petrol engine. This lucky Jonga is on the restoration road now. He has managed to get the mechanicals working (it took 3 months to get parts etc). Now he is working on the body, he is planning on doing the interiors last.
I got to see it recently and I must say that it still looks as intimidating as ever

GB
hI . Gypsy-Boy in last thread you had mentioned about one of your friends who got hold of a petrol Jonga and is going for restoration any more news about the project how about some photos of the vehicle before restoration, pls post them if you can.
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:53   #142
BHPian

Hi Iqbal
I should be going to see the Jonga today / tomorrow.
Will take some pics then.
The work is progressing at a snails pace considering the parts (lack of) availability. Due to this, my updates on the monster are slow.
GB
Old 25th May 2009, 18:41   #143
BHPian

The 3 vent windscreen was used in the earlier examples original jonga, the Nissan patrol G60. The 2-vents were used later, somewhere in 66-68. There are very few differences between the two, mainly being:
1) 3 vents patrols motor had an external engine breathe, and a long pipe going over the height of the pinton top dead center, and a few holes for venting air at the top. For some reason the Nissan 1-ton carriers used by the Indian army used this engine quite a lot.
The 2 vent Patrol had a Pcv valve layout at the engine brether, therefore wasn't exhausted.

2) steering wheel as well as steering box was different in both. For some reason the Indian jongas used about 3 types of steering boxes, with the earlier ones quite prone to coming lose while on the move. As far as steering wheels are concerned, the Indian VFJ produced both types of steering wheels but lots of different center section horn buttons. It had the following names stamped on the button,
VFJ (some had it stamped in English and some in Hindi)
Patrol (some had it stamped in English and some in Hindi)
Nissan (some had it stamped in English and some in Hindi)
Jonga (some had it stamped in English and some in Hindi).

3) The 3 vent Patrol used a different front axle knuckle joint ( called the rezeppa something joint, but it was prone to wearing out fast, while being probably the strongest joint of all, pound for pound had the lubrication problems not weaken it) , a brass knuckle bearing, a different rear axle shaft design. The 2 vent Patrol had a birfield joint.

4) The speedo guage( the earlier indian jongas used the stock meters, wich were just a pair of big 5" dials, whereas the later jongas had a whole platoon of guages on the guage panel) for the 3 vent Patrol was driven through the front drive engagement seation of the trasfer case instead of the rear section as used in the rest of the 4 wheel drive vehicles. It meant that incase a front hub disconnect is used, the spoodo would stop reading. The 2 vent Patrol corrected that.

5) Fuel tank capacity, 3 vent Patrol had a smaller fuel tank

6) Besides the different no of vents on the windscreen (which could be pushed open to let in fresh air into the automobile interior, much like whats used in the CJ3A, or done by pushing open the glass panle on earlier mahindras), the 3 vent Patrol has split doors on the soft-top models. The doors, with a glass panel that can be rolled up and down, the door had the upper and lower panels, i.e. above and below the round and broader section of the doors starts, bolted by a few bolts, which could be seperated within minutes giving a lower profile to the vehicle when the top is taken off and the windscreen lowered. also, it looks was better than the full door when going TOPLESS.

7)cannot remember more at the moment.

The RCL jonga was used probably only on the 2 windscreen jongas because i haven't come across any 3 vent jongas as yet with the contraption mounted. Contrary to the popular belief, probably few to none jongas used the Anti-tank guns as mounted on the jeeps. I don't remember the name of the gun, but it was some American some 105mm recoiless gun. On the jeep the suspension was re-enforced with another coil spring set rear, whereas the jonga did not use this sort of combination, atleast i never saw one.
The Jonga uses the French Milan wire-guided anti tank missile. The front windscreen is cut in a about 6" wide square section in the middle, with a small 4" height glass panel mounted on the lower most part of the cut-portion, and a U-shape panet welded on the upper portion of the windscreen. It has hooks welded to the front mudguards to mount water sacks, etc to. The driver section was fitted with 2 small seat instead of the bench in the patrol. It has a box built into the center section of both the seats. Underneth the driver's seat is a water tank, with a nice aluminium tank stopper, and crude ancient tap protuding towards the outside of the patrol from the drivers side. The passenger side is mostly used as a gun and ammo spare parts and tools. The rear most section of the patrol, right where the cornors are, is cut up and substituted by just a floor built in diamond sheet for the gun crew to stand. The tub of the rear section is mounted by a contraption to store a few rounds of ready to fire ammo. Also instead of the normal Jonga 70-75 liter fuel tank, the RCL type uses the tank from its larger sibling, the Nissan 1-ton carrier, which has a 110liter fuel cpacity.

I don't have any pictures of Patrols during overhauling, because frankly i was never interested in the patrols P-type motor. Rather i wated a coal burner motor. Some time ago, a workshop manual was avialable on the net which i downloaded, but it, for some unknown reason is missing the engine section, although i can help you with the axle, gearbox, transfercase, steering, wiring, body, etc sections.

But the most important thing to consider even before you go looking for engine overhaul manuals si to please find out engine parts. So far(as far as the lessor available parts are concerned), i could only find 2 crank-rods, 1 differetial cage, 1 stock hitachi carburater, half a stock waterproof distributer, a few fuel pumps, especially the stock Denki/injecto japanese ones, 0=good company pistons and rings,0= good condition gasket set, 0= engine mounts, very few water pump assemblies,etc.
The point is, please find out if all the parts needed for a full overhaul are available before youeven think of opening up the motor.
Take care,
Bikram
Old 5th June 2009, 12:31   #144
BHPian

@ Bikram,
Really thanks for the valuable information.
I have searched for the waterproof distributor cap in Mumbai here but the search is in vain. They told me that come after 20th June.
@ Gypsy Boy,
Try for some pics of your friend's JONGA.
Regards,
Hrishikesh
Old 5th June 2009, 15:46   #145
BHPian

Hey Hrishikesh

My friends Jonga is in the garage but the work is pending on it.
Incidentally my friend also has a Ford low bonnet which he wants restored first before starting on the next project (namely Jonga).
I havent seen the Jonga in a few months.
Will post some pics of the ford once it is restored.

GB
Old 5th June 2009, 21:41   #146
BHPian

@ Gypsy Boy,
Whenever you are going to post the pics of your friend's JONGA, try for the interior pics including a 4WD shift & also a steering wheel.
Regards,
Hrishikesh
Old 8th September 2009, 00:17   #147
BHPian

Guys, fellow bhpian, Abhilashn's Jonga is featured in this months BS Motoring issue. I have scanned the article for you guys. Great going Abhilash..
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_0001-large.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_0002-large.jpg  

Old 8th September 2009, 18:56   #148
BHPian

Abhilash Congrats on yet another coverge of your JONGA after May 2008 Autocar India issue.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:50   #149
Senior - BHPian

any idea about these jonga vehicles??

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-jonga.jpg

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-jonga-1.jpg

source-orkut
Old 8th November 2009, 09:19   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
any idea about these jonga vehicles??

Attachment 223668

Attachment 223669

source-orkut

These were the civilian variants of the Jonga, to make it more appealing to customer who were buying SUMOs/Commanders and Trax [long wheel base] the the gypsy,540,340s etc [short wheel base]
All the variants came with 4Liter Hino engines with 108bhps[out of the shaktiman truck] and 3 speed gear box as standard and a 5 speeder optional gear box.
There were couple of the Gypsy look alike sold, but not the long wheel base versions.

Last edited by dinar : 8th November 2009 at 09:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks