Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2016, 16:55   #196
BANNED

Nissan Jonga in india

Hi friends, A friend from the U.S. is interested in starting the manufacture of the jonga in india again.he wants to know
if he can purchase the old plant from the govt of india and what is the procedure for that. His idea
is to retain the old body shell and differentials with a newer engine, gearbox and disc brakes etc. Will it
be a viable proposition and if there would be a market for it.TIA.
hps aulakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 22:19   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Jonga in india

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
Hi friends, A friend from the U.S. is interested in starting the manufacture of the jonga in india again.

Am I reading it right?

Quote:
he wants to know if he can purchase the old plant from the govt of india and what is the procedure for that.
IMO the abandoned old plants will be of no use as per today's standards. As per my understanding such plants were only auctioned and I'm not sure if there is any such plant left out. Auctioned plants were mostly dismantled and the infrastructure is being used for other applications or demolished.

Quote:
His idea is to retain the old body shell and differentials with a newer engine, gearbox and disc brakes etc.
Body shell can be made from the same tools (if available still), which powertrain he is looking for?

Quote:
Will it be a viable proposition
Manufacturing will be viable after spending a huuuuge investment on infrastructure, design & development, homologation, manufacturing, after sales support, etc. But as a business, it is highly not viable for someone who is new to the market.

Quote:
if there would be a market for it.TIA.
Even if Nissan India is bringing back the Jonga, it's quite doubtful if our market will accept it considering the pricing and limited after sales support.

Wait!
After saying all these, will Nissan let someone to manufacture their product which was already phased out?
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 00:03   #198
BHPian

Nissan Jonga was being manufactured by vehicle factory jabalpur (VFJ) in technical collaboration with Nissan exclusively for Indian Army. The Jonga's which you see in the civil market are auctioned army scrap vehicles. The Jonga had petrol engines and had kpl ranging from meagre 3 to best 5.5 km, they were fuel guzzlers, were outdated and hence army replaced them with maruti gypsy in mid nineties. VFJ was on the verge of shutdown as production of both Jonga and its big brother the famed Nissan 1Ton had stopped. VFJ then tried to sell these Jongas to the civic population albeit with some cosmetic changes (had seen an advt in papers) but there were hardly any takers so being a government organisation they were not allowed to be closed down by the employees. The solution given was to keep VFJ afloat by assembling SKD TATA 2.5 Ton and Ashok Leyland stallion. This process continued for a few years and since most of the VFJ facility could not be gainfully employed some restructuring was carried out and apart from a few components from OEM most of the 2.5 Ton and Stallion is being manufactured by them. The vehicles from this lot prominently carry the VFJ badge on their fronts before the respective OEM badges.

@hps aulakh I am sure the production line of Jongas would have been auctioned by now or rotted beyond salvaging.. Tough luck but I don't know why your friend wants to buy that line as I am sure the government will not allow him to operate from VFJ premises and it will be a costly logistical nightmare to shift, even if we assume that the line exists. It would be cheaper to start a new line with inputs or design documents from VFJ.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 5th December 2016 at 00:04.
RajeVenu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 09:30   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

You/He should do a grounds up research on how to start an automotive company. I would suggest take cues from DC and similar ones, and learn what they have done & they have faired.

After which, I think you will see that a better idea is to start a restoration or customisation workshop/company.

Restore old Jonga's and sell.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 10:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You/He should do a grounds up research on how to start an automotive company. I would suggest take cues from DC and similar ones, and learn what they have done & they have faired.

After which, I think you will see that a better idea is to start a restoration or customisation workshop/company.

Restore old Jonga's and sell.
The jonga is a rebadged 1st generation of the Nissan Patrol (their 1960 model P60 or Patrol 60) - named for the Vehicle Factory Jabalpur as Jabalpur Ordnance and Gun Carriage Assembly or something of the sort.

Nissan still sells quite a lot of much newer generation Patrols in markets like Australia where a luxurious + capable off roader can just make its own market. Sold as a competitor to the Toyota Land Cruiser.

5.6 litre V8 engine (298kW / 560Nm)
7-speed automatic with manual mode
3,500kg braked towing capacity
ALL MODE 4x4 with Multi Surface Selection
Rear View Camera

http://www.nissan.com.au/Cars-Vehicles/Patrol/Overview
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 11:58   #201
BANNED

Thank you all for the responses. He has seen the jonga or Nissan Patrol G60 in the US and Colombia where some are maintained in immaculate condition. What if he gets in touch with the right sources in the govt and picks up the old plant which is lying defunct in Jabalpur.

But like you say he may have problems with Nissan Motors regarding the licence. Any way I shall pass on the comments to him and ask him to try his luck with the govt.Thank you once again.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2016 at 12:00. Reason: Poorly typed post
hps aulakh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th December 2019, 09:09   #202
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?

Reviving an old thread.

Saw this beautifully restored Nissan Patrol P60 aka Jonga the other day in Jodhpur.

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_20191130_153526012.jpeg

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_20191130_153421012.jpeg

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_20191130_153609012.jpeg

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-img_20191130_153555014.jpeg
//M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:52   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw this beautifully restored Nissan Patrol P60 aka Jonga the other day in Jodhpur.
What a beauty - thanks for sharing. I am awed just looking at the ground clearance and approach/departure/RBO angles of this thing! Damn - with the right engine and tyres, this machine is virtually unstoppable.

On a related note, it is sad to see what Nisaan as a company has become. From producing vehicles like this to what they are dishing out now

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th December 2019 at 18:56.
Old 14th January 2022, 14:54   #204
Senior - BHPian

Nissan 1 a.k.a Jonga somewhere in north India. Its looks HUGE.

Received on Whatsapp.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-271827646_5125789937483405_1661952930212147042_n.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-271832729_5125790127483386_3326062383217946132_n.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-271851045_5125789957483403_2887265443374701564_n.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Nissan 1 a.k.a Jonga somewhere in north India. Its looks HUGE.

Received on Whatsapp.
Its not Jonga but Nissan 4W73 or 1 tonne as lovingly called in army.
Old 4th February 2022, 11:47   #206
Senior - BHPian

The Mighty Nissan Jonga spotted again. Received on Whatsapp.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-j1.jpg  

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-j2.jpg  

Old 4th February 2022, 19:36   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
The Mighty Nissan Jonga spotted again. Received on Whatsapp.
This is not a real Jonga as per an IG post (the side profile picture is a give away) and said it is a modified Thar V1.

However they are wrong about it being Thar. It is Bolero.
Old 5th February 2022, 01:58   #208
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a Nissan 4W73 aka 1 Ton.
Old 5th February 2022, 03:13   #209
Senior - BHPian

In 2019, cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni added the Nissan 1 ton aka the Nissan 4W73 series truck to his collection.

Dedicated Tbhp thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ollection.html (MS Dhoni's impressive car and bike collection)

Recently in January 2022, cricketer Surya Kumar Yadav added the same vehicle to his collection.

Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-suryakumar_3.jpg

Source: https://www.cartoq.com/cricketer-sur...-nissan-1-ton/

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 5th February 2022 at 03:20.
Old 5th February 2022, 10:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
This is not a real Jonga as per an IG post (the side profile picture is a give away) and said it is a modified Thar V1.

However they are wrong about it being Thar. It is Bolero.
Quoting myself to add more details

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/mahindr...-12425310.html

P. S. I have seen a few Jongas here in my childhood and they did not look anything like the ones shared here. They all looked like Toyota FJ40 more or less. What was that model, anyone recalls?

Last edited by amol4184 : 5th February 2022 at 10:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks