Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2006, 10:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Yeah the yellow Jongas rocks !!. Ram whatu have said is absolutely right. I hardly find people taking their scorpios, Sierra's, Safari's etc ( the so called SUV's ) to any rugged terrain...they ride them only tru cities !!!! .
If you had lived on the earlier avatar of the infamous Bannerghata Road, you'd be less dismissive Or the Mysore - Coorg stretch, or (infinite other backroads around Karnataka)
Old 16th May 2006, 21:07   #32
BHPian

The Jonga is one awesome machine. Since my dad was in the armed forces, I had the privilege of learning bit of my driving skills in a Jonga way back in the early ninetees. The Jonga which we had was a brand new one, and I must tell you that it was one brute performance oriented monster. It could start from stationary in the 3rd gear which happened to be its top gear... I have travelled a lot in it, be it hills or plains apart from some God forsaken places... but at the end of the day, for a autobuff it was a pure delight to be in...
Old 17th May 2006, 10:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
If you had lived on the earlier avatar of the infamous Bannerghata Road, you'd be less dismissive Or the Mysore - Coorg stretch, or (infinite other backroads around Karnataka)
LOL! I did the 80 ft road in Koramangala during the infamous floods and let me assure you it wont be very different from driving on the moon. Obviously you wont have water up there...
Old 19th May 2006, 22:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
LOL! I did the 80 ft road in Koramangala during the infamous floods and let me assure you it wont be very different from driving on the moon. Obviously you wont have water up there...
Oh Yes but now the roads have improved a lot !! Thanks to HDK
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:40   #35

Jonga

Hi Guys,

I got a Jonga more than a year back. we restored it back to its original glory. It took us almost close to a year to complete the project.

We have kept the six cylinder petrol engine intact. The second and the third gear had absolutely worn out and We got the second and third gear from a Nissan 1 tonner....

it was featured in the Auto car issue of May 2008.

Will post the restoration story in detail. here is a pic of the vehicle...
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Jonga! Can I have some details about this monster truck?-jonga_640x480.jpg  

abhilashn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

that's an awsome ride dude.. btw.. there are some army shaktiman's and swaraj mazda's and those alwyn nissan cabstar's and some 1210 se's getting borken up near CST road Kurla.. if anyone interest may reach the place as soon as he can.
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:52   #37
BHPian

@ Abhi that's an awesome Jonga that u have got. Will be looking forward to read abt the restoration project.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_jughead View Post
Since my dad's in the army,i've had the oppurtunity to ride in this vehicle.Now I think its completely been phased out.The ones i had the misfortune to travel in, were rickety ol' things.We hated travelling in them.They had the tendency to breakdown every other day.But maybe thats because of the fact that they were quite old,and with new ones not being bought,the army was tryin to get as much usage from them as it cud.
me too! my father was in the navy. i can relate to everything you said. i remember there was one jonga that was abandoned in navy nagar in mumbai (near gemini if anyones been that side). it was lying open for a number of years and we used to sit inside and play in it good times!

my other memory of jongas was when my father was posted to delhi. we stayed in a place called kota house (somewhere in new delhi). there were these modded jongas being run in a rally. a few of them were parked in kota house...

the last i heard about it was that they were planning to sell a 4liter version to the public (as opposed to the bigger 6l army version). never saw any on the road though i kept dreaming of owning one as a teenager
Old 4th June 2008, 10:12   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

what a superb vehicle!!
I saw the feature on Autocar.
well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashn View Post
Hi Guys,

I got a Jonga more than a year back. we restored it back to its original glory. It took us almost close to a year to complete the project.

We have kept the six cylinder petrol engine intact. The second and the third gear had absolutely worn out and We got the second and third gear from a Nissan 1 tonner....

it was featured in the Auto car issue of May 2008.

Will post the restoration story in detail. here is a pic of the vehicle...
Old 4th June 2008, 10:25   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashn View Post
Hi Guys,

I got a Jonga more than a year back. we restored it back to its original glory.
Congrats. The end result looks fabulous. Its wonderful to see someone lavish so much attention to detail on a rugged respected offroader. Am especially happy to note you retained the petrol six. Even the Nissan 1ton truck sounds so wonderful in petrol guise. Have fun

Last edited by DKG : 4th June 2008 at 10:26.
Old 4th June 2008, 10:37   #41
Team-BHP Support

I have seen a retired (in a sad way) Jonga parked at the Zorastrian club Hyderabad.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Jonga was an incredibly capable vehicle. I used to go on geology expeditions to all kinds of god forsaken places along with my late grand dad in his official jonga and boy, was it great fun.infact once we did a Spiti Valley to Dehradun non stop (more than 20 hours I think, was ages ago so not sure about the timing but remember that the journey never seemed to end No problems what so ever

Last edited by sammyboy : 4th June 2008 at 11:06. Reason: addition
Old 4th June 2008, 11:34   #43
BHPian

I think Gurkha (the bhpian) has a Jonga too.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

^^ yes, TeamBHP member Gurkha has the limited edition diesel version of the Jonga, which was also sold to civilians.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:12   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have seen a retired (in a sad way) Jonga parked at the Zorastrian club Hyderabad.
Yeah I remember seeing that too last year. Looked like a (poor) runner to me though.

Most Viewed